Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You know how to have a theoretically 100% pure sample of ethanol, you would need a perfectly dry environment because it will naturally attract any water? No reason why I thought of that just now when looking at Benny Shaps and Tucker Carlson together. Completely unrelated.

EDIT: Godawful snipe, I must apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Eh, av/post combo

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Notable pedophile Matt Walsh has apparently graduated from not understanding what a woman is to not understanding what a Disney movie is.

So, they are just copying After Hours?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Him defending Gaston makes a lot of sense. Dude basically killed the Beast for looking scary but at the same time everyone in that movie is just the worst and these assholes love nothing more than to say my team's horrible poo poo is okay if the other team also does horrible poo poo.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Islamic Shock posted:

Him defending Gaston makes a lot of sense. Dude basically killed the Beast for looking scary but at the same time everyone in that movie is just the worst and these assholes love nothing more than to say my team's horrible poo poo is okay if the other team also does horrible poo poo.

I mean again, it's literally a plagiarized video I assume.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hbomberguy stirs, knowing he has been called once again to a terrible task but not yet knowing why

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kith posted:

hbomberguy stirs, knowing he has been called once again to a terrible task but not yet knowing why

I feel bad for hbomberguy since I am not polluting my timeline with checking but looking but yah, it looks like its the same argument without the irony.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 1, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
e: all right, you are probably right

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2024

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

OgNar posted:

But they somehow dont think this was related to all the other death threats for taking Trump off the ballot.

I think by "don't believe it's linked to previous threats" they mean they don't think the guy who did the shooting made any threats or was connected to anyone who did, not that this guy had a completely different motive from everyone who made the threats. That's plausible to me - for anyone who's actually going to commit a violent crime, making the threat is counterproductive. But for the people unwilling/unable to commit the crime, their best way to distress the target is to just make the threat.

I basically read it as "don't blame us for not stopping this guy in advance, yes there were a lot of threats but none of those threats pointed to this guy at all."

EDIT: You should restore the rest of your post! It's important news and it's good you shared

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 2, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/cynicalzoomer/status/1742367620924334185

Apparently Fox News held a tarot reading for Trump last night.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Wasn't this kid supposed to be a darling of the right? So why is it so hard for him to find work?
https://twitter.com/EldianParticles/status/1742351382152118522?t=1pr51GGlccfccHIfbJNIBA&s=19

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Panfilo posted:

Wasn't this kid supposed to be a darling of the right? So why is it so hard for him to find work?
https://twitter.com/EldianParticles/status/1742351382152118522?t=1pr51GGlccfccHIfbJNIBA&s=19

Because he's too much of a fuckin' goober to parrot stupid opinions in a convincing or appealing way.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Because he's too much of a fuckin' goober to parrot stupid opinions in a convincing or appealing way.

That and his legal strategy was "cry really hard and whine about how traumatized he was that he shot and killed those people" which kinda messed with the whole strongman "heh, yeah, I stood my ground officer, I feel nothing for the animals I put down" fantasy the far right has. They want someone who will double down and say that they'd do it again in a heartbeat, and people should go out and follow his example the next time there's a protest. They'll celebrate his acquittal, but he's not the Kid Rambo they want him to be, so into the memory hole he goes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lol what the hell is he even going to write about in a book? The kid’s what, 20?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

lol what the hell is he even going to write about in a book? The kid’s what, 20?

He seems to have the equivalent education of an 8 year old, so I imagine even the ghostwriters had a really hard time with complex words or anything containing multiple syllables.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
241 whole pages according to Amazon. And you can pre order a signed copy for the low price of fifty bucks.

It's all grifts all the way down.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
those ghost written books look like some sort of paper back format too, hell even cheap trash bottom tier. like even most rightwing media trash has the money to get a hard cover.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Skios posted:

https://twitter.com/cynicalzoomer/status/1742367620924334185

Apparently Fox News held a tarot reading for Trump last night.

Five of Cups pointed upwards from the dealer means "you are going to lose" you can make up fortune telling as a concept but you sure can't Make This poo poo Up

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Or to do anything else. He's just a useless person whose sole claim to fame is getting away with murder, and even that was only useful to the right-wing world when it served the "BLM riots" narrative. The narrative has moved on and so his usefulness has expired, and now he's just white OJ begging for money.

But yes he is also a very stupid person.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 3, 2024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also kid wants a nice 6 figure job, maybe a flashy one where he's the supa star because his ego got a taste of being the main character.

like he could be another cog in local political machine, just a modest (if evil) daily grind

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Like it's interesting that police departments don't even want him. You'd think he'd be a shoe in.

There was also fear that he would inspire copycats...so why haven't we seen that actually happen? Large scale protests about the situation in Gaza and I don't see any chuds stepping up about people blocking streets or disrupting events, which is also a little surprising.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

PhazonLink posted:

also kid wants a nice 6 figure job, maybe a flashy one where he's the supa star because his ego got a taste of being the main character.

like he could be another cog in local political machine, just a modest (if evil) daily grind

This is similar to Nick Sandmann who also vanished off the news after his settlement, only popping up out of whatever sewer he exists in to support Rittenhouse (and likely try to ride his coattails). People thought they'd be darlings of the alt right but that didn't seem to pan out.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
It's probably the same dynamics as child actors - very few are able to maintain their career momentum into adulthood.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

This is similar to Nick Sandmann who also vanished off the news after his settlement, only popping up out of whatever sewer he exists in to support Rittenhouse (and likely try to ride his coattails). People thought they'd be darlings of the alt right but that didn't seem to pan out.

He was extremely inarticulate and awkward thanks to being 14 or whatever he was. I think the lawsuit campaign and notoriety were designed by the parents to prevent rich-people doors from closing for him later in life via planting a counter-narrative. Now he’ll be able to rape poor girls at Duke and get a job at an antiabortion ngo after law school, just like he would have before he harassed an old man and called a bunch of women whores on his field trip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i dont even remember who Nick Sandman is.

name sounds like one of those white/american names from japanese or nonenglish devs/writers make for their token white/american person. going form context clues / fuzzy memory sounds like some of the pipeline bros?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No he was some kid who appeared to be saying racist poo poo to some minorities in DC and apparently the clip was taken out of context or something

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No, he absolutely was harassing an old guy who was part of an american indian rights protest. The part that cnn “got wrong” was that he wasn’t mocking the guy by doing a mock american indian chant, but trying to drown him out with sport chants and dances from his prep school, which is still mocking and harassing him, imo. The counternarrative he presented on tv with the help of his parents’ lawyer was that some black israelites called his group a bunch of crackers right before the american indian protest and so he deserves credit for stoically enduring anti-white discrimination. Also the videos he released show him and his friends harassing adult women (by yelling at them, not by grabbing them or something) and calling them whores earlier in the day iirc.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They were also allegedly harassing people at the women’s march.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I hope he finds a job before he resorts to showing up at another protest with a gun.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Nebrilos posted:

I hope he finds a job before he resorts to showing up at another protest with a gun.

one weird 'trick'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

That and his legal strategy was "cry really hard and whine about how traumatized he was that he shot and killed those people" which kinda messed with the whole strongman "heh, yeah, I stood my ground officer, I feel nothing for the animals I put down" fantasy the far right has. They want someone who will double down and say that they'd do it again in a heartbeat, and people should go out and follow his example the next time there's a protest. They'll celebrate his acquittal, but he's not the Kid Rambo they want him to be, so into the memory hole he goes.

I believe he's also said in interviews that he has nothing against BLM in general, which makes him far less attractive as a symbol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah he acknowledged that black people are human which immediately rules him out for the right wing gravy train.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Panfilo posted:

There was also fear that he would inspire copycats...so why haven't we seen that actually happen?
Much like I tell people that the #1 theft deterrent is people not wanting to steal, the #1 thing stopping another Rittenhouse is that there are VERY few people psychopathic enough to want to go out people-hunting and be the next Rittenhouse. Even the people that openly fantasize about it are mostly not actually insane enough to go out in public with a rifle to go people-hunting.

On top of that, the legal defenses for this type of thing are not the kind of thing that you can just One Weird Trick your way into, and the punishments are extremely severe if those defenses don't work. Even in states with insane SYG laws, someone doing what he did is taking a huge gamble on getting away with it, especially if they don't wind up with a sympathetic jury. If their defense fails, their life as they know it is over. Even if it works, it is going to follow them for the rest of their life.

Also, following them for the rest of their life doesn't just mean being a pariah, it also means a lot of people wanting them dead. George Zimmerman's already had one attempt on his life over the Trayvon Martin shooting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This Mark Kaye fellow said something like this today and he was absolutely right.

Paraphrasing here but it was along the lines of "The biggest thing that the rich elites who control everything and keep the middle class eating salami sandwiches while they dine on fois gras lunches with 3 martinis really don't want is for you to have access to accurate information that tells you what's really going on and honest reporting in the news. It's in their best interest for 90% of the population to think that they're doing us a favor letting us chew the bones of their Porterhouse steak dinners and their intention is to divide us by feeding us nothing but lies and distracting us with sensationalistic bullshit"

Something like that anyway. But he was talking about CNN, the NYT, MSNBC, and Latte Liberals, etc. It was a classic Rovian tactic of accusing your opponents/enemies of EXACTLY what you are doing.

I'll post the exact transcript if I can track it down but it was SO on point that if you just read it somewhere at random, you'd really go "man, this guy is RIGHT" and think he was talking a shot at "job creators" and assholes like Murdoch, Musk, Bezos, etc. Except he was saying it with the assumed truth that Trump tells it like it is and FOX News is getting too liberal and attempting to frame it like that. It was close to how so many talk radio hosts are really catching on that law enforcement can be full of poo poo and weaponized but they mean because Trump is being charged with 91 felonies. Not that black people shouldn't be murdered by cops or anything like that.

I wanted to call in and tell him how much I agreed with him and then go into my spiel about that's why we need someone like a young Bernie Sanders, UHC, abolish lobbyists raise the social security cap and crack down on SCOTUS justices accepting expensive gifts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

OneEightHundred posted:

Much like I tell people that the #1 theft deterrent is people not wanting to steal, the #1 thing stopping another Rittenhouse is that there are VERY few people psychopathic enough to want to go out people-hunting and be the next Rittenhouse. Even the people that openly fantasize about it are mostly not actually insane enough to go out in public with a rifle to go people-hunting.

On top of that, the legal defenses for this type of thing are not the kind of thing that you can just One Weird Trick your way into, and the punishments are extremely severe if those defenses don't work. Even in states with insane SYG laws, someone doing what he did is taking a huge gamble on getting away with it, especially if they don't wind up with a sympathetic jury. If their defense fails, their life as they know it is over. Even if it works, it is going to follow them for the rest of their life.

Also, following them for the rest of their life doesn't just mean being a pariah, it also means a lot of people wanting them dead. George Zimmerman's already had one attempt on his life over the Trayvon Martin shooting.

I know there was one goober who was also threatening protestors around the same time, he'd go to various protests and try to escalate a conflict but thankfully he was eventually arrested and charged before he could kill anyone.

The nature of the victims of Rittenhouse is also likely a factor; one was a convicted sex offender, the other committed domestic violence against his partner. This helped build a narrative that Rittenhouse "stopped a wife beater and a pedophile". But like you said, that was a gamble and even Rittenhouse himself wasn't certain he'd get away Scott free.

If another Rittenhouse tries to pull the same thing, there's a chance the victim has a squeaky clean record in which case it's harder to victim blame. Then there's also the DA, and after the last debacle I doubt the next Rittenhouse would have nearly the same luck.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's probably the same dynamics as child actors - very few are able to maintain their career momentum into adulthood.

This thread brings up the failed actor/comedian to chud media host pipeline now and then and it's relevant here: Even a bad actor spent more time learning how to work a crowd and fake an emotional response than the average person, and kids like Sandmann and Rittenhouse were thoroughly average until their fifteen minutes came up

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That judge in the Rittenhouse case was quite a poo poo.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

This Mark Kaye fellow said something like this today and he was absolutely right.

Paraphrasing here but it was along the lines of "The biggest thing that the rich elites who control everything and keep the middle class eating salami sandwiches while they dine on fois gras lunches with 3 martinis really don't want is for you to have access to accurate information that tells you what's really going on and honest reporting in the news. It's in their best interest for 90% of the population to think that they're doing us a favor letting us chew the bones of their Porterhouse steak dinners and their intention is to divide us by feeding us nothing but lies and distracting us with sensationalistic bullshit"

Something like that anyway. But he was talking about CNN, the NYT, MSNBC, and Latte Liberals, etc. It was a classic Rovian tactic of accusing your opponents/enemies of EXACTLY what you are doing.

I'll post the exact transcript if I can track it down but it was SO on point that if you just read it somewhere at random, you'd really go "man, this guy is RIGHT" and think he was talking a shot at "job creators" and assholes like Murdoch, Musk, Bezos, etc. Except he was saying it with the assumed truth that Trump tells it like it is and FOX News is getting too liberal and attempting to frame it like that. It was close to how so many talk radio hosts are really catching on that law enforcement can be full of poo poo and weaponized but they mean because Trump is being charged with 91 felonies. Not that black people shouldn't be murdered by cops or anything like that.

I wanted to call in and tell him how much I agreed with him and then go into my spiel about that's why we need someone like a young Bernie Sanders, UHC, abolish lobbyists raise the social security cap and crack down on SCOTUS justices accepting expensive gifts.
Seems like they never try this angle when a leftist capable of telling the audience the actual real root causes of, and solutions to, whatever they're complaining about is in the room

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

...! posted:

That judge in the Rittenhouse case was quite a poo poo.

He all but had Rittenhouse sitting in his lap through the trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He all but had Rittenhouse sitting in his lap through the trial.

Here's a little 15 minute look at that Hannity Christmas movie and yikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuBApJPboxg

I also found a 2 hour podcast episode on it by God Awful Movies. WIll link it if it's any good