Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Some huge portion of dui convictions are normal people who had a beer at dinner and drove home and didn’t come to a complete stop at a stop sign. They plead down to a day in jail and huge fines.

The other portion are shotgunning handles of vodka while swerving all over the place.

Zero tolerance laws are a money making scheme and nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

anyway. alcoholic motorists slaughtering countless bystanders and people apologizing for them isn't really noticing something got shittier for no reason

we call that "out of scope" on the modmin team. and that's another ticket successfully closed

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Good work hot cocoa I can safely say you’ve actually improved this thread

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

shazbot posted:

Some huge portion of dui convictions are normal people who had a beer at dinner and drove home and didn’t come to a complete stop at a stop sign. They plead down to a day in jail and huge fines.

The other portion are shotgunning handles of vodka while swerving all over the place.

Unless you weigh like 80 pounds you're still legally allowed to drive after a single beer, if you're getting pulled over after that alcohol either affects you differently or you were a terrible driver in the first place.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If you don't want to be run over by a vehicle be in a bigger vehicle.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 4, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

If you don't want to be run over by a vehicle be in a bigger vehicle.

simple as. and that's the final word on the matter

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Today I was scooping some hummus out of the container (Sabra brand) into my couscous and I noticed the huge convex bulge in the middle.

Motherfucks be shorting me on my hummus. Don't know when this happened but I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore

Beastie fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 4, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

shazbot posted:

something like 95% of alcoholic drinks in the US are consumed by <5% of the population. We put all these laws in place to try and stop that <5%, but ain't nothin' stoppin alkies.

for content - loving electric tooth brush bristles. Somehow I am visibly wearing them down within a few weeks, and about every other brush one of the bristles comes out entirely :dafuq:

although I did order these off Amazon.. did I get knockoff Oral b toothbrush heads? :ohdear:

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Beastie posted:

Today I was scooping some hummus out of the container (Sabra brand) into my couscous and I noticed the huge convex bulge in the middle.

Motherfucks be shorting me on my hummus. Don't know when this happened but I'm made as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore

They’ve been doing this for a while. So much so that we find it better to just stop at the Greek place across the street and get 8oz of fresh delicious hummus for 6.50, which is like 2 bucks more than the store, but infinitely more delicious.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Beastie posted:

Motherfucks be shorting me on my hummus. Don't know when this happened but I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore

Hummus is trivially easy to make if you have a food processor. I’ve made it completely drunk off several gin and tonics (not behind the wheel, settle down goons) AND even made the tahini myself.

depending on your political inclinations you might not wanna be buying Sabra specifically These Days

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

(actually, no, it's not something that got shitter for a reason. The reason it got shitter was; cocaine and lots of it)

Making music on cocaine beats making music on heroin.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

teen witch posted:

Hummus is trivially easy to make if you have a food processor. I’ve made it completely drunk off several gin and tonics (not behind the wheel, settle down goons) AND even made the tahini myself.

depending on your political inclinations you might not wanna be buying Sabra specifically These Days

Yeah I've been making my own tzatziki sauce for my bowls but I don't actually have the food processor.

Also is Sabra owned by chuds or Israelis or both?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Vampire Panties posted:

something like 95% of alcoholic drinks in the US are consumed by <5% of the population. We put all these laws in place to try and stop that <5%, but ain't nothin' stoppin alkies.

for content - loving electric tooth brush bristles. Somehow I am visibly wearing them down within a few weeks, and about every other brush one of the bristles comes out entirely :dafuq:

although I did order these off Amazon.. did I get knockoff Oral b toothbrush heads? :ohdear:

don't buy anything Name Brand off of Amazon because it's probably counterfeit. Even if you buy from the official name brand storefront on Amazon, the genuine inventory is commingled with the counterfeit inventory unless the name brand storefront pays extra for segregated inventory. Either buy BRTHORNW Electric Toothrbrush Oral B Replacement For Men Women Children Best Teeth Cleaning for cheap and expect them to be total poo poo or pay MSRP at a real retailer to get the real ones.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

I looked this up because I was curious and according to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK217463/

quote:

A third of the adult population drinks 95 percent of all the alcohol consumed, with 5 percent of the population accounting for half of the overall total.

also 10% of the adult population of the US consumes 3 or more drinks per day and up to 4% of the adult population has 10+ drinks per day goddamn. That's ten million people having 10+ drinks a day holy poo poo

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 4, 2024

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

I bought some "Aoremon" brand Sonicare replacement heads off of ebay for like 1/10th the price of name brand, and they're about as good. Electric toothbrush heads have always been a classic "that's how they get you" situation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vampire Panties posted:

You absolutely got knockoff oral-b toothbrush heads.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

withak posted:

You absolutely got knockoff oral-b toothbrush heads.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder:

The rampant use and abuse of AI, based on the myth that it's good at anything at all, is going to make the world worse, and is already doing so.

But:

Since you can now vomit out crap like "Sense and Sensibility and Zombies" with the same effort as dialing a phone number, the market will be overwhelmingly flooded with such garbage (even more than now), effectively ruining mashup literature forever.

Let's look on the bright side. The average Redditor may eventually learn to no longer shout "shut up and take my money" at the random collision of two things they like, such as "Goku" and "meets the Ghostbusters" or "Marvel versus Capcom versus Moby Dick." They'll even tire of mashing their keyboard to generate "Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Barrow-Downs" themselves. First, no one will pay for such garbage, and later, no one will even bother to make it.

Sure, literature will die, along with all art*, but look at what will be taken with it!

*not really, good things will still exist, they'll just be even harder to find, or more effectively located in the past. Like they always are.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Lobsterboy posted:

no one really knows how the gently caress any of this is going to work or happen or be implemented beyond congress saying 'do this' but cars might actually be required to have breathalyzer immobilizers / AI 'drunk' detection:

https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-technology/congressional-drunk-driver-detection-mandate-raises-privacy-questions

expected by 2026 but with an option to delay a few years.

AP Wire: Resale Value of Pre-2025 Vehicles Skyrockets in Wisconsin

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My hot take is that maybe drunk driving should be treated more harshly by the courts. Having a 4th time offender show up in court and get a 6th month probation is not the way.

Serious. I went to high school with a kid who totaled, no poo poo, 5 SUVs in 3 years while driving drunk, but having a rich daddy meant the consequences were basically nonexistent.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The height of AI for me was making chatgpt write stories about Conan O’Brien interviewing Air Bud about 9/11

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Beastie posted:

If you're anywhere near competent in the kitchen, it's probably worthwhile to make your own. My wife makes some amazing hummus. We haven't bought any in years. Hell, you don't even have to be that good if you can find a good recipe to follow. I'm a terrible cook, but when I taught kindergarten, my class of 5- and 6-year-olds and I made some for an international theme month and everyone, including the office staff, raved about how good it was.

Honestly, between rising prices and shrinkflation, we've started making a lot more stuff that we used to just buy, and doing so has been a part of our lives that has significantly improved over the past few years. Ever have homemade pasta sauce? Bacon? Pizza? Condiments? Tofu? They're really good!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
As I have produced adequate but underwhelming hummus in the past: please share your / her recipe.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I bought two hogs so that I can make homemade bacon and now my HOA is REAL mad.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

I looked this up because I was curious and according to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK217463/

also 10% of the adult population of the US consumes 3 or more drinks per day and up to 4% of the adult population has 10+ drinks per day goddamn. That's ten million people having 10+ drinks a day holy poo poo

as usual, half right :v:

I remember learning that tidbit because I took some online drinking quiz (when I did drink) and although I didn't drink every night, I averaged like 4 drinks a night from weekend benders. At the time I socialized exclusively with salespeople and bartenders, so it seemed bizarre that not everyone was drinking their face off on the weekend.

heh a drinking related enshittification - I grew up in Sonoma County California, which was emphatically not :airquote: Wine Country :airquote: when I was growing up. The change happened and vineyards replaced cow pastures, but it didnt click until I went back to visit maybe ten years ago :stare: and there were shiiiiiiiiiiiiitloads of drunk people everywhere :stare: In the grocery store, at any restaurant, driving around, everywhere. Like trying to live in a very low key frat party. Hammered boomers in a rented RV parked at CVS at 4 in the afternoon. Everyone trying to live their best Sideways life in a retail mall. Also ofc wine is sold literally everywhere, although its a bit of a :lol::lmao: that you can randomly find Iron Horse sparkling wine (because its not from France :v:) or Korbel for like six bucks at an Arco.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

When I was dealing with stress, anxiety, depression, and some really tumultuous times with my family, I was getting blasted a minimum of 5 nights a week for years. I don't drink anymore, but I strongly suspect that a significant portion of those heavy drinkers are self-medicating.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying alcoholism is excusable as long as it's because you're sad, but I'm willing to bet a lot of these 4+ alcoholic beverages/night people aren't getting wasted at parties or out with friends or even enjoying themselves.

e:

Atopian posted:

As I have produced adequate but underwhelming hummus in the past: please share your / her recipe.

She's asleep now, but I'll ask in the morning. In the meantime, let me see if I can find the Omani hummus recipe we used in my kindergarten class. I think I still have it on an old phone.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

When I was dealing with stress, anxiety, depression, and some really tumultuous times with my family, I was getting blasted a minimum of 5 nights a week for years. I don't drink anymore, but I strongly suspect that a significant portion of those heavy drinkers are self-medicating.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying alcoholism is excusable as long as it's because you're sad, but I'm willing to bet a lot of these 4+ alcoholic beverages/night people aren't getting wasted at parties or out with friends or even enjoying themselves.

:same:

not to be a cliche, but I had absolutely no idea I had a problem. My parents, grandparents, friends, friends parents - everyone got hosed up on the weekends. In retrospect I was massively self-selecting for people who loved to drink.

re: self medication - it worked for me until it didn't. Even booze got enshittified :sadwave:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Atopian posted:

This is my foundational hummus recipe.

From there, I tweak to my preference, which is essentially the following:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Appreciated

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

StormDrain posted:

I saw a video the other day that opened my eyes a bit. Where are the medium sweet beverages? It's either not sweet, sugar free but sweet, or full sugar. Where's half sweet?

This is why I make my own cordial concentrate. Every summer we pick or buy enough berries to make enough jam, cordial and just plain frozen berries to last until next year.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve yet to do my own cordials but I’ve done my own grenadine and orgeat, 10/10 recommend.

2024 is the year of the brandied cherry, inshallah

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Any techniques to share? I want to get more comfortable making things like jams and caramels

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
something unexpected got shittier:

ive been buying the same kind of page-day-calendar from the same place every year past maybe 5 years or so and this time around even it was not safe from "shrinkflation" the pages are suddenly 2/3rd the size of what they were in years past

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bought some bagels over the holidays and the hole size was ridiculous lol. it was difficult to cut through them properly cause thye'd just fall apart due to lack of structure. id say they clawed back probably 1/2 the weight of a bagel from the middle. crazy

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

bought some bagels over the holidays and the hole size was ridiculous lol. it was difficult to cut through them properly cause thye'd just fall apart due to lack of structure. id say they clawed back probably 1/2 the weight of a bagel from the middle. crazy

polo mints will soon be 99% hole

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

teen witch posted:

This is my foundational hummus recipe.

From there, I tweak to my preference, which is essentially the following:

lol and thank you. i've been eating a lot of hummus lately and wanted to start making it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They took that cool red string out of Band Aid wrappers. Now you just have to tear it open like some savage.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ArmedZombie posted:

lol and thank you. i've been eating a lot of hummus lately and wanted to start making it.

Protip: save the aquafaba, you can even freeze it up to four months! Use it in lieu of egg whites for most things, even cocktails it owns

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Adjusting diameters is the sneakiest way to juice profit-margin. Exhibit A: pizza sizes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Adjusting diameters is the sneakiest way to juice profit-margin. Exhibit A: pizza sizes

the power of the square. and thats just simple math