Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At least it's better than at launch when every fixer would try to sell you a piece of poo poo car every 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CJacobs posted:

RE4 Remake has distinctly lovely ladders. You were invincible while climbing or vaulting in the original but now you can be smacked off them by anything including an enemy peacefully coming down. Why give them the priority!

Better than the ladder in RE village that had the power to stop time and the opening fight would never end.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Owl Inspector posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 has about the most obnoxious method of throwing sidequests at you I’ve ever seen where NPCs randomly call you and tell you to do something for them, except this can happen while you are actively in a conversation for a different quest, and the game has no dialogue log so it’s easy for me to miss what someone said because I was distracted by rejecting a call mid-sentence. it’s extra bad when it’s from a character you’ve never met before who tells you next to nothing on the phone and gives you no reason to care about their quest until you’ve already started it just to humor them.

in general, the lack of a dialogue log is a major thing dragging the game down because by the time I get to doing a quest hours after its original briefing I only have the vaguest memory what it’s about and the journal description for the quest is something meaningless like “so, we’re really doin’ this? looks like you’re about to get on a lot of chooms’ bad side. gotta say, I didn’t think you had it in you.”
Hey that's not true! There's also random NPCs who will give you a sidequest on the street and if you fast travel or pass time instead of immediately doing their sidequest you autofail it, because you're supposed to intuit whether or not the quest is actually time sensitive or not.*

It really annoys me that cyberpunk is a garbage game that gets treated like it had a NMS style redemption just because they made an anime and eventually fixed the gamebreaking bugs.

*yes, the flavor/description of the quest will say "Help my friend is in immediate danger!" but almost all of the non-mechanically time sensitive quests, including the main one also include lore/flavor about being time sensitive too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coolness Averted posted:

Hey that's not true! There's also random NPCs who will give you a sidequest on the street and if you fast travel or pass time instead of immediately doing their sidequest you autofail it, because you're supposed to intuit whether or not the quest is actually time sensitive or not.*

It really annoys me that cyberpunk is a garbage game that gets treated like it had a NMS style redemption just because they made an anime and eventually fixed the gamebreaking bugs.

*yes, the flavor/description of the quest will say "Help my friend is in immediate danger!" but almost all of the non-mechanically time sensitive quests, including the main one also include lore/flavor about being time sensitive too.

There's been a seriously dedicated attempt on social media to basically re-write the launch of the game and insist it wasn't that bad in the first place, was barely buggy, and only the old generation version had any issues and that anyone who says otherwise is just lying for internet clout. It's weird as gently caress.

EDIT: Also just like, another really petty annoyance with Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince and like, JRPGs with overworld encounters in general; why give me the option to avoid enemies on the map if they run faster than me and pursue me to the end of the world? Not every enemy does this, granted, but flying enemies specifically just never loving stop and fly over all obstacles to get your rear end and never, ever, seem to have the same programming to flee if you're too strong that every other enemy in the area does so if I'm just running through a zone I'll have like five imps chasing me or something and eventually catch up to start a fight. At that point you might as well just have random encounters :psyduck:

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Jan 2, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Owl Inspector posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 has about the most obnoxious method of throwing sidequests at you I’ve ever seen where NPCs randomly call you and tell you to do something for them, except this can happen while you are actively in a conversation for a different quest, and the game has no dialogue log so it’s easy for me to miss what someone said because I was distracted by rejecting a call mid-sentence. it’s extra bad when it’s from a character you’ve never met before who tells you next to nothing on the phone and gives you no reason to care about their quest until you’ve already started it just to humor them.

in general, the lack of a dialogue log is a major thing dragging the game down because by the time I get to doing a quest hours after its original briefing I only have the vaguest memory what it’s about and the journal description for the quest is something meaningless like “so, we’re really doin’ this? looks like you’re about to get on a lot of chooms’ bad side. gotta say, I didn’t think you had it in you.”

Doesn't every fixer text you more details right after they hang up

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

They do! And cyberpunk was basically fine, if you weren't playing on last gen consoles. It's a concerted effort because that's what lots of people think. There were plenty of bugs, but it was perfectly playable.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

sebmojo posted:

They do! And cyberpunk was basically fine, if you weren't playing on last gen consoles. It's a concerted effort because that's what lots of people think. There were plenty of bugs, but it was perfectly playable.

It's just a bad game though. I only played it on PS5 after the next gen console update. I didn't see many bugs beyond the norm in modern gaming, but saw a lot of bad design decisions and lackluster visuals directly next to the stuff that was supposed to amaze me which just made it seem worse than not including the pretty stuff. Highly detailed reflective surfaces don't wow you much when directly out the window there's also ps2 quality textures.

My aborted playthrough perfectly captured the nostalgia of a teen edgelord GM telling a muddled railroad story. so I guess they got that part of playing tabletop right.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I pretty much just thought it was mediocre, playing at launch on PC. Not too many bugs, it just didn't wow me even aside from them - it really felt like a prettied-up remaster of a decade+ old game, rather than the big new thing everyone was excited about.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hardspace: Shipbreaker has a pretty decent core gameplay loop but its story, such as it is, and characters aren't a quarter as compelling as the writers clearly think they are. Making the audiolog cutscenes unskippable is a sin in particular.

Also I can't shake the feeling that it's a bit rudderless when it comes to how mechanics are supposed to interact; from what I gather its tools have been redesigned pretty heavily in updates, which just makes them feel arbitrary. And the upgrade trees are pretty dire and 90% "stat goes up" (sometimes to insignificant effect; once you have one oxygen upgrade you're gonna have to recharge exactly mid-shift, and the next 2-3 upgrades just move the recharge point to later in the shift).

It's a full release but still feels like a game that's not quite finished. Decent zone out and listen to music game that's for sure.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fixers aren’t the problem.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Owl Inspector posted:

Fixers aren’t the problem.

Fixers are the people who call you out of the blue for jobs, which is what you explicitly mentioned

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alan Wake 2 is entirely too spooky for me who, as I age, 52 years young now, find that I am more and more afraid of the world

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm having fun with Blossom Tales 2, a cute 2D Zelda clone. But I just found out that, if you're standing close to the edge of a map tile, an enemy hitting you can bounce you off the screen into the next tile over. Kinda sucks to kill off some bigger enemies and have some nice loot sitting there, then have a mouse boop me into the next screen over and despawn everything! And of course none of the respawned enemies dropped anything :rip:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fixers are the people who call you out of the blue for jobs, which is what you explicitly mentioned

Fixers call you when you actively move into the area around their job which is marked on the map. what I mentioned was characters calling you in the middle of dialogue for unrelated quests, which happens when you aren’t even moving. I’ve seen this kind of thing from 4 different people, none of which are fixers, and they don’t necessarily repeat the same conversation in texts. which would be annoying but not as bad if the game just had a dialogue history to review anything you didn’t absorb because of this.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oldpainless posted:

Alan Wake 2 is entirely too spooky for me who, as I age, 52 years young now, find that I am more and more afraid of the world

Soggy old guy dick got you down?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Paper Mario Origami King: who the gently caress thought jump on A with no option to change to the sane person’s option (B) it was good design?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A has always been jump in Mario, hasn't it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't remember on the old two button systems, but it's been B from SNES on.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A was jump on NES, because B was "B-speed"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

Go try Alien: Isolation

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The volume balancing has ruined RE4 Remake for me. It's like you've got tunnel ears instead of tunnel vision, you can only hear what's on screen. At first I liked the game but then I realized that every attack I have taken so far was from behind or the side, from an enemy off screen, who was silent. Even the most basic shooters make enemies miss the first shot when they're not on camera. It just sucked the enjoyment right out of it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Jan 4, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Man the Haruka section in Yakuza 5 is rough -especially knowing that her arc basically gets dumpstered to be 6's initial hook. I appreciate the concept of replacing combat with a rhythm minigame, but the execution is really wearing out its welcome.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just started Nobody Saves the World since it's on PS Plus this month.

Pretty fun so far, only played a couple hours, but one thing bugs me:
For most of the game, it works like old school NES/SNES Zelda rules: Your character is at the center of the screen.

But certain parts of the map are hard-coded to sort of "center" the map on the location of interest, like a dungeon entrance. So you can be walking along, maybe some enemies are following you or you're about to engage them...and suddenly the screen moves and you're at the very bottom of the screen and the enemies attacking you get pushed OFF the screen.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Go try Alien: Isolation

Such a good game. Also terrifying

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

oldpainless posted:

I started AW2 last night. Cool game so far. Except I have to play it through the Epic store, and the achievement notifications are terrible. They're incredibly obnoxious and not tied to the volume of the game, so during some tense moments I hear a "DA DING" at twice the volume of the game and get a huge cartoon pop up congratulating me on finding a grisly murder or something. And I don't think there's a good way to turn them off permanently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's like you've got tunnel ears instead of tunnel vision

The enemies having this too explains why you can stay in stealth while using the rocket launcher, as long as folks are looking away at the time

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Professor Wayne posted:

I started AW2 last night. Cool game so far. Except I have to play it through the Epic store, and the achievement notifications are terrible. They're incredibly obnoxious and not tied to the volume of the game, so during some tense moments I hear a "DA DING" at twice the volume of the game and get a huge cartoon pop up congratulating me on finding a grisly murder or something. And I don't think there's a good way to turn them off permanently.

The worst of it is the chapter ends where you've just had some big revelation and some subtle, soft music starts playing and BWAAAAH here's your achievement!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Professor Wayne posted:

You can mute notifications from the overlay, but I don't think its persistent.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The achievement sound annoyed me at first, but I was too lazy to figure out how to disable it and eventually got Stockholm'd into enjoying its comedic value. It really is funny how many tense and serious moments it shows up in.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s the most Remedy thing I can think of

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://sidelinesources.com/culture-news/gaming/alan-wake-ii-annoys-players-with-achievement-notifications/

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Since I know you like my opinions of weird old games I figured I'd post a new thing I'm trying, reviews of games I've found interesting enough to talk about. This one is old PS2 flight combat game "They Came From the Skies": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJP-_4Zqf7g

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Since I know you like my opinions of weird old games I figured I'd post a new thing I'm trying, reviews of games I've found interesting enough to talk about. This one is old PS2 flight combat game "They Came From the Skies": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJP-_4Zqf7g

Oh huh, never heard of that. Too bad it sounds kind of hit or miss, that's a great idea for a flight sim. Actually, it's neat enough that I'm surprised I can't think of any bigger name attempts at it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hilariously it's a genre I never play, so it's kind of been my introduction to it due to it's mechanical simplicity. It starts with super easy missions so it kind of eased me into the genre before getting bullshit hard a few missions in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

My friend was streaming it on xbox and constantly as he's progressing through the first chapter xbox achivements would pop up and cover the subtitles, the little noise briefly drowning out all sound of the game. It's real bad on every platform.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The only thing useful about those general progress achievements is comparing global stats for difficult games and seeing where people gave up, like the way 50% or so of Bloodborne players didn't get past the bloodstarved beast.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I always like it when you get an achievement for starting a new game, and only like 54% of players have gotten it.

I get really perplexed by looking at the global achievements sometimes. Like, I'll accomplish something I thought was super grueling and optional and it turns out almost everyone has done it, and then I'll dodge an attack by accident in a certain way and it says I've done something only .6% of players have ever done.

My current rarest achievement is for beating the last level in Overload without upgrading anything, and it only made me realize I missed out on a really important component to the game because I didn't know you could upgrade anything.

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Jan 5, 2024

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nuebot posted:

My friend was streaming it on xbox and constantly as he's progressing through the first chapter xbox achivements would pop up and cover the subtitles, the little noise briefly drowning out all sound of the game. It's real bad on every platform.

I've never had a problem on Playstation tbh. It's a pretty small popup in the corner - no noise I can think of.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Roblo posted:

I've never had a problem on Playstation tbh. It's a pretty small popup in the corner - no noise I can think of.

Sony's gotta have something, because it sure isn't games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I always like it when you get an achievement for starting a new game, and only like 54% of players have gotten it.

I can't find it nkw, but the creator of Cookie Clicker posted a tweet after the game had been out on Steam for a few monthes about the one player who had the achievement for starting the game, and that was it. Not even the achievement for clicking the cookie a single time. The game is called Cookie Clicker.