Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Dildo Daggins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hobbits have the least hosed up names in those books and they're still called like Bilbo and Meriodac and Otho.

You mean Bilba, Kalimac, and Otha.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Triarii posted:

Dude had a prophecy that said "not by the hand of man will you fall" and thought that meant he was invulnerable? Was there another prophecy calling him a dumbass?

He was a king once so strike one and then he accepted a gift from Second Age Mafia Boss Sauron that turned him into a slave so yeah he was

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Zero One posted:

Éowyn challenged the Witch-king, who boasted that "no living man may hinder me". In answer, she removed her helmet, releasing her hair, which "gleamed with pale gold upon her shoulders", and declared, "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter... Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."

In a rage, the Witch-king attacked her, but she clove the head of his winged steed. The Witch-king shattered her shield with a blow of his mace, breaking her arm, but stumbled when Merry stabbed his leg from behind with the Barrow-blade. Éowyn drove her sword through the Witch-king's head, killing him and fulfilling Glorfindel's prophecy from a thousand years earlier, at the Battle of Fornost, that "not by the hand of man" would the Witch-king fall.

I guess Merry is trans, because it sounds like that knife to the leg hindered him pretty well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

", I am a hobbit", Merry elaborated

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, if you want to know why the Rohirrim all have similar sounding names, check this poo poo out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Old_English_given_names

Seeing the name slowly change into Alfred is pretty neat.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Elfface posted:

I guess Merry is trans, because it sounds like that knife to the leg hindered him pretty well.

:raise:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elfface posted:

Because trans men…aren’t men? I hope I’m misunderstanding your joke.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Because trans men…aren’t men? I hope I’m misunderstanding your joke.

no, the joke is that merry is secretly a woman.

but really, it doesn't even take that. the prophecy is just that the witch-king cannot be KILLED by any man. it's okay for a man like merry to slice through his hamstring, though. doesn't say the witch-king can't be INJURED by any man.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

but really, it doesn't even take that. the prophecy is just that the witch-king cannot be KILLED by any man. it's okay for a man like merry to slice through his hamstring, though. doesn't say the witch-king can't be INJURED by any man.

Ah, I was going by the quote upthread that said “hinder”; thanks for the clarification.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Arivia posted:

. the prophecy is just that the witch-king cannot be KILLED by any man. it's okay for a man like merry to slice through his hamstring, though. doesn't say the witch-king can't be INJURED by any man.

Technically correct, the best kind of correct

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I have an idea, let's post some funny pictures instead of going down that road

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arivia posted:

Well, specifically it was because the people who made the barrows were enemies of Angmar and so their weapons were enchanted to hurt the Witch King.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Well, specifically it was because the people who made the barrows were enemies of Angmar and so their weapons were enchanted to hurt the Witch King.

okay, NERD.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Zero One posted:

"not by the hand of man" would the Witch-king fall.

Well, the Witch-king fell because Merry stabbed him in the knee. Merry being a man, yet not a Man, the opposite of Eowyn.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Sentient Data posted:

I have an idea, let's post some funny pictures instead of going down that road

Does anyone else find the cutesy grammar / no punctuation style choice distracting? Ruins the funny :colbert:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

freeedr posted:

security Is mortals' chiefest enemy

Birnam wood doth come to Dunsinane, fucker

Yeah. MacBeth was getting owned by semantics while the Witch King was still in diapers.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Triarii posted:

Dude had a prophecy that said "not by the hand of man will you fall" and thought that meant he was invulnerable? Was there another prophecy calling him a dumbass?

freeedr posted:

security Is mortals' chiefest enemy

Terry Pratchett posted:

Many an ancient lord's last words had been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh."

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Does anyone else find the cutesy grammar / no punctuation style choice distracting? Ruins the funny :colbert:

I didn't find it "cutesy". I thought it was just like SMS or chatroom style or something. It didn't ruin the joke for me anyway

Mario Yesyes
Oct 30, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lobok posted:

You mean Bilba, Kalimac, and Otha.

Banazir Galbasi is the best hobbit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EoinCannon posted:

I didn't find it "cutesy". I thought it was just like SMS or chatroom style or something. It didn't ruin the joke for me anyway

yeah its easily parseable as conversational/casual in tone

just use "lol" or carriage returns as punctuation unless it needs to be really explicit

sa used to ban for informal diction / improper punctuation, thankfully that isnt the case anymore lol

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

credburn posted:

It's how the cat talks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Banazir Galbasi is the best hobbit

Goddamn right he is.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
yah leave the cat alone fuckin narc

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Raluek posted:

sa used to ban for informal diction / improper punctuation, thankfully that isnt the case anymore lol

Unfortunately.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Raluek posted:

yeah its easily parseable as conversational/casual in tone

just use "lol" or carriage returns as punctuation unless it needs to be really explicit

Boy when I'm in charge of this place there will be a return to traditional SA values.

What is a "carriage return"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's what the return key on your keyboard does. Holdover from the days of electric typewriters when they added a button to return the carriage that the paper rides on to the left margin. Before that you had to push it back yourself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arivia posted:

okay, NERD.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

Boy when I'm in charge of this place there will be a return to traditional SA values.

What is a "carriage return"?

It's when you take your shopping carriage back to the store.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Just casually slaying the Hemingway 6-word baby shoes story's legacy from within an idiotic forums' gigglepix thread, nbd

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hobbit shoes, never worn.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Hobbit shoes, never worn.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Hobbit feet, never shorn.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Thought that was Jar Jar Binks for a second.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Zed Zed Cop

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Triarii posted:

TBF in Tolkien's very conservatively (to put it mildly) gendered universe, female warriors were almost unheard of.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Maybe nobody had stabbed him in the face before, and it was his natural weakness?

Much like Judge Dredd punching Fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Loss of blood, my only weakness