Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

General Dog posted:

I choose to believe the countries we're friendly with wouldn't do that sort of thing!

To paraphrase Animal House, they can’t do that to our citizens, only we can do that to our citizens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Thaddius the Large posted:

To paraphrase Animal House, they can’t do that to our citizens, only we can do that to our citizens!

Sad but true. Gotta swing that geopolitical big dick around and make sure everyone still knows you're the boss.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
God drat the end of Ghost of Tsushima hits like a truck

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Oh fun, we got our annual (apparently) disaster preparedness kit because we live (relatively) close to a nuclear power plant.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Caro got fat.

And I’m assuming did not get mental health care.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

Oh fun, we got our annual (apparently) disaster preparedness kit because we live (relatively) close to a nuclear power plant.

Whats in it?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Whats in it?

Mostly a rather large booklet with detailed instructions, meeting places, and details on how information is conveyed in case of emergency. Also, some vouchers for free potassium iodide pills and coupons on things like emergency radios.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Whats in it?

hair care for your permanent orange afro

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

swickles posted:

Mostly a rather large booklet with detailed instructions, meeting places, and details on how information is conveyed in case of emergency. Also, some vouchers for free potassium iodide pills and coupons on things like emergency radios.

huh I grew up near San Onofre (my dad worked there) and I have no memories of anything like that

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

A voucher for pills instead of the pills seems kinda... :effort:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BlindSite posted:

A voucher for pills instead of the pills seems kinda... :effort:

Yeah, it's weird. You'd think in the event of a nuclear emergency the pills would be free for everyone in the immediate area whether or not they had a voucher. But :capitalism:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh, I should clarify the voucher is if you want to pick up a supply to keep on hand in your medicine cabinet or whatever. I assume they will be at any and all evacuation sites.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

Oh, I should clarify the voucher is if you want to pick up a supply to keep on hand in your medicine cabinet or whatever. I assume they will be at any and all evacuation sites.

Go pick them up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FizFashizzle posted:

my girlfriend’s parents are worthless. Frankly I wouldn’t want a kid with them unsupervised.

Speaking as someone who had hard in-law trouble of a similar nature- it's good that you recognize this, and how big of a factor it needs to be in your plans.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I briefly mentioned in the last chat thread around Christmas that I'd be going to Cleveland in a few weeks, but forgot to ask if anyone has any general recommendations for stuff to do or see. My brother and I are taking my dad up there to see my cousin's son play in a youth hockey tournament, and other than wanting to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Both of which I know you need to get tickets for in advance), don't have anything in particular planned yet. Not sure of the timing of everything yet, but any ideas or recommendations around or near that stuff would be helpful.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Another goon success story.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

fartknocker posted:

I briefly mentioned in the last chat thread around Christmas that I'd be going to Cleveland in a few weeks, but forgot to ask if anyone has any general recommendations for stuff to do or see. My brother and I are taking my dad up there to see my cousin's son play in a youth hockey tournament, and other than wanting to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Both of which I know you need to get tickets for in advance), don't have anything in particular planned yet. Not sure of the timing of everything yet, but any ideas or recommendations around or near that stuff would be helpful.

I did the same trip back in July. I would say if you can swing the rock hall first do it as the Pro Football one is structured and such a great experience that it bothered me how disjointed the rock hall was.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

oh poo poo I just realized

is Caro the richest goon of all time?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

GD_American posted:

oh poo poo I just realized

is Caro the richest goon of all time?

No, the NFC East thread collectively is. Because they all have each other to hate on

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fartknocker posted:

Here is Bird in a Blender's unofficial guide to Cleveland:

First, the Rock Hall is fine to visit once, but it's a little overpriced, and it's mostly memorabilia. So if you're into that, it's pretty cool. In my opinion, it's nice to do once and never bother again, although they are expanding soon.

Free things to do in Cleveland:
The Cleveland Museum of Art is nice, not usually crowded, and a decent size, but not huge. You can see most of it in a couple of hours, and they do have some nice collections and I think at least one special exhibit going on. Very nice building.
Lake View Cemetery is close to the Museum of Art. Lots of old rich people buried here with some impressive head stones. President Garfield and his wife are buried here as well, but it looks like the monument is temporarily closed. You can drive through or take a walk.
Westside Market is a large market with tons of food purveyors. It's a very nice big open building and there's a mix of things like butchers, European import places, restaurants, and a big produce only building. Good for a stroll around, or you can pick up some snacks or lunch.
You can also drive by the Christmas Story House. You can go in too, but I don't think it's worth it. This is the house that was used for all the exterior shots, but they renovated the inside to make it look like the actual house. Lots of exterior shots were done in Cleveland, like in Public Square.

Food and drink- Cleveland has pockets of really busy areas, and then there are kind of large dead zones in between. For beer, I recommend going to Ohio City, which is also where the Westside Market is located. There are a ton of bars and restaurants all clustered around W 25th St. and Lorrain including Great Lakes Brewing. There's also Hansa, a German beer focused brewery, Market Garden, and Nano Brew for brewpubs, plus several other large bars. I liked Nano and Great Lakes the best, Hansa opened right after I moved out, so I don't know how good that is, but the store attached to it was there first and was excellent.

Porco Lounge is a Tiki bar that's pretty good, but kind of all by itself. Personally, I'd stay away from Velvet Tango Room, they have good cocktails, but way overpriced.

For coffee, my wife loved Phoenix Coffee Company, there are a few around the city.

Mitchell's ice cream is the most popular ice cream spot in the city, and it is very good. Mason's Creamery is a small place and a little more experimental, but I didn't think their ice cream was as good as Mitchell's.

Tremont, E. 4th St., and Gordon Square are also good spots with a ton of restaurants. These are my favorite places to eat in no particular order.
Toast - Wine bar with a small selection of good food.
Happy Dog - Hot dog joint and bar, customize your dog anyway you want it. Also has shows on various days.
Prosperity Social Club - Good all around American food.
Citizen Pie - Pizza place with three different locations. The one on E 4th is slices of sicilian style, the other two are Neapolitan style. Very good, my favorite pizza in Cleveland.
Butcher and Brewer - Large place on E. 4th with good beer. Small plate style, so go there and order a bunch of different stuff to share.
Dave's Cosmic Subs - Local sub chain if you want something quick and causal.
Johnny's - There's Johnny's Little Bar, which is around the corner from the main restaurant downtown. The main restaurant is kind of a classic Italian joint, while the Little Bar is more casual with good burgers.
Momocho - Upscale Mexican
Heck's - Good burgers and general American fare.
Slyman's Deli - Classic deli joint with humongous corned beef sandwiches.

Since you're going in winter, this doesn't apply as much, but the county has a string of nice large parks that surround the city, referred to as the Green Belt. Rocky River Reservation, North Chagrin, and Garfield Park are nice. If you're willing to drive a little bit, Cuyahoga Valley National Park is like 45 minutes south of the city and has some nice hiking.

There is also Playhouse Square, which is the second largest theater district in the country after Broadway in NYC. If you'd like to see a show, check out all the theaters and see what they have.

That's all I got for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We are in Memphis right now and holy poo poo why would anyone go to Nashville instead of here?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

Here is Bird in a Blender's unofficial guide to Cleveland:

First, the Rock Hall is fine to visit once, but it's a little overpriced, and it's mostly memorabilia. So if you're into that, it's pretty cool. In my opinion, it's nice to do once and never bother again, although they are expanding soon.

Free things to do in Cleveland:
The Cleveland Museum of Art is nice, not usually crowded, and a decent size, but not huge. You can see most of it in a couple of hours, and they do have some nice collections and I think at least one special exhibit going on. Very nice building.
Lake View Cemetery is close to the Museum of Art. Lots of old rich people buried here with some impressive head stones. President Garfield and his wife are buried here as well, but it looks like the monument is temporarily closed. You can drive through or take a walk.
Westside Market is a large market with tons of food purveyors. It's a very nice big open building and there's a mix of things like butchers, European import places, restaurants, and a big produce only building. Good for a stroll around, or you can pick up some snacks or lunch.
You can also drive by the Christmas Story House. You can go in too, but I don't think it's worth it. This is the house that was used for all the exterior shots, but they renovated the inside to make it look like the actual house. Lots of exterior shots were done in Cleveland, like in Public Square.

Food and drink- Cleveland has pockets of really busy areas, and then there are kind of large dead zones in between. For beer, I recommend going to Ohio City, which is also where the Westside Market is located. There are a ton of bars and restaurants all clustered around W 25th St. and Lorrain including Great Lakes Brewing. There's also Hansa, a German beer focused brewery, Market Garden, and Nano Brew for brewpubs, plus several other large bars. I liked Nano and Great Lakes the best, Hansa opened right after I moved out, so I don't know how good that is, but the store attached to it was there first and was excellent.

Porco Lounge is a Tiki bar that's pretty good, but kind of all by itself. Personally, I'd stay away from Velvet Tango Room, they have good cocktails, but way overpriced.

For coffee, my wife loved Phoenix Coffee Company, there are a few around the city.

Mitchell's ice cream is the most popular ice cream spot in the city, and it is very good. Mason's Creamery is a small place and a little more experimental, but I didn't think their ice cream was as good as Mitchell's.

Tremont, E. 4th St., and Gordon Square are also good spots with a ton of restaurants. These are my favorite places to eat in no particular order.
Toast - Wine bar with a small selection of good food.
Happy Dog - Hot dog joint and bar, customize your dog anyway you want it. Also has shows on various days.
Prosperity Social Club - Good all around American food.
Citizen Pie - Pizza place with three different locations. The one on E 4th is slices of sicilian style, the other two are Neapolitan style. Very good, my favorite pizza in Cleveland.
Butcher and Brewer - Large place on E. 4th with good beer. Small plate style, so go there and order a bunch of different stuff to share.
Dave's Cosmic Subs - Local sub chain if you want something quick and causal.
Johnny's - There's Johnny's Little Bar, which is around the corner from the main restaurant downtown. The main restaurant is kind of a classic Italian joint, while the Little Bar is more casual with good burgers.
Momocho - Upscale Mexican
Heck's - Good burgers and general American fare.
Slyman's Deli - Classic deli joint with humongous corned beef sandwiches.

Since you're going in winter, this doesn't apply as much, but the county has a string of nice large parks that surround the city, referred to as the Green Belt. Rocky River Reservation, North Chagrin, and Garfield Park are nice. If you're willing to drive a little bit, Cuyahoga Valley National Park is like 45 minutes south of the city and has some nice hiking.

There is also Playhouse Square, which is the second largest theater district in the country after Broadway in NYC. If you'd like to see a show, check out all the theaters and see what they have.

That's all I got for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Thanks!

For the Rock Museum, I know my Dad will get a kick out of a lot of the memorabilia (Hell, I probably will too), and I have an absolutely perfect shirt to wear there:

Context for those who don't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px57H2bX9HI&t=253s

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I watched Us and all I can say is

what the fuuuuuuck

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

what the fuuuuuuck

The premise is a bit silly when you get to the end of it, but not that complicated.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Blue Eye Samurai was really good. That is all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

fartknocker posted:

Like Bird in a Blender said, the Cleveland Institute of Art is… actually kind of cool if that's your thing.

Sister & I went to the mausoleum our parents are interred and afterwards had a bit of a hard time finding a place to get dinner, so we ended up hitting up 21st Century Pizza for a couple slices to take home. As soon as we arrived she proceeds to to this:

I didn't know I was related to Marion Cobretti.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Joey Freshwater posted:

God drat the end of Ghost of Tsushima hits like a truck

Such a great game

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Joey Freshwater posted:

what the fuuuuuuck
I saw it in theaters and was a big fan (my friend wasn't that impressed). Shout out to Lupita Nyong'o's phenomenal work in that movie.

...I should probably just watch it again along with Get Out and Nope.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I love Nope. I can watch it again and again.

Just have to stomach that scene

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shindragon posted:

I love Nope. I can watch it again and again.

Just have to stomach that scene

Chimp?

I had heard about it before I saw it. I guess it would be far more shocking going in blind.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

GD_American posted:

Chimp?

I had heard about it before I saw it. I guess it would be far more shocking going in blind.

The chimp thing wasn’t bad, but the people from the rodeo being digested and realizing it was rough

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh cool downstairs toilet overflowing everywhere after using the laundry cool

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Freaquency posted:

The chimp thing wasn’t bad, but the people from the rodeo being digested and realizing it was rough

Yeah that part.

you hear the screaming and then sudden CRUNCH silence.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Christ Openheimer dragged on, think I just don’t like Nolan’s style. It’s just a lovely knock off Chernobyl. Matt Damon as the liaison hahaha get the gently caress out

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 4, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

GD_American posted:

Chimp?

Chimp was by far the best part

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Christ Openheimer dragged on, think I just don’t like Nolan’s style. It’s just a lovely knock off Chernobyl. Matt Dayton as the liaison hahaha get the gently caress out

Yeah. Could have been 45 minutes shorter and been a lot better.

Same with killers of the flower moon.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry didn’t mean a Chernobyl knock off, just whole time I was wishing i was watching Chernobyl instead. Such better story telling

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

Such a great game

I really need to get back into this, I finally coughed up for PS+ premium or whatever and have been streaming it but my internet started getting fussy and it started looking like poo poo, so I downloaded it but haven’t played it since then. It is very pretty when it was streaming nicely though!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

I really need to get back into this, I finally coughed up for PS+ premium or whatever and have been streaming it but my internet started getting fussy and it started looking like poo poo, so I downloaded it but haven’t played it since then. It is very pretty when it was streaming nicely though!

It’s such a gorgeous game. There’s also the DLC that I never played the first time around. I played the main game when it first came out and promptly forgot everything that happened I guess because I didn’t remember a lot of it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Same, my brother was playing it and I was like i do not remember this opening. Once it got to the bridge its oh yeah forget our MC decided to charge in like a dumbass and nearly died.