Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Dryer lint is not that big of a paradigm shift but your parents should be emptying the thing that goes to the outside more often than they are to prevent a fire

I am not so concerned with the temperature now but I am thinking about how much higher than average it is, and like, what if it just stays that much above the average into spring and summer? What reason does it have to go down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
love to watch those tiktok vids of the lint cleaner guys cleaning out dryers and dryer vents

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dokapon Findom posted:

I am not so concerned with the temperature now but I am thinking about how much higher than average it is, and like, what if it just stays that much above the average into spring and summer? What reason does it have to go down?
The solution is easy: don’t think about it! maybe go shopping instead?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Truga posted:

reminds me how leaded gas caused a global lead contamination, to the point where it was present absolutely everywhere in non-insignificant amounts on the surface of earth:

anyway, that poo poo got banned later, i'm sure the same will happen with plastics as surely the institutions and organizations that can do it still exist

unironic syq

for the record, it's this https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/94569/clair-patterson-scientist-who-determined-age-earth-and-then-saved-it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vet was telling me more dogs are getting sick as the cold isn't killing off as much microbes and fungi as usual.

Lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fried Watermelon posted:

Vet was telling me more dogs are getting sick as the cold isn't killing off as much microbes and fungi as usual.

Lol
I thought it was immunity debt

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
things aren't that bad yet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Lol
i thought you had to be something approximating a doctor to be a vet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

the lead disappeared in the same way the exhaust disappeared: it didn't

what's truly wild to me is that afaik aviation fuel is still allowed to be leaded

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Truga posted:

what's truly wild to me is that afaik aviation fuel is still allowed to be leaded
very particular kinds, usually used in single prop planes i think.

airliners use, essentially, kerosene

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmao it's the main source of lead in our atmosphere and continues to poison rural and poor communities. cool!!!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/leaded-gas-was-phased-out-25-years-ago-why-are-n1264970

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i thought you had to be something approximating a doctor to be a vet

a doctor is just a vet for people

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

a chief operator for the Democratic Party folks.

https://x.com/BriannaWu/status/1742526109462224898?s=20

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Really cool and interesting to see how the Twittosphere is starting to try and publicly deride degrowth ...

:thunk:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the authors of that nature article are mostly ecological economists. put those ones in charge instead of the ones we have now.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LionArcher posted:

[explaining to a child] you have 5 toys. i need to take one toy away to give you food for a year. i will buy you one toy every year. what to do you?

[the democratic party] there are toys on mars right

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

i know it's only the first week of january, but i enjoy listening to the cacophony of frogs morning and night here in the bay area

the mosquitos still buzzing around sucks tho

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

thinking about thos dead leaves. mushrooms eat a lot of that rotting plant stuff are there any animals that just eat funguses to live? i see squirrels eating weird colored mushrooms a lot.

e: fungivores wiki says ants termites and beetles do farming, the "ambrosia beetle" is obligate and.. omg what the hell is a long footed potoroo lol

wonderful

Charlatan Eschaton has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Jan 3, 2024

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
capitalism works because it reflects human nature as selected for through thousands of generations of evolution.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
capitalism is perfect. It cannot fail, only be failed!!!!!!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

thinking about thos dead leaves. mushrooms eat a lot of that rotting plant stuff are there any animals that just eat funguses to live? i see squirrels eating weird colored mushrooms a lot.

e: fungivores wiki says ants termites and beetles do farming, the "ambrosia beetle" is obligate and.. omg what the hell is a long footed potoroo lol

wonderful

:v: ahh! i love him!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

cash crab posted:

:v: ahh! i love him!

:ohdear:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LionArcher posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I need PEER-REVIEWED EVIDENCE that civil rights activism has improved civil rights for non-whites.

-1956 Brianna Wu

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

UHM EXCUSE ME can anyone actually PROVE by way of PUBLICATION COMMISSIONED BY THE ROYAL SOCIETY that ABOLITION ever actually HELPED ANYONE?

-Brianna Wu, 1839

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We have erected a militarized police state reinforced by journalistic norms that rapidly manufactures normalizing consent for the pilfering and abuse of the global south, the common man, and the public treasury. Can anyone explain to me why activism against the multi-headed hydra that is the neoliberal hyper-capitalist order is ineffective?

Surely it is the fault of the global south, common man, and public treasury/institutions that they keep being bloodlet, brutalized, and looted.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Quad post, but I did just remember that saying from elementary school

If at first you don't succeed, suppress any attempts for anyone else to try, then accept that you have a moral imperative to serve your superiors and the bourgeoise they enrapture with cheap treats from Target.

Edit: someone else please post something, anything. Trees in my city have started developing buds and this has been an awful week for climate mourning.

I can't stand that the rest of my family is going to have to suffer through this with me. I want better for them. Dear God I am thankful none of the rest of them want or have children.

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Jan 4, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I just had this super depressing moment walking into Kroger this afternoon after seeing the trees outside budding

Inside, everything is wrapped in plastic. Some of it is then placed in paper boxes, but everything is in plastic we won't actually recycle, or glass that won't be actually recycled around here. Tiny fractions of the plastic from all these scammy faux-health foods to basic necessities will be in my blood in a few months to years.

I stepped over a blooming dandelion plant in the warm afternoon rain as I walked out to my car earlier. I do not want to own a car, but I have a partner and family and roommates who I basically consider to be family to provide for and protect in every way I possibly can. That means kneeling to the grinning ghost of Robert Moses and owning a car.

The trees outside were budding.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Potato Salad posted:

I just had this super depressing moment walking into Kroger this afternoon after seeing the trees outside budding

Inside, everything is wrapped in plastic. Some of it is then placed in paper boxes, but everything is in plastic we won't actually recycle, or glass that won't be actually recycled around here. Tiny fractions of the plastic from all these scammy faux-health foods to basic necessities will be in my blood in a few months to years.

I stepped over a blooming dandelion plant in the warm afternoon rain as I walked out to my car earlier. I do not want to own a car, but I have a partner and family and roommates who I basically consider to be family to provide for and protect in every way I possibly can. That means kneeling to the grinning ghost of Robert Moses and owning a car.

The trees outside were budding.

why do you hate flowers

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Sounds like the trees are having a good time, maybe you should try being less of a buzzkill?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The local weather guy keeps trying to be as tone neutral as humanly possible about the constant rains, like he's worried he might get yelled at if he mentions climate change or acts like January wasn't always a wet month instead of a snowy one.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The local weather guy keeps trying to be as tone neutral as humanly possible about the constant rains, like he's worried he might get yelled at if he mentions climate change or acts like January wasn't always a wet month instead of a snowy one.

:thunk: for some reason I just don't believe that there will be snow next Tuesday...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

LionArcher posted:

Degrowth is inconceivable and that's not going to change soon or ever. It's not necessarily the end of capitalism, but it's the end of the current economic order and the end of essentially everything mainstream economists and politicians either push as propaganda or genuinely believe.

The fact that she's even engaging with it to this degree is an oddity. I've seen first hand local politicians literally shut down at its mention. Like their brain can't fully comprehend what's being discussed or that this is something any sane person would suggest.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paradoxish posted:

The fact that she's even engaging with it to this degree is an oddity. I've seen first hand local politicians literally shut down at its mention. Like their brain can't fully comprehend what's being discussed or that this is something any sane person would suggest.

Wu just has a tendency to get into tedious internet slapfights rather than her engaging with the topic as some kind of barometer for shifting winds.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
There's a whole little cottage industry of anti-doom science communicators that just happen to have changed their minds and decided that optimism is mandatory when they had kids.

Did you know that:
Carbon emissions per capita are actually down
Deforestation peaked back in the 1980s
The air we breathe now is vastly improved from centuries ago
And more people died from natural disasters a hundred years ago?

Yeah that's right, doomers BTFO by facts and logic! I loving love Science!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Sea of methane sealed beneath Arctic permafrost could trigger climate feedback loop if it escapes.

that's a load bearing "if"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
im glad the frost is permanent, phew

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Protagonist posted:

im glad the frost is permanent, phew

like the sakura blossom or the butterfly, i think there's a certain beauty in the impermanence of the frost holding back a world-ending methane megafart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Which soul is brave enough to light it

Why is this natural gas field not being economically exploited