Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I had a lot of fun earlier tonight platooning with mr 48, and about a week or so ago with Mesa; it was nice to play with you guys again, it's been a long time!

So I've noticed recently that the map rotation is much improved over how it was a few years ago, when you'd get the same 3 maps over and over again; now it's basically a different map every time, which is a pleasant surprise and is how you'd expect it to work with like 30 maps in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atomizer posted:

I had a lot of fun earlier tonight platooning with mr 48, and about a week or so ago with Mesa; it was nice to play with you guys again, it's been a long time!

So I've noticed recently that the map rotation is much improved over how it was a few years ago, when you'd get the same 3 maps over and over again; now it's basically a different map every time, which is a pleasant surprise and is how you'd expect it to work with like 30 maps in the game.

It was nice, makes me miss the days when the Goon clans were alive and kicking :unsmith:.

Map rotation is better than what it used to be, but I do still miss a lot of the maps they removed :smith:.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I call this one "some Patton Tanks I saw today in my hour of playing".

But that one guy doing 90 damage in a BZ-176 is even more impressive.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Looking at the stats after a week of Patton Tank hell and it seems it performs about as well as the tech tree T8 except with reverse preferential MM, what a truly great gift.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vando posted:

Looking at the stats after a week of Patton Tank hell and it seems it performs about as well as the tech tree T8 except with reverse preferential MM, what a truly great gift.

I can understand them not wanting to give people a good T9 for free, but they could've made it, I dunno... playable. Hell, just copy the T9 tech tree American medium, slap on a lame 2D camo and be done with it. Bingo bango, everyone's happy, it's not overpowered by any means but it's usable.

I mean poo poo, look at this:

vs

Of course part of that is that the people who have an M46 Patton had to get it by playing a bunch of games in lower tier American mediums, so they have SOME idea how to play it (well... at least some of them do), whereas the Patton Tank got dropped on every "my highest tank is a T3!" shitter in the game. But still.

E:

The bigger question is, why does Vinnie Jones have a Patton to begin with? He was rolling around in a Chieftain in the video, so they just decided to slap a poo poo special T9 tank they've had in the game's files for literal years into the campaign to get it out of the door.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 28, 2023

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

One thing I forgot to say is that I really appreciate how you can complete the holiday missions concurrently. I think I've played twice during the event and got all caught up just by playing the handful of tanks I still have to grind out. It's one of the things that's actually pleasant about the game.

Also regarding the holiday event: what can we use leftover resources for? Before a year or two and the current format, we could buy more ornaments and missed stuff from previous years. I think I have everything though, and I can't figure out if the extra resources can be used for anything else.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Atomizer posted:

Also regarding the holiday event: what can we use leftover resources for? Before a year or two and the current format, we could buy more ornaments and missed stuff from previous years. I think I have everything though, and I can't figure out if the extra resources can be used for anything else.

Tokens for the terminal, it's under "get more tokens" on the right of the terminal screen.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I think you use them on the advent calendar too for days you missed.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is the hydraulic suspension system the same on the UDES 15/16 as on it's on tier 9?
I'm not a fan of it after painfully grinding out all the UDES 16 modules, during which my 5x games ran out :(
It takes a couple seconds for the system to realize you're aiming down and finally jack your rear end up, all the while you get slapped in the forehead with heat or cupola sniped.
I can't seem to lock it into rear end-up mode either, it just levels itself out if you do anything but firmly aim at the ground and sit (almost) still.

Probably putting the tier x on the back burner, and see whether the TVP 51 is worth going up a tier from the godly Skoda T50.

Welp that's how I spent the holidays. Oh and I bought a Skorp for 28€ or something, which I low key regret.
Just get a T-103 from the bond shop. If your aiming circle hasn't been perfectly, absolutely still in the Skorp for a several 100ms before firing, the shell WILL miss. No exceptions.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 28, 2023

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

sauer kraut posted:

Is the hydraulic suspension system the same on the UDES 15/16 as on it's on tier 9?
I'm not a fan of it after painfully grinding out all the UDES 16 modules, during which my 5x games ran out :(
It takes a couple seconds for the system to realize you're aiming down and finally jack your rear end up, all the while you get slapped in the forehead with heat or cupola sniped.
I can't seem to lock it into rear end-up mode either, it just levels itself out if you do anything but firmly aim at the ground and sit (almost) still.

Probably putting the tier x on the back burner, and see whether the TVP 51 is worth going up a tier from the godly Skoda T50.

Welp that's how I spent the holidays. Oh and I bought a Skorp for 28€ or something, which I low key regret.
Just get a T-103 from the bond shop. If your aiming circle hasn't been perfectly, absolutely still in the Skorp for a several 100ms before firing, the shell WILL miss. No exceptions.

The Skoda T 50 and the T50/51 are worth any and all pain that tree puts you through. I don't play them much anymore because I don't want to ruin the great stats I have in them :smith:.

I am not as good as I used to be, and I have accepted this :unsmith:.

Myrrar
Nov 6, 2009
Just reinstalled this game after forever. No idea whats going on anymore. Are there any organized goon groups anymore or is all of that dead?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm grinding the AMX 50-120 and boy howdy does this thing just NOT do the business like I remember it from the days when I saw them all the time.

I'm actually tempted to keep the 100mm mounted because the current meta seems to force you into waiting as a support* vehicle, springing into action after some chump takes his shot. By keeping the 100mm, I slam six shells at 300 alpha per shot into their side as they sit there dumbfounded with no means to retaliate, then scoot off as fast as possible. I am no mathemagician but allowing for the usual RNG bullshit such as inexplicable bounces, six shots >>> four shots. Also 6x300 >>> 4x400. Both mags reload at identical speeds, but whatever.

So yeah. Not my most enjoyable experience so far but at least it's not that loving Tier VIII Italian TD.

*"Support" being imperative here, because the moment you're the only target is also the moment you explode in a gold round-induced shower of tinfoil and snail shells.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That playstyle is all good and dandy with mediums like the Skodas or a Lorraine 40t.
But saddling your team with a big lump of cardboard hiding in cover and relying on pubs doing things, while the matchmaker thinks you're an E75, is a really bad proposition.
That's some interesting tech trees you picked there :)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The 120 mm is better because it does 1,600 damage in 10 seconds vs 1,200 damage in 11 seconds on the 100 mm.

You want to absolutely minimize the amount of time you spend exposed and the additional six seconds it takes to shoot the last two shells from the 100 mm make it much worse than the 120 mm.

The AMX 50 120 isn't a heavy, it's a sniping medium. Load gold and don't ever fight enemies with over 1,200 HP from within spotting range.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It is incredible how much the better gun helps the 50tp. Suddenly when you hit something (which still isn't always) you actually penetrate them.

Also I present: more Patton tanks.

The second one is featuring our Type 4H who tried to camp in the TD line, got spotted and died, and then started yelling in chat about cheaters because they could see him but he couldn't see them.

Getting to T9 is too easy apparently.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 1, 2024

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/0qgnfUB.mp4

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the st emil... it never became a good tank but it was more manageable once you got the big gun. but holy poo poo is the borsig such an upgrade

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I had three missions:
- win a game
- score 5 critical hits in a battle
- damage 7 enemies in a battle

Figured the last two would take me ages.

Did all three in my first game.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Thankfully finished the UDES 16 on my last day of premium account and got to buy the discounted tier x.
What a sluggish, hateful little creep that was even with bounty stabs, accuracy and vents.

I love how shell velocity goes down by 200m/s every time get the next tank after the Udes 14, that's really helpful too.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Lots of folks call the UDES 15/16 the best thing since sliced bread, but I struggle to really make it work for me. Gun feels too derpy.

By far my best performing T10 medium is the Progetto.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Don't have to be good, have to be lucky.

https://i.imgur.com/PzlU3DW.mp4

Sair
May 11, 2007

In a light tank everyone is your enemy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sair posted:

In a light tank everyone is your enemy.

They should really make it bannable to intentionally use other tanks as your armour. I've lost count of the times some shithead has driven up behind my light tank, and gotten me shot to poo poo when they get spotted and incoming fire hits me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i had the opposite happen to me yesterday. tier 9 ebr was mad i had taken a good position in my gsor 1010, so he pokes out of the bushes, fires, then drives behind me

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I learned about the year-end sales, most notably 50% equipment, only a few days ago. I figured it was a good idea to re-equip my tanks, since I had a ton of credits (and gold) and I hadn't re-fit most of them since the new system was implemented. The problem was that I have hundreds of tanks, and even at only 1 minute per tank, it took forever to go through them all. I worked overnight too, which left me less time at home to do that, but on a whim I brought an older gaming laptop to work; it can often be slow, and the game might not be blocked on the network. Well, it was, and wasn't, respectively, so I was able to spend a few hours getting paid to click my tanks in the garage and I got all of them set up, with some spare equipment for the future, and I revised some crews too! :hfive:

Myrrar posted:

Just reinstalled this game after forever. No idea whats going on anymore. Are there any organized goon groups anymore or is all of that dead?

Your name is vaguely familiar, I think you're on NA. We still play, mostly in PANSY. I just started playing again recently myself. There are a few new maps and a lot of new tanks, but I found it came back to me pretty quickly.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'm grinding the AMX 50-120 and boy howdy does this thing just NOT do the business like I remember it from the days when I saw them all the time.

I'm actually tempted to keep the 100mm mounted because the current meta seems to force you into waiting as a support* vehicle, springing into action after some chump takes his shot. By keeping the 100mm, I slam six shells at 300 alpha per shot into their side as they sit there dumbfounded with no means to retaliate, then scoot off as fast as possible. I am no mathemagician but allowing for the usual RNG bullshit such as inexplicable bounces, six shots >>> four shots. Also 6x300 >>> 4x400. Both mags reload at identical speeds, but whatever.

Yeah I remember wrecking poo poo in the 50 120, but I played it years ago. The big gun is better on it, like Stroker said, because of the fast, compact burst. With the 50 100 on the other hand I used the 90 due to the much better reload, however.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm framing this, putting it on my wall, and retiring:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the cent ax is fuckin busted. my first game out i did 5k damage in it and i am unimaginably poo poo at this game. just a pleasant tank to play

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the cent ax is fuckin busted. my first game out i did 5k damage in it and i am unimaginably poo poo at this game. just a pleasant tank to play

Yeah it would be my recommended first medium line, if anyone asked me.
Even the Cent I is somehow playable now and not worth wasting blueprints on.
The speed bump the line got a while back made everything click.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Yesterday was a friendly reminder why I stopped playing this game as much. Had 4 consecutive non-damage pens to the T9 Italian TD in my Tiger-Maus. I don't rage much at this game anymore but holy poo poo I needed to stop playing after that.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I get salty when an enemy is filling 95% of your reticle and your shot deviates into the 5% that's empty.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah it would be my recommended first medium line, if anyone asked me.
Even the Cent I is somehow playable now and not worth wasting blueprints on.
The speed bump the line got a while back made everything click.

Good to hear as I just unlocked it. The Centurion 7/1 was excellent, and this is just a better that. Can't see how this'd be bad.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It used to be much worse.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good to hear as I just unlocked it. The Centurion 7/1 was excellent, and this is just a better that. Can't see how this'd be bad.

Not even in the same league imo.
50% dpm boost, incredible gun handling, ground resistances go from average to driving a hovercraft, 330 high velocity HEAT for those pesky problems, and the turret is uh interesting instead of 'just shoot either side of the gun with 250+ pen' :allears:

McGavin posted:

I get salty when an enemy is filling 95% of your reticle and your shot deviates into the 5% that's empty.

The Skorpion with AP does this multiple times, every game. I've been playing since the closed beta and never felt any vehicle behave like that.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 4, 2024

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

McGavin posted:

The shots that make me alt-f4 are the ones I can see travel perfectly on target 95% of the way there then do a loving 90 degree up/down turn to avoid hitting the thing I'm fully aimed at. Particularly noticeable on certain TDs with low shell velocity.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

That happened to me 3 times yesterday.

It was a bad day for tanks :smith:.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 4, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sauer kraut posted:

The Skorpion with AP does this multiple times, every game. I've been playing since the closed beta and never felt any vehicle behave like that.

Try the Grille. You'll get the fun experience of "my reticle is SMALLER than the enemy target, but my shot still missed". 0.26 accuracy my rear end.

And yeah the Centurion AX seems real fun based on two games, but even it can't magically turn my teammates into anything other than horrible mutants.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also, they're putting out a Snatch themed mini-BP next week. The ultimate prize is the Charioteer Nomad, which is the tech tree Charioteer, except a premium with a weird name. The Charioteer is a lot of fun with the top gun, so definitely go for that if you can.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Type 63 is like this for me, supposedly accurate but holy loving poo poo it hits worse than BZZZZ when I drive it.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also, they're putting out a Snatch themed mini-BP next week. The ultimate prize is the Charioteer Nomad, which is the tech tree Charioteer, except a premium with a weird name. The Charioteer is a lot of fun with the top gun, so definitely go for that if you can.

Nice, T-832 is one of my favorites and it was put out similarly so I'm gonna try to get this one too.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's funny, when I was refitting my tanks the other day, as I went over the Cents I didn't notice any glaring weaknesses to address via equipment. Sure, rammer & turbo are fine on most tanks, but even then I was like, I could omit either or both of those two for other things if the tank needed it, but it didn't seem to. Granted, I haven't played the UK MTs/HTs any time recently, but they all seemed just fine the way their stats indicated. (The third piece of equipment, by the way, was an obvious choice: optics, to go with the 400 m VR.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know what kind of night it was?

The kind of night where our top tier heavies are a platoon of two Kranvagns, who immediately park themselves on top of the hill on Mountain Pass and "snipe".