Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Made a visit to my favorite local record store. Happy New Year all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i saw urban outfitters has back in stock the 30th anniversary edition of snoop dogg's seminal work "doggystyle" on nice clear double vinyl. it's kind of pricey for a new record but i could further justify it to myself if somebody tells me it might be worth more someday even after i open and play it a bunch of times. lie to me idc

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

This year Santa got me David Bowie's A New Career in a New Town box set and its just loving great. Its making me want the rest of those Bowie box sets but that first one ( Five Years) is out of print and sellers are tripping. I assume there'll be no reissue on that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

This year Santa got me David Bowie's A New Career in a New Town box set and its just loving great. Its making me want the rest of those Bowie box sets but that first one ( Five Years) is out of print and sellers are tripping. I assume there'll be no reissue on that

worth it for the Crystal Japan on re:call 3 album alone but it's a great box set
4 boxset is pretty skippable unless you want the labyrinth soundtrack without the interstitial tracks

5 has some of my favorite bowie tracks of all time (We Shall Go To Town, Get Real, We All Go Through) and the live album is a pretty good setlist

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

worth it for the Crystal Japan on re:call 3 album alone but it's a great box set
4 boxset is pretty skippable unless you want the labyrinth soundtrack without the interstitial tracks

5 has some of my favorite bowie tracks of all time (We Shall Go To Town, Get Real, We All Go Through) and the live album is a pretty good setlist

I’m gonna stand up for 4 - Loving the Alien. Tonight is a bad album, but Never Let Me Down is really underrated. And the new version they did is pretty interesting. And you get two live albums. And Let’s Dance is just Bowie going big pop.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

thathonkey posted:

i saw urban outfitters has back in stock the 30th anniversary edition of snoop dogg's seminal work "doggystyle" on nice clear double vinyl. it's kind of pricey for a new record but i could further justify it to myself if somebody tells me it might be worth more someday even after i open and play it a bunch of times. lie to me idc

drat. Pretty sure I picked up a copy of that for ten bux a couple years ago... fake edit: lol six years ago. poo poo.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Made a visit to my favorite local record store. Happy New Year all.

That shirt is dope. That Quincy is dope. Gotta look up this Dur-Dur Band for sure.

I guess my January mix got put out early. All vinyl Jazz-Funk and other things. New "art" style for 2024 but same ol' show.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-52-ft-pete-moss/

quote:

Kongas - Pastel
Commy Bassy - We Want Togetherness
Alex Rodriguez - El Mercado
Eugene Blacknell - Gettin' Down
Mabu's Madness - Why Don't You Shake Yourself
Don Elliot - Slow Down (You're Movin' too Fast)
Don Julian and the Larks - Schoolin' and Foolin'
Bombers - Pistolero
Ketchy Shuby - Long Live the King
Elcados - How Much I Love You
Turquoise Summers - The Crush
Sythia ft. Lady Wray - Tonight You Might
James Brown / Stro Elliot - Sortabad
The Christian Harmonizers - Troubles of the World
MF Doon - Lemon Grass

And dang, RIP Tommy Smothers. Used to have some of those albums but they are long gone.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

sporklift posted:

drat. Pretty sure I picked up a copy of that for ten bux a couple years ago... fake edit: lol six years ago. poo poo.

in other words it has already appreciated by nearly 300% ... i better buy now !!! :getin:

edit: i was talking about the 30th anniversary edition - https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/snoop-dogg-doggystyle-2xlp - album came out in 1993 :v:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 30, 2023

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

thathonkey posted:

in other words it has already appreciated by nearly 300% ... i better buy now !!! :getin:

edit: i was talking about the 30th anniversary edition - https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/snoop-dogg-doggystyle-2xlp - album came out in 1993 :v:

Godamn. I remember driving around the lily white suburbs I lived in bumping this. We would go park in cul-de-sacs that were under construction and smoke hella weed. The weed was $40 an eighth and you were lucky if your "eighth" was 2 grams. Good times. gently caress. 30 years.

My copy is this one https://www.discogs.com/release/592674-Snoop-Doggy-Dogg-Doggystyle

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

I’m gonna stand up for 4 - Loving the Alien. Tonight is a bad album, but Never Let Me Down is really underrated. And the new version they did is pretty interesting. And you get two live albums. And Let’s Dance is just Bowie going big pop.

that's very fair - and don't get me wrong, I like the live albums in that box a good bit, but I don't think there's anything in there worth the premium package price that can't be found for like a third of the price as single albums whereas the re:call's from the other boxes are at least pretty decent collections of weird or fun stuff

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

thathonkey posted:

You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. Starts at $26 on discogs for example.

Having said that, it's 45 rpm and the discogs reviewers seem to dig it. If you find it at a reasonable price, it looks to be a solid reissue.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
On Saturday I picked up a new-to-me equalizer to replace my old 5-band Realistic unit. The Realistic sounded good but had a really annoying hum that I couldn't get rid of. This unit sounds so much better and is dead quiet. At $160 it wasn't a steal but I don't feel ripped off, either. I bought it from a shop in Indy with a return policy, but everything on it seems to work flawlessly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CornHolio posted:

On Saturday I picked up a new-to-me equalizer to replace my old 5-band Realistic unit. The Realistic sounded good but had a really annoying hum that I couldn't get rid of.

I wonder if that is something that a repair shop could have fixed? I think the way electronics are built these days, it's often more expensive to pay for a repair than to just buy a replacement, but that Pioneer looks just like the one my dad had when I was a kid.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nihonniboku posted:

I wonder if that is something that a repair shop could have fixed? I think the way electronics are built these days, it's often more expensive to pay for a repair than to just buy a replacement, but that Pioneer looks just like the one my dad had when I was a kid.

That Pioneer is my receiver/amp and she works perfectly :) The hummy Realistic isn't shown. I think i paid $20 for it. I cracked it open before and cleaned it with no improvement but now i can dig a little deeper into it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I finally another kinda nearby record store. I doubt they'll make it because they charge way too much for anything even kinda known.

A few trips have yielded a few relatively harder to find things.

Strawbs - From the Witchwood
Jon Anderson - In the City of Angels
Beach Boys - Party!

Party! has been the one deal I've found, $5 probably because the cover is taped together. It's hard to find early Beach Boys albums in the wild that aren't beat to hell and I'm fine with it.

Jon Anderson album has its moments. Better than 3 Ships. Production very much of that era. This was the last solo album of his until a few years ago to have an original vinyl release. I have all of them now, though only a couple of his albums with Vangelis.

Imagine you have Rick Wakeman in your band and you don't let him go over the top. The Strawbs were still reasonably folky when they had him, so there are only a few moments when he's let loose. Fantastic album, though I slightly prefer their less folk Hero and Heroine and Bursting at the Seams. More people need to listen to the Strawbs.

I don't have high hopes this record store stays because their pricing is ridiculous. There were a billion bad Beach Boys compilations released in the 1970s after the unexpected popularity of Endless Summer. This store had them all priced at $15-$20. A used copy of Queen's The Game ws $40. Party! is one of perhaps 2-3 albums I've seen in there priced under $10. I tiink Van Halen I was $50 or $60 used.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CornHolio posted:

On Saturday I picked up a new-to-me equalizer to replace my old 5-band Realistic unit. The Realistic sounded good but had a really annoying hum that I couldn't get rid of. This unit sounds so much better and is dead quiet. At $160 it wasn't a steal but I don't feel ripped off, either. I bought it from a shop in Indy with a return policy, but everything on it seems to work flawlessly.

This is peak stereo aesthetics.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

i have a silver face sansui from the late 60s that needed some fairly standard maintenance work. nothing even that complicated just mostly cleaning and replacing a bulb. anyway i could only find one shop in <fairly major city> that would agree to work on it, and after dragging their feet for a few weeks, they finally did a mediocre job and charged me more than i had paid for the unit on craigslist. the reviews for this shop were abysmal but i had no other option and they're literally the only game in town. seems like there's just not many places that have people knowledgeable enough to work on these old amps much these days. everyone that works at the shop i used looked like they were at least 60+

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thathonkey posted:

i have a silver face sansui from the late 60s that needed some fairly standard maintenance work. nothing even that complicated just mostly cleaning and replacing a bulb. anyway i could only find one shop in <fairly major city> that would agree to work on it, and after dragging their feet for a few weeks, they finally did a mediocre job and charged me more than i had paid for the unit on craigslist. the reviews for this shop were abysmal but i had no other option and they're literally the only game in town. seems like there's just not many places that have people knowledgeable enough to work on these old amps much these days. everyone that works at the shop i used looked like they were at least 60+

The two things you mentioned, changing bulbs and cleaning, are pretty easy to do yourself if you ever have to do it again.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah i would def take a stab at it myself next time but i was gunsht at the time. i rarely use the unit much anymore. i just like the way it looks and knowing that it more or less works.

i actually originally took it to the shop because the channel balance was messed up (ie. when i have the balance at 12 oclock, one of the channels is noticeably louder than the other). not sure what causes something like that but they didnt even fix that part so i was doubly pissed when i finally got it back from them. it's a simple enough work around to just balance out using the knob i guess it just irks me that it aint perfect :v:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's nice to see someone post a picture of an equalizer without a bunch of people jumping down their throat.

I have one in my setup but I just use it for the spectrum analyzer mainly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i was tempted to make a scooped mids joke, but i don't see what's wrong with having eq. why would people jump on it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

hexwren posted:

i was tempted to make a scooped mids joke, but i don't see what's wrong with having eq. why would people jump on it?

People have strong opinions about how you set your levels

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

clowns

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

I know this isn't technically the stereo thread but, how make-or-break do you consider the receiver in your setup?

I inherited a low-to-mid-range early 2000s receiver when I bought my first turntable, and when the receiver died recently I threw myself into trying to figure out what to replace it with. But the problem with trying to learn about this stuff is that the kind of people who are invested in discussing audio stuff online are far, far more invested than I want to be with the subject. I want to Enjoy Music, but not be Stereo Guy, if that makes sense. I ended up buying another Denon from the sameish era, because it was less than $100 and in a record shop down the street (and I wasn't going to go without a stereo for more than a week). But scouring through forums had a lot of people swearing by X brand or Y model (but only from 198X - 1993) or what have you.

Do you have strong opinions about receivers? If yes, how did you develop them? If no, why not?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm using a modern bare-bones sony receiver, after my 80s realistic and my 90s marantz both died on me

i could be tempted by a better receiver, especially one with more than two knobs on the front so i don't have to rely on the remote for the vast majority of the box's functions

but I've got decent speakers and an acceptable turntable so I'm not losing any sleep over it

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got a modern Yamaha rn303 I think is the model number? It does everything I need it to and frankly more, I dont use a lot of the bluetooth and audio streaming it's capable of. Sounds and behaves largely the same as the 70s Heathkit it replaced. I also have some random mid 2000s Harmon Kardon I've never plugged in that is my "spare" because it was $15 in a thrift store. Sometimes you get lucky because a lot of people don't recognize recievers when sorting poo poo.

Edit: So to actually answer the question I went with a decently reviewed modern reciever that had enough ports on the back for a record player, cd player, and a tape deck. Perhaps a little future proofy on my end, I didn't want to deal with an old one dying again.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 4, 2024

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
After my dad died i inherited his 90s Kenwood, which i used for a time. Then i came across a Pioneer SX680 at half price books for $200 and grabbed it.

I think it sounds better, though i couldn't put into words why. It definitely looks better and is more pleasing to use.

I like vintage stuff, and tend to like vintage Kenwoods over anything. I don't really have strong opinions on any of it though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

96 BELOW THE WAVE posted:

I know this isn't technically the stereo thread but, how make-or-break do you consider the receiver in your setup?

im not an audiophile or expert so take it with a grain of salt but in my experience the amp/receiver and speakers are the two most important components in any sound system. upgrading other components can certainly help but pair a great amp with bad speakers and it will sound bad. pair great speakers with a bad amp and that also sounds bad.

i had kind of a cheap kenwood early 2000s surround sound receiver for a long time and when i upgraded it to the sansui silverface stereo i mentioned upthread (its a 5000A if you want to see more about the specs) using the same speakers (KEFs, which are quite nice speakers i inherited from a family member) it almost literally blew me away the first time i turned it on with the volume at 50%. the difference was absolutely night and day moreso than ive ever experienced upgrading other parts of my system or any other audio equipment in general.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

I got a modern Yamaha rn303 I think is the model number? It does everything I need it to and frankly more, I dont use a lot of the bluetooth and audio streaming it's capable of. Sounds and behaves largely the same as the 70s Heathkit it replaced. I also have some random mid 2000s Harmon Kardon I've never plugged in that is my "spare" because it was $15 in a thrift store. Sometimes you get lucky because a lot of people don't recognize recievers when sorting poo poo.

Edit: So to actually answer the question I went with a decently reviewed modern reciever that had enough ports on the back for a record player, cd player, and a tape deck. Perhaps a little future proofy on my end, I didn't want to deal with an old one dying again.

I've had the R-N301 for probably 8 years. Turntable (the 301 needs a pre amp dunno about newer models), CD, and Playstation all going through it. I use the network streaming feature and it works great. I bought new after years of hand me downs and I wanted something that just worked.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have a random question does anyone happen to have tool - aenima on lp? i got a copy that is some kind of bootleg (judging by the price at least i think it must be). anyway it sounds kinda disappointing to my ear (overall quiet but especially lacking bass it seems :confused:) i was just wondering what other versions are like or if the mix on this album just sucks and ive never noticed

edit; i just compared it to my copy of undertow and wow this (bootleg?) aenima sounds like assssssss to the degree i did not even know was possible. oh well

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 4, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boinks posted:

It's nice to see someone post a picture of an equalizer without a bunch of people jumping down their throat.

I have one in my setup but I just use it for the spectrum analyzer mainly.

The last time I played with an equalizer was using one of the presets in Winamp. I had no idea there was even a problem with that equalizer posted here

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

So this is about the math I did; I stayed with earlyish 2000s for having enough ports to handle everything (turntable, cd player, tape deck, minidisc player), and the fact that they're generally decently cheap used, especially if they don't have HDMI. I was worried about going modern because I can't say I've been much impressed with the build quality for what you're paying for new, and it'd have a bunch of features I didn't need (the presumption of a home theatre, &c.), but I was also interested to hear what people here think if they did feel fancy vintage Marantzes were the only true way.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a fantastic Pioneer CD player from the 2000s that plays and records CD-R/RW and it kicks rear end

I feel like it's from a very specific and brief time period

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the ultimate CD period piece would be one of those massive 100 disc changers that people had

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

thathonkey posted:

the ultimate CD period piece would be one of those massive 100 disc changers that people had
My mom (a huge classical music nerd) still has a 100 changer and a 200 changer hooked up with her core collection in them. Can't imagine trying to find something specific on them, but I also used to keep a 200 CD book in my car, so. . .

Edit: Actually, knowing my mom, there's probably an impeccably handwritten, numbered list of what CD is in each position tucked away somewhere.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 4, 2024

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I specifically avoided changers because I have like 300 CDs and if I can be responsible enough to put my records away after I use them I can do it with my CDs

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

Changers make me nervous because there's too many points of failure, I feel like. That and I somehow happened to get the only Sony changer from the 2000s that couldn't read CDrs. Have since switched to a CDP-315 which is like '94? and it somehow can play burned cds? I don't even know.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the ones in cars were the most unreliable (for perhaps obvious reasons :v:). discs would get lodged into them all the time. especially the ones integrated into the dash via a single slot rather than a cartridge under the seat or in the trunk. one of the ones in my car broke but the discs that were in it at the time could still be played and cycled through reliably enough, just never changed again

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
here's a little something to make up for the stereo and CD derail. a colorful haul from this past month or so -

waxahatchee - st cloud (on regular black vinyl not pictured)
gza - liquid swords (on "coke bottle" clear vinyl which i like a lot)
snoop dogg - doggystyle (30th anniversary edition on regular clear vinyl)
vince giraldi trio - charlie brown christmas (thanks to this thread for reminding me to get this, on festive semi-opaque green vinyl)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

thathonkey posted:

i have a random question does anyone happen to have tool - aenima on lp? i got a copy that is some kind of bootleg (judging by the price at least i think it must be). anyway it sounds kinda disappointing to my ear (overall quiet but especially lacking bass it seems :confused:) i was just wondering what other versions are like or if the mix on this album just sucks and ive never noticed

edit; i just compared it to my copy of undertow and wow this (bootleg?) aenima sounds like assssssss to the degree i did not even know was possible. oh well

I think I have the same bootleg and yeah I'm pretty sure it's made from the CD, poorly. Undertow sounds amazing, so does Opiate. Aenima doesn't sound good at all. One of these days I'm hoping they repress Aenima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Turbinosamente posted:

After my old receiver died I went with a Yamaha RX-V885. Thing has power.

Also has a phono port in the back, but why use that when you got a tube preamp? :smug: