Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Still waiting for that ADA certified build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Bilburnn/status/1737056669673349302

Idea: A mech wearing a suit and tie that uses one/two of these are its main weapons. Call it the "Negotiator".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cooked Auto posted:

Idea: A mech wearing a suit and tie that uses one/two of these are its main weapons. Call it the "Negotiator".
give the other arm a pile bunker and make it look like the Big O if it was dressed like Roger Smith

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

give the other arm a pile bunker and make it look like the Big O if it was dressed like Roger Smith

There is a mech in Super Robot War that's basically a giant businessman...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

The Atache is a stupid good weapon, I can confirm. Pairs well with the new Dafeng shoulder gattling guns.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Happy New Year, Armored Core Thread! New updates will be resuming in the new future. Thank you for your patience over the holidays.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
happy new years crow!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Happy new year 621, you're allowed an extra hour of rest today.

...The ALLMIND sends their greetings as well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
ALLMIND acts as a New Years party planning service for all mercenaries.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Gosh, I hope "Kate Markson" is going to be there!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Gosh, I hope "Kate Markson" is going to be there!

Stop posting nonsense, no one in an Armored Core game has a name that normal-sounding.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

nine-gear crow posted:

Stop posting nonsense, no one in an Armored Core game has a name that normal-sounding.

What if we all misheard it and she's really named K.A.T.E. Mark One

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If there is such a person, you have to know ALLMIND is there for her

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Baltie

Part 6: Baltie

Overview: At the direct request of Handler Walter himself, 621 assaults a PCA Coral Watchpoint installation in Northern Belius under cover of nightfall, and encounters something that changes everything… forever.

SULLA

Pilot of the AC Entangle. C1-249 Sulla is an independent mercenary of some renown with a prior history of working for, and later against Handler Walter.

Sulla is a walking miracle, a still-living Gen 1 Augmented Human. Though according to his file records on ALLMIND, Sulla is better characterized as a Gen 1 survivor, given first-generation augmentation surgery’s >10% survival rate. Sulla is one of the last, possibly THE last Gen 1 Augment still active in the galaxy.

Following the successful completion of his augment surgery, Sulla lost all interest in standard mercenary work and instead began to take jobs that focused solely on target elimination. The hunt was all he lived for now, and his prowess as an assassin is legendary. Sulla claims to have eliminated several of Walter’s Hounds prior to 621, and relishes the opportunity to put down yet another of his former master’s dogs.

Sulla is a curious mystery of a character. Despite being an aging mercenary with outdated augmentations, a broken mind and a failing body, he’s one of the more dangerous threats 621 has encountered thus far, and his AC Entangle is equipped with multiple advanced weapons and internal systems not readily available on the open market.

Furthermore, his presence at the Watchpoint itself is an enigma. That this mission was even going to happen at all was only known by three people: Walter, 621, and “Cinder” Carla, so how DID Sulla know to be there lying in wait for 621, especially since the Watchpoint’s comms blackout mean the PCA couldn’t call for any backup?

Sulla is voiced by Nicholas Roye, known for roles such as the player character in Digimon World: Next Order, Octavio “Octane” Silva in Apex Legends, Junpei Yoshino in Jujutsu Kaisen, Webster in Spidey and His Amazing Friends, and Yamato Ishida in Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna, a role inherited from Legally Proven Sexual Predator Vic Mignogna.

AYRE

A mysterious female-sounding voice who begins speaking to 621 after exposure to a massive burst of Coral inside Watchpoint Delta.

Ayre claims to be a native Rubiconian, but who, where and even what she really is is a mystery at the moment. Either way, following their “contact” at the Watchpoint, Ayre had been able to link to 621 through their implants as well as their AC and its comm system.

In the post-mission debrief for Attack The Watchpoint, 621 is shown to have told Walter about Ayre, at least in some capacity, though from the sound of it they either weren’t entirely truthful to Walter in their description of what happened to them, or Walter is choosing to dismiss it as 621 “hearing voices” as a side effect of the Coral exposure. At the very least, this DOES confirm that 621 does have some level of agency, personality and voice outside of our control as the player.

Either way, it appears that Ayre is going to be with us for the duration; a stowaway among stowaways. Ayre, for her part, is either unwilling, or unable to make her presence known to Walter (or anyone else, for that matter), so she is going to effectively be 621’s secret magical friend from this point onward.

Ayre is clearly set up as the foil to Walter right from the outset of her debut in the plot. While Walter is masculine, cynical, stand-offish, and unconcerned about the plights of Rubicon, Ayre is feminine, nurturing, curious and sympathetic to the common people of Rubicon and RLF. She is going to effectively be a second operator for 621 in missions, chiming in with her own alternate takes on matters both in mission and out without Walter even knowing she’s there. Sometimes her dissension with Walter’s point of view will be minor and semantic, other times… well, we’ll see.

Ayre is voiced by Erin Yvette, known for roles as Lynx in Fortnite, Alice in Street Fighter 6, Arlecchino in Genshin Impact and Alex in Oxenfree and Oxenfree II: Lost Signals.

WATCHPOINT DELTA

Originally part of a network of stations designed to regulate the flow of Coral on Rubicon, after the Fires of Ibis Watchpoint Delta has now become a monitoring installation under the authority of the PCA to observe and catalog the remains of the Coral on Rubicon and serve as an early warning system in case a new Fire is about to be lit.

Being a PCA installation, the Watchpoint is off limits to all sides in the conflict over the Coral. Any corporate forces detected breaching the Watchpoint’s defense perimeter would constitute a breach of the operating agreement negotiated with the PCA and result in the expulsion of all corporate assets from Rubicon by the Subject Guard. The RLF, meanwhile, doesn’t even have the strength to stand against SG, let along the off-planet PCA forces waiting to be called in in the case of an escalation with the corps, so they’ve written off basically all of Northern Belius to the PCA.

Attacking the Watchpoint directly was already a risky gamble, but now that it has triggered a gigantic Coral explosion which vaporized all of Northern Belius, you can basically guarantee now that Walter and 621 have just pinged the PCA’s radar super hard.

And the PCA does not abide rogue elements for long.

BALTEUS

AAP07: BALTEUS

An autonomous MT craft operated by the PCA’s Subject Guard stationed at Watchpoint Delta. Balteus is normally only called upon in cases of an extreme threat to the Watchpoint.

Capable of maneuvering options and speeds well in excess of even augmented human endurance, Balteus is able to maximize its combat potential thanks to its lack of a human operator behind the controls. However, because it is unmanned, the craft is slavishly dedicated to a repeating attack pattern and only capable of making minor tactical adjustments based on changing battlefield circumstances. That said, such adjustments are normally not needed as Balteus is usually able to eliminate any interloper within seconds of engagement due to its overwhelming firepower.

Balteus’ most prominent feature is the large “belt” like ring encircling its midsection. In fact, the word “balteus” itself originated from the Latin word for belt, specifically the baldric sword belt worn by Roman legionnaires. The belt is actually the housing assembly for a set of 14 rings of semi-circular missile launcher batteries with a 180° vertical firing arc and a full 360° horizontal firing arc. A pair of flamethrowers each with a 180° horizontal firing arc are also mounted on the ring, each capable of producing a “sword” of flame when overclocked. The MT unit also carries a dual gatling gun weapon on its right arm, and a powerful shotgun on its left arm. An RPG launcher is also mounted on the craft’s right shoulder. The craft is also capable of deploying a sustained pulse armor shield which renders it invulnerable to enemy fire until the shield is brought down. All this firepower combined makes Balteus a deadly threat at any range, and from nearly any angle.

Balteus is a particularly infamous boss in the Armored Core community, quickly earning a reputation for being the “Great Filter” or Armored Core 6 due to its initial sheer overwhelming difficulty. This was THE boss everyone was talking about for months after the game’s release and basically ended a lot of people’s time with the game because even for a FROM SOFTWARE boss, it was absurdly hard to beat. And as a result of that it became a meme and the face of Armored Core 6 for a while.

In fact, one of the primary focuses of the first patch for the game was lowering the difficulty of Balteus to make it easier to beat so the players could progress further into the game. People who managed to beat Balteus pre-patch—like CJacobs and I, and I imagine a few others reading and posting in this thread—are considered honored veterans in the Armored Core community.

C-WAVES

Mentioned in the intel pick-ups for this mission is the concept of “mutated C-Waves”. At present, this concept means little to us as the audience, and jack poo poo to a grubperson like 621, but given the fact that we grab this intel diddy from a Ghost mech at the Watchpoint right before we make contact with Ayre, there definitely seems to be a thread starting to connect the various looming mysteries of Armored Core 6’s plot, to say the least.

So the BARBarian was a smashing success just like the Barbie movie in real life and just loving broke Balteus over her pink plastic knee. Well done, goons, give yourself a collective pat on the back.

Now, your challenge is the complete the other half of the Barbenheimer meme and build me an OppenMech. CJacobs, as you may be aware of if you’ve followed his various LPs and stints on other peoples’ LPs, is deathly afraid of spiders. And it turns out that the upper reaches of the Grid beyond RaD territory has a tiny bit of a spider problem.

So make us an AC to deal with that poo poo with nuclear hellfire.

ALSO we now have access to OS TUNING in addition to our regular slate of customization options. At present, we have 3 OS Chips available for tuning options, and after we clear the E-Rank Arena we will have a total of 11 Chips we can put to use on anything on the Tuning board. So I will be adding the tuning options to the parts list in the follow up post for this update so you can start picking how to fine tune the AC even further now.

Keep in mind, OS Tuning is not set in stone, so we can at any time pay ALLMIND a fee and reset our tuning back to zero and start again with a new tune build if any of you are insane enough to suggest it and manage to get others on board with the idea.

One last thing: OS Tuning will be done by consensus. So make your case for what you want to spend your chips on well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And here is our Chapter 2 parts list with OS Tuning options:

RIGHT AND LEFT ARM WEAPONS

LEFT ARM EXCLUSIVE WEAPONS

RIGHT AND LEFT BACK WEAPONS

LEFT BACK EXCLUSIVE WEAPONS

HEADS

CORES

ARMS

LEGS

BOOSTERS

FCS

GENERATORS

OS TUNING

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
El-Th-10 Firmeza head, slap a head on.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ashmead

We need serious business.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

People have been wanting to see a tetrapod build and this mission is the perfect fit for something like the VP-424 legs.

Also, in terms of tuning chips you should definitely unlock Pulse Armor. That thing is a freaking godsend.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I vote Assault Armor for tuning.

note: Remember that melee tuning on the arms matters a big deal for how much damage that pile bunker is going to do, so GOONS, pick wisely. (or pick one with good load bearing for a huge serious business gun.)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

quote:

People who managed to beat Balteus pre-patch—like CJacobs and I, and I imagine a few others reading and posting in this thread—are considered honored veterans in the Armored Core community.

:smug:

Generator: Yaba daba do!

Nuclear Kitten posted:

And I vote Assault Armor for our expansion slot. We're in the Oppenmech, why wouldn't we take the explosion option?

:hai:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2024

Nuclear Kitten
Sep 30, 2021
Let's grab a Songbird on our right shoulder. And I vote Assault Armor for our expansion slot. We're in the Oppenmech, why wouldn't we take the explosion option?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Buerzel/21D booster to get in on the enemy to use that Ashmead properly.

And while Assault Armor sounds rad, I'm more interested in Weight Control so we can just heap on the stupidest gear. If both is an option, that's my obvious vote.

I forgot how ridiculously beautiful the BARBarian ended up being. :allears:

Geemer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 3, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pre-patch Balteus wasn't that bad by Fromsoft standards. I'd say Margit and Genichiro were much harder. It did depend a lot on your ability and willingness to change your build to counter it though, especially since weapon balance was significantly worse back then.

It's true it was a huge step up from the rest of the early game, but that's more because AC6 as a whole is pretty easy by Fromsoft standards.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 3, 2024

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
VP-46s for the arms. An Oppencore should be somewhat rounded. Though I have no idea what makes a good bot, so I'm oppen😉 to changing my vote if needed.

I'm so happy BARBarian got picked for the name! It literally came to me the instant I saw how buff the pink bot was.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Ayre claims to be a native Rubiconian,

Oh.
Ooooh.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Vvc-703PM and Weight Control More explosions.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pre-Nerf Balteus Veteran chiming in

also throw a Napalm Launcher on it

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BOOST KICK

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to add my vote for Weight Control, if only because everyone wants to put Dumb poo poo on our AC, so we might as well make sure we can carry said Dumb poo poo into battle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boost Kick and Weapon Bay are already unlocked.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

if we're dealing with spiders we definitely need the napalm bomb launcher

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Boost Kick and Weapon Bay are already unlocked.

Well, that's what i get for posting before finishing the video. Carry on then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
How about a DF-BD-08 Tian-Qiang core? That should handle power output!

And slow us down, but hey, slow and powerful seems on brand. Swap out as needed to make the build function, I'm no AC genius.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Alright then, this is your beast.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well... the arm specs don't really fit the weapons loaded to the arms, but otherwise this is a very solid load out in a lot of ways, used properly the napalm launcher can output a lot of hurt (and debuffs,) the songbirds are a strong weapon regardless, the plasma missiles are very solid, quick reloading but good stun and good against enemy mt units. Then we have the serious business of the pile bunker for either finishing enemies off, or stunning them in the fire place with a non charged swing.

But basically, the oppenmech will be vomitting out explosions in a variety of forms, Fire bombs, plasma bombs, regular bombs, and of course... pilebombs

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Slap a Radiation Warning on that sucker and we're golden. We already look like the Demon Core.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Shei-kun posted:

Slap a Radiation Warning on that sucker and we're golden. We already look like the Demon Core.

But also make all the glowy bits cherenkov blue. For that leaking look.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

habituallyred posted:

But also make all the glowy bits cherenkov blue. For that leaking look.

I am going to veto this one and stick with orange because that was the color theme of the movie. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why is Walter trying to act like he didn't intend to cause the Coral Surge? 621 doesn't have opinions on anything, there's not much gained in lying to it.