Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Same but like....a bunch more :sweatdrop:

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Finger Prince posted:

Happy new year.

B33rChiller

HNY from having to take Temps and give Tylenol to a kid so she can sleep.
I've had better, and I've had worse.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Quadramind posted:

Happy new year, friends!
I got engaged yesterday!

Congrats real big.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Haha, GaG, I made it to the future. Do you have any updog to loan me?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Happy new year. As is tradition,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MwhxdGAnic

Stoner Sloth

i noticed i had exactly 69 unread posts itt and thought i should do the needful and stop in to say happy new year BYOB!

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Stoner Sloth posted:

i noticed i had exactly 69 unread posts itt and thought i should do the needful and stop in to say happy new year BYOB!

I, for one of a part of BYOB, are always happy to see you posting. What have you been up to this year?

Stoner Sloth

nesamdoom posted:

I, for one of a part of BYOB, are always happy to see you posting. What have you been up to this year?

thank you friend! :unsmith:

it's been a bit of a mixed bag - caught up with an old friend i hadn't seen in an age so that was nice, also had some good food and a few quiet drinks with mates and watched the fireworks on new years eve which was nice

on the other side i have a very sore tooth and heard some sad news earlier. but i am doing over all pretty well and got some big plans for this year so hopeful for a better 2024 for myself and also for all my posting pals!!

Manifisto

Chewbecca posted:

Same but like....a bunch more :sweatdrop:

chewbs!! happy new year, I hope you are well!

and that goes for all of y'all!

Quadramind posted:

Happy new year, friends!
I got engaged yesterday!

holy poo poo that's amazing!! many congratulations.

ty nesamdoom!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
New year, new resolutions:

1. Stay in school

2. Be 2kool4skool

3. Boys drool

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

Random thought on English (and not other languages because I'm not fluent in them): Despite adding 'undead' to the lexicon, we really don't have a vocabulary that handles situations far out of what is considered (by everyone, everywhere) to be the norm.

I was reading a comic (by a famous person whose name escapes me shut up I'm old); noir-ish detective/action, standard and enjoyable. Our manly man is confronting a mad scientist who has developed a way for plants to respond to commands and actually move about. He orders them to attack Manly Man, who yells in fright, "The plants! They're alive!" ... yes? Plants do spend a lot of time being alive, after all!
But you see, we don't have a way to communicate that the plants are being very weird right now and not being plants in the way one expects them to be plants (offer not valid in Australia). I think we should work on that deficiency such that we can accurately convey our alarm and fright to others and also maybe get some help beyond a passing pedant rolling their eyes and muttering "no poo poo, Sherlock observation spot on".

that's interesting xcheo! I am at least somewhat aware of efforts to capture concepts like this through psychoanalytic terms such as "the uncanny" and "abjection," and honestly those are pretty interesting discussions regardless of whether you think they have broad value and insight to the human condition. I would venture to guess, though, that part of what makes (for example) a lovecraftian shambling horror so horrific is the very fact that we don't have simple terms and words adequate to describe it. to be able to put a name something is, to some extent, to be able to contain it; you can psychologically pigeonhole it as something you've thought about and confronted, and you know where at least some of its dangers/problems/threats are and where they aren't. when you suddenly notice that plants are acting like animals instead of plants, by contrast, it takes away one of the underpinnings of your worldview, and you have to brush up against the question, "if I'm wrong about that, what else have I been wrong about?"

in this way, I sort of think the subject matter resists an easy resolution. through extensive pop culture exploration, we sort of know what "zombies" are, or ways that things can be zombies, and we can sum up various fantastical premises by saying "it's a zombie scenario." but there is always the possibility of scenarios we just don't have a name for yet, and in a sense those are always going to be the more horrific scenarios . . . because we haven't developed the vocabulary.

but, you know, concepts like "the uncanny" and "abjection" are attempts to create categories that aren't limited to specific referents, and sure, if those became more common in day to day language that would probably be helpful. the "uncanny valley" is undoubtedly a useful term and already appeals to that concept in a way that has a bit of current relevance.

but, to firmly flog this horse to death, I suspect the problem will to some extent simply recur on higher levels. a little like Godel's incompleteness theorem: you can't just fix the problem by adding some fancier rules to your system; the new system, including your new rules, will have its own inadequacies.

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

Quadramind posted:

Happy new year, friends!
I got engaged yesterday!

holy poo poo, missed this one - congratulations friend!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

xcheopis posted:

The plants! They're attacking!
This is a good point, "alive" and "sentient" and "ambulatory" are all still weird things to be alarmed about, like there's already several things in the room that are all of those and we weren't alarmed before, so why should we be alarmed by more things being alive/sentient/ambulatory?

But *attacking*, that's a solid reason to be alarmed.

Though at that point perhaps you need to clarify that they're attacking *and* sentient and ambulatory, because houseplants attacking doesn't sound that frightening on its own.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

roomforthetuna posted:

This is a good point, "alive" and "sentient" and "ambulatory" are all still weird things to be alarmed about, like there's already several things in the room that are all of those and we weren't alarmed before, so why should we be alarmed by more things being alive/sentient/ambulatory?

Though at that point perhaps you need to clarify that they're attacking *and* sentient and ambulatory, because houseplants attacking doesn't sound that frightening on its own.

I hugged a cactus and it attacked me. We might need to form a posse and go after these cacti.

Finger Prince

roomforthetuna posted:

In the midst of a sneezing fit, mucus streaming from nose, eyes watering... "the plants! They're attacking!"

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"
Happy new year orbs

here's to posting much more and much worse in 2024 <3

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

xcheopis posted:

The plants! They're attacking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBqd4lcGUZM

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 1, 2024

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

holy juck, lol, was talking to TinyDoom and he wants to be a kid santa next year and I explained how we could buy presents and take them somewhere to give them to people that might need them and he's super on board. I might have a 5 year old santa rolling around next winter handing out stuff and I have never been happier about teaching him to be cool.

Finger Prince

Holy poo poo I just napped hard.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I'm waiting in line at the dr surgery and I have a feeling it'll be a while :sweatdrop:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

<fart>

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Stoner Sloth

lol was just outside smoking a joint and farted loud enough to startle a nearby possum :fart:

Goons Are Gifts

farts waking up both yourself and others is very byob imo

At least ever since I became mod and fought hard to give farts and butts the worship they clearly deserve

Goons Are Gifts

I'm not obsessed with butts, I have a normal relationship to that part of a body ok

now, farts, however,

Goons Are Gifts

Since I always got a 14kg heavy oxygen tank with me and I have a probe running from it to my nose to feed me oxygen, I had to drag this thing behind me for weeks now and honestly, I won't have it anymore, I can't drag this thing behind me all the time

so I got him a little hat and a mustache and now I need a name for him, then it's not a tank I'm dragging along, but a little friend

maybe Oswald... o2wald?

Goons Are Gifts

I need a tiny children's business suit for o2wald, I think.... And a briefcase...

Quadramind

lmao at o2wald
You have to get that stencilled on the tank

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
maybe you can get o2wald sponsored by lufthansa?

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Chewbecca posted:

I'm waiting in line at the dr surgery and I have a feeling it'll be a while :sweatdrop:

should we be concerned?

i'm concerned

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Chewbecca

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

should we be concerned?

i'm concerned

No no no I'm fine goon! Nothing dire, just vieiting any dr between Christmas and New year's is gonna be a pain in the arsehole, you know?

Old mate chewb has life in her yet!

Goons Are Gifts

Did you know that there are spinach plants that are able to send emails?
https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/02/01/scientists-have-taught-spinach-to-send-emails-and-it-could-warn-us-about-climate-change
I think I just doxxed a couple of BYOB posters...

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Goons Are Gifts posted:

I need a tiny children's business suit for o2wald, I think.... And a briefcase...

Two oxygen tanks in a trenchcoat

Gaylor Moon

Gender? I hardly know'er
HONK HONK

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Goons Are Gifts posted:

Did you know that there are spinach plants that are able to send emails?
https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/02/01/scientists-have-taught-spinach-to-send-emails-and-it-could-warn-us-about-climate-change
I think I just doxxed a couple of BYOB posters...

Please this is the only way I can win Eurovision

Goons Are Gifts

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiW3QbTZEs&t=28s

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

g0lbez

and then you'll beg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quadramind

Good morning, orbs. It is coffee time.