Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally a plot point in multiple Robocop movies that he has to have the legal immunity of the ruling class literally programmed into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I would simply not put an unaccountable computer program in charge of law enforcement

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

People totally gonna run in fear of the vexatious litigant machine.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yudkowsky is the best at spending his spare time inventing new fictional premises to give himself a panic attack

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
It's maybe the most astonishing idea of the legal system I've ever seen

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's literally a plot point in multiple Robocop movies that he has to have the legal immunity of the ruling class literally programmed into him.

yeah they'll never trust a machine programmed by wage earners to do this though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I would simply not put an unaccountable computer program in charge of law enforcement

I don't think he's suggesting that the computer would be put in charge, just that it would be able to look up and learn all the laws, find one you've broken, and report you. Yudkowsky is overlooking the fact that this would then require the police to give a poo poo and actually do something about it, the prosecutor to consider it a worthwhile use of resources, and the whole thing to go before a court and not get thrown out as a waste of everyone's time. Like, you can call up the police and tell them your neighbour cut a $20 note in half or swore on a train, and a hypothetical AI could also do that, but in both cases the police will not do anything about it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tiggum posted:

I don't think he's suggesting that the computer would be put in charge, just that it would be able to look up and learn all the laws, find one you've broken, and report you. Yudkowsky is overlooking the fact that this would then require the police to give a poo poo and actually do something about it, the prosecutor to consider it a worthwhile use of resources, and the whole thing to go before a court and not get thrown out as a waste of everyone's time. Like, you can call up the police and tell them your neighbour cut a $20 note in half or swore on a train, and a hypothetical AI could also do that, but in both cases the police will not do anything about it.

That's what I was trying to get at. Yud's assuming that the entire legal system will devote itself to enacting the Robot King's will, which is a pretty big assumption

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DRINK ME posted:

Yes the ai (actually the llm’s) have so far proved quite adept at helping in the legal profession.

I wonder what he imagines is actually in the “entire legal code”, because maybe it’s the way he lives his life that makes it hard to follow the law but I don’t think it’s full of gotchas just waiting to be weaponised or we’d definitely see that being abused already.

He doesn't know how code works, he doesn't know how anything works, he's just an "ideas guy" for ai.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is just an unused sequel script to RoboCop.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Nuh uh, the AI will put a digital simulation of you that is so accurate in jail that you don't know if you're not it, so you should do the right thing all the time (legally) so you don't get put in cyberjail

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flesh Forge posted:

The very last thing Americans need to worry about is our government giving up law enforcement authority from partisan elected officials and appointees to some hypothetical impartial entity

They give it up to an ostensibly impartial entity, not an actually impartial entity.

The point of these algorithms is to launder racism, not eliminate it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

american culture doesn't want even the appearance of impartiality, this is why poo poo like gerrymandering is explicitly legal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Racial gerrymandering is explicitly illegal.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kind of the plot of one of the books in a German 70s YA science fiction series ("Mark Brandis"), in which they put a computer in charge of the legal system. Everyone's happy about it at first, including the protagonist, until it shockingly turns out that the human factor might be important, the protagonist is arrested and goes through a lengthy show trial, etc, in the end they manage to shut it down.

This is the same series that had such outlandish ideas as an Multinational Western vs China space race, in which a racist South African is saved by the Black crew member after handing him over to the enemy, making him rethink his convictions, and "What if we dumped our nuclear waste into Kilimanjaro? What could poss-- oh, it erupted, killing a lot of people."

e: hell, the first four books are about overthrowing Modern Hitler and his clone army. A Congolese engineer, the protagonist's best friend, is pivotal here, too.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Jan 4, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Racial gerrymandering is explicitly illegal.

yeah that's what I said

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Quick we need to program a counter AI to endlessly tell the legal AI that actually this is a Civil Dispute unless it's a minority.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darkhold posted:

Quick we need to program a counter AI to endlessly tell the legal AI that actually this is a Civil Dispute unless it's a minority.

We already have this it's called Ben Shapiro.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

he's just an "ideas guy" for ai.

thats unfair, hes also a prolific harry potter fan fiction author

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
is the Entire Legal Code in the room with us right now?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/No7Sammy/status/1742690455530398186

on the right is Helen Joyce, professional terf and purportedly cis woman

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itfru6blTYc

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

this is the stupidest human on earth

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Extinction via lawsuits is the bleak future Charles Dickens warned us about.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

GreenMetalSun posted:

this is the stupidest human on earth

Turn on your monitor

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

"I thought it was a SHAME he is a pedophile" :saddumb:

Is that Alan "I am NOT a pedophile, release all the information you have, I am NOT a pedophile, I will be exonerated in the court of public opinion, O am NOT A PEDOPHILE" Dershowitz?

Someone less lazy dig those tweets back up, they'll be even funnier now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*ED-209 spins up guns, targets perp* CITIZEN, ARE YOU LAW ABIDING? LIST EVERY LAW

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Currently the only crimes being committed and not punished (that a jury might actually give a poo poo about) are crimes committed by the rich, so yeah go for it. Not like an AI would have perfect knowledge of what everyone in the world is doing at all times but sure let's pretend

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Flesh Forge posted:

https://twitter.com/No7Sammy/status/1742690455530398186

on the right is Helen Joyce, professional terf and purportedly cis woman

The "I can always tell" crowd is my favorite bunch of face-eating leopards as they always, inevitably devolve into internal accusations and screaming.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neito posted:

The "I can always tell" crowd is my favorite bunch of face-eating leopards as they always, inevitably devolve into internal accusations and screaming.

I always expect these types to end up doubting their own gender as a sort of inevitable endpoint of this line of reasoning.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I always expect these types to end up doubting their own gender as a sort of inevitable endpoint of this line of reasoning.

"I was transed against my will" is absolutely something these idiots would start screaming about. Zero self awareness among any of them.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

Is that Alan "I am NOT a pedophile, release all the information you have, I am NOT a pedophile, I will be exonerated in the court of public opinion, O am NOT A PEDOPHILE" Dershowitz?

Yes he is the one with dril for a lawyer

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I see that after his last fascination, "Catholicism, but with an AI", Yudkowski has now moved on to "Being a minority, but with an AI".

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Data Graham posted:

*ED-209 spins up guns, targets perp* CITIZEN, ARE YOU LAW ABIDING? LIST EVERY LAW

i read some french science fiction story from i think the 70s that was exactly this, complete with very contented robot going around cheerfully blasting anyone who ventured outside

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i read some french science fiction story from i think the 70s that was exactly this, complete with very contented robot going around cheerfully blasting anyone who ventured outside

there was a throwaway one-off story in the archie sonic the hedgehog comic like 20 years ago with the same premise and godawful Ron Lim art, iirc

it’s not a new or even particularly interesting premise

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dabir posted:

He already went on fox news about it, would you believe the full documents actually exonerate him? Oh there are no pages that show that? Clearly those were deliberately withheld. The public needs to see complete unredacted documents including the witness and victim names.

It's a matter of public record Dersh both corresponded with law enforcement to try and poison the well during the first Epstein case and also would send PIs to harass Epstein's victims. This harassment included impersonating cops and implying that they'd be in legal trouble for failing to cooperate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kit Walker posted:

Currently the only crimes being committed and not punished (that a jury might actually give a poo poo about)
Oh, you adorable idealist. There are many crimes the police don't even bother to investigate. This isn't just white collar crimes, it's simple thefts, rape, domestic abuse, and anything the cop on the desk didn't care about. In San Francisco they often can't be bothered to investigate car theft.

In any case, Yudkowsky is assuming the multiple codes of the US, the state, the county, and the towns, are complete and computable. He's wrong. Apart from the whole Gödel thing, laws often contradict each other. And there's a lot of crusty stuff in the judicial code that is dead and never enforced. There are states where adultery is still illegal IIRC.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A bunch of places still have sodomy laws on the books or recently struck them down.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, you adorable idealist. There are many crimes the police don't even bother to investigate. This isn't just white collar crimes, it's simple thefts, rape, domestic abuse, and anything the cop on the desk didn't care about. In San Francisco they often can't be bothered to investigate car theft.

In any case, Yudkowsky is assuming the multiple codes of the US, the state, the county, and the towns, are complete and computable. He's wrong. Apart from the whole Gödel thing, laws often contradict each other. And there's a lot of crusty stuff in the judicial code that is dead and never enforced. There are states where adultery is still illegal IIRC.

the contradictory laws are like…an inherent part of the implied threat, c’mon. yudz is dumb as a rock without ascribing him entirely new stupid beliefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Getting cornered by the Law AI Cop and shouting "This sentence is false!" and escaping easily.