Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thank God it wasn't a hard shot, and I was wearing a cup. I've got a pretty nice bruise on my inner thigh. Thankfully the other swelling has gone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I hope you're ok, but I'm sad there's no audio. Here's a saved video from last year of a guy who spent $5k on goalie gear to play <10 games taking a shot to the groin and loudly shouting "OHH MY DICK".

(I spent $80 on a goalie cup and have taken multiple hard shots to the groin and never once felt anything even approaching uncomfortable pressure, so I don't know how this happened to him.)

https://i.imgur.com/wuPEXuh.mp4

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pleads posted:

I hope you're ok, but I'm sad there's no audio. Here's a saved video from last year of a guy who spent $5k on goalie gear to play <10 games taking a shot to the groin and loudly shouting "OHH MY DICK".

(I spent $80 on a goalie cup and have taken multiple hard shots to the groin and never once felt anything even approaching uncomfortable pressure, so I don't know how this happened to him.)

https://i.imgur.com/wuPEXuh.mp4

I saw the live barn but there was no audio. I didn't even really say anything, just sort of dropped and groaned. Thankfully it was my last shift of the night.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah LiveBarn not being standardized for quality+audio is kind of a failing of their whole structure. Because we miss out on the *doink* sound when players take a hockey puck to the groin.

I hope the refs didn't laugh at you as much as they did our goalie.

e: I got my first goalie point ever on Sunday, a paddle-down deflection to a teammate who went straight up the ice and scored. I think this is the most I've ever reacted to a goal our team has scored, ever, and we've had multiple late tying/winning goals.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 20, 2023

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Thank God it wasn't a hard shot, and I was wearing a cup. I've got a pretty nice bruise on my inner thigh. Thankfully the other swelling has gone down.

Obligatory "give that man the $10,000" gif goes right here lol. Just an stellar body flop on that one my goondolences to your junk.

Also that drop in with the beer-in-a-box sounds like a fun idea

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pleads posted:

Yeah LiveBarn not being standardized for quality+audio is kind of a failing of their whole structure. Because we miss out on the *doink* sound when players take a hockey puck to the groin.

The rinks can decide to turn off the audio and a couple of them do here because of the location of the mic being right above the benches for the kid games. At least that’s what I’ve been told. I wish the audio would be on so I can here what sort of cranky nonsense the benches get up to saying. Really helpful when filling out misconduct reporting when a coach crosses the line.

Gratz on your first goalie point! I give one of those every few weeks it feels like.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

lol

Sorry that happened to you, but that's pretty funny. I've actually only had that happen to me once or twice in the 12-13 years I've been playing, but that poo poo will crumple you to the ground in a split second.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I went to check livebarn to see if i could pull a clip of my poo poo getting destroyed and that entire period just isn't there. I'm assuming they pulled it cause the recording goes from a couple min left in the first straight to the 3rd. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

.Spec posted:

I went to check livebarn to see if i could pull a clip of my poo poo getting destroyed and that entire period just isn't there. I'm assuming they pulled it cause the recording goes from a couple min left in the first straight to the 3rd. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Livebarns is an absolute piece of poo poo now. But just for completions sake: did you check for a Pano version as opposed to the Auto?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

.Spec posted:

I went to check livebarn to see if i could pull a clip of my poo poo getting destroyed

Here's me separating my right shoulder and breaking my left middle finger on livebarn. Ref didn't even call a penalty on the guy who slammed into me. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlSgmd6HQ4E

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Duke Chin posted:

Livebarns is an absolute piece of poo poo now. But just for completions sake: did you check for a Pano version as opposed to the Auto?

Yeah it is, the fact that loading a video is an akin to an act of god is truly something. You were right though, the pano has the full game. It's hard to see since it's panorama but I'm still saving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfOtNwaNrA

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pleads posted:

I'm sad there's no audio.

I'm sorry Verman but sound was requested: https://streamable.com/4c2p9f

It's amazing how the puck can find the soft parts no matter what.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My last learn to skate is Saturday. Overall feeling comfy skating around, obviously can only do basic stuff, need help stopping, or transferring from going forward to backward. Biggest issue is man, my feet reaaaaaallly hurt when I'm out there. I'll lift my feet and it relieves the pressure. I got new insoles but no difference. I'm just guessing it's something I need to get used to over time, or maybe new skates since I'm on borrowed ones from Duke Chin anyway :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

seiferguy posted:

My last learn to skate is Saturday. Overall feeling comfy skating around, obviously can only do basic stuff, need help stopping, or transferring from going forward to backward. Biggest issue is man, my feet reaaaaaallly hurt when I'm out there. I'll lift my feet and it relieves the pressure. I got new insoles but no difference. I'm just guessing it's something I need to get used to over time, or maybe new skates since I'm on borrowed ones from Duke Chin anyway :v:

Oh yeah you can go get em baked for your feet btw - should still have a bake left in em.

But yeah your feet are just gonna be like low key sore on ice for a lil bit till you get used to the whole weird process of skating.

Next up is to get you into LtP Hockey 1! :toot:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Welp, just played another 3 hour hockey, beer, pizza where you sit and drink a beer for every goal you score. I got 3 again so I was relatively unscathed but I set up three great goals so I'm pretty happy with the evening. I might have had a few extras on the bench because 3 hours is a lot of hockey and I needed hydration.

I also got my skates sharpened for the first time since before I hurt my back 2-1/2 years ago. They feel so good. I had a pretty big gouge on one edge from the metal bolt under a bench so I'm happy that its gone. They told me I need new steel soon, it is really short, but likely I should just buy new skates since mine are pretty beat up. They're not wrong.

Overall it was a great night. Had a great time and this is easily my favorite hockey that I play. My wife and I are going to the winter classic Monday so I'm excited for that, then I play the outdoor tournament in Winthrop MLK weekend so it's going to be a lot of hockey stuff in the next few weeks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Hate to double post but I went to the winter classic today. It was fun. Kraken won. It was a bit chaotic but I had a good time. The weather was perfect.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Jesus, triple post?

Played a game with my sub team again and the opponents had a half dozen college kids show up, with matching college helmets and gloves and proceeded to walk every single person on the ice at will.

This is div 5c kraken league, 8 is absolute beginners from learn to play and 1-2 are former pro/junior/college players. 5c are mostly people who never played organized hockey or are old and slow.

What the gently caress. They hid them back on defense and dialed it down at times but at any point could turn it on and burn us at will going coast to coast and ringing hard shots from anywhere. Their shots were lasers. I blocked a snap shot with my 110 flex stick and it snapped in half between my hands.

I just started hitting them every time they came into the zone and tried cutting across the middle. Want to deke and toe drag 4 of my players on entry? I'm hitting you if you try to come through the slot and I'm tripping you if you get past me. I got away with a lot but got called when I broke my stick. Apparently I interacted with it after and got an unsportsmanlike.

It's so frustrating to see poo poo like this happen. These guys didn't even need these kids. They're already a good team. I'm honestly surprised we got double digit shots and more than one goal. I think it was 20-50 shots. I think the score was 3-8 but could so easily have been 3-16. The 11pm start really added to the frustration.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Verman posted:

The 11pm start really added to the frustration.

the worst part of this sport

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

my homie dhall posted:

the worst part of this sport

Yeah the kids whose parents pay $12,000 a year to play get the best ice time. Low level adult leagues get the 10pm and later start times.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

Played a game with my sub team again and the opponents had a half dozen college kids show up, with matching college helmets and gloves and proceeded to walk every single person on the ice at will.

They come back and play all summer too. They were in first place in the summer season, were in the playoffs. Then classes started and the team lost in the first round iirc. It's one thing to have a friend or a kid come play with your beer league team and sandbag hard because they just want to play with friends. It's another to have a whole line of them not sandbagging. They'd get owned in Div 1-2 though where they're supposed to play.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

A guy who played in Juniors and at Illinois came in and subbed against my D-league team once. That was not fun at all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

A guy who played in Juniors and at Illinois came in and subbed against my D-league team once. That was not fun at all.

Lols why? How was that fun for that guy?

Div 5 here is about a C league in most places. A/B are about Div 1-3/4, and D league is 6ish to 10! Why do we have 10 divs? IDK stop adding teams. We get a handful of new teams each year right now straight from the Kraken Learn 2 Play, but they're at least stuck in Div 10 away from people who can skate (and stop). I'd rather be on the ice with the former college/juniors players.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah the kids whose parents pay $12,000 a year to play get the best ice time. Low level adult leagues get the 10pm and later start times.
It's always the best when you get a nice early 9:30pm start only for it to be delayed 45 minutes because the prior games ran long

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have a 6pm game on Sunday. Something is wrong with the world. We’re going to have 15 skaters! I’m actually going to need to change?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ugh we had a 7pm game at showare center and it was brutal trying to get there on time. There was a massive accident on the highway mid rush hour and half our team and our opponents showed up late.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Verman posted:

Hate to double post but I went to the winter classic today. It was fun. Kraken won. It was a bit chaotic but I had a good time. The weather was perfect.

My first NHL game was the 2020 Winter Classic. I loved every loving minute of it.
I have a ridiculous hatred of every Seattle based team....but....sigh. The Kraken do good things, their players are good, and Marshawn Lynch is part owner.
So maybe I'll restrict my blind hatred to the Seahawks and some nearsighted dislike for the Kraken.. :D

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone tried Hoapa sticks? A dude on one of my teams turned me onto them and you can customize the poo poo out of most of their sticks. I got a 2-pack of these completely custom sticks for $170 shipped using a coupon code that unfortunately expired Jan 1.

You can even get custom wood sticks, haha.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Verman posted:

Jesus, triple post?

This is div 5c kraken league, 8 is absolute beginners from learn to play and 1-2 are former pro/junior/college players. 5c are mostly people who never played organized hockey or are old and slow.

What the gently caress. They hid them back on defense and dialed it down at times but at any point could turn it on and burn us at will going coast to coast and ringing hard shots from anywhere. Their shots were lasers. I blocked a snap shot with my 110 flex stick and it snapped in half between my hands.

I just started hitting them every time they came into the zone and tried cutting across the middle. Want to deke and toe drag 4 of my players on entry? I'm hitting you if you try to come through the slot and I'm tripping you if you get past me. I got away with a lot but got called when I broke my stick. Apparently I interacted with it after and got an unsportsmanlike.

It's so frustrating to see poo poo like this happen. These guys didn't even need these kids. They're already a good team. I'm honestly surprised we got double digit shots and more than one goal. I think it was 20-50 shots. I think the score was 3-8 but could so easily have been 3-16. The 11pm start really added to the frustration.

this is my regular experience at D4(lowest level) at my local rink in denver. Is it not normal to have a team of people fresh out of learn to play getting stomped on 0-15 by a team of ex college players?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Also got to leave work at 2 to skate on the winter classic rink with some friends today. That was fun.

Verman fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 4, 2024

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pretty drat cool, man

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Jhet posted:

I'd rather be on the ice with the former college/juniors players.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Verman posted:

Also got to leave work at 2 to skate on the winter classic rink with some friends today. That was fun.

We're getting very close to the SAS Seattle hockey player singularity. I went to the 2:30 session today and it was super fun albeit very chaotic on the ice, even by public skate standards. Was super cool to be able to get on the rink for a bit before they pack everything up for good. Now to try not and hurt myself in a late KCI skate.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 4, 2024

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Lols, how long ago is this from LIC? That sign looks pretty old.

I think the WC ice is up for one more day and is getting taken down on Friday. Super awesome that everyone's having a bunch of fun with it. Too many Seattle hockey people itt where we're all going to need to at least drink beer in a parking lot at some point.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

.Spec posted:

We're getting very close to the SAS Seattle hockey player singularity. I went to the 2:30 session today and it was super fun albeit very chaotic on the ice, even by public skate standards. Was super cool to be able to get on the rink for a bit before they pack everything up for good. Now to try not and hurt myself in a late KCI skate.

I was also at the 2:30 session today :raise:

This same thing happened in a game of mine back in Chicago 10 years ago. It's not quite poop glove level shenanigans but I was dying laughing because the stick was stuck 20' in the netting.

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 4, 2024

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jhet posted:

Lols why? How was that fun for that guy?

if I were a bettin' man it's cause they're probably lovely plugs on their normal teams/proper division and just want to stomp on us trash tier folk to feel good about their miserable selves lol

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Jhet posted:

Lols, how long ago is this from LIC? That sign looks pretty old.

I think the WC ice is up for one more day and is getting taken down on Friday. Super awesome that everyone's having a bunch of fun with it. Too many Seattle hockey people itt where we're all going to need to at least drink beer in a parking lot at some point.

I want to say it was 2019 at LIC, Div 1/2. That game got rough but the best part of that was neither ref saw the stick go over. One of our players had to go get the stick, hand it to the ref, and then the guy got tossed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Anybody going to Winthrop this weekend. Looks like its going to be an adventure to say the least.

Blizzard conditions over the passes tonight and tomorrow. Single digit and below on FRI and SAT. This is going to be brutal if we can even get there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Take your chains. If it’s blizzard in the pass it’s going to be slow driving up through the Methow valley especially once you’re on 20. Beautiful drive if you can see anything in the snow, but when we were there last year it added an hour of extra car time almost and it was only some snow flurries and not blizzard.

There was enough snow that the piles from the plows were 15’ tall. Great fun for the kids to get to play outside and the mountains behind the rink are awesome scenery.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

We couldn't get enough guys to commit otherwise I'd be going. I was kinda bummed about it but seeing the forecast for the weekend I'm ok with it now. I don't have the desire to gently caress with "chains required" weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The chains poo poo absolutely sucks but those temps are fantastic.