Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That happens to me too occasionally. It's very disconcerting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
So I popped into BestBuy today for the first time in a while and checked out some phones. My goodness have foldables come a long ways, I actually want a Razr or Galaxy Flip like really bad. Oh and the Pixel 8 size is absolutely perfect, more phones should be like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alan_Shore posted:

Return 👏 your 👏 broken 👏 phone

100% gimmick poster at this point.

The gems over the years.

quote:

17 days since I've been using my brand new Pixel XL and I've had to restart it around 4 or 5 times today. Not including the few times that it froze and was unresponsive for about 30-40 seconds. 2 days past the pathetic 15-day return window and there's a reason I kept my iPhone 7 Plus around just in case.

That went on for multiple pages including an RMA back to Google.

quote:

My Pixel XL replacement won't charge. I plug it into the USB C connector in the wall and the battery icon will flash the lightning bolt icon (charging) for a second and then go away, then it comes back for a second then it goes away again.

quote:

Third Pixel now. Froze and locked up earlier tonight while driving (after about a week of working fine). I long-pressed power button to reset and ignored the phone for a while (was with company). I go to drive home, and find that the phone will not let me two-finger swipe down or swipe down twice for extra notifications. Cellular data and WiFi will not turn on whatsoever. Apps will open but no connection. Home and App Switcher buttons respond to touch but perform no actions. Have restarted the phone multiple times. Ejected and reinserted SIM card. Nothing work

quote:

decided to pull a very weird flex and dunked my pixel 2 xl into a swimming pool yesterday. everyone else gasped but i was super confident about it bc i've seen those videos where people leave their phones in a cup of water for hours and test to see if they still work (they do) so i figured i had nothing to worry about.

the software works perfectly fine, but my front facing camera has condensation that probably won't go away and the charging port is iffy. so yeah don't be a derp rear end like me. i'm still confident the phone would have held up better if it hadn't already been through wear and tear from me dropping it a few times etc.

(after buying a Pixel 5)

quote:

without fail, i can reproduce this fun series of events:
- power button to lock screen
- fingerprint scanner to unlock to home screen
- power button to lock screen
- fingerprint scanner to "wake screen"
- fingerprint scanner 2nd time to unlock to home screen
- repeat from first step

with
out
fail

another fun one:
- double-press power button for camera app/screen
- power button to turn off screen
- tap screen once to navigate back to camera app/screen

everything is so inconsistent that i am breaking my own rule here about commentary on software teams, but these idiots do not deserve to keep their jobs after this.

Only in the very next reply to show a severely shattered screen that was likely wreaking havoc on the digitizer inputs.

After getting a 6 Pro.

quote:

anyway i decided that i would give the p6p a fair try since i like stock android so much. just got home with it maybe less than an hour ago.

SIGH

• i have already ran into some bug where swiping down for the notification tray doesn't display the four main "card" tiles for internet, DND, etc; it's just a black area that can't be tapped on.
  • the fingerprint sensor is absolute hot garbage slow bullshit that already isn't recognizing presses or taking like 3 seconds to unlock.
  • after pressing the power button to put the device to sleep, the fingerprint icon won't show on the always-on display along with the time and notification icons. putting my finger on the area where the icon is supposed to be just causes the screen to go fully blank for a second and then return to its previous state. this renders the phone impossible to unlock unless i deliberately press the power button again.
  • this is something i could have gathered if i had done better research, but why on earth does the fingerprint sensor area get SO bright. what an absolute nightmare that must be to use while in bed at night lol.
  • sometimes, when the fingerprint icon is present, i'll put my finger on the sensor and it'll just wake to a state as if i had pressed the power button, taking it from the "off" always-on-display state to the screen-on unlocked state. this is very similar to what was happening with my pixel 5 so i'm absolutely certain it's just some wonky android 12 pixel bullshit that hasn't been fixed.
  • overall, it's just comically large and uncomfortable to hold. can't imagine it fitting well in a pair of gym shorts

this poo poo is going back tomorrow and i am very likely just going to get a loving iphone lol. what a massive monumental disappointment. the pixel 2 xl was one of the best phones i've ever used and it's just been straight downhill ever since.

Then later, sure it still has nothing to do with the broken screen or the multiple drops that caused it to be broken.

quote:

my pixel 5 always on display just doesn't work anymore since last week. haven't done poo poo to the phone whatsoever. i'm sure something is making the ambient light sensor think it's in my pocket or something i don't loving know. this phone is so frustrating but i also literally can't see myself with anything else because all other phones also suck in worse ways.

Oh wait, a few months later nothing WRONG with the phone (except for all the things that are wrong with the phone).

quote:

i'll def check out these reviews, but i'm still on the fence about whether it'll be "worth" it to upgrade from the pixel 5

aside from a slightly cracked screen (which i don't really give a poo poo about at all) and a slightly faulty usb-c jack, there's nothing "wrong" with my phone.

Ah now we're up to the USB-C stuff for the Pixel 8... no wait, this is the 5, sounds really familiar.

quote:

my usb-c port still works, but it's wonky if you move it at all. it depends on the cable itself usually, but even older cables that my phone has a hard time with still work for other devices.

for example, with android auto, my phone will be plugged in and sitting in a cupholder or whatever and then ill hit a bump and the phone disconnects from the car, even tho the cable is still perfectly inserted. like i said, newer cables are better, but they're not perfect. basically if you jiggle the connector where it inserts into the phone at all, it freaks out

Then Pixel 7 which seemed mostly fine until this.

quote:

i just recorded a front facing video on my p7 and it wouldn't stop when i hit the stop button. and it wouldn't let me swipe up to go home or use the back gesture. lol cool

Then

quote:

i'm not necessarily trying to perpetuate device/platform war/animosity or anything, just sharing my personal experience, but i have been curious for like 3 years now so i finally bit the bullet and bought an iphone 15 pro that i switched to from a pixel 7

WE'RE FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

quote:

i'm gonna return it today and pick up a pixel 8 instead.

GOD.loving.DAMNIT.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

edit: just forget it. loving lol. if you wanna dig through my post history and recap all the poo poo that's gone wrong with my pixel phones over the years and claim im gimmick posting that's on you. some people live in the real world where we don't put huge ugly chunky cases on our phones, and where we don't immediately return a device with a few scratches or even cracks on it. jesus christ.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 4, 2024

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Isn't Bull the poster who's gone through like 100 different phones? What a weird post

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ShoogaSlim posted:

edit: just forget it. loving lol. if you wanna dig through my post history and recap all the poo poo that's gone wrong with my pixel phones over the years and claim im gimmick posting that's on you. some people live in the real world where we don't put huge ugly chunky cases on our phones, and where we don't immediately return a device with a few scratches or even cracks on it. jesus christ.

:ok:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ShoogaSlim posted:

you said you have trouble charging the loving thing that's not returning it for a minor scratch you loving clown

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

XIII posted:

Isn't Bull the poster who's gone through like 100 different phones? What a weird post

Phones and stuff are bull's hobby, and he's somebody I'd consider an expert. God only knows how many phones he currently has, but by memory if he gets rid of a phone it's usually by trading it in on a new phone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

someone who goes through that many phones, whether by hobby or profession, has even less understanding of what regular normal people do with the one phone they have and use for a handful of years.

i posted about my charger port being finicky despite having no dust. ok fine! it's maybe/probably broken! i'll return it. that's why i have a protection plan on it.

but potentially having a hardware issue doesn't mean software issues are related. swiping through open apps behaving weird probably has nothing to do with the cable port. or maybe it does! but it's just a weird thing to snap about and dig through someone's post history claiming im a gimmick poster.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

someone who goes through that many phones, whether by hobby or profession, has even less understanding of what regular normal people do with the one phone they have and use for a handful of years.

i posted about my charger port being finicky despite having no dust. ok fine! it's maybe/probably broken! i'll return it. that's why i have a protection plan on it.

but potentially having a hardware issue doesn't mean software issues are related. swiping through open apps behaving weird probably has nothing to do with the cable port. or maybe it does! but it's just a weird thing to snap about and dig through someone's post history claiming im a gimmick poster.

Haven't we done this dance before? I'm not throwing out any probes or even really a warning at this point, but I swear this exact conversation has happened before, although it might not have been bull that brought it up the last time.

Personally, I hate plugging in phones or other devices, and have converted everything to either wireless charging or magnetic USB. I even go so far as to have a rubber stopper in the USB port on my phone so it doesn't collect lint or whatever. On my devices with a 3.5mm jack those get stoppers, too. USB-C is better than previous iterations like USB-micro in terms of robustness, but it's still a place fatigue and damage can happen.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

real talk it just makes me pretty bummed to know that the one place i figure it's acceptable to post about my experience with a phone is where i'm getting yelled at, called a gimmick and a clown, and ridiculed.

i'm a consumer tech enthusiast. i like android, i like pixels, i defend my phone platform in real life all the time. if my phone bugs out, i figure i can come here and share about it. i'm not saying my phone is a piece of poo poo even though it feels like that's all people see in my posts. i post because i actually care, as lame as that may seem.

so what's the right etiquette? what doesn't go against the rules or put me at risk of being probed?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Defend your phone platform? No one could possibly give two shits what phone you use in 2024.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

wrong. interact with real people who care that their texts to you are green and videos send looking like they came from a moto razr. it's a real problem.

or am i "doing it wrong" with the people in my real life, too?

edit: there's more truth to this stand-up bit than you realize and i envy you for not having to deal with it IRL but don't come at me like i'm wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoBA0qNoSgQ

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 4, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

real talk it just makes me pretty bummed to know that the one place i figure it's acceptable to post about my experience with a phone is where i'm getting yelled at, called a gimmick and a clown, and ridiculed.

i'm a consumer tech enthusiast. i like android, i like pixels, i defend my phone platform in real life all the time. if my phone bugs out, i figure i can come here and share about it. i'm not saying my phone is a piece of poo poo even though it feels like that's all people see in my posts. i post because i actually care, as lame as that may seem.

so what's the right etiquette? what doesn't go against the rules or put me at risk of being probed?

You don't necessarily have to change anything, but I'm not telling anyone else to change what they are doing, either. If things turn into too much of a derail I'll say to knock it off, but for the time being I was mostly just making an observation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShoogaSlim posted:

Mostly it looks like people are just suggesting you replace your phone, and yet here you are crying

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

if my phone bugs out, i figure i can come here and share about it. i'm not saying my phone is a piece of poo poo even though it feels like that's all people see in my posts. i post because i actually care, as lame as that may seem.

I think what's unclear is what you want to happen as a result of those posts. You're usually not talking in generalities, you're talking about specific issues where the fix is often going to be "get it replaced under warranty/under your protection plan, it sucks but the thread can't do anything for this issue." It'd be one thing to say "X is happening and so I'm sending the phone back," but without the second part, it's going to sound like whining regardless of whether or not that's your intent.

Using myself as an example: I won't buy a Pixel again, flat out. I've bought three and have had too many issues; fool me four or more times, shame on me. My best friend only buys Pixels and she's also had to RMA one and replace another much sooner than intended. Is this just anecdotal bad luck? Yes! Absolutely it is. It's enough to put me off Pixels for good, but it's still just five bad phones across two people. If I'd come to the thread back then and said "have to return another Pixel because of X, Y and Z," then, yeah, I'd expect some commiseration; there's a problem, it sucks, and this is the only way to resolve it and it also sucks. If I'd instead come to the thread and said, "welp, look at X, Y and Z, looks like the Pixels are still garbage phones!" I'd expect the thread to ask "why aren't you returning it if you're whining about X, Y and Z?"

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

the last page of posts in this thread posted:

Lmao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had to do a screen replacement (under warranty, thankfully, so all it cost me was time and a trip across town) on my Pixel 7 Pro and you'd better believe I was posting to vent about it/figure out exactly what was going on and whether it was fixable without professional help while I was trying to sort out just what to do That's kind of what threads like this are for, though I suppose being told "skill issue" to things like "the fingerprint sensor only works one time out of every five" is also part of the experience.

(I kid. Mostly.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

disaster pastor posted:

I think what's unclear is what you want to happen as a result of those posts. You're usually not talking in generalities, you're talking about specific issues where the fix is often going to be "get it replaced under warranty/under your protection plan, it sucks but the thread can't do anything for this issue."

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Sorry if I went overboard last night, but it was a pattern that just kept going on over and over again. It wasn't really digging when 95% of the posts follow that pattern. Issue pops up that's clearly the result of faulty or broken hardware and multiple people say "Hey, that's a hardware issue, start there" and the issue is brushed off as not bad enough to take action on until it's brought up again. At some point, if this really is all just happenstance, you have to cut your losses and just resign yourself to the fact that maybe this product line isn't for you.

I may have a lot of phones, but my SIM and main daily use pretty much stays in a Pixel for 90+% of the year. For example, my Pixel 6 Pro was pretty much the only phone I used for a whole year and the 7 Pro would have been that if it weren't for the Pixel Fold.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I wish that were true! My ex a couple years ago gave me poo poo for being Android, and I have a coworker now that gives me poo poo for being back on iOS

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I wish that were true! My ex a couple years ago gave me poo poo for being Android, and I have a coworker now that gives me poo poo for being back on iOS

I cannot conceive of actually, legitimately, giving a poo poo about whether someone else is using Android or iOS. It's fun to pick at the little things with the different platforms and their annoyances, but really it doesn't actually matter as long as they can make/receive calls and send/receive messages at all. People's brains are broken.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
People find themselves identifying with plenty of things and the type of phone they use is no exception. If you can, best not to cling to things that aren't you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao at this thread

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

ShoogaSlim posted:

wrong. interact with real people who care that their texts to you are green and videos send looking like they came from a moto razr. it's a real problem

have you considered telling those folks 'lol go eat sand' and letting their tribalism be their problem?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Someone made fun of the color of my text or something and I was immediately traumatised and it's a real problem!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Green hubble vs blue bubble is stupid (although some iPhone users take it very seriously), but the video quality issue is real and extremely annoying.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

disaster pastor posted:

I think what's unclear is what you want to happen as a result of those posts. You're usually not talking in generalities, you're talking about specific issues where the fix is often going to be "get it replaced under warranty/under your protection plan, it sucks but the thread can't do anything for this issue." It'd be one thing to say "X is happening and so I'm sending the phone back," but without the second part, it's going to sound like whining regardless of whether or not that's your intent.

Using myself as an example: I won't buy a Pixel again, flat out. I've bought three and have had too many issues; fool me four or more times, shame on me. My best friend only buys Pixels and she's also had to RMA one and replace another much sooner than intended. Is this just anecdotal bad luck? Yes! Absolutely it is. It's enough to put me off Pixels for good, but it's still just five bad phones across two people. If I'd come to the thread back then and said "have to return another Pixel because of X, Y and Z," then, yeah, I'd expect some commiseration; there's a problem, it sucks, and this is the only way to resolve it and it also sucks. If I'd instead come to the thread and said, "welp, look at X, Y and Z, looks like the Pixels are still garbage phones!" I'd expect the thread to ask "why aren't you returning it if you're whining about X, Y and Z?"

i may express frustration whether knowingly or not, but my intention is mostly just "hey fyi this is happening" i don't really expect anyone to have sympathy, that's not what i'm asking for. but it seems people take any critique as an attack so i get flooded with "you're doing it wrong" and it sucks.

i can admit, and am apologizing for my wrongdoing by ignoring/avoiding the good natured advice that does come my way. i will replace my phone.

UncleButts posted:

have you considered telling those folks 'lol go eat sand' and letting their tribalism be their problem?

yes, i do it all the time. on top of telling them why android is better (at things that matter to me). and yet here we are, living in the real world, where people care about their texting experience when in group chats or sending photos/videos. i text my one friend with an iphone and messages we send once routinely show up multiple times in a row for each other. it is a legitimate real problem.

thankfully iphone is adopting rcs? idk if that'll fix anything but i hope it does.

Alan_Shore posted:

Someone made fun of the color of my text or something and I was immediately traumatised and it's a real problem!

nobody said anything about being traumatized. relax. this is the kind of bad faith bs that i'm complaining about.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Sorry if I went overboard last night, but it was a pattern that just kept going on over and over again. It wasn't really digging when 95% of the posts follow that pattern. Issue pops up that's clearly the result of faulty or broken hardware and multiple people say "Hey, that's a hardware issue, start there" and the issue is brushed off as not bad enough to take action on until it's brought up again. At some point, if this really is all just happenstance, you have to cut your losses and just resign yourself to the fact that maybe this product line isn't for you.

I may have a lot of phones, but my SIM and main daily use pretty much stays in a Pixel for 90+% of the year. For example, my Pixel 6 Pro was pretty much the only phone I used for a whole year and the 7 Pro would have been that if it weren't for the Pixel Fold.

the apology goes a long way in making me not feel like an insane stupid idiot. i know i can be harsh and insufferable but i am genuinely just trying to engage in discussions about my phones. i appreciate the advice and your expertise in the field.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Have you tried fastballing it into a wall

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I strongly recommend iPhones to this particular poster

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I converted all my iPhone having people to Signal and it solves all the problems Apple has created.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
ShoogaSlim should have no problem returning his Pixel with all those receipts goddamn

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I mean, iMessage lock-in is a real thing and imo you're extremely lucky to find people willing to use a completely different messaging app to talk (usual caveat of this is a US-centric thing).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Real trick is to have your social group mostly Android so it doesn't matter.

My sister and her family are on iPhone and I have one friend on iPhone. Everyone else including my parents are on Android (and pretty much exclusively Pixel at that.)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My entire family, with the exception of my brother, are all on iOS exclusively, which means they all notice when I’m using an android phone. Thankfully, none of us give a poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only time I can even imagine caring is when my stepmum sends a video of the dogs and it gets compressed to a 3gp MMS file

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

kirbysuperstar posted:

The only time I can even imagine caring is when my stepmum sends a video of the dogs and it gets compressed to a 3gp MMS file

I was going to say, few people care until you can't participate in group chats and/or you end up using MMS. The good thing these days is that in the UK most people just use WhatsApp and the few Android users I know who don't are now pretty much all using RCS (though none realise the latter until I explain it to them).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I was going to say, few people care until you can't participate in group chats and/or you end up using MMS. The good thing these days is that in the UK most people just use WhatsApp and the few Android users I know who don't are now pretty much all using RCS (though none realise the latter until I explain it to them).

I'm basically allergic to group chats that aren't on like Discord or IRC, and I'm lucky enough I guess that most of my contacts are luddites enough that MMS quality images/videos don't register to them as a problem. If you never know it can be better, you'll never complain that it's bad!

Anyway I've been switching back and forth between my Xperia 1 V and an iPhone 15 Pro Max for nearly the last month and I can't decide if I want to stick with the iPhone for the conveniences or return to just using my Xperia because I like the camera, weird aspect ratio screen, and front firing speakers. I have until the 8th to return the iPhone. The most first world or first world problems.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Almost every single person I talk to is on WhatsApp. I can only think of 1 that I use RCS/text with. It's weird that this is all still an issue in the US. When I travel to a variety of places even businesses all use WhatsApp. Nothing is text anymore. iMessage isn't even a part of the equation.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

this happens frequently when sending or receiving texts from people with iphones. repeated texts multiple times. idk if it's bc of poor reception or a network issue of some kind or what. it's hilarious but also ridiculous. and i always frame it as a problem with their phone anyway. technically it is the iphone's fault bc apple refuses to play nice outside of their own standards.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Almost every single person I talk to is on WhatsApp. I can only think of 1 that I use RCS/text with. It's weird that this is all still an issue in the US. When I travel to a variety of places even businesses all use WhatsApp. Nothing is text anymore. iMessage isn't even a part of the equation.

i hear this all the time whenever the topic comes up. people in the US are very resistant to adding new apps to their phone for stuff they can just use the stock included app for. to be fair, apple has created a rock solid ecosystem for regular people to not need to use third party apps for basic poo poo like texting. imagine telling someone they needed to install skype to make video calls instead of them just using facetime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

this happens frequently when sending or receiving texts from people with iphones. repeated texts multiple times. idk if it's bc of poor reception or a network issue of some kind or what. it's hilarious but also ridiculous. and i always frame it as a problem with their phone anyway. technically it is the iphone's fault bc apple refuses to play nice outside of their own standards.

I've literally never had this happen to me or to anyone else I know. If it's happening with several other people it's more likely to be something on your end causing it. How old is your SIM card?