Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have some friends who look forward to the standard season because they expect rcq's to be a ghost town and see it as the best time to qualify. After doing some playtesting, I can say this format is the worst I have ever played. If you really want to qualify and value piles are your thing, enjoy your mirror matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Link? Do you need a pro subscription?

https://www.channelfireball.com/article/20-Interesting-MTG-Facts-and-Stats-from-2023/2499680d-ea2a-4bfd-9e07-feac37485949/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Judgy Fucker posted:

Are the boom-busts in card objects prior to circa '08 the old style Xth Editions that were mostly or totally reprints, I'm guessing?

I think it's because the release schedule was such that it was possible to get two big sets a year, and that gradual increase from 06-11 covers them getting experimental with blocks: lorwyn/shadowmoor, being two big two small, the innistrad and eldrazi blocks having two large sets in them (you'll notice 2012, is back to the old peak, and avr would have been the first of two big sets that year)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sickening posted:

I have some friends who look forward to the standard season because they expect rcq's to be a ghost town and see it as the best time to qualify. After doing some playtesting, I can say this format is the worst I have ever played. If you really want to qualify and value piles are your thing, enjoy your mirror matches.

Explorer/Pioneer feels pretty good right now, hoping they get some qualifier events on Arena using that format in the next few months. Been climbing the ladder with UR Phoenix since the season reset and having a blast doing so.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Explorer/Pioneer feels pretty good right now, hoping they get some qualifier events on Arena using that format in the next few months. Been climbing the ladder with UR Phoenix since the season reset and having a blast doing so.

The January Qualifier and Play In events are Explorer format.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sickening posted:

I wonder how cheap red and green standard cards are atm, since all the tier decks are some combination of W/U/B

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Judgy Fucker posted:

Are the boom-busts in card objects prior to circa '08 the old style Xth Editions that were mostly or totally reprints, I'm guessing?

Looks like it. Tenth edition was 2007, and then in 2009 with M10 (the year-based core sets were numbered like cars), they switched to yearly core sets, and that's exactly where the sawtooth pattern stops.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Judgy Fucker posted:

remember that this is a tracker of different card OBJECTS, not just how many cards were getting printed. this meant that things like core sets pulled double duty because they had black border and white border versions (foil and non-foil). this is also why 2007 has less of a bulge, since 10th edition was fully black bordered. also there are weird little random sets in these numbers spiking them sometimes. the big bumps in 2005 and 2011 for example are because of the salvat sets (which i'd never heard of until looking this up).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think the big thing there is that core sets used to be an every other year thing (to line up with the two-year Type 2 rotation), and that prior to Coldsnap (2006) they just only printed three sets in years that didn't get a core set release.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Silhouette posted:

I wonder how cheap red and green standard cards are atm, since all the tier decks are some combination of W/U/B

Wait until you see what Bloodthirsty Adversary costs.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Sickening posted:

Yeah the error there is thinking that any of the prices are driven by standard right now.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

:psyduck: I guess it must be a big commander card or something? I guess it apparently sees play in mono r, but it doesn't seem like Mono-r is tearing up the charts online or anything?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s (at least partially) driven by Standard. Competitive card availability is big problem right now.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 4, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When do murders happen

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

HootTheOwl posted:

When do murders happen

when you pay 1BB

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Archenteron posted:

when you pay 1BB

That's just one, I want a whole set of
Murder

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

February

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The spoilers I mean

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HootTheOwl posted:

The spoilers I mean

Story Episodes: January 8th – 18th
Debut and Previews Begin: January 16th

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

When do murders happen

I don't think people are or will ever be that concerned about availability of standard cards

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if WOTC wants more people paying attention to their youtube channels they need to definitely put more stuff up like this. this best of three between Jim Davis and CGB is exactly the sort of well-edited, entertaining content they need to upload imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHK4BcFLMgw&hd=1

just very good back-and-forth showing both players and their processes, reactions, etc, one of the best videos I think I've ever seen on the official channel.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sickening posted:

Hey it's me, I'm Standard players.

There's a big two-day event in my region this weekend, basically some LGS wants to reinvigorate the German scene and so they are hosting a (mini?) GP of sorts. Saturday's main event is a Standard RCQ (with big Modern / Pauper tournaments as side events), Sunday's is a Legacy ELM qualifier with Pioneer and Duel Commander (which is pretty big here for some reason) on the side. They're also doing a Command Zone and Draft pods. I really hope the thing takes off and there will be a big turnout, apparently the Legacy tournament is 100+ people already. I plan on spending plenty of money there to support the cause and I will be playing both Standard and Legacy main events with 5c Domain and Grixis Delver respectively (and even bought a playmat!)

Will report back re:Standard attendance and such.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol my secret lair x evil dead arrived in the mail with the bonus card horribly bent. lol evil dead secret lair isn’t on the product list when filing for compensation.

0/1 wizards

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Katana Gomai posted:

Hey it's me, I'm Standard players.

There's a big two-day event in my region this weekend, basically some LGS wants to reinvigorate the German scene and so they are hosting a (mini?) GP of sorts. Saturday's main event is a Standard RCQ (with big Modern / Pauper tournaments as side events), Sunday's is a Legacy ELM qualifier with Pioneer and Duel Commander (which is pretty big here for some reason) on the side. They're also doing a Command Zone and Draft pods. I really hope the thing takes off and there will be a big turnout, apparently the Legacy tournament is 100+ people already. I plan on spending plenty of money there to support the cause and I will be playing both Standard and Legacy main events with 5c Domain and Grixis Delver respectively (and even bought a playmat!)

Will report back re:Standard attendance and such.

Sounds sick, good luck

Katana Gomai posted:

Duel Commander (which is pretty big here for some reason) on the side.

Duel commander is super popular in France as well for some reason

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ilmucche posted:

Duel commander is super popular in France as well for some reason

Yeah I know. To be precise, the variant played around here is a format called "Archon", which the German community created in response to some unpopular bans (or unbans, I don't remember) by the French Duel Commander committee. It's really not my cup of tea but to each their own I guess. Not having to buy a playset of Volcanic Islands to play UR is a decent deal, I'll give 'em that. The inclusion of a Commander (or two) just breaks the game for me, which is why I stay away from this (as well as actual Commander).

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 4, 2024

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sickening posted:

I feel like value piles are basically unavoidable with long standard. Also I feel sheoldred should have been banned in place of invoke despair, aggro needs the help way more than the decks that despair is good against, who cares if the black decks will slam a 5 mana sorcery against each other. Like the UW soldiers deck on mtoggoldfish right now is actually just UW flash, 4x bad mana leak in the main deck is just that important.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

honestly the cards that annoy me the most (not saying they're the most powerful or anything) in standard right now are raffine and that boat. So many decks are minor variations on them, the bat, and the 4 mana flash pw.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sunfall and Farewell being in the same standard makes go wide strats pointless and creatures a huge gamble, but "pure" control decks don't have the tools to exist so imagine two boring esper midrange piles staring at each other for at least the next 8 months and that's basically current standard

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Story Episodes: January 8th – 18th
Debut and Previews Begin: January 16th

ty

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Domain is a horrible deck to have as 25% of the meta for Standard. Playing into it with anything that can’t counter Sunfall is miserable, and I cannot imagine how long the mirrors are. There are a ton of cool synergies and things you can do with 3 year rotation, but then there’s also Domain that makes all of it pointless imo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Sunfall and Farewell being in the same standard makes go wide strats pointless and creatures a huge gamble, but "pure" control decks don't have the tools to exist so imagine two boring esper midrange piles staring at each other for at least the next 8 months and that's basically current standard

There's Depopulate too!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Standard has 2 modes: Value piles, and insanely synergistic deck from a single set, like the Eldraine adventure deck, the poison deck, or like, Affinity in the olden days.

It would be cool if we could have a deck that is based on synergy between slightly weaker cards, spread out over several sets that gets stronger as standard gets bigger. The soldiers deck is kind of like that, but only because soldier is a popular type for cheap white creatures, and there's only 2 cards in the deck that mention "soldiers" and 1 generic synergy land in Cavern of Souls.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 4, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I think aggro is especially poo poo (despite its popularity) as the options to poo poo all over aggro are super abundant. Just the 3 mana wraths for example are some of the best to ever exist and there are many of them. The 1 and 2 mana removal are also really good.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

I think aggro is especially poo poo (despite its popularity) as the options to poo poo all over aggro are super abundant. Just the 3 mana wraths for example are some of the best to ever exist and there are many of them. The 1 and 2 mana removal are also really good.

This is why I stopped playing standard last summer. To me black felt too strong against any creature based deck, but mostly Aggro. I just want to be able to ham some games with rdw since my budget isn't always large enough for value pile decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elblanco posted:

This is why I stopped playing standard last summer. To me black felt too strong against any creature based deck, but mostly Aggro. I just want to be able to ham some games with rdw since my budget isn't always large enough for value pile decks.

Black, white, and red all have great options. So unless you are facing a u/b deck, your aggro deck is probably going to be the underdog even game 1.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

don't worry, the bo1 players never run into the 3-mana sweepers because you just can't play them unless you want to fold to everything that isn't fast aggro.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
The domain mirror is probably the most interesting matchup in Standard right now. Games are all about when and where you expend your threats and trying to gain advantage that way. You have to keep track of every Sunfall, Binding, Archangel, etc. It's a different way of playing Magic for sure. It's the only matchup I've been focused on for my RCQ on Saturday. It's also a loving slog and I'm slotting cards in the main because it's not uncommon for mirror wins to go 1-0-1.

It is sad seeing really cool synergistic decks like UW artifacts trying real hard and being nowhere near as efficient as the value piles. UW Mentor is the poo poo though - I don't care what anyone else says - and I am playing that on the 13th if I don't qualify this weekend.

It's cool that there are more cards in Standard, but something is off. There's not enough cards in the pool? The sets weren't aligned with this extended rotation in mind and maybe thats it? There is a semblance of rock-paper-scissors but again, it feels off and I can't place it. Also finding cards is hard as gently caress.

What I am trying to say is I'm both happy and real sad that my friend is out there jamming games of modern for the RC and I'm here playing standard for RCQs to Dallas for... more standard.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The solution, and you'all don't want to have this conversation, is to make "exile" meet the condition to trigger "dies"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

The domain mirror is probably the most interesting matchup in Standard right now. Games are all about when and where you expend your threats and trying to gain advantage that way. You have to keep track of every Sunfall, Binding, Archangel, etc. It's a different way of playing Magic for sure. It's the only matchup I've been focused on for my RCQ on Saturday. It's also a loving slog and I'm slotting cards in the main because it's not uncommon for mirror wins to go 1-0-1.

It is sad seeing really cool synergistic decks like UW artifacts trying real hard and being nowhere near as efficient as the value piles. UW Mentor is the poo poo though - I don't care what anyone else says - and I am playing that on the 13th if I don't qualify this weekend.

It's cool that there are more cards in Standard, but something is off. There's not enough cards in the pool? The sets weren't aligned with this extended rotation in mind and maybe thats it? There is a semblance of rock-paper-scissors but again, it feels off and I can't place it. Also finding cards is hard as gently caress.

What I am trying to say is I'm both happy and real sad that my friend is out there jamming games of modern for the RC and I'm here playing standard for RCQs to Dallas for... more standard.

I am glad you enjoy this matchup. I am not trying going to take away from your enjoyment of it. I know people who LOVE mirror matches.

I personally don't see this as anything new or interesting as it being just a midrange pile mirror that seems to be as old time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I had an order cancelled by TCG player and when I go to look at the message I notice it's not only an lgs it's the LGS I used to work at. And their inventory is still awful