Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The novelization fell into public domain by accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There’s a novelization of King Kong that went into the public domain, but that was a long time ago. I presume the Monsterverse version is based on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/SpaceHunter_M/status/1742357600388128854?t=pXYd9F8AVs-m6KTgsnC-VQ&s=19

This should be punishable by death.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxV8Bf8ND4

Reminds me of the MST3K translation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

The original story's in the PD and is why anything after it even exists

The funniest thing about this is that Universal sued the poo poo out of Nintendo, claiming that Donkey Kong violated the copyright of King Kong.

Nintendo's lawyers then found out that in the past, Universal had successfully argued in court that King Kong was already in the public domain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZIN8JpeKBc

That's a level of enthusiasm I haven't seen in a toy commercial for some time.

One of the related toy videos might be something of a spoiler 2014 Godzilla sheds his skin and 'evolves' into a more powerful form with pink dorsal spines

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like to imagine that Godzilla is merely playing himself in a suit motion Godzilla film.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Watched Godzilla vs. Megaguirus tonight, since I'd had better luck than I expected with Godzilla's Revenge.

Sadly, lowered expectations only count for so much. Godzilla's Revenge, is, at least, distinct from other Godzilla movies. Like it or hate it (and surprisingly, I didn't hate it), you won't see its like anywhere else. Godzilla vs. Megaguirius, by contrast, is the same as other Godzilla films. Just, you know. Crap.

If you've seen Godzilla, you've seen just about everything here done better. There's the protagonist driven by vengeance against Godzilla. There's the military organization right out of GI Joe, with seemingly infinite budget for ridiculous gizmos and no ability to get anything done. There's the monster that's even worse than Godzilla, so we know who to root for in the finale. There's the bickering leading into an ultra-shallow romance. All by the numbers, and all drawn out far past their carrying capacity. The closest thing to an exception is the hacking scenes, and the less said there the better.

The element I noticed most, though, and perhaps it's a sign of approaching the movie in the wrong spirit, or a case of the movie not doing enough for itself to matter, is how much humanity sucks in this movie. Not in the moral sense, to be clear. That's always been variable in Godzilla, with humanity's role in relation to the monsters in constant fluctuation. I mean in terms of success.

In Showa, humans killed Godzilla in the 50s, then managed a few major delays on the second Goji until he decided to bury the hatchet. By the 90s, Godzilla was contentedly living in a zoo with his kid, and humans had built a giant robot capable of defending the Earth. In the Heisei era, things were messier, but there was still Serizawa's sacrifice, and a win with the bacteria before time travelers mucked everything up, then a kill with Mechagodzilla before Rodan intervened, and finally Godzilla and humanity learned to live in mutual grudging tolerance until he died and the new Godzilla took up the role. Even in Godzilla 2000, there's still Serizawa in the backstory, and Godzilla's fight with Orga firmly establishes that the faction fighting to live with Godzilla, despite the damage he causes, is correct. After all, the aliens would have wiped out mankind without Godzilla's territorial pissiness.

Here, Godzilla was never killed, and he's basically got humanity by the shorthairs. He destroys a nuclear plant, they're banned. Humanity develops a new clean energy source, he wrecks that too and everyone gives up. It's not an ongoing war. It's people getting pissy on realizing that the giant lizard runs the show.

But that's not all. They also are entirely responsible for the problems in the film, which no-one confronts. Godzilla only attacks because people are developing the plasma energy in secret still, and the other monster only exists due to the dumbass black hole weapon (and an incredibly irresponsible child).

Godzilla is an icon, and by now that means he's kind of the default rooting interest. We're almost expected to like the people who endorse a peaceful resolution with him, and dislike the people who want him dead, unless the film (like Shin or Minus One) puts in the legwork for the alternate route. Here, though, we're both given one of the most reasonable Godzilla around (don't build a power plant he hates in Japan, he won't bother you), and humans who just want to murder Godzilla... but we're expected to be on the human's side as they accomplish nothing. (And as the female lead is just kind of an rear end in a top hat to a bunch of kids watching a magic show for no reason.)

So, yeah. Another one checked off, I suppose. And one of the worst firmly behind me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of the related toy videos might be something of a spoiler 2014 Godzilla sheds his skin and 'evolves' into a more powerful form with pink dorsal spines

Also, a further spoiler from toy leaks/BTS leaks Mothra returns in this film, but only because an original Kaiju they had in the same role tested badly with audiences so was replaced at the last moment. So there's toys of both depending on when the toy range went into production, and don't expect Mothra to be anything like Mothra except in looks. I don't think Wingard and I enjoy the same things from Godzilla.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, a further spoiler from toy leaks/BTS leaks Mothra returns in this film, but only because an original Kaiju they had in the same role tested badly with audiences so was replaced at the last moment. So there's toys of both depending on when the toy range went into production, and don't expect Mothra to be anything like Mothra except in looks. I don't think Wingard and I enjoy the same things from Godzilla.

A proud franchise tradition, subbing out some other less popular monster in the script for Mothra

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PriorMarcus posted:

A further spoiler, that original kaiju they've apparently cut from the film was first revealed in a Call Of Duty crossover event in 2022, lol. I guess they didn't have Disney's cross-promotional budget so they couldn't afford for their reveal to happen in Fortnite???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is JunkieXL doing the music for this one as well? Felt he really phoned it in for GVK with a score that sounded like a dollar store Ifukube knockoff which was doubly distracting after McCreary made the insanely good KOTM score.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Aw man those spoilers make the new movie sound pretty dire, but I generally like Monsterverse and American Godzilla and don't want it to die.

On the other hand the Monarch show is just not clicking with me, I keep watching it expecting some sort of break or turn and it just keeps being Mystery Show Prestige TV poo poo + a tiny taster of Big G + a tamped down Russel. It's apparently doing good though, it's constantly in the 1 - 3 slot of popular shows on Apple TV, so maybe I'm the outlier.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Having Mothra in your back pocket is like having a former franchise QB as your second stringer. Good problem to have. Gonna have to dig up that original one that got the boot.

Also I just started the good Gamera trilogy after only knowing about turtle boi from MST3K and godDAMN. Didn’t know the friend to all kennys ever brought the heat.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

weekly font posted:

Gonna have to dig up that original one that got the boot.

Watch it turn out to be Varan again somehow

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A further spoiler, that original kaiju they've apparently cut from the film was first revealed in a Call Of Duty crossover event in 2022, lol. I guess they didn't have Disney's cross-promotional budget so they couldn't afford for their reveal to happen in Fortnite???

Low-key kinda want a giant kaiju battle mode in Fortnite though, if only for the absolute goofy footage that'd come out it thanks to all the characters available to pick from

Goku, All Might, Master Chief, Joker, Bender, the TMNT, Jack Skellington and Chun-Li vs Godzilla Non-Descript Royalty-Free Giant Lizard Kaiju™ would be hilarious

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Aw man those spoilers make the new movie sound pretty dire, but I generally like Monsterverse and American Godzilla and don't want it to die.

On the other hand the Monarch show is just not clicking with me, I keep watching it expecting some sort of break or turn and it just keeps being Mystery Show Prestige TV poo poo + a tiny taster of Big G + a tamped down Russel. It's apparently doing good though, it's constantly in the 1 - 3 slot of popular shows on Apple TV, so maybe I'm the outlier.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I was hoping, based on the advertising, it would function as the tonal sequel to Godzilla (2014) we didn't get, but with the big plot being Kurt Russell trying to close the doorways to the Hollow Earth, it's feeling more like a prequel to the later movies, which I didn't enjoy as much. But those movies seem popular, so I guess people are into it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Watch it turn out to be Varan again somehow

It would be funnier if it was Bagan, finally.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. I was hoping, based on the advertising, it would function as the tonal sequel to Godzilla (2014) we didn't get, but with the big plot being Kurt Russell trying to close the doorways to the Hollow Earth, it's feeling more like a prequel to the later movies, which I didn't enjoy as much. But those movies seem popular, so I guess people are into it.

Absolutely. That's me too. I genuinely love G'14 (although I also enjoy the corny-rear end sequels) and that first episode with the Kaiju Evac Route and the huge missile launchers in Tokyo and the Golden Gate flashback had me primed up. Just the quiet existential dread of living in a world where Big Boi G might show up and crush a third of your city as collateral in a policing action. But the show has totally decentered that and leaned into endless shuttling the characters around to Important Talking Heads who explain that it's Way Too Big For Them, You See. Some variant of "come with me and I'll show you everything" every episode. The constant flashbacks, the obvious padding, it's like they had the Big Book of Bloated Prestige TV Stuff and they're running it step-by-step. Nice landscapes, though.

Also I've got 20 bucks bet with a friend that Keiko is still alive so if that happens, at least I'll have gotten some groceries out of this show.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

Monarch is still the closest to the Edwards film so far, and there’s enough good material that it would easily be the best of the chronological sequels - if it was edited down to a scrappy DTV movie from the absolutely unwarranted seven-hours runtime.

Also, yeah, the fuckin’ “magical portals to Wonderland” plot point has been a big miss from the very beginning.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vinylshadow posted:

Low-key kinda want a giant kaiju battle mode in Fortnite though, if only for the absolute goofy footage that'd come out it thanks to all the characters available to pick from

Goku, All Might, Master Chief, Joker, Bender, the TMNT, Jack Skellington and Chun-Li vs Godzilla Non-Descript Royalty-Free Giant Lizard Kaiju™ would be hilarious

The problem with Godzilla as a skin in Fortnite is that he's shaped so different. They would either need to give him an insanely huge hitbox, give him a normal hitbox that doesn't correspond to the skin at all, or do something where it's a more humanoid version of Godzilla. They faced the same problem with Peter Griffin, and there they settled on the third option. That's why we got buff Peter Griffin instead of regular Peter Griffin

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Splint Chesthair posted:

It would be funnier if it was Bagan, finally.

Godzilla vs Baghoul

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Monarch is still the closest to the Edwards film so far, and there’s enough good material that it would easily be the best of the chronological sequels - if it was edited down to a scrappy DTV movie from the absolutely unwarranted seven-hours runtime.

Also, yeah, the fuckin’ “magical portals to Wonderland” plot point has been a big miss from the very beginning.

I would love to hear what the good material is. I sincerely mean this, because nothing about this show is working for me outside of the G scenes. Turn me around on it.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

The only good thing I can say about Monarch is that the mole monster is a cool design. Of course it barely gets to do anything. All the monster scenes feel completely perfunctory. Whoa, 30 seconds of Godzilla's back!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that’s shimu the other antagonist they only got updated design wise

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The entire plot has been leaked on reddit by test screeners, you don't even need to go by toy leaks

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just watched (most of) Godzilla Singular Point.

I'm really enjoying it, although y'all weren't kidding about the physics jargon. It's actually really interesting to me, but I feel like I'm going to need to read a wiki article afterwards to really understand the details of the plot.

Also, I was totally not expecting the janky rear end Jet Jaguar going full Dynasty Warriors on the sea roach things, but I'm absolutely here for it lmao.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would love to hear what the good material is. I sincerely mean this, because nothing about this show is working for me outside of the G scenes. Turn me around on it.

I’m not exactly trying to ‘sell’ Monarch because I mean that the show, in its totality, is not great.

But, if you pared away all the bad parts - the meandering and repetition, the underwhelming/contradictory lore stuff - the Kurt Russell character is simply a good villain. Anna Sawai has also gradually become an interesting protagonist, as her motivation shifts from halfhearted protagonism and de rigueur PTSD stuff to ‘being pissed off at Kurt Russell’.

The other supporting characters are fine, if not for the inordinate amount of runtime devoted to them. It’s really drawing attention to just how napkin-thin they are. Really brutally paring things down to just Anna’s story, as she gradually figures out Russell’s plot, could provide a nice story. The brother and his ex-girlfriend certainly didn’t need like whole episodes devoted to them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vinylshadow posted:

A Fortnite Kaiju battle has happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuY_X5ALrak

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's the GTA5 Kaiju mod that lets you play as various Godzillas.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

all you had to do was eat the drat train, goji

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arrived! Realized I could get these 4K movies from Amazon Japan for around $40 each shipped so this was my Christmas present for myself. No subtitles but 4K Godzilla is worth it.

Edit watching G vs Hedorah now and its goddamned beautiful

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 5, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Speaking of 4K Godzilla...

Anyone else notice the problem with this? :(

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They must really love the American Godzilla design. I went to a Japanese chain restaurant the other night called Nikusai and Godzilla is all over it. They have a big statue of the guy wearing boxing gloves in the entrance and it's the Monsterverse version!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw some post on Reddit that imO summed it up. Monsterverse goji is like the ambassador Godzilla. He hits a wider audience and basically jump started the franchise again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Minus One Goji with the Legendary GatorBear head goes kinda hard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Let’s add shin’s tail to the mix. We’ll make the Ultimate Godzilla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Was there a prominent Torii at any point in the movie? I don't remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Was there a prominent Torii at any point in the movie? I don't remember that.

There was not.