Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Switching to power and transportation are the two big ones because those goods are purely local, but even the transition from iron to steel construction sometimes needs to be micro'd. Same with the PMs that use more tools or more coal etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Also I had the same issue with a new production method causing some factories to lose money while others thrive, the reason is because I was on traditionalism. That's not a problem you micro your way out of, you just shift your research to reducing MAPI so the increase in demand or new goods needed doesn't cost a ton of it isn't locally available

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Well it's also bizarre that this mechanic just gets eroded into nothingness when you have high enough MAPI.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

VostokProgram posted:

Switching to power and transportation are the two big ones because those goods are purely local, but even the transition from iron to steel construction sometimes needs to be micro'd. Same with the PMs that use more tools or more coal etc

That's only really true if you're not actually producing enough iron or tools or coal or whatever to feed the new production method.

And I like the option to be able to transition partially rather than entirely. It's pretty easy to handle, since the economic system is simple - just look at how much production surplus you have, and then look at how much your buildings consume per level, and switch over the appropriate number of building levels to consume that much.

VostokProgram posted:

Well it's also bizarre that this mechanic just gets eroded into nothingness when you have high enough MAPI.

It's because it's fun to have plenty of micromanagement early in a production game when you have few things to manage, but micromanagement becomes undesirable later in the game when you have a lot of things to manage.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm hardly a great player, but I find most of the time the most micro I need to do is to maybe jump a few input good buildings to the top of my build queue. Otherwise I can just change the production method and let the economic shock ride out without too much of a hit.

My biggest issues are with phones and motors. By the time radios and autos are available I find I've concentrated into one or two really high level factories in my heavily industrialized states. Since I can't partially switch I end up with a shortage of one or the other until I build up more factories somewhere else that can use the other production method.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Eiba posted:

I would like to know more about the particulars of your situation because my advice was based on this never having happened to me.

Russia, era 3 1880s, mostly agrarian but outproducing britain industrially, no territorial gains, 3500 construction and rising.

My economy was so demand capped that i was constantly making GBS threads out groceries/clothes/furniture to raise SoL as the only way to further increase my economic maximums since i wasn't able to enact cooperative economy yet.

I mean bluntly i consider this a far more basic failure and a button would be a bandaid.
But a button to make a building type use it's most profitable PMs wouldn't mean this kind of Infinite city sprawl esque micro hell.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I started playing for the first time in a while and there's a hiccup of about a second with each new day in 1836. Is slow speed a problem other people are facing or should I blame my laptop?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Nevermind, it was Anbeeld's AI that was to blame. Second time I've ruined a game by unwittingly using an out of date harmful mod.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I finally got a Krakow run going, some weird stuff happened which definitely impacted things, but I was able to become independent of Austria in the early 1860s without any GP support in a way which feels very repeatable, so I'm optimistic of being able to do this again even without any specific luck. I just abused migration from Austria to get stronger, researched all the tech required for skirmish infantry fairly quickly, and built up my own munitions and explosives industry, then made a 30 unit pure infantry army and declared independence without any other war goals. Fighting a purely defensive war, Austria wasn't able to break through my superior troops and they went to -100 war enthusiasm.

Bonus: I invited Garibaldi to use as a general and made him leader of the TUs and he ended up being the first president of independent Krakow which is probably one of the more amusing pieces of alt history I've seen the game produce.

The weirdest thing that happened is Silesia revolted as an independent Poland (which is why I went fully independent instead of just remaining an Austrian protectorate so I could get the union event) but then they hated me so I had to annex them anyway. It worked out OK because I joined Russia's CU and now I'm sucking out huge amounts of their pops, but I think being an Austrian protectorate at this point would be better, since none of the GPs like me at all, but if I was still under Austria they would probably help me out in my wars.

Thanks to Silesia I now had enough military strength to go back for a round 2 with Austria for Galicia (having now gone up to 100 units of 50/50 shrapnel artillery + skirmish infantry), but I'm now stuck having to fight Prussia before I can form Poland, which is a difficult situation diplomatically.

But yeah it's 1880 and I have the 5th strongest military in the world as a 3 state country (albeit I have like 12 million population)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 8, 2024

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Efficiency doesn’t matter until you can no longer increase production of the input good. Until then, any increase in input demand or output production is a net bonus to the economy.

How is this true? Goods being sold for over base price literally destroys money.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

CrypticTriptych posted:

How is this true? Goods being sold for over base price literally destroys money.

Higher prices stimulate production, even if it is an input good. Private investors will create more input good factories thanks to the increased productivity. You will eventually reach equilibrium and the entire economy benefits. As long as it doesn’t hit the productivity of the output good too much, it’s a net gain over time.

Selling over base price doesn’t destroy money—it only transfers it from the buyer to the seller.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vengarr posted:

Higher prices stimulate production, even if it is an input good. Private investors will create more input good factories thanks to the increased productivity. You will eventually reach equilibrium and the entire economy benefits. As long as it doesn’t hit the productivity of the output good too much, it’s a net gain over time.

Selling over base price doesn’t destroy money—it only transfers it from the buyer to the seller.

No, it does destroy money. If there is demand for 1500 units of grain in a market, and the supply is 1000 units, the price of grain will be 20 * (3/4 * 1500/1000 + 1/4) = 20 * (3/4*3/2 + 1/4) = 20 * (9/8 + 1/4) = 20 * (11/8) = 27.5. The buyers will buy 1500 units of grain, paying £41250. The sellers sell 1000 units of grain for £27500. A total of £13750 is sacrificed to the invisible hand of the free market to make up for the deficit of 500 grain.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

and conversely when the price is low it prints money

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Staltran posted:

No, it does destroy money. If there is demand for 1500 units of grain in a market, and the supply is 1000 units, the price of grain will be 20 * (3/4 * 1500/1000 + 1/4) = 20 * (3/4*3/2 + 1/4) = 20 * (9/8 + 1/4) = 20 * (11/8) = 27.5. The buyers will buy 1500 units of grain, paying £41250. The sellers sell 1000 units of grain for £27500. A total of £13750 is sacrificed to the invisible hand of the free market to make up for the deficit of 500 grain.
It's still worth it. Who cares about individual dollars? The economy runs and grows on levels of demand. What you have there is both a money black hole and an opportunity for growth.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
July 15th, 1882, The Bank of England has announced that Quantitative Easing is expected to continue into the next fiscal quarter. In other news...

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Eiba posted:

It's still worth it. Who cares about individual dollars? The economy runs and grows on levels of demand. What you have there is both a money black hole and an opportunity for growth.

Sure. But money is still destroyed (or created, when supply is higher than demand).

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

kudos to paradox to accurately simulating the illusory nature of money

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
In that scenario money is destroyed but a proportional amount of goods are created so most of the value the money represented remains in the economy. Tax waste is true money destruction as aiui it destroys collected taxes without creating any value

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Magissima posted:

In that scenario money is destroyed but a proportional amount of goods are created so most of the value the money represented remains in the economy. Tax waste is true money destruction as aiui it destroys collected taxes without creating any value

it has value because it still makes rich people poorer

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Staltran posted:

Okay, I didn't realize they got paid for supply instead of demand. That's...I dunno.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Vengarr posted:

Okay, I didn't realize they got paid for supply instead of demand. That's...I dunno.

A better representation of economies than a simple (Demand / Supply), the fact prices don't drop through the game is a major hole in almost any industrial revolution simulator.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone have tips for starting as a super low tech state? Specifically since I found out that Gaza (the African state, not the more topical one...) can form Zimbabwe I'd really like to give it a go.

The obvious strategy would seem to be investing everything you have into the military in order to take the Boer states ASAP, then use the gold to build up some more, conquer Portugese East Africa to solidify yourself a nice safe chunk of territory to colonise into, and from there you should be able to play fairly "normally" without any special considerations.

The problem is, your starting tech situation is so bad that you are missing out on really basic abilities like being able to discover / mine gold, army laws, enlistment edict, colonise etc and it's really hard to know what to prioritise. My guess would be something along the lines of military tech first, then prospecting and steelworking, and only then get colonisation, but I'd be interested to know if anyone's actually tried this or something similar before.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nah, you can't afford to run line infantry really. You need to concentrate on industry and social techs to get your economy ticking over.

Some weird problems show up at super low tech, like that you can't set lumber camps to use your (wooden) tools until you research steel tools which has nothing to do with steel.

Lumber is your friend here, more lumber less problems. Agriculture too. You desperately need as much money as you can get for as cheap of construction cost as you can manage.

Haven't done that specific low tech start. I have done Ethiopia several times tho and that one struggles mightily for mining.

If your lucky you can get a GP to force open your market. This has downsides but you desperately need the imports to build up efficiently.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

try to get into a market, try to build up your research as much as possible, try to overwhelm your expansion AIs with sheer numbers, pray

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

When I say mil tech I mean getting Mandatory Service as your first tech for the ability to get a shitload of conscripts and possibly to law change into National Militia, not going all the way to line infantry (which is going to be unbelievably slow). Beating Transvaal in a war gives you an amazing industrial base for free due to all the gold, coal and iron, so getting that war done is critically important and it's definitely going to be worth being behind in other tech. I'm not sure how viable it is to do irregulars vs. line infantry in this patch though, I'll do some testing later. I did a Zulu game a while ago and it really wasn't that hard to win the first war but that was several patches ago.

E: The entire basis of this strategy was taking advantage of being able to colonise malarial homeland states without needing quinine but apparently you still can't make colonies in severe malaria states even if they're your homelands, which feels like a bug to me, but either way this doesn't work how it needed to. Also, it is literally impossible to make a decent military due to serfdom so you have to go way further into the game before being able to take on even the tiny Boer states. Zulu still has a relatively easy time with a similar strat due to their large starting military, but they can't form Zimbabwe!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 11, 2024

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011
In my current Persia game Ive noticed that alot of the minor nations around me, including alot of the minor nations in Arabia for example, are building Arms and/or Artillery Factories, while sometimes not even having access to wood or iron.

Am I missing something here or is this another example of the AI not understanding how to play the game? Are they importing the basic resources and exporting the finished product? It doesnt seem like it, because these factories ususally sit there without employees, unproductive, unprofitable.

Are they making the calculation that Arms and Artillery are the most valuable good and therefore the most desireable? Seems like them slapping down some logging/fishing/farms would be better, even if theyre less profitable.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Traditionally, governments have made efforts to ensure that they have domestic production capacity of weapons just in case there is an ongoing war. Profitability is not a concern for them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Triple A posted:

Traditionally, governments have made efforts to ensure that they have domestic production capacity of weapons just in case there is an ongoing war. Profitability is not a concern for them.

This reminds me of where I think Vicky 3 kinda loses my interest compared to my capiatlists and their factroys.

The vast, vast majority of the gameplay is line going up. Most posts in this thread are about line, up, how? It lacks on the previous Vickies in flavour because while the big line was important, there was a lot of other stuff going on. Sometimes you throw the line into the garbage because those fuckers over there might look bigger on the map, or have more and cooler boats.

In V3 I feel like I spend far most of gameplay just doing my line or automating bullshit and watching the year tick. And the other big thing, the politics, feels equally bland. Playing well encourages me to simultaneously form luxury space communism and still be obsessed with the big line, forever and ever amen. Used to be you could do full Bozhe Tsarya Khrani or maximum pith helmet englander, or so on and it works. V3 I'm doing the same thing every time. Starting choice is recognized/not and what resources you have. I'm never Spain or China or Mexico. Just Player.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 12, 2024

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

V3 I'm doing the same thing every time.

It's not like V2 didn't have "correct" ways to play, invading the Boer states for gold was exactly as much of a no brainer in V2 as it is in V3, though it is disappointing that there still isn't anything preventing you from having an arbitrarily large colonial empire, regardless of how small or weak your home states might be.

In spite of all the places it still doesn't stand up as well as I'd like, V3 still gives more push back against the player than V2 did, though now it's mostly internal rather than external friction. But possibly if you enjoy RP-style runs V2 gives more interesting options, I don't really play in that way so I'm not qualified to comment. Only having to click my armies a few times in most wars is already such a relief that I wouldn't go back under any circumstances.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This discussion made me check out the Zulu, lol i thought tech bottomed out at where sokoto was but not even having factories is something else lmao

also paradox I am once again asking you for dynamic city names it keeps being noticeable

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 12, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I can understand not liking Vicky 3. I can understand preferring Vicky 2.

But I do not understand how most of these complaints are about things that are just as true in Vicky 2 as they are in 3.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I tried a Medina Kingdom run a while back, and it's definitely rough being super low tech. Nobody wanted to open my borders and I had no iron to build ships with. I snuggled up to some GPs, slowly built up what I could, eventually escaped Isolationism and joined a customs union for all the goodies to actually build some sort of invasion force, and took Zulu+Boer states. It's a real slow burn and the early game was all max speed waiting for constructions and tech to slowly finish, watching IGs for when a protectionist (or market liberal) ever appeared, and using them to do anything but isolationism. Then I used Austria's guns+ships to throw together an army for the usual easy targets so I'd have the resources + cash to try and expand faster than a snail's pace.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Hellioning posted:

I can understand not liking Vicky 3. I can understand preferring Vicky 2.

But I do not understand how most of these complaints are about things that are just as true in Vicky 2 as they are in 3.

nostalgia glasses are insanely powerful. i remember how victoria 2's primary complaint throughout its entire lifespan was lacking any flavor

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Current Bavaria run is fun. I absolutely save scummed to all hell to avoid wars where Prussia would stop me from eating the other german minors, though. Did manage to get to the point where the brother's war happened, I joined Austria, and then literally every other Great Power except France joined in on one side or another to end up in a stalemate, which is fine by me, because Prussia defaulted and went bankrupt. Round two should be a lot easier, then.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So, there seems to be more stuff buried under hood for real - personally it feels that the interface got worse from release. Things like local prices have added more information, which is understandable: took me a long while to realize why prices were much higher even though I was churning iron pretty quick from conquests as Punjab. Turns out that integrating affects directly the MAPI indicator, which can make for a huge difference depending where you are in the world and how much production is possible - if going from zero, it can be very sensible. Another example: when I get the socialist event, sometimes I have the option "the world will be free one day" (that gives a boost to the spectre haunting the world event), but most of the time, I just get "a storm approaches". There's no information why it appears or not (not any that I could find)

It's similar to the situation where you get more options from other journal events (like if you have an university with high enough level and switch to dialectics you can choose a boost for socialism research), which is stuff that imho could be better signalized for the player: "hey if you do this you can pick this bonus if you want", etc

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://pdxint.at/48PSIWE

Having emerged from their caves bleary eyed and hungover the swedes have promised more spreadsheets in the spreadsheet game

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

wiz knows us too well

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh hell yeah

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Spreadsheets of Influence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop