Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Season 12 Episode 4: Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror
Written by Nina Metivier, Directed by Nida Manzoor

I'm really bad at remembering the names of characters and alien species and I actually didn't realize until now that the aliens from this episode weren't the same ones as from The Runaway Bride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gatwa's charisma carries the episode, but yeah it's largely Christmas faff.

Ruby comes off thick as a brick at the end, but I'm chalking that up to terrible writing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why isn't it May yet

:negative:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Ruby comes off thick as a brick at the end, but I'm chalking that up to terrible writing.

Unfortunately they're doing a Beatles episode not a Jethro Tull one.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Got to Last Christmas and I love it. I think it works because it starts out full goofy but then teases out darker ideas like the brain crabs, whereas stories like Kill the Moon or In the Forest of the Night start out with superfluously serious stories which just disintegrate into silliness.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Last Christmas is one of my favourite episodes, but also one of the ones I'm hesitant to let my 7 year old watch because the idea that "nobody ever knows they're not dreaming" would absolutely cause an existential crisis, which would take more than Santa Claus to resolve.

Also:

"No, no, line in the sand. Santa Claus does not do the scientific explanation."

"All right. As the Doctor might say, oooh it's all about dreamy weamy"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Nick Frost was an inspired piece of casting

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

re: The Last Day/BF chat

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah like I'm one episode in it's okay so far. They're basically doing Infinity War, as far as I can tell, which is fair enough. But they're also trying to stitch together the work of a bunch of different recording sessions and unfortunately BF have sent their worst director and sound guy to solve the problem.

There's cool stuff, like some of the structural cleverness in the first episode -- I'm a fan of how the first episode basically explains exactly what's going on without anyone actually being told anything -- but, on the other hand, I'm also pretty sure Bonnie Langford has no idea what's going on either.

It's the kind of story where you actually need a director who's got a strong handle on the material because the plot relies on a bunch of references to other stories, it's being relayed to us via implication, it's jumping around all over the place, it's being recorded without actors being anywhere near each other (seven recording sessions for something that would normally take three)... and Samuel Clemens is just not up to that IMO. So, you end up with a reliable actor like Langford actively struggling to track her character's emotional state from scene to scene. Feels like a bit of a mixed bag.

Good lord, you weren't kidding about it needing a stronger hand. This is a very confusing story. I am happy to hear the returning characters, of the ones I recognize. I haven't listened to Black and White since it came out, and definitely did not remember that returning character as an example. And I have no clue who the woman that The Doctor talks to in his "Prison/Zoo". None of the cast list character names ring a bell.

It's got the same level of confusion that Once and Future had. I can feel parts of a really clever story, but it's muddled in a bunch of poor plotting and storytelling.

I'm 4 parts in and all I've gotten so far is We're doing Time Lord Victorious with the 7th Doctor I guess? And Ace somehow. I should probably not listen to this one passively, that was a mistake.

edit: Okay, finished part 1 and they overreached badly. Listening to the interviews did help me with some more context, so glad for that. But not much.

McGann fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 3, 2024

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Watching some of the Jodie Whitaker eps, I forgot there are some actually good gags in them:

Fugitive Of The Judoon posted:

DOCTOR: Give me ten Earth minutes and we can have this resolved for you.
JUDOON: Five minutes.
DOCTOR: Nine.
JUDOON: Four.
DOCTOR: Er, fine. I'll take five.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

re: The Last Day/BF chat

Good lord, you weren't kidding about it needing a stronger hand. This is a very confusing story. I am happy to hear the returning characters, of the ones I recognize. I haven't listened to Black and White since it came out, and definitely did not remember that returning character as an example. And I have no clue who the woman that The Doctor talks to in his "Prison/Zoo". None of the cast list character names ring a bell.

She's the same species as the aliens from The Quantum Possibility Engine, though it doesn't really matter. It's not even a cameo really, it's just a reference, like the Macra in New Earth.

Also I'm not willing to put money on this but I suspect they edited in the temp track during Vienna's scene, and not Chase Masterson's pickups. Or Masterson's completely changed her voice since she turned up in Lower Decks three months ago.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's the same species as the aliens from The Quantum Possibility Engine, though it doesn't really matter. It's not even a cameo really, it's just a reference, like the Macra in New Earth.
Yeah, what's the deal with that one? Really comes across like in a first draft it was a "Macra cause car reliance to generate that tasty air pollution they love" story, but then it pivoted so the conclusion focused more on story arc hints/Face of Boe stuff, but the Macra-based stuff sort of stuck around in the revision process anyway.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Infinitum posted:

Gatwa's charisma carries the episode, but yeah it's largely Christmas faff.

I finally got around to watching this today as iplayer has been broken for whatever reason on my TV and I have to largely agree about it being largely Christmas faff, which to be fair isn’t out of the ordinary when it comes to Christmas specials.

I don’t think it helped that Wild Blue Yonder and The Giggle set the bar really high.

Ncuti Gatwa oozes charm though and I’m looking forward to seeing more of his adventures.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I'm gonna come out and say that the Sea Devils spin-off is a red herring. It's like when Doctor Who S1 was codenamed Torchwood while in development: it's a DW spin-off but it's not about the Sea Devils.

Yes, this is Eighth Doctor Season cope.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Or it's a season from the Silurian's POV, so each week they try to take over the Earth, and each week a different Doctor shows up and stops them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Yes, this is Eighth Doctor Season cope.

Wolfechu posted:

Or it's a season from the Silurian's POV, so each week they try to take over the Earth, and each week a different Doctor shows up and stops them.

Can we have both of these ideas?

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Actually betting it's the rumoured and heavily hinted at UNIT spin off

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry the Sprout posted:

It's this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Barry the Sprout posted:

Martha better be in it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is the unit spin off going to be as tonally messed up and cheap as Torchwood s1/2?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry the Sprout posted:

:yeah:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Martha better be in it.

Mickey can easily have been killed off screen.

I will say, having just rewatched RTD era 1, I don’t think the Martha/Mickey pairing is that bad in hindsight. I remember most of the criticism was that they were written to got together because they were both black but I don’t think that holds up. I wasn’t keeping notes, but the only black couple I can even think of the entire era were Martha’s parents. Just about every couple in the show was interracial. In addition, they both had the weird trauma of having been spurned by The Doctor and Rose.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mickey can easily have been killed off screen.

I will say, having just rewatched RTD era 1, I don’t think the Martha/Mickey pairing is that bad in hindsight. I remember most of the criticism was that they were written to got together because they were both black but I don’t think that holds up. I wasn’t keeping notes, but the only black couple I can even think of the entire era were Martha’s parents. Just about every couple in the show was interracial. In addition, they both had the weird trauma of having been spurned by The Doctor and Rose.

I think the bigger problem is that they barely interacted, and Martha already had a partner she seemed entirely happy with. It's a pointless tweak which seems to do nothing except give Mickey a consolation prize partner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah last we saw her before that Martha was engaged to the hottie who plays Lucifer in Lucifer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Barely? I don't think they'd interacted at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Regardless, based on the trajectories of their jobs and their shared histories with The Doctor, Rose, it’s easy to fill in the blanks when you see their coda.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If it's so easy then why didn't RTD do it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dabir posted:

If it's so easy then why didn't RTD do it

Listen, did you want more Doctor and Wilf screen time or not?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mickey totally died on the way back to his home planet.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rose points to a weird puddle when she returns to the main universe and says "Guess that's Mickey. That's too bad" and they move on, sometime in the 17th Doctor's run.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If a UNIT show exists to bring back old companions for cameos I'm all for it.

But yea Noel Clarke in the bin

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
they literally did that in the first episode of the reboot and it still didn't stop him

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mickey regenerated.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

Mickey regenerated.

Mickey is now played by a new actor every time he appears, no one comments on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The War Mickey.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mickey and Jack Harkness fuse together to form The Face Of No

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Infinitum posted:

If a UNIT show exists to bring back old companions for cameos I'm all for it.

But yea Noel Clarke in the bin

Ah, yes, the Doctor Who equivalent of the one Star Trek show everyone wants Paramount to make.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Until they did it and it was the worst thing ever made

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Infinitum posted:

Mickey and Jack Harkness fuse together to form The Face Of No

This deserves so much attention, lmao

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Voiceover: "In this episode, the role of Mickey Smith will be played by John Boyega"

Doctor: "Well someone's had a glow up since I last saw him!"

*studio audience laughs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Ah, yes, the Doctor Who equivalent of the one Star Trek show everyone wants Paramount to make.

I'm still hoping the section 31 show doesn't happen and don't know anyone wanting it to be made lol.

Never made it far in Torchwood and prefer UNIT in general except in smaller doses. I suppose with the new tiny seasons though I'll be itching for more Who and will watch.