Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Every crono I hit our techies would suicide into it instead of just throwing bombs 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

human of smells
Aug 25, 2023
void is the only hero that playing regularly sent me to low priority. i really recommend against it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can't Chrono your whole team if you never Chrono

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Sab669 posted:

The threat of chrono also works on your own team.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
I went from ~10500 communication score to ~9k about 3 weeks ago due to an abandon. In 3 weeks, i've regained 60 points of that. A week of 0 reports is worth 30 positive communication points.

My takeaway is that an abandon probably shouldn't tank half a years (?!?) worth of communication points from an account, the system is incredibly punishing and doesn't seem to let you regain lost points. Let me ping tangos again damnit

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Oodles posted:

The threat of chrono also works on your own team.

Had a very fun match tonight where the opposing Void chrono'd half his team and our CM just stood outside it and killed them all.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I dropped 1000 comscore from a few "should not have engaged" arguments with teammates in the weeks before christmas but just gained 500 in the last 15 games, I'm pretty sure it's to do with not only your behaviour but also whether you're frivilously reporting people, something I'm sure the mouthbreathing reddit posters who say "I didn't say a word for 15 games (because I was muted) and my com score didn't go up!" can't get their heads around

If you see slurs and swearing then that's a slam dunk report but don't report your slark for feeding when he dives their fountain with aegis like an idiot, because that's going to count against you when it isn't upheld by overwatch

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 4, 2024

Krut Etarieht
Mar 7, 2015
fountain diving when there is a clear objective which then causes you to lose that objective/ the game is 100% griefing

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Krut Etarieht posted:

fountain diving when there is a clear objective which then causes you to lose that objective/ the game is 100% griefing

no it's terrible play, and while I'd love to live in a world where terrible play was bannable, if it was then you me and the rest of the world would be VAC banned.

griefing is intentionally causing your team to be at a disadvantage with that being the goal, the carry farming instead of teamfighting is not griefing, support zeus going phylactry first is not griefing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Being greedy/cocky and having fun isn't inherently griefing, actually

Krut Etarieht
Mar 7, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Being greedy/cocky and having fun isn't inherently griefing, actually

it's sport not fun

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

it's a video game

Krut Etarieht
Mar 7, 2015

NtotheTC posted:

no it's terrible play, and while I'd love to live in a world where terrible play was bannable, if it was then you me and the rest of the world would be VAC banned.

griefing is intentionally causing your team to be at a disadvantage with that being the goal, the carry farming instead of teamfighting is not griefing, support zeus going phylactry first is not griefing
yes, there is some nuance as to exactly what constitutes griefing.

My friend lost a game where the alchemist dove fountain rather than hit the throne twice. Pretty much was the scenario of Press 1 to win and he did not = griefing. Someone deciding a different strategy like "oh I need one more item before I join in" is obviously open to interpretation, but again a 12k mmr player could say, yes that was griefing. It depends on how much insight you have into the game. It's too chaotic to analyse broader scenarios, but I'd be happy/ confident to conclude that a slark diving fountain with aegis rather than taking two sets of rax is basically a grief. It's pretty open and shut.

Sab669 posted:

it's a video game
u crazy

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

When my team mates do it? Griefing. When I do it? It's just having fun

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Mmr is just a number

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Krut Etarieht posted:

My friend lost a game where the alchemist dove fountain rather than hit the throne twice. Pretty much was the scenario of Press 1 to win and he did not = griefing. Someone deciding a different strategy like "oh I need one more item before I join in" is obviously open to interpretation, but again a 12k mmr player could say, yes that was griefing. It depends on how much insight you have into the game. It's too chaotic to analyse broader scenarios, but I'd be happy/ confident to conclude that a slark diving fountain with aegis rather than taking two sets of rax is basically a grief. It's pretty open and shut.

griefing is people intentionally loving up your game, getting a massive lead then doing something dumb because they saw a pro do it once isn't that. not everything that gives you the feel bads is targeted, sorry about your main character syndrome

Krut Etarieht
Mar 7, 2015
w/e

In its purest form Dota is a game of pressing your advantage. There is usually a strategically optimal thing to do at almost any given point in the game, and the higher your mmr, the more likely you are to just execute this like a stone cold killer rather than be seduced by some weird shenanigans (fountain dive at the expense of ending (note fountain diving and pulling it off is fine)/ going to farm jungle rather than grouping to push or take rosh etc.)

Of course played at the highest level you will slap your dick all over the opponent and fountain dive them in TI finals, but we can't all be Topson

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Krut Etarieht posted:

w/e

In its purest form Dota is a game of pressing your advantage. There is usually a strategically optimal thing to do at almost any given point in the game, and the higher your mmr, the more likely you are to just execute this like a stone cold killer rather than be seduced by some weird shenanigans (fountain dive at the expense of ending (note fountain diving and pulling it off is fine)/ going to farm jungle rather than grouping to push or take rosh etc.)

Of course played at the highest level you will slap your dick all over the opponent and fountain dive them in TI finals, but we can't all be Topson

So doing the wrong thing and getting away with it isn't griefing, but doing the wrong thing but not getting away with it is griefing? Yikes

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

flashman posted:

When my team mates do it? Griefing. When I do it? It's just having fun

Krut Etarieht
Mar 7, 2015

Sab669 posted:

So doing the wrong thing and getting away with it isn't griefing, but doing the wrong thing but not getting away with it is griefing? Yikes

Clearly if you can pull it off, it's not the wrong thing?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
The closest thing I can thing of that's on the line of griefing / playing bad is ignoring a teammate and intentionally letting them die. I get there are situations where you need to just cut your losses but some times mfs will definitely just let their lanemate die 2v1 because they're upset with them and want them to appear that they're doing poorly.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Krut Etarieht posted:

In its purest form Dota is a game of pressing your advantage.

Actually dota in its purest form is when your whole team spams the same all chat voice line after a funny team fight

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

causticBeet posted:

Actually dota in its purest form is when your whole team spams the same all chat voice line after a funny team fight

Muting the audio chat effects has been greatly beneficial towards my enjoyment of the game. If anyone is interested this mute mod works great. Just needs to be manually updated every once in a while:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2705077810

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

scott zoloft posted:

The closest thing I can thing of that's on the line of griefing / playing bad is ignoring a teammate and intentionally letting them die. I get there are situations where you need to just cut your losses but some times mfs will definitely just let their lanemate die 2v1 because they're upset with them and want them to appear that they're doing poorly.

I had a Blademail First LC get very mad at me (Rotund Jerry) for not fighting 2v5 into Sniper + Viper after 2 of our teammates tied while they were TPing in :downs:

Krut Etarieht
Mar 7, 2015
ok enough foreplay let's get a goon game going

i want to make a bloodstone on disruptor

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I'm down in the evening US eastern. My voice chat is disabled though >: )

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm NOT muted but for some reason no one can hear me talk in game. Anyone have a guess what might be up? The Current Mic Device in that last screenshot is correct, headset works perfectly fine on Teams every single day for work and Discord :shrug:

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I'm NOT muted but for some reason no one can hear me talk in game. Anyone have a guess what might be up? The Current Mic Device in that last screenshot is correct, headset works perfectly fine on Teams every single day for work and Discord :shrug:

Might be "push to talk" in steam interfering with "push to talk" in dota. Try setting steam to open mic.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, hmmm, that might be it. When I hit m4 I would see the muted speech bubble pop up in game, but now it's the normal white speech bubble. Only tried in a Demo lobby but maybe I'll get a game in tonight.

I haven't played in 5 days :ohdear: I'm gonna be super rusty.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Been having a lot of fun picking Doom 4 this patch and making dazzle/vengeful spirit pickers not have fun in their games. Getting a cheap tanky item, blink, and an aura item is usually enough to stomp most fights. Its also pretty easy to end up around haste ms with phase and the movement speed creep aura so you can run people down or run away from them pretty easily. He also has a baller guitar cosmetic to showcase how much more metal you are than your opponents.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spiking posted:

Might be "push to talk" in steam interfering with "push to talk" in dota. Try setting steam to open mic.

Yep, it was that 🤦‍♂️

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dk mid is pretty nice to play. We had a silencer 1 and a tide offlane so it seemed like I needed some beef you know and what a dude to play in lane

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

DK players scare me. When he was played as a Pos1 a few patches ago I came across a DK/Io lanes a few times and its terrifying because you know they both must have a pathalogical resistance to boredom. People willing to play that lane are capable of ANYTHING

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

He's invincible bro lol

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
DK's great because he's just often massive enough on his own stats and talents that even if I don't itemize correctly for the given game I can often just brute force my way through fights anyways. Breathe Fire applying the elder dragon debuff is such a fun little buff, too.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sab669 posted:

back in wc3 / hon / early dota2 era it was standard to buy a kelens on void for perfectly placed chronos. no idea why this fell out of fashion. still superior imo even with his extended innate pseudoblink.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Geight posted:

DK's great because he's just often massive enough on his own stats and talents that even if I don't itemize correctly for the given game I can often just brute force my way through fights anyways. Breathe Fire applying the elder dragon debuff is such a fun little buff, too.

his little spank autoattack animation is choice and very easy to lh w/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Buy a what-ens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

Buy a what-ens?

Blink dagger from old dotes. The poster just wanted you to know how OG he is.