Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Saltburn was terrible. Three or four of the goofiest sex scenes of all time and for a denouement of "no poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's no Star Trek supermen or psychics, just people with slightly less chronic health issues maybe.

If that were the case it would make the endevour all the more noble and something to dive headlong into. Because It's eliminate the most pressing risks and problems, leaving behind pretty much just practical considerations and the issue of fairness (and the sub-issues of that like how society would change when the wealthy would live past 100 consistantly without predisposition to physical or mental health problems the poor are still subject to).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The Peccadillo posted:

Saltburn was terrible. Three or four of the goofiest sex scenes of all time and for a denouement of "no poo poo"

I don't treat the ending as the main twist. That would be the bait & switch from the trailer (as well how things typically go in these stories and as well as casting Nate Jacobs from Euphoria).

Even then as I've mentioned before the movie sets up a big "We told you so" right from the beginning. Which might actually be the coolest thing about the film.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW9ddPWmmQ0

Speaking of Gattaca, did you know that it was supposed to prominently feature the constructed language Esperanto? When Ethan first enters Gattaca, the loudspeaker announcements are in both Esperanto and English because it's the future, so Esperanto has successfully become the international world language. However, it's barely audible in the final movie.

There was supposed to be an entire background subplot with Esperanto announcements that would tell a little story, but it all ended up either getting cut or being completely inaudible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRJF2EhWtz0

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Saltburn ending is so on-the-nose that kinda spoils the enjoyment of the previous two hours. Leave some ambiguity!

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of good jokes I made that no one responded to, in the Gundam thread people were talking about Gundam Seed and the practical differences between Naturals and Coordinators, how Coordinators had an easier time at anything they turned their hand to but still needed to work hard and practice to get really good at something and there was still space for Naturals to be better than them like Mu La Flaga being a Natural and still one of the best pilots in the setting, and I sad that a Natural could beat a Coordinator as long as they never saved anything for the swim back.

And it got nothing! Not even a single lol. That was crushing.

Great stuff, please never stop.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

josh04 posted:

Leave some ambiguity!

I actually hadn't even thought of the alternatives. But I think you could even keep the naked dance through the mansion and it would still have worked. It'd still be heavily implied that he was responsible whether by straight up murder and poisoning or just being a sinister influence or more metaphorical as the death of the old elite to be replaced by something possibly even worse; or that he didn't have anything to do with the death so much as he had a sick obsession with one and was using/didn't care about anybody else. It wouldn't be subtle. But at least people would debate what really happened.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Shame on me perhaps but I didn’t see the twist coming with the bicycle at the beginning. However the rest of the reveals were super-obvious, so tonally it was an odd mix of “aha!” and “yes, I know.”

I still thought the movie was a lot of fun even if it does fall to pieces at that point. Keoghan is great in it as ever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are so many Ripley films and they are all better. We need fennel out of Hollywood yesterday

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yes but Fennel couldn't show off how clever she was if she didn't have the flashbacks hammering you over the head: "bet you thought Felix OD'd but actually he was poisoned by Oliver!"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I know the twitter meme is that Fennell is super conceited or whatever (a conceited film director, mais non) but it reads the opposite to me. Like a crisis of confidence in the audience's ability to follow along, and let subsequent events inform previous ones. The whole life support scene is totally lifeless compared to the rest of the film, if it was a Marvel movie. I'd be pointing at the screen and yelling 'reshoot'.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of good jokes I made that no one responded to, in the Gundam thread people were talking about Gundam Seed and the practical differences between Naturals and Coordinators, how Coordinators had an easier time at anything they turned their hand to but still needed to work hard and practice to get really good at something and there was still space for Naturals to be better than them like Mu La Flaga being a Natural and still one of the best pilots in the setting, and I sad that a Natural could beat a Coordinator as long as they never saved anything for the swim back.

And it got nothing! Not even a single lol. That was crushing.

This has got to be a schtick now, right?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The meme if anything is that she's an out-of-touch posho. She's undeniably of evil landlord stock and her work provides plenty of ammo for the rest

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

josh04 posted:

I know the twitter meme is that Fennell is super conceited or whatever (a conceited film director, mais non) but it reads the opposite to me. Like a crisis of confidence in the audience's ability to follow along, and let subsequent events inform previous ones. The whole life support scene is totally lifeless compared to the rest of the film, if it was a Marvel movie. I'd be pointing at the screen and yelling 'reshoot'.

I don't think the two are conflicted. fennel thinks her material is better than it actually is and she doesn't believe that audiences can appreciate her "brilliance".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Just seems an unusual amount of emphasis on personal failings of the director vs qualities of the film itself. I don't see why I should care how brilliant she thinks herself or otherwise. It's the director's job to think their own movie is good and worth releasing. Even when people say "Oh Nolan can't mix sound" that's a complaint about an aspect of the film at heart.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The meme if anything is that she's an out-of-touch posho. She's undeniably of evil landlord stock and her work provides plenty of ammo for the rest

To the wall with her, sure, but that's not really to do with the movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

To the wall with her, sure, but that's not really to do with the movie.

I'll have to wait until I actually see the movie to have this opinion, but I strongly suspect it is

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

josh04 posted:

Even when people say "Oh Nolan can't mix sound" that's a complaint about an aspect of the film at heart.

I am a huge fan of his sound design and think he should lean into it a bit more even.

I say this not just because he's my favourite director. Even though he is. (Note: I'm not saying he's the best director ever; just that he's my favourite although yes the main reason is that he's consistantly excellent.)

I say this because it's super fun struggling to make out what Bane is saying, having music blast over characters talking, and nearly jumping out of your seat for supressed gunfire.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn’t call struggling to make out dialog fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bane's voice is one of the greatest gifts cinema has ever given us, but I'm giving that w to Hardy not to Nolan.

It's funny seeing people talk about Clockwatchers like it's Office Space when it's really Schrader's Blue Collar for white collar women.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Gaius Marius posted:

Bane's voice is one of the greatest gifts cinema has ever given us, but I'm giving that w to Hardy not to Nolan.

Hardy’s vocal track should be isolated from the rest of the film and placed in the Library of Congress imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hardy is incapable of doing a bad voice

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's weird how good he was at being a hick POS in Revenant

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

it's weird how good he was at being a hick POS in Revenant

It's fun watching him be a jerk in Taboo. Specifically, he's a huge dick to Anthony Serkis's barely, baaarely teenaged son. Who in the show doesn't know it but is Hardy's own son (which Hardy is aware of). Instead of showing fatherly affection when he finds out he keeps on making the kid do menial, dangerous tasks and risk his life just as he did before.

He's not an outright POS though. He's the protagonist. The POS would be Jonathan Pryce aka Cardinal Wolsey from Wolf Hall (or High Sparrow from GoT if you're less cultured).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Hardy is incapable of doing a bad voice

For Venom he invented a regional blue collar accent from a region that doesn’t exist, it’s so good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Steven Yeun backing out of the Marvels Thunderbolts movie.
Says scheduling issues, but probably looked at the script more and decided it was gonna be hot garbage and made up an excuse

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hardy is the last true artist in hollywood

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

josh04 posted:

Gotta awkwardly jump in here with my video on similar themes, 'The Fanatic'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbRQ6MOQWM

but beyond that I'd just say that most of these are versions of the classical tragedy, where someone's unshakeable qualities lead them to great heights of personal heroism but also necessarily lead to their downfall. Ford v Ferrari ends with a car crash.

Pausing the video at this point to note that I do not find it a dreary waste of time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bright Bart posted:

The POS would be Jonathan Pryce aka Elliot Carver from Tomorrow Never Dies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GateOfD posted:

Steven Yeun backing out of the Marvels Thunderbolts movie.
Says scheduling issues, but probably looked at the script more and decided it was gonna be hot garbage and made up an excuse

How, haven't they finished filming by now?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh geez, Saltburn was by the person that wrote the book for Lloyd Weber's huge flop Bad Cinderella. That's fun.

Really like the font they're using in the trailer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maybe he should've tried writing Good Cinderella

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

null_pointer posted:

I'm not talking "the psychopath who occasionally tells a joke" like Michael Mando in Far Cry or Ledger's Joker, but someone normally gregarious, who occasionally lets the mask slip.

Robert DeNiro in The King of Comedy

Patricia Arquette in After Hours (most of the characters in After Hours, actually)

Not funny or gregarious per se, but in Glengarry Glen Ross Al Pacino shows what's really underneath his chill, low pressure salesman demeanor.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

One more thing about Saltburn:

What's with the throwaway line implying incest? Also, she's the older sister and by a few years yeah? She seems quasi-pained by it but absolutely without going into the technicalities of this unless he was pure muscle even as a kid and forced her, she'd have been the predator if she was of an age you can legitimately call anyone that.

I'm guessing it's a reference to incest as a sub-sub-plot in Gothic literature? Or is she toying with him?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 4, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Data Graham posted:

Pausing the video at this point to note that I do not find it a dreary waste of time

Hah, thanks for watching!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Saltburn is an OK-to-good movie with a great-to-excellent movie buried somewhere inside of it with a few more passes at the script. Too much time spent at being shocking when Fennell could have used that same energy to throw in some nuance. An interesting point of comparison is Donna Tartt's The Secret History, also ostensibly about a middle class outsider making friends with a posh college student, and then following them through the questionable moral circumstances that arise from wanting to preserve or attain high status, but where Tartt is more keen to imply and suggest, Fennell is just like HEY, DID YOU NOTICE? DID YOU? DID YOU SEE IT? The cum-tub slurpfest was shocking in a 'wow, are we really doing this' way, but the depravity following that felt more paint-by-numbers than anything else.

Absolutely gorgeous movie though, wanna hang out in that house.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

An interesting point of comparison is Donna Tartt's The Secret History, also ostensibly about [spoiler]a middle class outsider making friends with a posh college student, and then following them through the questionable moral circumstances that arise from wanting to preserve or attain high status

The absolute best version of this story is a book called This Side of Paradise by Fitzgerald. The protagonist isn't really middle class in the colloquial sense because his parents were high society and he grew up privileged until his mid-teens but his family is broke by the time he starts at Princeton. (Maybe because it's semi-autobiographical? I don't know his life but most of his work is.)

I like it a ton more than The Great Gatsby and I think it's considered the superior work by critics/scholars. I know this is the movie thread but I have to recommend it. And it'd actually make a fine film with the right director & cast.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Feel like my bar for movies about fish-out-of-water regular person experiencing the rich world is really high. I get the inclination for wanting to film those worlds, you can have your characters do literally anything money can buy, but boy most of em' suck.

A lot of em' fall short in terms of imagination, forget to make characters and instead just have mouth pieces for on-the-nose social commentary ("Triangle of Sadness"), or go for satire that's so far removed from reality it's not actually parodying anything ("Fool's Paradise"/"Being There" to a lesser extent).

Loved "The Menu", largely because it did have imagination when it came to the dishes. & that while the social commentary was on-the-nose, it was delivered by a person you increasingly come to understand is insane.

Bright Bart posted:

I know this is the movie thread but I have to recommend it. And it'd actually make a fine film with the right director & cast.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433096/ ?

or https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15126710/

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
This all makes Saltburn sound like a worse version of Society (1989, d.p. Rick Fichter).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

No neither of those and I don't think there is an adaptation out there. Sorry if I wrote it in a confusing way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This is easily the worst of the movies you mentioned imo. drat what a dull, obvious movie

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This all makes Saltburn sound like a worse version of Society (1989, d.p. Rick Fichter).

That would be something, there hasn't been enough shunting at the movies lately