Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
my drip machine has a little descale light that comes on a few times a year. I get irritated every time it does but it’s the only way I remember to run a cleaning cycle or two through it so I’m gonna give it a :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lousy hat posted:

my drip machine has a little descale light that comes on a few times a year. I get irritated every time it does but it’s the only way I remember to run a cleaning cycle or two through it so I’m gonna give it a :respek:

mine has a long spring tool you’re supposed to ram up the water hole. haven’t ever used it.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

akadajet posted:

mine has a long spring tool you’re supposed to ram up the water hole.

what is that man doing to his coffee maker

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

akadajet posted:

mine has a long spring tool you’re supposed to ram up the water hole. haven’t ever used it.

ram that hole friend

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

well-read undead posted:

I've heard it's really the only way to clean out the SMEG

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nobody Interesting posted:

every bean is sacred
every bean is good
if a bean is wasted
yospos gets irate

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

well-read undead posted:

some good thread title candidates to start the new year

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

well-read undead posted:

sounds good

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

forgot to post that i drank coffee on thursday. that will be the last coffee i drink until january 4 2024. see you next year !

happy new year! i'm about halfway through this coffee and i can tell it's going to hit me like a freight train

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
good 2 see u back

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tlOOXcMx08&t=56s

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only bunns men will clean

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

joe pera should be narrating these

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my descaler don't want none unless you got Bunn hon

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

graph posted:

and i can tell it's going to hit me like a freight train

my feet feel very light atm :ohdear:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I didn't do enough rinse cycles after my vinegar bath and my coffee yesterday was absolutely revolting. After running many many water though it todays coffee was very good

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
made a coffee but only drank half before i got carried away with work and now it is lukewarm and unpleasant. very sad.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Next time prioritize coffee over work

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

PokeJoe posted:

:hai:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

:hmmyes:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

had coffee

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m drinking a coffee right now

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
it's time to drink coffee

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

My mom got me a neat little espresso machine for Christmas! now I have 3 different coffee options which is awesome. I love my Mr. Coffee, espresso machine and moka pot. Got to go do some bean shopping tomorrow.

This leads me to a question though, I don’t have a fancy grinder and have my local shop grind for me when I buy. will beans that are ground for espresso still work alright in the moka pot? I assume I might get a little more sediment in the bottom but is there any major difference in taste?

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
making a 16:30 moka pot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Noobles posted:

My mom got me a neat little espresso machine for Christmas! now I have 3 different coffee options which is awesome. I love my Mr. Coffee, espresso machine and moka pot. Got to go do some bean shopping tomorrow.

This leads me to a question though, I don’t have a fancy grinder and have my local shop grind for me when I buy. will beans that are ground for espresso still work alright in the moka pot? I assume I might get a little more sediment in the bottom but is there any major difference in taste?

If you decrease grind size and leave all other variables the same, it should result in greater extraction which might be more bitter. I've never used a moka pot, so i couldnt really say but i dont think you can adjust the brew time to compensate. If you can somehow speed up the brew time that would in theory decrease the immersion time of the grounds and lower extraction.

Additionally, you might need to worry about finer grounds blocking the filter which would make the over extraction worse as it would increase brew time and probably temperature as well (if the brew even works at all)

That said if it doesnt work it doesnt work. Give it a try and see what happens!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Noobles posted:

espresso is a very different game. Depending on the machine you might have more success brewing espresso with the moka grind in with a pressurized basket instead of using an espresso grind in your moka pot. That'll probably give you the most consistent espresso extractions without having your own grinder.

If you're going to make espresso a part of your routine then a good grinder is strongly recommended. Lots of things change required grind size for good results, even stuff like humidity can throw out grinder settings really easily, and changing beans will always require a grind setting adjustment.

The basket on the left here is pressurized, you can tell cause the bottom has only a few holes, not completely covered. These work by restricting the flow through the basket itself, creating the pressure you want for espresso. The one on the right is an unpressurized basket and this is expecting that you're getting your grind size and dose correct for a good extraction.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
generally moka pot grinds are a little larger than true espresso grinds. I see comparisons like “table salt” and I do about a 10 on a baratza if that helps (it may not).

e: beaten with a way better post

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Noobles posted:

I would not risk overly fine grinds with a moka pot specifically. I've heard of one person severely burning themselves after their moka pot got clogged and erupted.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i'm almost done with my coffee

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
keurig machine at work was acting funny so I got a small, over exctracted cup of bean water

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drank coffee today

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i need some more coffee

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

with a moka pot just don't tamp down the ground coffee, it'll be fine. better with slightly coarser grind than espresso coffee, but it'll work with whatever.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I tamp my moka and like it

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

with a moka pot just don't tamp down the ground coffee, it'll be fine. better with slightly coarser grind than espresso coffee, but it'll work with whatever.

preground for espresso is always going to be a compromise so you may as well optimise for the moka pot and compromise on the espresso rather than compromise on both

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Thank you all for the input, I ended up just getting espresso grind the other day but after hearing suggestions I’m going to get some coffee ground for moka pot soon. oh noooooo, I’m going to have a lot of coffee!

In the future I’ll probably just get it ground for moka and use that in the espresso maker as well.

Thanks again, coffee friends!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
recs for a good grinder for making espresso from aliexpress ? the one i have doesn’t really get the grind fine enough (it’s basically a filter coffee grinder)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bartiza encore clone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The DF64 is well regarded. The ITOP40S looks good too but I can't find any reviews.