Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Agents of B.E.S.S.I.E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Voiceover: "In this episode, the role of Mickey Smith will be played by John Boyega"

Doctor: "Well someone's had a glow up since I last saw him!"

*studio audience laughs*

Mickey desperately trying to tell UNIT that he really is the person on his badge, he just went to the Land of Fiction with the Doctor, got turned into a cardboard cutout, and the Doctor put his face together improperly.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

It's good to meet you.

Good to greet you.

Good to say "How diddly deet you."

It's my birthday, my oh my.

I'm fifty miles up in the sky.

Goblins you can go to hell.

'Cause you're not eating Lulubelle.

Me and Rose we got just one hope.

If I have understood that rope.

((Scottish noises))

I think about the master knot.

The master knot has been undone.

That's when we start having fun.

Hold on tight.

I'm a Doctor Who newbie and my American ears still struggle now and then. No one has mentioned it, but he did call her Rose, right? And what was the other line. "Ka succa dem if things got hot?"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*Accents exist*
Random American: "YOU BRITS EVER CONSIDER SPEAKING ENGLISH?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reckon the UKians would struggle just as much if we decided to make up a new dialect for every single neighborhood too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Infinitum posted:

*Accents exist*
Random American: "YOU BRITS EVER CONSIDER SPEAKING ENGLISH?"

It's bullshit that Doctor Who (and most other media, esp. British and other foreign) does not default to the objectively correct way to speak English, the most quintessential American way: the Boston accent! :patriot:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Doctor Who: ((Scottish noises))

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Me and Rubes, we got just one hope- if I have understood that rope. 'Cause stuck up there when things got hot, I think I found the master knot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Moffatt :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:hmmyes:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Khanstant posted:

Reckon the UKians would struggle just as much if we decided to make up a new dialect for every single neighborhood too.

In this case he has a pretty easy to understand accent though!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Khanstant posted:

I'm still hoping the section 31 show doesn't happen and don't know anyone wanting it to be made lol.

It's really getting in the way of the right callback show to make for Star Trek:

A medical drama starring Dr. Bashir dealing with all kinds of weird space diseases, with his husband as a guest star.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2024

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Honestly I really liked the whole rope hacking thing.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lots of fun ideas and feelings. Not as many returns on revisit, but I can say the new Doc can certainly cut a figure on the dance floor.

Calling "The Horny Doctor" before the tabloids get it.

Ed. gently caress ME "Thot Doctor" was right there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Honestly I really liked the whole rope hacking thing.

I like it conceptually, but I think the production didn't (couldn't?) go the full Jim Henson to make that subplot sing.

There's a few other moments in throughout where I kept thinking that the production needed to be more cramped, more chaotic, etc. All the different gobbos and their designs looked sick, but I wanted more of that all over the place, e.g. the Sunday attic apartment set.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We are watching the S3 Dalek two parter and Space Cadet is convinced that their plan is to make a giant Dalek from the Empire State Building.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you're watching the whole series through then getting to Amy and Rory's last episode will be a treat

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

If you're watching the whole series through then getting to Amy and Rory's last episode will be a treat

I'm skipping the odd scary one after what happened with The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances so I'm not sure what I'll end up doing for the Angel stuff. Might only miss Blink though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We are watching the S3 Dalek two parter and Space Cadet is convinced that their plan is to make a giant Dalek from the Empire State Building.

Space Cadet has a future in writing for Doctor Who I think because that is brilliant.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

SpeakSlow posted:

Lots of fun ideas and feelings. Not as many returns on revisit, but I can say the new Doc can certainly cut a figure on the dance floor.

Calling "The Horny Doctor" before the tabloids get it.

Ed. gently caress ME "Thot Doctor" was right there.

Doctor Oo'er

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

RTD should do this in the new season, and the entire Unleashed episode that goes along with it is him pitching the idea at a writers meeting while just staring an invited Steven Moffat directly in the eyes the entire time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I very much hope Gatwa gets a Moffat written 2 parter at some point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Infinitum posted:

I very much hope Gatwa gets a Moffat written 2 parter at some point

Moffat writing for the show again under RTD would be very cool, and I'm still sad we never got an RTD script written under Moffat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A friend of mine said there's a rumour that Moffat wrote an episode where the Doctor steps on a landmine and can't move from it or it explodes, and then after hearing about that there was a shot in the trailer that looked like the Doctor stepping on a landmine...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SirSamVimes posted:

A friend of mine said there's a rumour that Moffat wrote an episode where the Doctor steps on a landmine and can't move from it or it explodes, and then after hearing about that there was a shot in the trailer that looked like the Doctor stepping on a landmine...

Isn't that just the opening of the Davros episode he wrote? Moffat doesn't seem the type to reuse an idea.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't that just the opening of the Davros episode he wrote? Moffat doesn't seem the type to reuse an idea.

*looks directly to camera* uh-huh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just :lol: if you don't consider The Empty Child + The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, & Silence in the Library + Forest of the Dead as some of the top tier episodes of RTD's run.

Moffat writing an ep(s) where he's not the showrunner should make you excited.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat's already run through more story ideas than most of us can conceive of, some tossed out in a cold open. Not sure what he could have left in the tank. I think he's written more Doctor Who than anyone at this point? Though a fresh lick of paint can always provide inspiration, and "the Doctor has to stand still" sounds like a fun high concept, especially for someone as active as Ncuti

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bottle (rocket) episode

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

2house2fly posted:

Moffat's already run through more story ideas than most of us can conceive of, some tossed out in a cold open. Not sure what he could have left in the tank. I think he's written more Doctor Who than anyone at this point? Though a fresh lick of paint can always provide inspiration, and "the Doctor has to stand still" sounds like a fun high concept, especially for someone as active as Ncuti

I was going to say surely Terrance Dicks has written more but Moffat's got 95 episodes credited on IMDB and Dicks "only" has 35. And 4 of those are under a pseudonym.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

It's literally the first peril in Genesis of the Daleks

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Another thought: if you don't count co-writer credits (and uncredited co-writing/rewriting) Moffat has written 42 episodes. That's a number one might not want to alter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Honestly what Moffat needs most is an editor who can sand off some off some his bad habits, so assuming Davies actually does some redlines on stuff like sonic boner jokes, then he can come back once a year. I'll allow it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

As Dabir points out, it happens in episode 1 of Genesis of the Daleks. You don't write for Doctor Who unless you're somewhat keen on reusing classic Who ideas...

(Also it was Davros in the handmine field in that episode.)

Bicyclops posted:

Honestly what Moffat needs most is an editor who can sand off some off some his bad habits, so assuming Davies actually does some redlines on stuff like sonic boner jokes, then he can come back once a year. I'll allow it.
Honestly, this is the thing. Most writers seem to only have one or two good Doctor Who stories in them per year. Both the RTD1 seasons and the first half of the Moffat run get into a situation where the showrunner's stories are either very good (because they're the person who best understands the big picture of what the show is going for at that time) or very bad (because trying to write and do showrunning at the same time is a hell of a task, there's a reason in the classic era the modern showrunner role was split between the producer and script editor) with not much in between.

That said I am now deep into Series 9 on my full watchthrough and it's very good, easily the best of the Moffat seasons I have seen, and he writes a bunch in it. So I don't rule out his capacity to suddenly come up with a fresh approach.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was watching Columbo yesterday (the one with Cassavettes) and had an idea for a multi-Doc special where The Doctor solves a murder over the course of several regenerations. He pops in, hangs out with the murderer for a while, leaves, pops up later at the companion’s work in a new form, etc. The murderer has no idea who all these weird folks are, or even that they’re the same person.

If any of you work for Big Finish, I give you permission to steal this idea.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Surprised one of the first posts wasn't The Comic we all know and love - feel like that should be part of the OP

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Now that Doctor Who has the Disney money and they're doing spin-offs, pitch five Doctor Who spin-off ideas. Here are mine:

• Time and Relative Dimensions in Space - an anthology show that just invites big name creators who grew up with the show to pitch their own stories using the Doctor Who setting.
  • We Will Survive! - using the "Cybermen will always pop up" from the Peter Capaldi years as a springboard, follows some characters in a world that begins doing Mondas-esque conversion. Emphasizing some real, human stories so that the dehumanization and body horror hits hard.
  • The Proclamation of Peladon - The "Shadow Proclamation" is brokered on Peladon just as the monarchy is collapsing into a republic.
  • That's Our Davros! - Four camera sitcom based on that Jeru post in which Six and Davros are roommates. Tom Baker's wax dummy stars in an important role.
  • I Hate Doctor Who! - Someone loses a bet to a sadbrained friend and has to watch and review every episode of Doctor Who for a dead comedy forum and as he writes his reviews, he gradually discovers that he actually loves the show, even after his friend leaves in a huff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought Moffat and Davies have been all but outright saying Moffat will write at least one episode in the coming season.

I'm good with that. We're all now very familiar with Moffat's problems as a writer, but one story every once and a while feels like we'd avoid some of those. It's when he has to carry a show, especially long term, that Moffat becomes unbearable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Surprised one of the first posts wasn't The Comic we all know and love - feel like that should be part of the OP

This one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The bad news is that the pattern will repeat endlessly, and once RTD2 ends we will begin MoffaTwo in vain.