Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Even Domain is just esper midrange splashing beans

Triomes were a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

The solution, and you'all don't want to have this conversation, is to make "exile" meet the condition to trigger "dies"

I support this but it would probably make blink effects too good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

The solution, and you'all don't want to have this conversation, is to make "exile" meet the condition to trigger "dies"

That feels like it would break so many things by making removal all hosed up

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

You are not ready to have the conversation

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What do you think the biggest benefit of the change is, Hoot?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Alternatively add "departs" that is dies or is exiled and then they have a tool to dial in how effective they want exile removal to be without breaking anything.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I would simply not print exile sweepers in Standard. The last one I recall was Shadow’s Verdict, which was also annoying as hell. In fact, there’s a lot of similarities between Domain now and that Sultai Ultimatum deck from that standard era. Both are miserable to play against.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My hottest MTG take is I think that a lot of modern answer cards (removal, etc) in mtg has gotten way too efficient, which has made the threats have to be insanely powerful to compensate for it

It's a race to produce ever more efficient threats that do everything, and then later print more efficient answers to deal with those more efficient threats

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Alternatively add "departs" that is dies or is exiled and then they have a tool to dial in how effective they want exile removal to be without breaking anything.

We already have that https://scryfall.com/card/znc/10/admonition-angel

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

we need to wrangle all these nice dual-like and triome lands that standard/pioneer has gotten over the past couple years. way too easy to play 5 color piles.

we need to put blood moon into standard.

maybe magus of the moon as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

My hottest MTG take is I think that a lot of modern answer cards (removal, etc) in mtg has gotten way too efficient, which has made the threats have to be insanely powerful to compensate for it

It's a race to produce ever more efficient threats that do everything, and then later print more efficient answers to deal with those more efficient threats

My issues mostly are with enchantment based removal and there not being very efficient ways to remove them based on. My wish list wouldn't even be just removal of enchantments, but a big drawback to the enchantment owner. Something like "blow up target enchantment, enchantment owner takes damage based on its cmc".

Right now in all formats there is no downside to running 4/5 colors and using leyline binding.

What i am saying is print blood moon at 2 cmc.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

My issues mostly are with enchantment based removal and there not being very efficient ways to remove them based on. My wish list wouldn't even be just removal of enchantments, but a big drawback to the enchantment owner. Something like "blow up target enchantment, enchantment owner takes damage based on its cmc".

Right now in all formats there is no downside to running 4/5 colors and using leyline binding.

:hmmyes: that's true

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

we need to wrangle all these nice dual-like and triome lands that standard/pioneer has gotten over the past couple years. way too easy to play 5 color piles.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

3 CMC chandra that ticks down to create a blood moon emblem, ticks up to turn a land into a mountain

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I think if you get rid of the 5-color value piles you're just left with a dozen different synergy-aggro decks that can snowball beyond all proportions by turn 3, especially on the play. and they'll still kind of be value piles, because so many aggressive creatures also now come with riders that generate card advantage immediately or over time. It's difficult for me to imagine that anyone has been intentional about the shape of the standard format since at least Eldraine.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

ilmucche posted:

The real issue is that exile is both a super graveyard, as well as a temporary holding zone. Clearly we need a "blink" exile zone and a permanent exile zone.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Weird Pumpkin posted:

3 CMC chandra that ticks down to create a blood moon emblem, ticks up to turn a land into a mountain

A cheap blood moon emblem would be the most toxic card of all time lol, I'd love to play with it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Exile should cost extra over Destroy especially for Wraths, but currently you get it for free AND an extra upside which is absurd. You can't play any GY or sac or whatever deck because the hoser is the best maindeck solution, just randomly. Farewell was bad enough but that cost 6 at least. Sunfall is comical

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

What do you think the biggest benefit of the change is, Hoot?

It allows them to keep spamming "exile" effects while letting them print creatures that get value for things other then ETB while keeping the elegant "dies" word

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Exile should cost extra over Destroy especially for Wraths, but currently you get it for free AND an extra upside which is absurd. You can't play any GY or sac or whatever deck because the hoser is the best maindeck solution, just randomly. Farewell was bad enough but that cost 6 at least. Sunfall is comical

Yeah, Sunfall definitely doesn't feel like it should be exiling. I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have on the card's playability in Standard (can't think of many good dies triggers or GY cards, but I've been checked out since LCI), but it does make exiling feel less special when it's attached to already on rate removal cards.

FWIW I feel like most of the good removal spells in modern still destroy, Prismatic and Binding are the only ones that exile?

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 4, 2024

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Modern is the best format because the answers are more efficient than the threats. I vehemently disagree with this take (respectfully though).

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Strong Sauce posted:

Agreed. Also Wasteland. :getin:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

Modern is the best format because the answers are more efficient than the threats. I vehemently disagree with this take (respectfully though).

imo legacy is a better format than modern because the powerful universal answers also have extremely bonkers threats and powerful combo enablers to go with them

but I mostly have an axe to grind with cards like the evoke elementals truth be told, and I still kinda think unholy heat is too efficient for how easy it is to turn on

edit: but I totally get different viewpoints on this, I am, admittedly, a linear deck enjoyer at the end of the day

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 4, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I think 1-3 color decks having decent to great mana is fine and healthy for the game. I think decks having decent to great 4-5 color mana leads to balancing problems. The fact that they have put a lot of effort into 5 color being easier than ever before WHILE making extremely strong payoffs like domain instead of just the great payoff of "have access to all the best cards". You can play 5 color in every format for the high cost of ... checks notes... not doing anything turn 1.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

I disagree, I think it's too easy to remove enchantments right now. they're supposed to be these things you invest a whole turn into that provide a big effect but removal for them is incidental on a lot of already great cards.

do not punish all enchantments for the sins of leyline binding

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

fadam posted:

Yeah, Sunfall definitely doesn't feel like it should be exiling. I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have on the card's playability in Standard (can't think of many good dies triggers or GY cards, but I've been checked out since LCI), but it does make exiling feel less special when it's attached to already on rate removal cards.

FWIW I feel like most of the good removal spells in modern still destroy, Prismatic and Binding are the only ones that exile?
Historically 5 mana destroy sweepers have had a pretty rough go of it. Sunfall leaving stuff behind stuff as an upside isn't nothing but shutting off the graveyard and dies triggers is one of the only compelling reasons to be comfortable waiting that long.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kalel posted:

I disagree, I think it's too easy to remove enchantments right now. they're supposed to be these things you invest a whole turn into that provide a big effect but removal for them is incidental on a lot of already great cards.

do not punish all enchantments for the sins of leyline binding

I feel like that is why it should scale. When you start talking about enchantments 4+ cmc you are talking about a very narrow amount of cards that are powerful without being very fair. Unfair punishments for unfair designed cards are fine imo.

What cards do you believe make removing enchantments too easy at the moment?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

boseiju, farewell, invoke despair, leyline binding, tranquil frillback, cathar commando, destroy evil, and outland liberator are cards that have all seen play in standard and several in other formats. get lost might start to see play over fateful absence. some are more efficient than others, some have a higher deck building cost than others, but all of them are prominent enough in their respective metas to make enchantments which don't provide immediate value a high risk. when phyrexian arena is unplayable in standard, I think there's a problem.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

You forgot solitude, the best one
And between solitude, binding, and some number of pending that's 10-12 slots in the deck, how much more removal are people playing?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

timeless on arena has taught me how delightful casting a well-timed blood moon is

definitely should be a part of all formats

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

imweasel09 posted:

Historically 5 mana destroy sweepers have had a pretty rough go of it. Sunfall leaving stuff behind stuff as an upside isn't nothing but shutting off the graveyard and dies triggers is one of the only compelling reasons to be comfortable waiting that long.

What dies and GY effects are played in Standard right now (genuine question, with Descend I'm assuming LCI added a lot)? In the Domain deck, Sunfall rocked because it's a safety valve that doubles as a wincon. I don't think there's ever been a 5 CMC wrath that leaves a big body behind before.

HootTheOwl posted:

You forgot solitude, the best one
And between solitude, binding, and some number of pending that's 10-12 slots in the deck, how much more removal are people playing?

Tons, no? Bolt, F//I, Unholy Heat, Flame of Anor, Push, Bowmaster, Dead//Gone (lol). I think white having a niche as the exile removal colour is fine. Lots of decks still don't have a clean answer to dies triggers.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 4, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

What dies and GY effects are played in Standard right now? In the Domain deck, Sunfall rocked because it's a safety valve that doubles as a wincon. I don't think there's ever been a 5 CMC wrath that leaves a big body behind before.
Time wipe

quote:

Tons, no? Bolt, F//I, Unholy Heat, Flame of Anor, Push, Bowmaster, Dead//Gone (lol). I think white having a niche as the exile removal colour is fine.
You misunderstood my post: a deck doesn't have room for 12 white removals AND any number of destroy effects. You can't play any of those cards because your run out of room in the deck.
Furthermore, it's not niche because every color has access to it, fetches and shocks give perfect mana every time and it's not like standard, without fetches, is immune considering how many posters above were mad about domain. Additionally, exile is not just White's thing any more. It's only their thing when it's unconditional

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Time wipe

You misunderstood my post: a deck doesn't have room for 12 white removals AND any number of destroy effects. You can't play any of those cards because your run out of room in the deck.
Furthermore, it's not niche because every color has access to it, fetches and shocks give perfect mana every time and it's not like standard, without fetches, is immune considering how many posters above were mad about domain. Additionally, exile is not just White's thing any more. It's only their thing when it's unconditional

Time Wipe is fair, but I think we can both agree it is a bit different than just making a big guy from out of nowhere.

I might be misunderstanding your second point, but I don't think any decks are just splashing for white removal. And I think white having the unconditional exile niche is also fine lol. Are you even encountering that many white decks in the wild post beans ban? I've been a Timelss bugman for the past few weeks and wasn't playing much Modern before anway, but challenge results show mostly non-w decks. Don't have any actual recent anecdotal experience one way or the other tho.

In a similar vein to Sunfall, I think Haywire Mite probably shouldn't be exiling either. I think that was probably added for limited in MoM with all the Unearth stuff.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 4, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It doesn't matter that heywire mite shouldn't, the point is that the exile removal isn't a premium anymore, and if it's going to be everywhere then "dies" is owed compensation

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I guess my point is that it isn't everywhere tho, you're more likely to encounter decks without MD answers to dies than decks with.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"owed compensation" is funny as hell, lol

they already have "when ~ leaves the battlefield"for cases where that's what they want

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

fadam posted:

What dies and GY effects are played in Standard right now (genuine question, with Descend I'm assuming LCI added a lot)? In the Domain deck, Sunfall rocked because it's a safety valve that doubles as a wincon. I don't think there's ever been a 5 CMC wrath that leaves a big body behind before.

You mean effects that are strong enough to survive in a sunfall meta and are also making sure nobody is dumb enough to switch their sunfalls for depopulate?
Indestructible :Plaza of Heroes , Guardian, Hajar
GY cards that survive sunfall and trespasser and skitter meta: Dennick, Valiant Veteran, Black Virtue, Takenuma, Skree, chick.
Dies: Siege Veteran, Sangurine Evangelist, Vraan.

Probably missed a lot I wasn't playing standard much this week so I haven't seen all of them today.
I think Lci's gy stuff is more played in janky combo decks then actually competitive decks. It actually reduced gy decks because cavern of souls made ramp so much better then reanimator.
Valorous stance also used to be around, it was mostly killed by the overpowered enchantments we are getting these days.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 4, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I guess my point is that it isn't everywhere tho, you're more likely to encounter decks without MD answers to dies than decks with.

Jabor posted:

"owed compensation" is funny as hell, lol

they already have "when ~ leaves the battlefield"for cases where that's what they want

You were not ready to have the conversation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

You mean effects that are strong enough to survive in a sunfall meta and are also making sure nobody is dumb enough to switch their sunfalls for depopulate?
Indestructible :Plaza of Heroes , Guardian, Hajar
GY cards that survive sunfall and trespasser and skitter meta: Dennick, Valiant Veteran, Black Virtue, Takenuma, Skree, chick.
Dies: Siege Veteran, Sangurine Evangelist, Vraan.

Probably missed a lot I wasn't playing standard much this week so I haven't seen all of them today.
I think Lci's gy stuff is more played in janky combo decks then actually competitive decks. It actually reduced gy decks because cavern of souls made ramp so much better then reanimator.
Valorous stance also used to be around, it was mostly killed by the overpowered enchantments we are getting these days.

Interesting, ty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Brimg back buried for exiled creatures, clearly.