Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've played it, and all the DLC, and recommended it to like half a dozen friends, and I definitely thought the title was Curse of the Golden Idol this whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Every time I remember the game I think it's Curse, not Case, yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Hey just wanna let you know I think most of your images aren't lined up near the descriptions of the correct games.
On upcoming posts I go images first then text rather than title then image, because I put two images side by side to save vertical space for the sake of people not needing to scroll forever. And having the text above the images would be even more confusing I think because it's two games being described and shown

i should also mention that this month alone has a few interesting releases too: The Cub (inspired by the Virgin Disney games of the Genesis), Turnip Boy Robs a Bank, Go Mecha Ball, Enshrouded, and the cursed game Palworld

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 3, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am going to check if there is a second Golden Idol Game that isn't the upcoming 3D one lol

Edit: there is not, the Rise of the Golden Idol is in 2024, which as I type it i realize is this year

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cause of the Gelded Oodle

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megazver posted:

1. My Time at Sandrock
I'm gonna put this on top just because barely any media Game of the Year lists mention it at all and because I think I enjoyed it more than BG3. This is, for my money, the best lifesim currently on the market. Better than Stardew Valley, that's right, you heard me. Better than Portia by a long shot and I'm one of the people who thought Portia was pretty solid. I am genuinely shaking with excitement at the thought of how good the next game in the series is gonna get.

There’s going to be another one? Good heavens I am ready for that, and I haven’t even quite finished Sandrock.

I didn’t play Portia and from what I can tell it will be hard to put up with after Sandrock, so I probably won’t bother.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also thanks to the goon who informed me about the Pentiment frog sweatshirt, I have acquired one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I found it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

webmeister posted:

Everybody loves Bethesda bugs, so if we're doing top 10 lists, here's my favourite 10 features from this year's official Most Innovative Game, Starfield!

10. Companions getting stuck in a hallway, but still interjecting into your conversation from hundreds of metres away
9. Asteroids permanently sticking to your ship
8. Characters getting stuck with their eyes permanently bulging out
7. Characters getting stuck with their eyes permanently closed
6. Ships attached to a major space station spinning crazily like figure skaters
5. Repainting your spaceship completely rearranges the interior, including the layout of ladders and internal doors
4. Progressing a certain quest completely resets the main city, which also means any decorations or loot you've placed in your apartment gets deleted
3. Critical quest NPCs spawning permanently off the map, rendering some quests uncompleteable and vendors entirely unavailable for the rest of the game
2. Enemy spaceships only targeting the 0,0,0 centre of your ship, so if you build a ring-shaped spaceship, enemies can literally never hit you
1. Random NPCs attempting to talk to you while you're in a cutscene, meaning they run straight up to you and glare awkwardly while you're having a conversation

I actually didn't mind Starfield - it's not a good game, but someone called it a controversial 7/10 and imo that's about right. I enjoyed most of the 80 hours I spent in-game, but I was definitely ready to drop it by the end.

A rare bugs triple post! :eyepop:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

1 copy of Pentiment

:hai:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jay Rust posted:

It's "CASE" of the golden idol!!

I knew that title was asking for trouble the second i first read it!

Someone should pull an Asylum and make a real Curse of the Golden Idol that’s just a janky sudoku or something

Also since I’m here, a question about the game, specifically the dinner party puzzle (spoiler for the solution ahead): how the gently caress are you supposed to logic your way into knowing “Darkhand” is a part of the solution? I kinda just picked it because it sounded right and I was down to two wrong boxes, I don’t know how I would have gotten it otherwise.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

iTrust posted:

Here are the top 6 ways you will lose in Against the Storm - particularly at higher difficulties but applicable at all times.

Go play Against the Storm.

I never would have tried this game if it didn't pop up so many times on this list. I am running on fumes getting like 5 hours of sleep a night the past 2 days. A blessing and a curse

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Looking forward to Ron Gilbert's upcoming deduction game, "The Case of Money Island"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Someone should pull an Asylum and make a real Curse of the Golden Idol that’s just a janky sudoku or something

Also since I’m here, a question about the game, specifically the dinner party puzzle (spoiler for the solution ahead): how the gently caress are you supposed to logic your way into knowing “Darkhand” is a part of the solution? I kinda just picked it because it sounded right and I was down to two wrong boxes, I don’t know how I would have gotten it otherwise.

IIRC there's a note somewhere in Ada's belongings that's like "You know what to do with this (poison), do it tonight. -Darkhand"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

There’s going to be another one? Good heavens I am ready for that, and I haven’t even quite finished Sandrock.

I didn’t play Portia and from what I can tell it will be hard to put up with after Sandrock, so I probably won’t bother.

They had a survey recently where one of the questions was "where would you want the next game to be set?".

https://forms.gle/CWnkJdkrWCQYF9h26

I still think Portia is pretty fun, even if Sandrock is an improvement on it in every way. Try it if you see in a bundle, at least.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If I'd played it maybe a day or two earlier Class of '09 and Class of '09 the Re-up would have made it into my top 10 easily, probably somewhere in the top 5. The writing is incisive, the humour is incredibly dark, but just really funny and the voice acting is great.

Plus it's getting an anime or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jvXZ-Tqc4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megazver posted:

They had a survey recently where one of the questions was "where would you want the next game to be set?".

https://forms.gle/CWnkJdkrWCQYF9h26

I still think Portia is pretty fun, even if Sandrock is an improvement on it in every way. Try it if you see in a bundle, at least.

Nice! Come on Vega 5!

I think I already own Portia from a bundle but haven’t got around to trying it. More concerned that it’ll be good enough at making number go up, but still unpleasant such that I’m just sort of feeling bleh and obligated the whole time. I might be overthinking it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DalaranJ posted:

Looking forward to Ron Gilbert's upcoming deduction game, "The Case of Money Island"

I mean the very first Golden Idol case made me think of Monkey Island basically instantly

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The 7th Guest posted:

On upcoming posts I go images first then text rather than title then image, because I put two images side by side to save vertical space for the sake of people not needing to scroll forever. And having the text above the images would be even more confusing I think because it's two games being described and shown

roger that, i see it now.

it reads as a huge vertical stack unless i zoom out to 80% in a browser. i never quite know how to format things for other people because so many users view via the mobile app, and here i am still posting on a laptop, i end up just going ham on [timg] tags

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I always appreciate timg tags even when I’m on my desktop. I’ll expand what interests me and easily scroll past what does not.

DalaranJ posted:

I’d be all over Ron Gilbert’s writing paired with more deduction puzzles. It might not be as narratively on-theme as the silly logic of the past MI games… but gently caress it, it’s a lot more fun to solve.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Also thanks to the goon who informed me about the Pentiment frog sweatshirt, I have acquired one.

:rms:

That was me! Please enjoy it. I wore mine to the grocery store today, as a treat.

Edit:

Starting a “goons in Pentiment frog sweaters” crew for all of us

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 4, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Subjunctive posted:

:stare:

Oh my God: https://uk.gear.xbox.com/products/pentiment-frog-holiday-crewneck-sweatshirt

:stwoon:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

fez_machine posted:

This is the heart of all good skill systems in RPGs. They're a device for showing the game/game master what the player is interested in. If a player is putting points in a skill they should be seeing more content related to it.

The difference maker in Disco is that it also shows you more content when you're *bad* in a skill, consistently reminding you of your shortcomings and also driving your interest towards attempting to rectify them.

In a traditional RPG, you tend to go depth first. Always add +2 to your important attribute on level up etc. There is nothing truly interesting about being above mortal capabilities already and then becoming 5% better at those same things. Disco Elysium makes you interested in being better at things you're bad at, and by the end, Harry will have grown in all facets of being a person and discovered a whole new world the boozy failure from the start of the game was oblivious to. It encourages breadth, which translates to narrative and emotional depth.

BG3 is a great cRPG, which is awesome, but it's also nothing new. Disco is genuinely groundbreaking.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 4, 2024

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was very happy to see Batman: Arkham Knight place on a few people's lists. It's a great game! Man, it's been like two years since my last replay, wonder how it would look on the OLED...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Part of this is just how RPGs (particularly DnDlike RPGs) have been designed until recently - both the video and tabletop kind. Combat is a thing you are obliged to do in a DnDlike RPG, which means you have to invest in the various things that make your character at combat. This means that if you are, say, the rogue-y type who wants the high agility/dexterity equivalent in whatever game your'e in, it means you probably aren't investing so much in the strength equivalent and so you can't really do things strength-ily. Since the combat is obligatory, your combat self defines your non-combat self.

Naturally there are solutions - one is simply to remove things like ability scores entirely. You still might choose to, say, be skilled in Arcana as a wizard, but since something like an Intelligence score no longer exists, it's based purely on your skill training. You could be a warrior into Arcana or an Athletic wizard since you're no longer directed by key ability scores.

Another option is to simply totally divorce combat stats from noncombat stats. Who you are in a fight doesn't matter to who you are out of a fight and how you justify that is up to you - you can make them cohere but you're not obligated to. Be an axe-hurling warrior who terrorises the battlefield but who couldn't manage a pull-up, if you want.

The final option is, of course, just not having a battle system. Fights still happen in the game, they're simply resolved as a check or as a series of checks like any other dramatic happening. This is more or less what Disco Elysium went with - it's interesting to look at pre-release material and see that there were intended to be a few more brawls than what ended up in game, they even used the term 'Whirls' to refer to the choicey options during a fight, as opposed to 'turns'.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 4, 2024

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Kazzah posted:

I was very happy to see Batman: Arkham Knight place on a few people's lists. It's a great game! Man, it's been like two years since my last replay, wonder how it would look on the OLED...

It's the definitive Batman experience. It also still looks amazing visually. Rocksteady worked some serious magic with UE3.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

dex_sda posted:

The difference maker in Disco is that it also shows you more content when you're *bad* in a skill, consistently reminding you of your shortcomings and also driving your interest towards attempting to rectify them.

In a traditional RPG, you tend to go depth first. Always add +2 to your important attribute on level up etc. There is nothing truly interesting about being above mortal capabilities already and then becoming 5% better at those same things. Disco Elysium makes you interested in being better at things you're bad at, and by the end, Harry will have grown in all facets of being a person and discovered a whole new world the boozy failure from the start of the game was oblivious to. It encourages breadth, which translates to narrative and emotional depth.

BG3 is a great cRPG, which is awesome, but it's also nothing new. Disco is genuinely groundbreaking.

The summer blockbuster vs the art film.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
OK goons. Yesterday I bought Slay the Princess due to all the GOTY recommendations and then I played it for 3 solid hours.

This game is amazing. You should buy it if you can. I was 100% certain I'd hosed up and then "This is where the real Slay the Princess begins." What a moment! I'll never forget it.

Spoilered for what's going on in my game, do not read this motherfucker if you haven't played it just go play it if you can: I stopped last night at "The Damsel" just before my only option was "Rescue the Princess." I've grown once and withered once, and I think that when I grew I was more violent and listened more to the Voice of the Stubborn and when I withered I just eschewed violence and let her strangle me without fighting back. The game is loving amazing at making you second-guess yourself constantly. "I thought I had found a friend, but you were just another monster!"

I'm obviously trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on here, and right now if I had to guess I'd say there's a weird "corrupted Yin and Yang" thing going on, and the more you choose violence the more corrupted your side of the equation gets ("You have grown") and the more you refuse it the further you fade away. Perhaps we're burning away, or reinforcing, the bad aspects of each side as we make these choices? And maybe the thing with all the hands is building a sturdy vessel to give birth to a better world than the one that's ending? Or, you know, it's an eldritch horror that will destroy everything.

Or... or did we cause the end of the world with our conflict, and now we're desperately trying to fix it? Is all of this our fault?

Thanks to absolutely everyone who recommended this, I would have missed it for sure and I'd have been worse off for it. My buddy is coming over tomorrow thinking we're just going to watch some movies or something and I can't wait to just start the game and hand him the mouse and see what he does on his trip down to the basement to Slay the Princess.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Kazzah posted:

If you're talking about the Switch OLED, you should know the port is Borderlands 2 on the Vita levels of bad.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

dex_sda posted:

What makes Disco's skill system so amazing is how the game punishes you for investing too much into a skill. Not with any ingame penalty, but by affecting you, the player. At higher levels skills like Empathy, Logic and Drama will chime in constantly with their opinions, coloring the player's view on characters and scenes; their interpretations aren't always accurate or even healthy ways of looking at things. One of the most disturbing is Suggestion (the game's version of the "persuade" skill). Listening to it too much can make you feel like a creepy manipulator viewing people as problems to solve. And some of the skills like most physical skills or Authority are easy to ignore and write off as crazy. It's the skills that come off as reasonable that can really mess with you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

If we're talking about most anticipated games of this year, mine is hands down Fantasy Life: The Witch Who Stole Time. Hello, game that is laser targeted at me? Just take my money now!

Games from last year that I mean to check out this year Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince and Casette Beasts, in the vein of being laser targeted at me.

Right now I'm still working on the DLC for Pokemon Scarvi. Didn't finish that in time to put it on my list. Next time!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Top 10 games I'm going to play/finish in 2024:

10. Final Fantasy 6 - I had a pretty good time running through this in '22. Unfortunately, I put it down for a bit and lost track of the story, and it's hard to come back after that. I'm gonna start this one over and make sure to keep some notes about what's happening to keep myself on track.
9. Void Stranger - I need a good puzzle game to work on while I listen to podcasts and I've almost finished Patrick's Parabox. I think it's interesting how even the store page is extremely tight lipped on the matter of what this game is actually about.
8. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust - This one's been installed on my computer for over a year now, its time to either play it or remove it. I heard it's like a mix of the 2d and 3d zeldas and I like both of those.
7. Paranormasight - I usually hate horror but I've enjoyed it when it's in VN form. I hear good things about the first half of this story and I doubt it can end on a worse note than Raging Loop which I still have an overall positive feel for in spite of the train wreck it becomes.
6. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - As an edgy teen I loved PoP Warrior Within, it's about time to come back to the game that fans with taste preferred.
5. Yakuza 3 - I played the remakes of the first two games so I am coming into this prepared for a drastic decrease in quality. Still, I doubt this game will lack in what matters for the series which is stupid bullshit side stories.
4. Hi Fi Rush - Tried it once last year, thought it was really good, never came back. Why am I like this?
3. Slay the Princess - Goons will not stop recommending this game so I guess I have to play it.
2. Pizza Tower - I'm 33% complete on this one, great game but I am not the kind of person who enjoys mastering a game to get high scores and such.
1. Cultic - Fills a little bit of the void in my soul left by DUSK

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
Top 3 games this thread has gotten me hyped about but I can’t play because I don’t have a Windows machine:

3. Hi-Fi Rush
2. Against the Storm
1. Pentiment (mostly last year’s thread)

Just hoping for ports but it seems like Pentiment will probably not be ported, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

1. Cultic - Fills a little bit of the void in my soul left by DUSK

play Turbo Overkill too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pentiment was made by Obsidian, which was acquired by Microsoft, so it's not likely to be ported, no.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pentiment will play fine under Proton if you have a Linux machine, or do the porting-toolkit dance on macOS

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Top 5 things I listened to while playing video games

5. Revolutions

Mike Duncan's follow up to his History of Rome podcast. I get confused by all the names while playing video games. Bolivar was a fascinating guy tho.

4. Trueanon

Great podcast! One of my favorites. But the subject matter is often much darker than the fun times you are having with pixel people while listening, creating a dissonance. But still if you want to learn about JFK conspiracies while playing Tiny Rogues, good choice! Brace mentions metal gear a lot.

3. The Mountain Goats, Jordan Lake Sessions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Se76S0XH-I
My favorite band ever! I love the Jordan Lake sessions! Everyone who has ever been sad loves the Mountain Goats. In this song in particular John mentions playing video games which is why I picked it for this post.

2. Hollywood Handbook

The funniest podcast that is impossible to recommend to people.

1. Song of Achilles

A retelling of the Trojan wars from the perspective of Patroclus. It focuses on his romance with Achilles, yay homosexuality! I think homosexuality is neat. Achilles is really good at killing, so you might feel a kinship with him if you play this while playing one of those vampire survivors type of games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

yo Mike Duncan might be one of the best history podcast guys out there, great stuff!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Top games I'm looking forward to finishing/playing in 2024:

Lunacid
Zero Ranger
Void Stranger
Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth
Persona 3 reload
Dragon's Dogma 2
Black Myth Wukong
Final Fantasy 7 rebirth
Apollo Justice Collection
Lies of P
Baldur's Gate 3
Rise of the Ronin
Octopath Traveler 2

This won't even be half the games I play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Top 3 Reasons to be Excited for Eiyuden Chronicle

#3 It's Suikoden 2
Suikoden 2 is an incredible game, so if Eiyuden Chronicle is Suikoden 2, that means it'll be incredible too

#2 You can hear me in the ending credits
I recorded some lalala sounds which are used in the ending credits song :)

#1 This shark

is your friend and party member