Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

weekly font posted:

Season 1 has the Tony Todd episode iirc and that one whips. I know theres lists of which episodes to watch but I’d recommend anyone just throw it on and settle in to episodes that grab you. Show good. I even like the Doggett years.

Tony Todd is in the episode 'Sleepless' which is a season 2 episode. Its pretty good and it introduces Krycek (I think). And yeah, the Doggett season have some really great stuff too. The mythology starts to stretch thin by season 5 and the main conspiracy is pretty wrapped up by the middle of season 6, so the 'new' mythology of the 6th extinction and super soldiers isn't nearly as compelling as the colonization stuff. But i love X-files so much and there are a lot of monster of the week episodes that rule all the way through the entire show (yes, even season 10 and 11).

I sort of miss shows that had actual episodes. Like, you can throw on Bad Blood or Clyde Buckman's Final Repose or Humbug for X-Files and they still rule even if you haven't seen everything before or after. Try doing that with most any modern show and all your doing is watching an hour of a 8-10 hour long movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I was mainly making the point that the X-Files is sort of like TNG that if you're already gun shy just sitting down and watching them in order isn't necessary the best approach. That said if you die and haven't watched like 100 hours of 90s tv even if it's a good show you'll probably be fine.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

enigmahfc posted:

Tony Todd is in the episode 'Sleepless' which is a season 2 episode. Its pretty good and it introduces Krycek (I think). And yeah, the Doggett season have some really great stuff too. The mythology starts to stretch thin by season 5 and the main conspiracy is pretty wrapped up by the middle of season 6, so the 'new' mythology of the 6th extinction and super soldiers isn't nearly as compelling as the colonization stuff. But i love X-files so much and there are a lot of monster of the week episodes that rule all the way through the entire show (yes, even season 10 and 11).

I sort of miss shows that had actual episodes. Like, you can throw on Bad Blood or Clyde Buckman's Final Repose or Humbug for X-Files and they still rule even if you haven't seen everything before or after. Try doing that with most any modern show and all your doing is watching an hour of a 8-10 hour long movie.

Hey now Fringe was pretty good! (For a JJ xfiles clone)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well now we know why they didn’t do the flash on the prime feed

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sigh. And I thought I could avoid watching this misery.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I had to watch that poo poo cause Michael Keaton as Batman….i just had to see it. Not in theaters or anything like that, just streamed it on hbo max.

It’s terrible and all the Michael Keaton parts are bad and kinda just embarrassing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GrandpaPants posted:

Sigh. And I thought I could avoid watching this misery.

just...don't?

I listen to a shitload a movie podcasts and I would say I only watch a third of everything I listen to. Just listen because they are funny.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
The Flash is painful to watch. Keaton’s scenes must’ve been humiliating to film for him.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

mweber posted:

The Flash is painful to watch. Keaton’s scenes must’ve been humiliating to film for him.

I still had to see it just because KEATON GOT DAMNIT!

But yeah, what are we even doing here

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well now we know why they didn’t do the flash on the prime feed

Is it a patreon episode?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gyges posted:

Is it a patreon episode?

Live online show, Feb 1.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Gyges posted:

Is it a patreon episode?

I had to check because I have most Patreon emails disabled, but it’s a digital live show set for Feb 1

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"If they reboot this then there will be domestic terrorism the likes of which have never been seen. An Oklahoma City a day!"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The movie absolutely should have been scrapped the moment somebody suggested MODOK. He exists for the marvel Vs capcom games and cartoons, you can't stretch a guy's face over a 3d model and call it good.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Deleter posted:

The movie absolutely should have been scrapped the moment somebody suggested MODOK. He exists for the marvel Vs capcom games and cartoons, you can't stretch a guy's face over a 3d model and call it good.

Surely Modok would be the ideal character for a lot of puppet work, he's meant to be a gross mutant anyway. The technology for a live action modok already existed in the 1990s.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The guys nailed it when they said Modok should be a Dick Tracy looking thing. He's a big craggy-faced freak with eye bags and stuff, not a relatively normal-looking face stretched out.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
MODOK would be cool as hell if they had leaned into the body horror/uneasiness of his appearance and made him actually unhinged and maniacal. Instead it was just a blurry bitmap of Stoll's face stretched over a wireframe.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They could have done it a bunch of ways that actually work good but they decided to go the route of grinding their CGI studios to dust instead and now they have one movie coming out this year and nothing slated for who knows how long. I like how it took a couple years of movies tanking to make them re assess their decisions.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just looked up a picture of modok from this movie after listening to the review and are you loving kidding me? I guess I didn't expect it to be, literally, the dude's face stretched over a wireframe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

explosivo posted:

I just looked up a picture of modok from this movie after listening to the review and are you loving kidding me? I guess I didn't expect it to be, literally, the dude's face stretched over a wireframe.

It was literally just that. And looks even worse in motion. It was shocking.

I almost never root for a movie to fail (because why would I give a poo poo?), but I was glad when Ant-Man 3 did. A series of bad choices were made, and Marvel really needed to know they were the wrong ones.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 10, 2024

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
:siren:The phone lines and email are open again for Listener Request Month through January 31st at 11:59pm EST:siren:

Usual rules, etc. apply. TOS is off the table for the Nexus because they're nearly done. Strange New Worlds is an option instead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SilentChaz posted:

:siren:The phone lines and email are open again for Listener Request Month through January 31st at 11:59pm EST:siren:

Usual rules, etc. apply. TOS is off the table for the Nexus because they're nearly done. Strange New Worlds is an option instead.

Strange New Worlds just had two of my favorite Trek episodes ever this season, so that's tempting.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1747068690313490444?s=20
I'm pumped because I remembered them saying in the past "we're not going back to Texas anytime soon because gently caress your state's government" which 1) I'm paraphrasing and 2) I fully agree with. Glad to get them back out here.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cael posted:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1747068690313490444?s=20
I'm pumped because I remembered them saying in the past "we're not going back to Texas anytime soon because gently caress your state's government" which 1) I'm paraphrasing and 2) I fully agree with. Glad to get them back out here.

Yeah this was really unexpected but cool that it's happening. Sucks the show is on a Wed.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

SilentChaz posted:

Time again to throw Shakedown into the request pile. A film that somehow manages to live up to its ridiculous trailer:
https://youtu.be/gCL6SQ8XD8Q?si=H_5jgH1VtdDEYpwD

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

A Fancy Hat posted:

The guys nailed it when they said Modok should be a Dick Tracy looking thing. He's a big craggy-faced freak with eye bags and stuff, not a relatively normal-looking face stretched out.

Just use the model from the Hulu show. have Human Actor Patton Oswalt voice him. If you change nothing else, bam, you just got back half a star.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Gotta check if SuperVan is streaming again to throw that at them again.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
anybody got the phone number?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

1-833-WHM-GANG

Called in Lifeforce for WHM and e-mailed in Walk Hard for WLM.

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016
I'm finally going through the Nexus because I'm watching ToS for the first time and they can either be the funniest or most frustrating things to listen to depending on how much the guys actually paid attention to the episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

I'm finally going through the Nexus because I'm watching ToS for the first time and they can either be the funniest or most frustrating things to listen to depending on how much the guys actually paid attention to the episode.

I know not everyone in here liked it, but I miss Bones being a fan of "classical music" like Kid Rock and the Beastie Boys.

"Ya gotta study the Classics, Jim Boy. I say, a Bawitdaba, da bang, da dang diggy diggy diggy, said the boogie, said up jump the boogie."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I love the guys, but the main reason I stopped doing Patreon is because of how bad "The Nexus" always was to me. Just one or two jokes, over and over.

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016
Yeah I dunno, the Bones stuff is entertaining most of the time, it's moreso when they miss very clear character motivation or a whole chunk of plot because they apparently walked away from the TV for 10 minutes without pausing. Or just make up dialogue that didn't happen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

Yeah I dunno, the Bones stuff is entertaining most of the time, it's moreso when they miss very clear character motivation or a whole chunk of plot because they apparently walked away from the TV for 10 minutes without pausing. Or just make up dialogue that didn't happen.

I have come to accept that due to the unabashed :2bong: usage they are totally going to miss things and one can only hope one of the 4 were paying attention when another isn't.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Listener Request lines are now OOOOPEN!
What does that mean, exactly? Well, it’s up to you to program our entire March Schedule! The way it works is you dial 1-833-946-4264 or in a more fun way 1-833-WHM GANG, and leave us a BRIEF message of one movie you’d like us to cover. Be sure tonclude your name and where you’re calling from to be eligible and that’s ONE movie per call.
So, what’s eligible to be called in? NEARLY EVERYTHING FOLKS. The 10 year rule is off the table, we just need it be streaming somewhere so that us and other folks can find it. I like obscure, probably VHS tapes as much as the next guy, but lets keep it digital here, friends. And just to be clear, the Phone lines are open for WE HATE MOVIES entries only, so it’s gotta fit that vague parameter.
Patreon Friends! We’d never forget you! You get to email us directly with your picks! Email
whmrequests@gmail.com to request:
- A We Love Movies episode, A movie that you love and you think we’ll love that would
make for a fun 2ish hour chat. Same deal as the WHM requirements, though lets be
smart about it and leave incredibly challenging atrocity films like Zone of Interest for a
less goofy podcast
- For Animation Damnation, we’re gonna need the name of a 30ish minute cartoon and
the specific episode you’re talking about as well as where to find it. If its streaming,
please tell us where and if it’s on Youtube or somewhere else include the link!
-
- The Gleep Glossary! Have a fun Star Wars character you’ve always wanted to hear us riff
on? Let us know! Just shoot us an email of the name of the Character in question!
- The Nexus! That’s right, we’re opening it up to any and all episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise or Strange New Worlds! That’s
exciting right! We just need the name of the show and the name of the episode you’d like to be covered. We're leaving off TOS because we only have a few episodes left to go within the regular run of the show, so no reason burning a request on those few eps.
- For all of the above PLEASE send us ONE EMAIL PER REQUEST, so, if you want to request
something for each of the four side shows that is four separate emails with subject lines
that let us know what you’re requesting, gang! Make it easy on us, please!
- Lastly, sorry NO Requests will be taken for MelR0210. We have to go in order there,
gang!
- Also ALWAYS include your name and where you’re writing from in those emails. We’re
not going to read your email address on the air and dox you, that’s not the kind of show
we are!
So that’s it! Get your calls and emails in now as these lines WILL CLOSE at 11:59 EST on January 31st! Until then, we will be accepting BRIEF phone calls for We Hate Movies episodes via 1-833-946-4264 (1-833-WHM-GANG) and for Patreon requests, we’re accepting emails via whmrequests@gmail.com!
THIS MARCH, YOU TELL US, WHAT TO WATCH.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Will this year be the year of Sleazebaggano (and Ninja Scroll)?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Will this year be the year of Sleazebaggano (and Ninja Scroll)?

And Sub Rosa for the Nexus.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I need to scroll back through this thread and try to remember what I wanted to put in the pot this year for Listener Request Month.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Same as last year: Ravenous for WLM and 100 Girls for WHM. If anyone has an AD or Nexus they feel strongly about I'm happy to double submit it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Submitted, Sorcerer into the WLM pocket.

I'm probably gunna watch a couple cartoons here in a few and see if there's anything I'd toss the boys way. I'm kinda thinking of giving them something good like Cowboy Bebops "Mushroom Samba". I think they'd have a good time with that.