Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I hope you weren't on Honour Mode but also that would be a very funny and memorable way to encounter that outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

This is why it's a bad idea to antagonize people who can cast 9th level spells.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
that was my very first interaction with her and i didn't figure out why it did that until someone reminded me wish is a spell

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Making a new character for a new run, what's your favorite genital, mine is Penis B.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just found out that you can talk Yurgir to death, so why do I feel sad that he put down the displacer beast?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CobiWann posted:

Just found out that you can talk Yurgir to death, so why do I feel sad that he put down the displacer beast?

Because if you get on his good side enough to talk to it and later him again, you realize he put the succubus spit on the dead spider and is drugging the displacer beast to be more obedient, because he views it as nothing more than a disposable tool.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

bird with big dick posted:

Making a new character for a new run, what's your favorite genital, mine is Penis B.

There need to be more vulva options. Minthara should have a landing strip

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Morrow posted:

The Gondians will still side with you if you save a lot, or maybe any, of them.

If you're struggling, try bringing a wizard/sorcerer who can cast haste and throwing that on a monk or rogue who can dash with bonus actions. Bonus points if you twin cast haste. One or two hasted characters is worth more than that sorcerer in terms of speed. One hasted character for each direction, the guy who goes south can grab Omeluum for a quick trip back. The sorcerer camps in the center, opens the doors there, and seals the southern doors once those two Gondians get through.

Potions of speed are tricky because they only last three turns and the last thing you want is to lose that fourth turn if you're not back yet.

opening all of their prison cell doors isn't too bad the bigger issue is that the gondians are stupid and will get themselves killed by the fish people once they got out

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mr. Maggy posted:

i'm like 25 hours in, but just happened to do something stupid

funniest moment was when she commands you kneel and la'zael was like "fking do it bitch" and you have the option of "wave politely" and my bard just smiled and waved at a literally god like a complete tosser

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Will a bard cast any spell with their instrument? Even if they multiclass? What I'm really asking is will I fire off Eldritch Blasts with a tasty riff if I multiclass in Bard and Warlock?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
anyway we agree bard is the best class right

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I'm not loving the city so far, although it might just take me a while to get my bearings like the game itself did.

It just feels like there are too many things happening right next to each other, feels messy. I keep triggering conversations through walls without even seeing the person. I suppose if I took my time and fine-tooth combed over the place it would be fine, but at this point in the game I just want to get on with the main story and I will do sidequests in another playthrough.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shard posted:

I didn't know they removed that scene with Mol. I didn't get those vibes at all.

I hope they re-do it in a way that seems more "evil manipulator and soul-stealer" creepy and less "Take a seat over there" creepy. Knowing that Raphael is manipulating a child into selling her soul gives you extra incentive to beat him to death with your monk's bare hands. Speaking of monks, I was very entertained that my 8 intelligence Fabio-looking monk could punch (Astarion quest ending spoiler) Cazador to death with his bare hands while he was in mist form. He was half-orc so I like to imagine it's a Warhammer Ork type thing where it works because he's too dumb to realize it won't.

I decided to ditch the warlock portion of my intimidate barbarian and dip into Rogue to get sneak attack damage that synergizes really nicely with reckless attack advantage on demand and the intimidate and deception expertise. Not quite as good as 18 charisma, but having Great Weapon Master immediately available with Reckless Attack means that I'm pretty consistently hitting for 2d6+15, which frequently means I do it twice a round because that one-shots a lot of trash enemies, and with Tiger's Bloodlust I can do 9-14 damage to three enemies and cause bleeding. Probably going to end up at 9/3 Barb/Rogue for the thief extra bonus action and the cunning dash. I never realized it before but everyone was right about level 5 being a big boost, and level 6 should be even bigger for her because that's when she gets an extra attack and fast movement since she's a level behind with the multiclassing.

Can anyone confirm that Phalar Aluve works with great weapon master when using it with two hands? It looks like by the description it should but I'm so used to games with a huge scope having buggy interactions especially this early in release. Call it Cyberpunk Syndrome.

As far as the Gondians go I managed to save all of them, but I was pretty high level so my monk with Crusher's Ring, Thief extra bonus action, and the bow that gives haste just unlocked half of them in a couple turns while also punching the nearest sahuagin to death with flurry of blows. I had Karlach as well with the thief bonus action so she could dash three times in a turn with the +3 barbarian movement so everyone was unlocked by turn 2 except for the mind flayer and he could teleport himself back.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Typo posted:

funniest moment was when she commands you kneel and la'zael was like "fking do it bitch" and you have the option of "wave politely" and my bard just smiled and waved at a literally god like a complete tosser

That's the second best dialogue option in the game. The best is "no, it's an owlbear egg, I just like it"

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Ya know. Thinking on it Barbarian is actually one of the best face characters on Honour mode even with low charisma since Friends is hard to use. You get a lot of Barbarian advantage dialogue options and even without that you quickly get Thurmaturgy giving you advantage on all intimidation checks.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bird with big dick posted:

I think the dragonborn donk is pretty funny

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thundercracker posted:

Ya know. Thinking on it Barbarian is actually one of the best face characters on Honour mode even with low charisma since Friends is hard to use. You get a lot of Barbarian advantage dialogue options and even without that you quickly get Thurmaturgy giving you advantage on all intimidation checks.

Having been through the game with multiple characters now, I think Larian balanced out the face character options really well. High Charisma will obviously let you breeze past the most common checks, but the most difficult extended sequences all tend to be Wisdom and Intelligence saving throws. A high Intelligence character usually gets an investigate option to lower their DC, and a Barbarian can literally shout their way past any problems. I think the only class that seems disadvantageous to use as your main character would be Fighters, since most strength checks aren't too serious and they don't get an easy out like Barbs.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Is it common to experience a massive performance hit in act 3? My game was running smoothly (after I upgraded to more ram) all through the first 2 acts, and even was handling the outskirts in Rivington just fine. Then as soon as I walked into the wyrm fort everything began to stutter.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Having been through the game with multiple characters now, I think Larian balanced out the face character options really well. High Charisma will obviously let you breeze past the most common checks, but the most difficult extended sequences all tend to be Wisdom and Intelligence saving throws. A high Intelligence character usually gets an investigate option to lower their DC, and a Barbarian can literally shout their way past any problems. I think the only class that seems disadvantageous to use as your main character would be Fighters, since most strength checks aren't too serious and they don't get an easy out like Barbs.

I'm on a Githyanki playthrough right now and I let Lae'zel use the Zaithisk and that poor girl failed every single save and now has permanent penalties to int, wisdom, and cha. And I won't remove them because she's never gonna eat a Ghaik worm :colbert:.

The int one at least is mostly irrelevant because I have her as an Eldritch Knight and she wears the int crown

Robo Turnus posted:

Is it common to experience a massive performance hit in act 3? My game was running smoothly (after I upgraded to more ram) all through the first 2 acts, and even was handling the outskirts in Rivington just fine. Then as soon as I walked into the wyrm fort everything began to stutter.

I get poo poo performance in the city but even before that my fps has never been especially high in this game. My pc is also like 5-6 years old at this point

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Man where do those penalties show up. I reckon she had permanent negatives in my tactician run and still killed everything that looked at her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Man where do those penalties show up. I reckon she had permanent negatives in my tactician run and still killed everything that looked at her.

I forget what they're called but if you look under her list of passives on her character sheet they should be there. They're minus 2 to con, cha, and int I think?

It says on them that eating parasites can get rid of them, but Lae'zel isn't gonna do that in my play

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I rolled a crit 20 to stop the machine on my durge I better check what good poo poo I got from absorbing its power!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I rolled a crit 20 to stop the machine on my durge I better check what good poo poo I got from absorbing its power!

If you put yourself into the machine and succeed on all of the checks you get to use mind flayer abilities as a bonus action instead of an action which is extremely powerful.

I'm not sure what (if anything?) you get for intervening to help Lae'zel when she's in there

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ginette Reno posted:

If you put yourself into the machine and succeed on all of the checks you get to use mind flayer abilities as a bonus action instead of an action which is extremely powerful.

I'm not sure what (if anything?) you get for intervening to help Lae'zel when she's in there

The same thing (you benefit), but she gets maluses.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I picked up Minthara from Moonrise using a mod so I want to check she's behaving correctly. At the moment she's behaving like a regular party member except that a. if I leave the Shadowlands she remains in camp cos she wants to focus on killing Ketheric, which I think is correct and b. if she dies-dies (as opposed to being downed, which she does do) I can't rez her, she's permadead. IDK if that's supposed to be the case. Also she doesn't have any listed quest associated with her.

Given that her permadying is afaict unintended does anyone have any idea how I might edit my save to fix this?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why can I use Black Hole more than once per battle? Is there something refreshing it somehow?

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Tae posted:

Why can I use Black Hole more than once per battle? Is there something refreshing it somehow?

You can use it five times from what I remember. It feels very overpowered but it’s fun to suck everyone into AoE.

(Endgame) The full slate of mindflayer powers you get if you go full mindflayer at the end is overpowered but probably purposefully so. The emperor (and Tav) say multiple times how much power they felt in going full illithid.

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 4, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

800 hours in and I just saw a new scene. I'm pretty sure I killed the dwarf in red but now I just walked in on him doing a red dragon scene with a victim. How do I keep missing poo poo. Love this game

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thundercracker posted:

Also this game really needs some kind of in-game level planner. I didn't even know fighters get an extra attack at lvl 11

I can see the argument for not wanting to overwhelm new players with too much information, but there is stuff that it really should tell you in character creation, like the fact that a bunch of races get extra spells and stuff at later levels just for being that race. Like it would be nice to know that if you pick Gith you get free triple-jump at level 3 and free misty step at level 5! Or that if you're a Drow you get fairie fire and darkness!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tae posted:

It seems to function like a concentration spell with a recast only it's not concentration. Lol

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Entropic posted:

I can see the argument for not wanting to overwhelm new players with too much information, but there is stuff that it really should tell you in character creation, like the fact that a bunch of races get extra spells and stuff at later levels just for being that race. Like it would be nice to know that if you pick Gith you get free triple-jump at level 3 and free misty step at level 5! Or that if you're a Drow you get fairie fire and darkness!

I think the big problem is that at lower levels there's a real sense of "Why am I even using this class" until it pops off later. Not sure how to fix that without some intrusive poo poo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Having a guest character you can control for a battle that's maxed out of their base class

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pillars of eternity 2 did it good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Am I missing something about pact of the blade? There seems to be little reason to hit things versus just blasting them.

Entropic posted:

Yeah I chose the tiefling that is tied to arcane magic and it gave me a spell to summon a sword... Abandoned run.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JBP posted:

Am I missing something about pact of the blade? There seems to be little reason to hit things versus just blasting them.

Yeah I chose the tiefling that is tied to arcane magic and it gave me a spell to summon a sword... Abandoned run.

Scaling and the extra attack stacks with martial extra attacks in non-HM.

There are fewer ways to scale the damage on your blasts compared to weapon attacks. What level you're at and which items are available will determine whether blasting or slashing does more damage. There's a robe in Act 2 which lets you add your Charisma modifier to cantrips and stacks with the invocation so you get 2x Cha bonus to blast damage. That's critical for blasting builds.

In all difficulties but Honour Mode, the blade pact extra attack stacks with the extra attack from a fighter/barb/paladin/etc. This wasn't really intended and it's "fixed" in HM, but getting up to three attacks is a ton of weapon damage.

edit: also, melee weapon attacks allow you to Smite if you multi as a paladin. Paladin + warlock is a pretty classic D&D 5E combo that works well in BG3 too. There are few things that can dump as much damage on a target as paladin smiting.

I'm not gonna do the math but I would guess that blasting is going to do more damage until fairly late in the game.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 5, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pellisworth posted:

Scaling and the extra attack stacks with martial extra attacks in non-HM.

There are fewer ways to scale the damage on your blasts compared to weapon attacks. What level you're at and which items are available will determine whether blasting or slashing does more damage. There's a robe in Act 2 which lets you add your Charisma modifier to cantrips and stacks with the invocation so you get 2x Cha bonus to blast damage. That's critical for blasting builds.

In all difficulties but Honour Mode, the blade pact extra attack stacks with the extra attack from a fighter/barb/paladin/etc. This wasn't really intended and it's "fixed" in HM, but getting up to three attacks is a ton of weapon damage.

edit: also, melee weapon attacks allow you to Smite if you multi as a paladin. Paladin + warlock is a pretty classic D&D 5E combo that works well in BG3 too. There are few things that can dump as much damage on a target as paladin smiting.

Yeah I had Wyll in that armour last time and blasts were extremely strong. I'll keep tinkering around. Maybe I should stick him into some bard or pally levels to ramp him up.

E: I suppose smites come out at warlock level?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah if you use warlock spell slots for smite it should be at the higher level

if you're not abusing the gently caress out of Hunger of Hadar definitely do that too. It's a great spell and combos really well with blasting, you knock enemies back into the Hunger effect.

Oh also, another thing you could do with blade pact is a Darkness-based build. There's the Devil's Sight warlock invocation, you could make a build based around casting Darkness and wading in to weapon attack baddies under the Darkness effect where they're Blinded and attack you at Disadvantage while you attack them with Advantage. There are quite a few items that work when Obscured. It's not like a super optimized build or anything but there are plenty of items to make it work with, I haven't tried it but it could certainly be fairly strong.

edit: you might consider a blade pact warlock 5 + paladin 7 build, especially with Oathbreaker subclass. You go all-in on Charisma as your attack stat and it also gives you the +saves aura. With Oathbreaker you get another +Cha as damage. Three attacks with Cha bonus x2 damage (x3 with the Diadem of Arcane Synergy), paladin Saves aura, a whole bunch of spell slots for Smite, then take the Devil's Sight invocation to mess around with Darkness if you want. Kinda thematic! And you can do it with heavy armor and even a shield if you like.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 5, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Maggy posted:

i'm like 25 hours in, but just happened to do something stupid

I had to redo the inquisitor fight for that, and I don’t regret it at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pellisworth posted:

yeah if you use warlock spell slots for smite it should be at the higher level

if you're not abusing the gently caress out of Hunger of Hadar definitely do that too. It's a great spell and combos really well with blasting, you knock enemies back into the Hunger effect.

Oh also, another thing you could do with blade pact is a Darkness-based build. There's the Devil's Sight warlock invocation, you could make a build based around casting Darkness and wading in to weapon attack baddies under the Darkness effect where they're Blinded and attack you at Disadvantage while you attack them with Advantage. There are quite a few items that work when Obscured. It's not like a super optimized build or anything but there are plenty of items to make it work with, I haven't tried it but it could certainly be fairly strong.

edit: you might consider a blade pact warlock 5 + paladin 7 build, especially with Oathbreaker subclass. You go all-in on Charisma as your attack stat and it also gives you the +saves aura. With Oathbreaker you get another +Cha as damage. Three attacks with Cha bonus x2 damage (x3 with the Diadem of Arcane Synergy), paladin Saves aura, a whole bunch of spell slots for Smite, then take the Devil's Sight invocation to mess around with Darkness if you want. Kinda thematic! And you can do it with heavy armor and even a shield if you like.

Love hunger of Hadar, I made Wyll a tome warlock last time on tactician. This time I'm trying to be more weird with classes like wild magic barb and "sub optimal" choices. I didn't know about the oath breaker bonus and it is thematic given the choices you make with him constantly. Thanks.

E: also using devils sight. I'll be able to deck him out in the +crit while obscured gear and I reckon that will break some stuff given my rogue was using this method via items for a while but it took too much setup versus always available stuff on other gear. Maybe he can be this risky ring man.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JBP posted:

Love hunger of Hadar, I made Wyll a tome warlock last time on tactician. This time I'm trying to be more weird with classes like wild magic barb and "sub optimal" choices. I didn't know about the oath breaker bonus and it is thematic given the choices you make with him constantly. Thanks.

Just be aware that breaking your oath can be a little bit tricky, and you can't respec once you do so. You have to reclaim your oath before you respec. So, make sure you've got everything set up how you like before you oathbreak as you won't be able to respec easily. It's the main downside to Oathbreaker.