Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's been 3.
  • Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, which is probably the weakest example because it's the most grounded, but Scooby and Shaggy and Scrappy seem to go to another world to deal with its eccentricities.
  • Scooby Doo and the Goblin King, where Scooby and Shaggy get more explicitly transported to another world to defeat the demon goblin king.
  • Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, where Shaggy is summoned by dracula to compete in a race and given the cheat power of being a werewolf I guess
The problem is that often when people get weirder with the premise that they're putting Scooby Doo through, they tend to leave Fred, Velma, and Daphne behind, and then Shaggy and Scooby as the silly comic relief characters aren't really good at carrying stories on their own. Even the weirdest of the newer movies try to keep things in balance by slowly ramping up to the weirdness.

It's more that this is being made in Japan by a Japanese branch of the company with a Japanese animation studio and a Japanese cast and crew (that presumably will be dubbed by American VAs eventually, but that hasn't really been announced yet), and it's going to be marketed to a Japanese audience plus weebs.

Nah Ghoul School wasn't an Isekei, it took place in the real world the titular school just happened to be out in the middle of nowhere(aside from the neighboring military school for human boys)

And yeah the whole "Red Shirt Shaggy" era of films was kind of funny with excluding the other members of Mystery Inc, though I've long suspected that Shaggy's one off girlfriend from Reluctant Werewolf probably was originally going to be either Daphne or Velma before they decided to turn her into an OC, shame for as much as Scooby-Doo likes doing callbacks to past stuff they mostly ignore the Red Shirt Shaggy films(indeed the most love any of them got was outside of Scooby-Doo entirely when the Ghoul School characters made a guest appearance on an episode of OK KO: Let's Be Heroes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Red Shirt Shaggy was also the Thirteen Ghosts version

it was a dark time

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes Daphne is there with red Shaggy. There’s never any explanation for why anyone is there or missing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isekai has existed in America for a long rear end time, it was just called stuff like 'another world' stories when it was John Carter of Mars

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have they ever done another Scooby show quite on the level of Mystery Incorporated (pretty much the only one I liked enough to watch all the way through) again for that matter or has everything afterwards not counting crap like Velma gone back to being episodic?

If the latter, is any show before or after that at least decent overall?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Isekai has existed in America for a long rear end time, it was just called stuff like 'another world' stories when it was John Carter of Mars

Hell, technically stuff like Dante’s Inferno and Alice in Wonderland could be counted as Isekai stories

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tron is an isekai

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

then again they also made a RWBY crossover so maybe DC is now where Scooby Doo used to be

Always has been

https://twitter.com/scoobyhistory/status/1256599732970979328

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blockhouse posted:

Tron is an isekai

Tron is a trapped in an MMO like Hunter x hunter

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I AM GRANDO posted:

Sometimes Daphne is there with red Shaggy. There’s never any explanation for why anyone is there or missing.

Mystery Inc explains that Fred was taking a year off at trapping camp

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this just happened, not entirely sure why

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1731856020069114340

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What a weird announcement. They really don't understand that people enjoy specific shows. Not just D+ shows.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t Spectacular Spider-Man a Sony production? Maybe they don’t like having to pay extra for it. If they’re coming for Greg Weisman shows, I hope Gargoyles is safe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, shows are getting removed from streaming to avoid paying royalties. There's plenty of examples of Max removing their own shows just to not pay, and then some of it gets licensed out to other streamers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Across the Spider-Verse is on Netflix right now, I feel almost certain they're just gonna put SSM over there

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, Across the Spider-Verse is on Netflix right now, I feel almost certain they're just gonna put SSM over there

That’s where it originally was even long after D+ debuted.

That said, a bunch of formerly Max-only DC material has also recently dropped on (US) Netflix.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The streaming services realizing that if Netflix doesn't pay for their backlog then that money won't magically appear from the ether.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Moon Girl returns in February:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/moon-girl-and-devil-dinosaur-season-2

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I guess a new What If is coming out every day.

They've been.. fine? Nothing really exciting.

The backgrounds are beautiful, and well painted, but the character models seem not so great. They move fine.

I don't know why they decided to give Happy Hogan a die hard. It was just a weird episode.

None of them are anything that I'd consider watching twice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was the previous What If? season any good for that matter? I never bothered watching it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I forgot the new episodes were every day. I caught the first one and really liked it. They did a great job of making it a noir and Karen Gillan's Nebula is always such a treat.

The first season had its ups and downs but overall was pretty good. I think a lot of it depends on how much the actors put into it, and some just aren't great voice actors. Hemsworth, Gillan, and Cumberbatch are all great though so any episodes where they're featured are pretty solid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Was the previous What If? season any good for that matter? I never bothered watching it

Hit-and-miss. I think the biggest problem with it is they just don't feel "different". Even the zombie episode is remarkably tame. Maybe it's because of the actors, maybe it's because the artstyle looks so... normal in order to make it look like the real people, I don't know, it just doesn't mesh with me.

Also I don't like that the episodes all tied together in the end but that's just a me problem.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 26, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having a cohesive plot sounds like it kind of defeats the point of doing a What If series to be honest

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I gotta say, I warmed up to What If on episodes 5 and 6.

Five had the most compelling fight in Marvel since, maybe Winter Soldier.

It's not often in Marvel Properties, that they're pinned down, overwhelmed, getting their rear end kicked and escaping by the skin of their teeth, and injured afterwards. Even when they've tried to do it in Avengers and Ultron, it never felt like that oppressive of a force. Peggy was also getting tossed around by Steve and did NOT have control of the situation.

Kahhori was just.. a great alternate earth episode. With a nice little ending to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching s2 of What If and did they like somehow not have the rights to Michael Douglas' face? Everyone else is pretty close but Hank is just straight up generic white guy face.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I finally got around to watching Super Crooks after having it recommended to me piles of times and drat that is premium super hero anime. Fun as hell and the intro slaps.

Also drat I loved Gladiator, strong confident openly out and eventually realizes his affairs are hurting his husband, admits it and comes out a better man.

TGG fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 2, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sebastian Stan seemed most improved in regards to voice acting. He was terrible in season 1 but was actually fine in 2. Also the 1602 episode was kind of weird since they kept the reveal except it doesn't really make a lot of sense in context.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Does anyone know if their are plans for a new Justice League cartoon?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WB seems pretty cutthroat right now so I wouldn't bank on one unless it was previously announced. And maybe not even then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Dang. Was hoping for something. Ah well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got a few details on the new Batman cartoon (but still no release date as far as I know)

https://twitter.com/Foreverheroics/status/1742272838671753468

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 5, 2024

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Larryb posted:

We’ve got a few details on the new Batman cartoon (but still no release date as far as I know)

https://twitter.com/Foreverheroics/status/1742272838671753468

Woah, what the heck is this going to be on? I didn’t know Brubaker did TV but sounds like I could actually give a poo poo about Batman for the first time in a long time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Woah, what the heck is this going to be on? I didn’t know Brubaker did TV but sounds like I could actually give a poo poo about Batman for the first time in a long time.

Amazon apparently, still doesn’t look like we have a release date yet though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know it's past the holidays, but after watching it the other day, if you haven't watched Merry Little Batman, you should make the drat time. It's criminally cute and good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Part 1 of the Crisis adaption is out now, is it as bad as the trailer made it out to be?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Probably, none of the new stuff has been good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the movie front at least (aside from Merry Little Batman which was great), the new Batman cartoon sounds interesting and My Adventures With Superman was fun (and should be coming back for Season 2 sometime this year)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I tried watching season 2 of What If but didn't manage to stay invested. My interest in Marvel stuff this year is just nothing

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Watched Crisis 1 and it just kinda ends. The climax was Barry running to prevent some worlds being erased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the Marvel side of things, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur returns next month:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rdsEpRzc4zE