Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was kidding lol, he might've literally thumbed his nose. Apparently even biting one's thumb was a most grave offense in some Italian cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1742940791444844958

UNCLE STEVIE IS COOKING WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Well according to wikipedia the middle finger has been in use since the early 1800s so maybe.

Here is a picture from 1886 of a baseball player flipping the bird:

So its probably that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

1 year, $10 mil apparently

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir that is ol Hoss Radbourne and it's the first The Finger captured on film

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The “essentially buying a low tier prospect when you trade him in July” signing

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

He pulled it off twice - the other as the OG Billy Ripken gently caress face.

Fifty-Nine in '84 is a really good read:
https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/0061825867

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's worth mentioning that the standards of what passed for journalism in 1905, where fact and fiction are concerned, were lower than the standards of random blogs today. Writers and especially writers hostile to their subject would think nothing of just making poo poo up. I'd bet my money Mathewson merely pushed the lemonade boy out of the way en route to the fracas, or something along those lines, and the Philly writer made the story a lot better in the retelling.

It ran both ways though. The New York press would give Christy Mathewson credit for everything all the way up to the sun rising each morning. You think it was bad with Jeter, you ain't seen nothin' till you've gone to the microfilm of the New York sports press of 1905-1915.

zoux posted:

I'd never seen that picture but my first reaction to it was "wow that guy looks like Ol' Hoss"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

He pulled it off twice - the other as the OG Billy Ripken gently caress face.

Fifty-Nine in '84 is a really good read:
https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/0061825867

OLD JUDGE cigarettes: Kids love em!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm honestly kind of shocked that was the best deal Bader had on the table.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm honestly kind of shocked that was the best deal Bader had on the table.

Why? He isn't very good and he's hurt all the time.....

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
a Marte-Bader-Nimmo OF should be really good defensively even if it doesn’t hit that well

we still need pitching though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tucker Barnhart is OFF THE BOARD.
Minor league deal to Dbacks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
well know that Tucker's deal is done that should really open up the market

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao the Cubs still owe Barnhart $3.2M this year.

In hindsight maybe it shouldn't be surprising Jed's not being trusted to spend any FA money this go around.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Was Tucker Barnhart a David Ross signing? I can't figure out why the Cubs picked him up instead of just playing Amaya as back up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They just didn't consider Amaya ready or reliable and like, I know this sounds weird coming from me given all my Hosmer/Mervis bitching but I kinda understand why? Amaya has spent his whole minor league career being injured and while he finally started hitting well above A+ in 2022, he managed to get into just 40 games. The Cubs catching situation going into '23 was honestly dire: a 35 year old Gomes coming off a 73 wRC+ season was your primary and there was no real viable upper minors depth besides Amaya who was coming off three straight injury-shortened MiLB seasons. It paints a picture of why they overpaid a dogshit backup like Barnhart and thought using an opening day roster spot to carry Luis Torrens was a good idea: they just desperately needed to build any kind of depth possible to make sure they didn't get marooned without an MLB-capable catcher.

All of which is to say, gently caress those cheap-rear end cowards for taking a poo poo on Willson and then letting him walk.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

Was Tucker Barnhart a David Ross signing? I can't figure out why the Cubs picked him up instead of just playing Amaya as back up.

Hope was, like all old dudes the Cubs sign, he'd get hot then flipped.

32 is old in catcher years right?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
fortunately it turns out yan gomes is cool, good, and our friend and no I will not look at his numbers thank you very much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cubs player involved in an MiLB move, you know what that means CMON IN GUYS *every chicago poster comes in for a HUGE cubsposting*

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that's fuckin right

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Cubs player involved in an MiLB move, you know what that means CMON IN GUYS *every chicago poster comes in for a HUGE cubsposting*

Yes

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
this is a cubspost

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can you imagine this thread when the Cubs actually sign Cody? Cause I can imagine it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sorry for cubsposting, time for a 45 page argument about shohei ohtani's contract

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oh no i made it worse

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

Can you imagine this thread when the Cubs actually sign Cody? Cause I can imagine it
The Yankees signed Cody……Poteet

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Yankees signed Cody……Poteet

This is a terrible thing to say, reporting

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zoux posted:

I can't wait to start merverting again!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

oh no i made it worse

One cannot make cubsposting better or worse, more or less frequent. It is a force of nature, an inevitability, a storm to be appreciated or weathered based on one's own temperament.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I can't wait to start merverting again!

I'm proud to be a Mervert and I won't stop being Merverted everywhere, all the time. I don't want to know what it's like to not be Mervini' 24/7

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Can you imagine this thread when the Cubs re-sign proven winner and four time Gold Glove winner Eric Hosmer?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

well know that Tucker's deal is done that should really open up the market

I completely missed the post above yours and my heart skipped a beat, only to be let down when I saw the truth of it

le sigh

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I’m Mervin’, Jerry! I’m a full blown Mervert!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AlbertFlasher posted:

Well according to wikipedia the middle finger has been in use since the early 1800s so maybe.

So its probably that.

Not just any baseball player. Old Hoss Radbourn.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bregor posted:

It's a fusilli Hosmer!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bregor posted:

oh you better believe he's (weird hand gestures) mervin

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

AlbertFlasher posted:

So its probably that.

The way his mustache makes it look like he's making an extra mean frowny face is killing me lmao.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

how do gang tags work, it seems like it would be beneficial if we could identify all the Merverts from the bad people. us Merverts already know, but it would be useful for the rest of you is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

When I heard the mother was detained I figured there was some blackmail scheme going on but I didn’t expect Wander’s mom to be in on it too. What the gently caress, everyone sucks here and the victim has been failed by everyone around her.

Here’s the full article from CBS Sports, it says this arrest stems from not showing up for that summons last week. He’s charged with commercial sexual exploitation of a minor for the act and money laundering for paying off the mother.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 5, 2024