Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm a weirdo and I like to paint the nooks and crannies of stuff because I will notice, and the only one who really cares about my poo poo is me so I try to at least do a good job. Some corners get cut in those spots but at least there's some small attention there

Yeah basically this. I've been poking away at some of the really awkward nooks and crannies on the redemptor dread, just because I know that I'll know.

The Two Thing Coats gun metal is really good, though, and it covers nicely, so its coming right along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Geisladisk posted:

Painted some fine upstanding citizens

Hell yeah

Now the hard part of finding at least 3 more 40mm models that you can use to not duplicate Accursed Torment sculpts (25mm ones are easy you can grab any weirdo from 40k or Sigmar)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

Now the hard part of finding at least 3 more 40mm models that you can use to not duplicate Accursed Torment sculpts (25mm ones are easy you can grab any weirdo from 40k or Sigmar)

gellerpox have four 40mm weirdos and many, many 25mm weirdos

alternately, you can see what you have kicking around your bits box, and just saw off pieces and replace them with something else. these guys are made from demon prince leftovers, then using torment leftovers to make different torments.

i wouldn't say it's an unqualified success. while they do have some different looks, they do still kinda have the same pose as the original, except maybe the center fist guy. but go ahead and dig into these models and stretch your legs, you could mix all kinds of crap in here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm a weirdo and I like to paint the nooks and crannies of stuff because I will notice, and the only one who really cares about my poo poo is me so I try to at least do a good job. Some corners get cut in those spots but at least there's some small attention there

It’s not a problem until you start painting vehicle interiors that you intend to glue shut

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Don't worry, you can skip painting the undersides of anything and various nooks and crannies and your poo poo will still look great from every possible viewing position that matters. The only person who is gonna pick up your dudes and look at them from the bottom or inspect the far side of tubes is you and only you.

I'm curious - do (serious) Painting Competition judges do this?

I know they scrutinise the minis very closely but I always wondered if they would look at the hidden bits as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if it comes down to it yes. but if you are painting for an award yeah dont ignore stuff, for table sure who cares.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I started assembling the stuff in steps because it makes it easier and faster some times i think. Dont need to worry about getting the tiny brush in there to paint the nooks and crannies without accidentally hitting anything if I just dont put on the arms, now I can slather the big brush across the whole torso

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Z the IVth posted:

I'm curious - do (serious) Painting Competition judges do this?

I know they scrutinise the minis very closely but I always wondered if they would look at the hidden bits as well.

I don't remember the exact competition, but I do remember seeing the grading rubric for a serious contest, and it included things like whether the person had painted out of the way areas. I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'hidden', no one is going to manipulate your miniature to check whether you painted the interior of a rhino, but it does include things like 'back of the shield' and 'underneath of of the horse'. If you are dealing with two (or more) exemplary painters who have both put hours into a figure, at some point you're just trying to find an objective way to tally up half a point to someone to make the difference.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're painting stuff like Angron or Magnus you would be better off painting their skin before slapping on their armour and painting that. In that case it's because most of the skin is hidden but there will be visible hard to reach spots that would be impossible to paint the details of with a brush.

But yeah you'd want to paint everything you can see and maybe more to ensure a continuous blend/highlight of spots that are partially obscured.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Silly question, if you paint in sub assembly with something like that example of skin and then putting the armor over it, will plastic glue still bond the pieces through the paint or do you need to use super glue at that point?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
youd want it bare plastic to plastic. and superglue eh you dont need. plastic weld is the legit way to go this is my opinion obviously, im sure other people who are current know better but just my 2c metal or resin superglue, but wiggled plasticweld will do a way better bond that wont just pop off when dropped (usually)

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
You need plastic on plastic for plastic cement to hold. Helpfully, plastic cement is an excellent solvent for acrylic paint. Plaint the whole thing, put a little glue (with a brush applicator) on at the contact points. Dab that off with a Q-tip or paper towel. Reapply plastic cement and then make the connection.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

this poo poo

https://www.amazon.com/Plastruct-Plastic-Weld-applicator-Bottle/dp/B00FDFWJD8

seriously. squish it a bit, wiggle it around and its essentially one piece if its plastic to plastic.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's just Tamiya extra thin without a fun applicator

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just liked it because i could apply at the seams and it would wick into the joint. if there is something cheaper im all about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i just liked it because i could apply at the seams and it would wick into the joint. if there is something cheaper im all about it.

Tamiya and, AFAIK, all plastic cement has wicking action. I bought some airbrush cleaner that is the same chemical in bigger bottle for cheaper.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I usually scratch up the paint a bit on both pieces with my hobby knife and brush away the debris then glue

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Usually I try to mask contact points with sticky tack, but when I forget, it's just

Professor Shark posted:

scratch up the paint a bit on both pieces with my hobby knife and brush away the debris then glue

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Word, sounds good thank you

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve also used blue sticky tack before for priming

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like super glue for those jobs, and use plastic glue to weld seams together

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's preferable if you either leave contact points bare or clean them before you glue; you can apply glue over the paint and it will work ok, but you're much more likely to get bad adhesion and have stuff pop apart later. You're much better off just doing two seconds of work with a hobby knight to ensure contact areas are clean.

Ask me about having to re-attach dozens of Saurus shields because I decided that was the time to spare myself some work after painting all the arms and shields separately!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve also used blue sticky tack before for priming

It's very good for stuff like irregularly shaped surfaces. Also a good way to mask areas for stuff like camo patterns that don't have to be sharp lines

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

How does proxying work exactly? I know that most normal people won't care and that GW stores and tournies say official models only. My field ordinance batteries are the official guns but have 3d printed proxy crewmen, does that make it illegal?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wrr posted:

How does proxying work exactly? I know that most normal people won't care and that GW stores and tournies say official models only. My field ordinance batteries are the official guns but have 3d printed proxy crewmen, does that make it illegal?

I couldn't imagine that disqualifying it, but who knows. If I recall GW once upon a time insisted that 51% of the model be GW, but I have no idea how you judge that. I do a ton of conversions and usually try to stay above 50%, even on major reworks. I tend to make my own conversion parts though, so that might be why I never caught any issues.

If a GW told me I couldn't use one of their kits I bought because I put some other stuff on there I'd probably have some stern words for them. Almost everything I have besides infantry has some percentage of either kitbashing or my own sculpting in it. The way I've always seen it is that I paid GW for the kit, and I'm using the kit, so they got their money. I don't see why they should care if I added some putty, plasticard, or bitz.

Who knows these days, GW really seems to have swept conversions under the rug. I haven't kept up, but I used to buy issues of White Dwarf if they featured conversions or conversion guides, I just don't see issues with even a smattering of conversions. Again, I've really not kept up with that so maybe they started encouraging it more?

edit: I doubt something with prints could get into warhammer world or whatever that huge event is called. I know they are beyond strict for that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Super glue was always my go to for the longest time, even with plastic kits. That is until the day I dropped a couple of minis on the floor and literally every little single thing that had been superglued on snapped off and flew into the empyrean.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I used super glue for most things in the past. These days I still use it, but only for arms and heads that I paint separately, bodies are assembled with plastic glue.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I use Tamiya extra thin for a lot of assembly, especially putting torsos together and the like, but limbs and heads I use super glue for because if they fall, I want them to break there because I can reattach that rather than risking an actual break in the model. Same applies for gluing models to bases.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At some point I stopped pinning models to bases out of laziness and just superglued them directly onto the texture paste I use for basing and I dread the day that I pay for my indolence when a bunch of dudes fly off their bases when dropped

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tamiya and, AFAIK, all plastic cement has wicking action. I bought some airbrush cleaner that is the same chemical in bigger bottle for cheaper.

Plastic cement can come in different viscosities so it doesn't always have wicking action. Tamiya's Plastic Cement (Orange Bottle and top) is thick and sticky, Tamiya Extra Thin (Green Top) is what will wick into joints.
Regardless of the brand the main ingredient is methylene chloride so they can be used interchangeably, I can usually get Plastruct Plastic Weld cheaper that Tamiya, but it has a crappy applicator so I just poor it inot my empty Tamiya bottles.
If you were working on huge models or wanted to stock up, you can also buy Weld-On by the pint, same ingredient but in a much bigger container.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

rantmo posted:

I use Tamiya extra thin for a lot of assembly, especially putting torsos together and the like, but limbs and heads I use super glue for because if they fall, I want them to break there because I can reattach that rather than risking an actual break in the model. Same applies for gluing models to bases.

Yup, same here. Plus if I ever want to make any bases fancier, it’s just a trip in the freezer to snap them off and do an upgrade instead of cutting them at the heel or whatever.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I've realized my impasse in the hobby is space related. I have no place to put completed works which leads to groups of models meticulously organized into semi-completed piles of shame & an evershrinking work space.

I've thought about display cases & ways of displaying/storing miniatures for a long time (years now), but I find myself a bit lost in the weeds now that I actually have to get off my rear end and address the issue.

I know the now discontinued Ikea Detolf display shelf was one of the top recommendations everywhere online, specifically when paired with extra shelves and shelf holders. My problem is I don't want to buy a discontinued product and the third party parts it needs.
Does the Blåliden (Depth: 12 5/8 ", Height: 59 1/2 ", Width: 13 3/4 ", Max load/shelf: 7 lb) have the same options for extra shelves/shelf brackets? I noticed it's not very tall, and I read the door is flush so it may need a riser as well if placed on carpet so the door doesn't drag when opening/closing.
Are there any other alternatives the thread can recommend?

This whole thing got me thinking about what the optimal XYZ dimensions for a warhammer display case would be for most. How much space is needed for a kill team, or a 1k/2k pt army? Is a square footprint the most economical? Or would a rectangular footprint be preferable? I don't know why but I was thinking of a 14"x8""x6" footprint for one of my smaller teams for a shelf or something.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Depending on how much you need you could do the 2mm plasticard here and double up.

https://www.amazon.com/LITKO-8x10in...079874a52e&th=1

That could work perfectly, especially if I could figure out how to carve the 63ish° angle the official GW bases have. At least I think that's the angle.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think 63 degrees might be a difficult angle to find. When I was younger I did a lot of small scale WW2 stuff and epic stuff. I wanted to base my epic stuff but wasn't very good at the really small scale terrain. So what I ended up doing is basing them on frame matte material. My father was an artist and we had a bunch of extra matting material and a cutter in our shop so I cut up a bunch of little forest green bases out of the matt that had a nice beige/off white color on the inside. It worked really well. So maybe a matte cutter might work for the plasticard. Failing that maybe you could could find a piece of wood, perhaps like basic floor molding trim and use that as wedge to brace the saw against and be really slow and deliberate with the movements.

As for storage, Andy from Andy's hobby headquarters has a bunch of great display cases, but they are aimed at larger scale models. But if you had a 3d printer or built out of plasticard some stadium seating style stands for you minis you could store a bunch in them. If you have a 3d printer and you are not determined to have every model on display, or perhaps want to store away the ones that are not painted yet this looks like a good product. I will print some off soon as see for myself.

https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/omni-2-modular-storage-case-2242

It is called the Omni 2. The Omni 1 is wall mounted displays you can 3d print for your minis. That being said, they are not the most space efficient they are more of a show off sort of thing, so the Omni 1 may not exactly meet your needs.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Not an answer for display exactly, but I really, really like sterilite stack and carry cases for stuff that is still in progress and army storage generally. They make good economical use of space and each shelf is tall enough to be able to fit a redemptor (on its side, but still). I also like that if I add on to an army, I just buy another pack and then have more shelves that I can immediately attach to what I have already.

Basically anything that isn’t fully painted, I have in these stack and carry cases (unless it’s really tall and can’t fit, like some AOS monsters). It really helps to make a space feel clean because I can easily drop stuff into a tidy box and then stack it easily in a closet or whatever until I’m ready to deal with it, and once I am, it’s all organized and good to go.

I haven’t done it yet but I am pretty sure they’ll be good for magnetizing once I do a little crafting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Demilich posted:

Does the Blåliden (Depth: 12 5/8 ", Height: 59 1/2 ", Width: 13 3/4 ", Max load/shelf: 7 lb) have the same options for extra shelves/shelf brackets? I noticed it's not very tall, and I read the door is flush so it may need a riser as well if placed on carpet so the door doesn't drag when opening/closing.

Ikea doesn't supply additional shelves/brackets which is a massive pain in the rear end. Also you're right about the riser.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I could probably finish painting something before converting another-

Oops I fell!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

I don't remember the exact competition, but I do remember seeing the grading rubric for a serious contest, and it included things like whether the person had painted out of the way areas. I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'hidden', no one is going to manipulate your miniature to check whether you painted the interior of a rhino, but it does include things like 'back of the shield' and 'underneath of of the horse'. If you are dealing with two (or more) exemplary painters who have both put hours into a figure, at some point you're just trying to find an objective way to tally up half a point to someone to make the difference.

That's fair and I think that comprises things like painting the chest behind the gun properly rather than gluing the gun in place and fudging it like most people would do.

I do wonder if they would check if you have lovingly given your High Elves underpants under their moulded skirts though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They should.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Need to check for correct shadows and light reflection too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Crossposting:

quote:

In the spirit of keeping some momentum going, here's WIP of the Redemptor I've been working on the last couple nights while I watch stuff with my girlfriend.

Primed, then airbrushed with Army Painter Greenskin because gently caress base coating by hand, the metallics with Sir Coates Silver from TTC, and then touched up where I made a mess of the green/didn't get a thorough enough coat with the airbrush (I was still learning to use it at the time). Still have the little detail work, hoses and whatnot, and his gun, and I forgot to paint his fingers, but he's coming right along. I'm thinking of doing Army Painter Rough Iron for his plasma gun with blue for the coils, just to make it stand out more against an army that's all green and black.

Pay no attention to my awful workspace, I'm working on a better one.