Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

but think of the sealanes that will open up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nothing risked, nothing gained.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bedpan posted:

but think of the sealanes that will open up!

i've already invested all of my 401k into MAERSK, Hapag and CMA, great opportunities for profit. get in on the ground floor yall

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Xaris posted:

i've already invested all of my 401k into MAERSK, Hapag and CMA, great opportunities for profit. get in on the ground floor yall

The only ground floor I'm invested in is at the bottom of the Laptev Sea.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

looking good

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Xaris posted:

if you havent read it, my favorite living sci-fi author has a great piece on the global shipping logistics network

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150209-the-network-that-runs-the-world

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

*Master Chief pounding on the table*

BLUE!
OCEAN!
EVENT!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

yeah it was a wild one. her podcast is good too. though of course its no Radio Ecoshock with its choice 90s style radio edits

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

skooma512 posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that my work cafeteria has orange roughy on the menu every week, a fish that takes 20 years before it can reproduce and live to 200 and thus is very easy to overfish, or that they're that they're probably lying and it's not even the fish they say it is.

I think I might send some emails about this before I leave this job. My ecology class from 2009 has prepared me for this.

You just reminded me that in the last year I've seen Orange Roughy at Safeway of all places and I'm 500+ miles from the shore

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

celadon posted:

the exponential improvements in consumer electronics over the last fifty years have conditioned the public to think such progress is possible in all scientific fields, and that if push comes to shove, we can see similar advancements anywhere. so the idea that "we'll figure it out when we need to" is pretty deeply wired into the collective consciousness, even if it is not true for many areas

As someone whose had tinnitus for 20 years, a condition that has plagued humanity for long enough that there exist written descriptions of it from 3500 years ago....

Lol lmao

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

When I got to the bottom of a pile of wood I stacked in August this week, hauling it inside, there were frozen mushrooms under it which had clearly grown during the rash of 40-50F weather we just had

maybe I should stop growing weed and grow shrooms instead, they seem well suited to this tropical, humid climate we're building here in Northern Vermont

it's been snowing and I think a lot of skiing is going to open up over the next 2-3 weeks, but that doesn't change the fact that it's ~10-20F warmer than usual.

Yeah, I saw some wild ones coming up on Monday in the Great Lakes. My coworker went to Whistler and couldn't ski cause there's no snow. All the plants are hosed, birds that shouldn't be here are, I can't imagine what's going to happen with insects, amphibians and reptiles. The trout are still jumping because the water is still so warm and ice fishing is a memory. Viva death.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Unless posted:

if you havent read it, my favorite living sci-fi author has a great piece on the global shipping logistics network

wait you guys own stuff?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

MightyBigMinus posted:

wait you guys own stuff?

me everytime i open the doomsday econ thread and y'all 40 something motherfuckers talk about your houses

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Communist Cop posted:

*Master Chief pounding on the table*

BLUE!
OCEAN!
EVENT!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Spaced God posted:

me everytime i open the doomsday econ thread and y'all 40 something motherfuckers talk about your houses

well the banks usually own them

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Still lmfao that scientist decided "albedo" was some serious scientific term. Lmfao nerd albedoing 70 in my f150, later dork

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MightyBigMinus posted:

wait you guys own stuff?

i own nothing but stocks, as God intended. portfolio up 15% today!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
thread title

quote:

Groundhog Day. Another Gobsmackingly Bananas Month. What’s Up?
04 January 2024
James Hansen, Makiko Sato, Pushker Kharecha

Abstract. December was the 7th consecutive month of record-shattering global temperature, driven by the combination of a moderately strong El Nino and a large decrease of Earth’s albedo. The El Nino will fade in the next few months, but we anticipate that the string of record monthly temperatures will continue to a total of 12 and possibly 13 months because of Earth’s unprecedented energy imbalance. By May the 12-month running-mean global temperature relative to 1880-1920 should be +1.6-1.7°C and not fall below +1.4 ± 0.1°C during the next La Nina minimum. Thus, given the planetary energy imbalance, it will be clear that the 1.5°C ceiling has been passed for all practical purposes.

Zeke Hausfather memorably termed the record September global temperature as “gobsmackingly bananas.” Subsequent monthly temperature anomalies have not been much smaller. These records coincide with a moderately strong El Nino, but they exceed expectations for even the strongest El Nino, if that were the only driving factor. Warming is also being driven by another factor, one that is ultimately more consequential: a large decrease of Earth’s albedo. In other words, Earth has become darker, absorbing more of the sunlight incident on the planet (Fig. 2). The increase of absorbed solar radiation (1.4 W/m2) is a decrease of Earth’s albedo (reflectivity) of 0.4% (1.4/340).[3] This reduced albedo is equivalent to a sudden increase of atmospheric CO2 from 420 to 530 ppm.

Fig. 2. Global absorbed solar radiation (W/m2) relative to mean of the first 120 months of CERES data. CERES data[2] are available at http://ceres.larc.nasa.gov/

Fig. 3. 12-month running-mean of Earth’s energy imbalance from CERES satellite data normalized to 0.71 W/m2 mean for July 2005 – June 2015 (blue bar) from in situ data.

We conclude in our Pipeline paper[4] that the decreased albedo is spurred by reduced atmospheric aerosols and enhanced by feedbacks. Given that NASA decided in the early 1990s[5] not to make precise measurements of the global aerosol forcing and cloud feedbacks, we are faced with a difficult task of sorting out how much of the increased solar absorption is aerosol forcing and how much is from feedbacks. The two major feedbacks expected to darken Earth as the planet warms are reduced sea ice cover and reduced cloud cover. The recent spike of absorbed solar radiation to almost 3 W/m2 (Fig. 2) may be related in part to the fact that it occurred during the season when solar insolation was rising in the region of Southern Hemisphere sea ice when sea ice cover was at its lowest point in the period of satellite data. Large variability of clouds, unforced and forced, complicates interpretation of anomalies, but spatial variations may help untangle the situation.

Feedbacks associated with ice melt are particularly important for reasons discussed in our Ice Melt paper[6] (that’s the paper blackballed by IPCC because it disagrees with IPCC about the imminent threat of shutdown of the overturning ocean circulations and large sea level rise). We find in that paper that freshwater injection into the ocean mixed layer by melting polar ice is already a significant climate forcing that acts to slow down the production of deepwater in the North Atlantic and production of bottom water in the Southern Ocean.

Moreover, this freshwater injection drives a crucial climate feedback that any lay person can understand. The freshwater injection – in the form of glacial meltwater and icebergs – cools the ocean surface creating a heat sink, as a large amount of energy is needed to melt the ice. This heat sink and cool ocean surface increase Earth’s energy imbalance. As shown in Ice Melt, this increase of Earth’s energy imbalance provides energy to melt ice faster.

It is possible to shut off this amplifying feedback by cooling the planet, but that can happen only if we reduce the present enormous geoengineering of the planet. This will require purposeful actions to cool the planet, in addition to phasing down greenhouse gas emissions as rapidly as practical. Fortunately, there are young people who are beginning to grasp the situation that they are being handed by older generations. We will write a paper in cooperation with enlightened young people from Finland,[7] Eric Rignot, and several other people discussing this situation. We intend to complete the paper this coming spring, by which time we expect to have additional data that test our interpretation of ongoing global change.

Figure 4 includes our expectation that continuing record monthly temperatures will carry the 12-month temperature anomaly to +1.6-1.7°C. During subsequent La Ninas, global temperature may fall back below 1.5°C to about 1.4±0.1°C, but the El Nino/La Nina mean will have reached 1.5°C, thus revealing that the 1.5°C global warming ceiling has been passed for all practical purposes because the large planetary energy imbalance assures that global temperature is heading still higher.

Fig. 4. Global temperature relative to 1880-1920 based on the GISS analysis [8],[9] through November and an estimate of the December anomaly using data of Fig. 1.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
this thing that has been universally predicted for a half a century happening almost exactly as it was predicted really is gobsmackingly bananas.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Yeah even I predicted this!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Predicted or not I don't like it and want to go back to blissful treat-coma ignorance

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

does this mean it’s time to buy a hybrid?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
it's time to enjoy your treats

:blessed:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ah well, i'm sure things will be back to normal soon

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
(i'm talking about the timeless void of eternity that existed, and will exist, infinitely once the universe is gone)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

oh wow that sounds really nice

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

does this mean it’s time to buy a hybrid?

Nah, SUVs are getting pretty efficient these days

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Just saw on the CBS evening news that the crab population off the coast of Alaska has flatlined suddenly. They did report that it was attributed to climate change so I'm sure something will be done any day now about this whole climate change thing.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

netizen posted:

Just saw on the CBS evening news that the crab population off the coast of Alaska has flatlined suddenly. They did report that it was attributed to climate change so I'm sure something will be done any day now about this whole climate change thing.

crabs don't contribute to moneynumber

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

netizen posted:

It's been like that since last winter at least though?

lol they're finally catching up

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I do kind of love knowing about problems months to years in advance of even the most hysterical news media. Gives me time to hyperventilate alone so that when people start talking about it I can laugh a bunch and tell them the latest update on the manmade horrors

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

skooma512 posted:

It's been like that since last winter at least though?

lol they're finally catching up

Car Hater posted:

I do kind of love knowing about problems months to years in advance of even the most hysterical news media. Gives me time to hyperventilate alone so that when people start talking about it I can laugh a bunch and tell them the latest update on the manmade horrors

I guess I'm late to the party on this one too, although I just assume everything is dying everywhere and that way I'm never too disappointed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't like crab so as long as the swimmy fish are fine its good.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
My favorite movie is Everything Dying Everywhere All at Once

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

evolution tends to independently create crabs everywhere, all of whom are crushed by the hubris of man

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sustained 1.5C+ average in 2023/2024! Only a decade ahead of the UN's current cope schedule. :toot:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Being the bearer of bad news does have a certain villainous appeal but if you're charismatic enough to land an anime monolog you probably don't have to wait around in the first place

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah snow crabs are fucken gone man

10 billion "missing" (lol) in 2022

snow crab season has been cancelled for three years in a row.

the most recent comprehensive population data is actually from late 2022. i'm sure things didn't get much worse last year, now to take a large sip of crab juice while i look at ocean temperatures in 2023...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

skooma512 posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that my work cafeteria has orange roughy on the menu every week, a fish that takes 20 years before it can reproduce and live to 200 and thus is very easy to overfish, or that they're that they're probably lying and it's not even the fish they say it is.

I think I might send some emails about this before I leave this job. My ecology class from 2009 has prepared me for this.

lmao

quote:

This species was first given the common name "Orange Roughy" by scientists in New Zealand in 1975 following the discovery of large aggregations during a deep-water research cruise.[11][12][13] A large scale fishery for orange roughy subsequently developed around New Zealand, and imports into the United States increased where it was renamed from the less gastronomically appealing "slimehead" through a U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service program during the late 1970s that identified underused species that should be renamed to make them more marketable.[14]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Unless posted:

they misspelled humongous. rofl :sad: