Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alan Smithee posted:

so I was looking at things going public domain and the Passion of Joan of Arc will be in 2024

I keep thinking of a movie that I feel like used it as a movie within a movie scene, like the characters were watching it in a theater? I don't remember a thing about it or even if I'm making it up in my head

I just recently saw The Legend of Billie Jean (which was shockingly great and I can't understand why I never knew it existed until recently), and they watch and make direct references to some old Joan of Arc film that's in black and white multiple times. I don't think they watch it in a theater though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my girlfriend is trying to remember a movie from her childhood. it's a 90s Dog™ movie. all she remembers is a scene (allegedly towards the end of the film) where, after the dog dies, there's a flashback to the dog sitting on a rowboat in a river with the kid owner. she saw it in a theater as a tyke and started crying at this scene

we've been scouring the internet all morning and we can't find a single reference to this loving scene. it would appear, from our google searches, that "dog on a boat" is a scene that's never been filmed. I'm convinced the movie doesn't exist. but if anyone has any inkling please help. save my relationship

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
could it be a show like Wishbone

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I just recently saw The Legend of Billie Jean (which was shockingly great and I can't understand why I never knew it existed until recently), and they watch and make direct references to some old Joan of Arc film that's in black and white multiple times. I don't think they watch it in a theater though.

I def didnt see it but dang Helen Slater looks good in this

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

could it be a show like Wishbone

She saw it in the theater so I think that's unlikely

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I keep thinking of a movie that I feel like used it as a movie within a movie scene, like the characters were watching it in a theater? I don't remember a thing about it or even if I'm making it up in my head

Going by the IMDB Connections page, it might be Zeroville, where it was watched in a theater and featured throughout.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

westborn posted:

Going by the IMDB Connections page, it might be Zeroville, where it was watched in a theater and featured throughout.

def haven't seen on that connections page, and since this seems fairly comprehensive I probably transposed my own memory of watching clips in a lecture room

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looking for a horror movie from either the late 90's or early 2000's. An alien or a mantis styled bug disguises itself as an attractive woman, lures men in with sex, then eats them during the act.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for a horror movie from either the late 90's or early 2000's. An alien or a mantis styled bug disguises itself as an attractive woman, lures men in with sex, then eats them during the act.

Species

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Are you sure you don’t mean the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode Teacher’s Pet?

Or maybe your memory combined Species and Mimic into one movie?

All of those are bang on in the middle of that time frame.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Species

That's what I was looking for, thanks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
People have a weird habit of remembering that movie wrong. The woman who invented myth of the chupacabra in 1995 mostly based it on mixed up recollections of Species

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mainly remember two things from Species

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Opopanax posted:

I mainly remember two things from Species

The train nightmare and what else?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1NBpVKWh_c

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

The train nightmare and what else?
Alfred Molina, obviously!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

kalel posted:

my girlfriend is trying to remember a movie from her childhood. it's a 90s Dog™ movie. all she remembers is a scene (allegedly towards the end of the film) where, after the dog dies, there's a flashback to the dog sitting on a rowboat in a river with the kid owner. she saw it in a theater as a tyke and started crying at this scene

we've been scouring the internet all morning and we can't find a single reference to this loving scene. it would appear, from our google searches, that "dog on a boat" is a scene that's never been filmed. I'm convinced the movie doesn't exist. but if anyone has any inkling please help. save my relationship

Could it be Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog? Iirc the dog doesn't die, and there is a scene where the kid paddles them both on a raft? I saw it in the cinema as a kid and my main recollection was him eating a rat. Or rabbit? Maybe both? They're trapped in the wilderness, anyway.

Meanwhile, my random movie I vaguely recall my mum telling me about that I am not sure exists: about a guy and a lady who shack up in a hotel (?) every year and have what was described to me as either a weirdly intense friendship or an affair. It was described to me as a comedy.

Asking because here in Australia there was a case where two people disappeared while camping and it was only at that point their families discovered they'd been having an affair for the past 15 years. (Note: the missing couple were murdered and somebody's been charged for their murders, but the movie described to me did not feature the main characters getting murdered).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

froglet posted:

Could it be Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog? Iirc the dog doesn't die, and there is a scene where the kid paddles them both on a raft? I saw it in the cinema as a kid and my main recollection was him eating a rat. Or rabbit? Maybe both? They're trapped in the wilderness, anyway.

we watched the scene in question and she swears that ain't it. but thank you for responding anyway :unsmith:

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

froglet posted:

Meanwhile, my random movie I vaguely recall my mum telling me about that I am not sure exists: about a guy and a lady who shack up in a hotel (?) every year and have what was described to me as either a weirdly intense friendship or an affair. It was described to me as a comedy.

Same Time, Next Year

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

almost there posted:

I got a tricky one but I would be infinitely grateful if I could find this movie /tv-movie again.

Okay, so the movie as I remember it was essentially a kind of absurd comedy (possibily German, definetely artistic, but maybe english also) about a Caveman who ends up becoming a Composer and themed itself heavily around Nietzschean/Wagnerian themes. I seem to remember a moment where the caveman poses like superman (knuckles on hips) after inventing a club or a musical instrument or something. I think I saw it on dailymotion.com but whatever I did see looked like it was on VHS. I saw it about 3 years ago, but the movie was older, I'd say it was probably filmed around the 80s or 90s. I seem to remember it being somewhat shorter than a full length film, maybe 60 minutes.

I have a hard time on the details though, it could have been about a composer who goes back in time before a performance and finds himself as a caveman, or something like that? I seem to remember the caveman conducting a orchestra at the end of it. There were some crude sexual themes throughout, too. Any ideas? (And before it gets said, no, its not that caveman movie with Ringo Starr).

It would be rad to see this one again!

so nobody knows my thing I take it? You'd think more goons would be Nietzschean (actually no, no you wouldn't )

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sir Nose posted:

Same Time, Next Year

Maybe also Billy Wilder's Avanti!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone takes a bunch of sticks and bundles them together to show strength in numbers but a pessimist ally takes the bundle and breaks them anyways. I thought it was one of the new Planet of the Apes movies but didn’t see it while rewatching them.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I remember that from the beginning of kurosawa's ran

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009
What was the name of the neo-Spaghetti Western that everyone here was hyped about this past year?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CaptainCourteous posted:

What was the name of the neo-Spaghetti Western that everyone here was hyped about this past year?

The Harder They Fall?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neo-spaghetti…

Manos99
Mar 17, 2009

CaptainCourteous posted:

Maybe BACURAU (though it's a couple of years old now), or - going back a couple more - LET THE CORPSES TAN?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Maybe also Sisu, which was farmer vs Nazis but quite neo ultra violent Western in structure?

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Neo-spaghetti…

Oh man, come back. Don't leave. I need you to approve of the name I casually assigned the thing that brought me here because I can't remember it.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Manos99 posted:

Maybe BACURAU (though it's a couple of years old now), or - going back a couple more - LET THE CORPSES TAN?

I'm 90% sure it was Italian and could have sworn I saw it discussed over the summer as a film recently released. I remember details like there being no clear protagonist and perhaps most of the main cast being dead by the end of the film.

Ape Agitator posted:

Maybe also Sisu, which was farmer vs Nazis but quite neo ultra violent Western in structure?

Definitely not but thanks for the reminder. I must have been given that trailer as an ad 200 times but still somehow forgot it.

CaptainCourteous fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 7, 2024

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Opopanax posted:

The Harder They Fall?

Nah, though I had no idea that was Italian-made. Neat.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Is it any of the 22 films listed on Wikipedia under the category "Western films of the 2020s"?

Possibly Los Colonos (2023):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_hcR2tHOk

rollick fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 7, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not a movie but a sketch comedy show segment where a scientist makes a machine that’ll turn you into a cool guy, the first two white scientists go in and come out as black guys, the third scientist goes in and comes out wearing sunglasses.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That's from the show The Birthday Boys.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I recently read about a movie special effect that was done by making a surgical incision in the actor's cheek and running a cable out through their mouth, and I'm trying to remember what it was from.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

rollick posted:

I recently read about a movie special effect that was done by making a surgical incision in the actor's cheek and running a cable out through their mouth, and I'm trying to remember what it was from.

Was it the video for Rammstein's Ich tu dir weh?

https://youtu.be/qA7Gg2b1V60?si=kZk4A86X38SFh2eA

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 10, 2024

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Deathlove posted:

Was it the video for Rammstein's Ich tu dir weh?

https://youtu.be/qA7Gg2b1V60?si=kZk4A86X38SFh2eA

Yes it was, thanks! I was getting mixed up with a story from David Lynch's Dune, where he wanted to do something similar with the German guy who played Leto, but couldn't get him to agree to it.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I made a post about this movie with no success to reddit last year, hoping to have better luck here.

I watched this movie on TV when I was visiting Taiwan most likely in the early 2000's. The last time I visited Taiwan was 2012, and this was extremely likely to be in the 2002 - 2005 range if I had to guess.

According to my parents, a movie in this range of time was very likely to either be Taiwanese or Hong Kong in origin, although thinking about it I feel like its more likely to be HK in origin? When I watched the movie, it had both chinese and english subtitles, which I believe is more indicative of HK films that would be on TV.

The basic conceit of the movie are a group of salarymen who discover some kind of invisible ink that they can print on the backsides of cards/mahjong tiles/other game pieces that allow them to see it if they were a special set of glasses. One of the characters points out that this would be a hard sell, as they do not normally wear glasses, but they also develop a set of contacts that you can wear that will also let you see the printed ink. The only downside of the contacts is that if you are ever in a room that is completely dark, your eyes would glow green.

The movie is primarily a comedy, and the above green eyes lead to much comedy. There are two scenes I vividly remember from the movie. The first is the two main characters playing Mahjong with their boss (and I think his wife). Obviously, they are cleaning up, but at some point, because they have too many power plugs plugged into the wall at once, it causes a short and all the lights go out. The boss and his wife are whispering to each other like "What the hell, are they possessed?" when they see the two of them obliviously looking on with glowing green eyes. Then when they figure out what happens they actually do act possessed in an attempt to play of what happened.

The other scene I remember is the final scene of the movie. The Boss (who is now in on it) has printed the ink on the backs of playing cards, and is excitedly shuffling the cards up and calls the two main characters into his office. He makes a bet with them to pick the highest card out of the pile of cards in front of him. The main characters reach over and pull his glasses off and throws them into a glass of water nearby, basically saying "Come on man, no more games". The boss apprehensively picks a card and is excited to find its a King. The main characters then pick a card, and find that its an Ace. As they are walking away, the boss character draws the shades and shouts "Hold it!" and the characters eyes are revealed to be glowing green. Roll credits.

I have exhaustively searched google for this (and funnily enough my reddit thread seems to be in the google results now) and any help would be appreciated for this.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

God of Gamblers (1989) sounds Iike it might be it based on the wikipedia plot summary... Although maybe stuff with special glasses and contacts for this kinda cheating is more common than I realize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
So I should've mentioned this in my post, the God of Gamblers series was suggested to me in the reddit thread but I'm 99% sure its not it. I watched some clips from the movie and the vibe is completely different. The wikipedia plot summary doesn't mention the office lifestyle at all, and overall seems to be a lot more "extra" than the movie I have in mind.