Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Just got out of The Boy and the Heron and I really don’t know what happened in that movie or what I thought about it. I know it begins beautifully, but it might’ve lost me at some point in the fantasy world. But maybe it didn’t? The vibes are very strong throughout. I just don’t know.

I’m in the market for an opinion about this movie. I’ll take the first one that’s on offer!

E: but I do know that This Side of Paradise was written by a talented 23-year-old and boy does it feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

From what I remember This Side of Paradise sold well but got reamed by the critics causing Fitz to try to come out swinging with his next book, The Beautiful and the Damned. The only work of his I've read, and a decent work but one that is incredibly obvious. The work is about a lazy, inherited wealth lad falling into love and ruin with a woman, in the second chapter he lays around reading Sentimental Education, a vastly superior work with near identical themes. The whole thing is like that
People didn't like that one, now it's a sort of iykyk work that some consider pretty good.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I loved The Boy and the Heron. Best I can describe it is a feature length therapy session for the director, who believed it to be his last film. Just like the film before it. He might make another one, turns out. Also birds are funny.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Menu IS obvious but I found the performances by pretty much everyone elevated it quite a bit. Hoult is such a good fuckboi

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is easily the worst of the movies you mentioned imo. drat what a dull, obvious movie

:shrug: I dug it. But I also really like Ralph Fiennes, movies with title cards and liked a few seasons of Chef's Table before it felt stale. Mixing the Chef's Table aethestic with a glorified slasher plot is some good popcorn time to me. Obvious, sure, but it was fun to see what the next dish would entail and I laughed when they went full in on the over-the-top Achatz tribute. Appreciated that they started with stuff that you're like "sure, could see a place doing this", like sauces w/o bread. Only to notch it up each dish until at the end they're dressing the guests with absurd chocolate bar shawls and big marshmallow helmets. If nothing else, they clearly had some fun with it.

Weakest part is the combat scene, but appealing to the crazy man's long dead joy of cooking to find mercy was cute. Lesser movie would have her poison him or something.

Assuming you haven't seen "Fool's Paradise" if you think that, which, good. Don't see it. Probably the most disappointing use of what was a decent idea and lead actor for it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2024

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Sourdough Sam posted:

I loved The Boy and the Heron. Best I can describe it is a feature length therapy session for the director, who believed it to be his last film. Just like the film before it. He might make another one, turns out. Also birds are funny.

Thanks, I’ll take it. Five stars! A masterpiece! Birds!

Lobster Henry fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 4, 2024

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lobster Henry posted:

Just got out of The Boy and the Heron and I really don’t know what happened in that movie or what I thought about it. I know it begins beautifully, but it might’ve lost me at some point in the fantasy world. But maybe it didn’t? The vibes are very strong throughout. I just don’t know.

I’m in the market for an opinion about this movie. I’ll take the first one that’s on offer!

E: but I do know that This Side of Paradise was written by a talented 23-year-old and boy does it feel like it.

I have a different read on this film than the prevailing one that it’s a career retrospective for Miyazaki.

It’s worth noting that the Japanese title for the picture is “How Do You Live?”, in reference to a Japanese children’s book that was heavily censored during WWII. That question, how do you live, reverberates throughout the film: how do you live in an unacceptable world, when everyone around you is complicit and the status quo is lethal?

Rather than being a movie that muses about creation, the central concern of Boy and the Heron is the necessity of righteous destruction. At the start, inter-imperialist warfare claims the life of the main character’s mother. His father remarries to his mother’s sister and continues his work perpetuating the war machine; the Zero fighter planes are literally carried home and laid on the protagonist’s doorstep. Amidst the inner turmoil the boy experiences from this hypocrisy and savagery, another world emerges, one where he can glimpse his late mother. It’s a world that was created by someone who learned so much that it rendered him unable to coexist with our world anymore, a position similar to the protagonist’s.

But the fantasy world is unbalanced, cruel, propagates itself unnaturally, and the protagonist refuses to perpetuate it. After, the boy returns to our own world. When asked what he’ll do from there, he commits to trying to reconnect and establish stronger bonds with his friends and loved ones, rejecting the despondence and alienation that governed his relationships previously.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have a different read on this film than the prevailing one that it’s a career retrospective for Miyazaki.

It’s worth noting that the Japanese title for the picture is “How Do You Live?”, in reference to a Japanese children’s book that was heavily censored during WWII. That question, how do you live, reverberates throughout the film: how do you live in an unacceptable world, when everyone around you is complicit and the status quo is lethal?

Rather than being a movie that muses about creation, the central concern of Boy and the Heron is the necessity of righteous destruction. At the start, inter-imperialist warfare claims the life of the main character’s mother. His father remarries to his mother’s sister and continues his work perpetuating the war machine; the Zero fighter planes are literally carried home and laid on the protagonist’s doorstep. Amidst the inner turmoil the boy experiences from this hypocrisy and savagery, another world emerges, one where he can glimpse his late mother. It’s a world that was created by someone who learned so much that it rendered him unable to coexist with our world anymore, a position similar to the protagonist’s.

But the fantasy world is unbalanced, cruel, propagates itself unnaturally, and the protagonist refuses to perpetuate it. After, the boy returns to our own world. When asked what he’ll do from there, he commits to trying to reconnect and establish stronger bonds with his friends and loved ones, rejecting the despondence and alienation that governed his relationships previously.

I think this coexists with the career retrospective reading

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Lobster Henry posted:

Thanks, I’ll take it. Five stars! A masterpiece! Birds!

I've been listening to the soundtrack at work. It's interesting how the real world has mostly understated piano themes. The fantasy world is more complex. The music is very beautiful but also uneasy throughout like the fantasy world is barely being held together. The old man's world is dying because of his obsession. He wants to pass it on to the kid, but the kid is so acquainted with the horrors of reality that he sees the escapism for what it really is.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This all makes Saltburn sound like a worse version of Society (1989, d.p. Rick Fichter).

Way worse

E: the closing scene song got stuck in my head, I hadn't heard that song since I was like twelve at a school dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAx6mYeC6pY

The song and video is a better told same story

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 4, 2024

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I think this coexists with the career retrospective reading

Yeah, I agree with that; there’s certainly no denying that referential imagery features throughout the movie. But I think that this read speaks to the film more completely, and is also more valuable for the audience, then the self-reflective aspect.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Good post.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thank you, this is really interesting stuff. A lot it didn’t come into focus for me, unfortunately. Like, for example, the Tower Master seemed so thinly characterised that I couldn’t attach a lot of weight to the idea of “malice” that seemed so important in the end. But it sounds like I could stand to read some more about the film, mull it over, and then try a second watch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lobster Henry posted:

Thank you, this is really interesting stuff. A lot it didn’t come into focus for me, unfortunately. Like, for example, the Tower Master seemed so thinly characterised that I couldn’t attach a lot of weight to the idea of “malice” that seemed so important in the end. But it sounds like I could stand to read some more about the film, mull it over, and then try a second watch.

It didn’t resonate with me either.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I agree with that; there’s certainly no denying that referential imagery features throughout the movie. But I think that this read speaks to the film more completely, and is also more valuable for the audience, then the self-reflective aspect.

Right it’s definitely a mix and draws upon his own life (father worked in a war factory, mother died when he was young). But to choose to set it during the war and to include imagery like the pelicans fighting to eat souls definitely opens up to more general readings also.

I saw it as an acceptance that there is no escape from tragedy and misfortune in life. The tower master tried to leave and create this ideal word, but we see past failures like the pelicans brought over trapped on the island. And then the parakeet army is now taking over the world, eating others. And finally Mahito chooses to save his new step mother and go back with her.

Bad things will happen, then you gotta rebuild.

It’s an extension of themes from the wind rises. Also pairs nicely with Godzilla minus one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Have you people ever considered that in Star Wars 6: Newer Hope (2015, d.p. Dan Mindel) the famous heartthrob Oscar Isaac plays Poe Dameron but in the action classic Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) Nicolas Cage née Coppola plays Cameron Poe. Dameron is a pilot and Cameron spends almost all of Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) an airplane. Furthermore Isaac also starred in Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) but the villains of Star Warses 6 through 8 is Kyle Lauren played by Adam Driver who is also Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) and sings a song with Issac where they, and boy wonder Justin Timberlake, plead to be the soon-to-be-dead President John Fitzgerald Kennedy to not send them into outer space which where Star Wars, by nature, generally take place. Additionally Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) is based on the life of folk music legend Dave Van Ronk. Ronk was of allegedly Dutch heritage. The Dutch word for "father" is Vader. Darth Vader is a space samurai in a Star War who is famously a father and Adam Drive plays his grandson and colleague.

How deep does the rabid hole go people
?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Is Godzilla minus one worth watching?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

therattle posted:

Depends on what value you place on thicc boys destroying Japan and also the toll war has on individuals

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

It's quite good if you're into heavy melodrama about war, loss, love, and the true meaning of family and also a giant nuclear lizard monster destroying Tokyo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

therattle posted:

It's a reflection on the Japanese response to losing WW2, the changing nature of post-war Japanese society, Japan's relationship with its citizens, and post-war family and friendship told by a person who wasn't alive to experience any of it.

It also has a big fuckin' radioactive dinosaur who everybody has to deal with.

I thought it was very good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Depends on what value you place on thicc boys destroying Japan and also the toll war has on individuals

Lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Have you people ever considered that in Star Wars 6: Newer Hope (2015, d.p. Dan Mindel) the famous heartthrob Oscar Isaac plays Poe Dameron but in the action classic Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) Nicolas Cage née Coppola plays Cameron Poe. Dameron is a pilot and Cameron spends almost all of Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) an airplane. Furthermore Isaac also starred in Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) but the villains of Star Warses 6 through 8 is Kyle Lauren played by Adam Driver who is also Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) and sings a song with Issac where they, and boy wonder Justin Timberlake, plead to be the soon-to-be-dead President John Fitzgerald Kennedy to not send them into outer space which where Star Wars, by nature, generally take place. Additionally Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) is based on the life of folk music legend Dave Van Ronk. Ronk was of allegedly Dutch heritage. The Dutch word for "father" is Vader. Darth Vader is a space samurai in a Star War who is famously a father and Adam Drive plays his grandson and colleague.

?

This is what they teach you at university.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Boy and The Heron isn't my favorite miyazaki movie.

but as a 'for real, this is my last one' farewell piece, its a perfect film to end his career

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is A Boy and His Heron a sequel to A Boy and His Dog?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Do comedy specials count as movies? Because if so... I've got little to nothing for you.

Dave Chappelle has one out. He takes a break in the middle of a less than one hour performance to smoke a cigarette. I don't mean that he pauses for a moment to light one up and then talks to the audience while smoking. I mean that there's a 'We'll be right back in a few minutes after I've gone outside and gotten some nicotine in me' cut. Yeah.

Rob Schneider released Woke Up in America, where the witty gentleman does the very brave and unique thing of calling out progressive cultural shifts. Hard hitting, clever commentary includes suggesting that if you have junk you're a dude and if you don't have junk you're a chick. Apparently. This one I haven't seen and am obviously not going to.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Based on the above Godzilla Minus One seems worth watching, thanks.

Azhais posted:

So is A Boy and His Heron a sequel to A Boy and His Dog?

No, it’s the sequel to Joy Story: Joy and Her Heron (2019)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's a reflection on the Japanese response to losing WW2, the changing nature of post-war Japanese society, Japan's relationship with its citizens, and post-war family and friendship told by a person who wasn't alive to experience any of it.

It also has a big fuckin' radioactive dinosaur who everybody has to deal with.

I thought it was very good.

You had me til the dinosaur 😬

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We know about Chappelle and Brewer, but how are the other two half baked guys doing? I hope Scarface hasn’t fallen off the deep end.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jay Rust posted:

You had me til the dinosaur 😬

understandably not everyone is into that sort of dreary social realism

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lobster Henry posted:

That’s a mysterious moment, for sure. Mahito indicates that the scar on his head proves that he can’t set the world right. It’s the scar that he got from a shocking incident earlier in the film, when he bludgeons himself in the head after being beaten up by bullies at school.

I don’t totally grasp what’s meant by that, either. It seems like it must mean more than just “I am as guilty as any and cannot become God,” given that it’s directly tied to that earlier event, but I don’t know what you are supposed to read from that. I’m not sure I completely understand his original self-mutilation, for that matter. Maybe it’s underwritten there. Maybe I just am not seeing it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

?

Yes but what about the cat .

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cat is Chewbacka

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is oscaar isaac really that much of a heaartthrob? I always put him in the joaquin phoenix category

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bright Bart posted:

Do comedy specials count as movies? Because if so... I've got little to nothing for you.

Dave Chappelle has one out. He takes a break in the middle of a less than one hour performance to smoke a cigarette. I don't mean that he pauses for a moment to light one up and then talks to the audience while smoking. I mean that there's a 'We'll be right back in a few minutes after I've gone outside and gotten some nicotine in me' cut. Yeah.

Hope he gets lung cancer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GateOfD posted:

Boy and The Heron isn't my favorite miyazaki movie.

but as a 'for real, this is my last one' farewell piece, its a perfect film to end his career

In the boy and heron thread i compared it to The Tempest because it preemptively depicts the end of ghibli studio much like how Prospero is an autobiographical depiction of Shakespeare retiring and proclaiming anime was a mistake

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Boy and Heron predicts the end of Ghibli considering Miyazaki is easily the least talented director in their stable.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I saw the Pixies once at a festival and Kim Deal lit a smoke mid set and the crowd went wild. I didn't know that was a signature of hers but apparently it is

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think Boy and Heron predicts the end of Ghibli considering Miyazaki is easily the least talented director in their stable.

Holidays can’t chill these hot takes.

Or you talking Goro

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I saw the pixies live and Frank had to take a break midset to catch his breath, dude looked like he just ran a marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Guns N Roses did the smart thing to give their 61 year old frontman a break on their three hour live show: Slash absolutely rips apart an awesome guitar solo while Axl disappears (I assume to a couch where he's given glacial waters).