Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

The GFX line seems to successful, since it's a reasonably priced way to get a larger sensor with a good variety of lenses. Overall though, Instax is like over 50% of Fuji's imaging business these days.

The GFX series is incredibly well loved by professional portrait and product photographers. Add that it's affordable, on par with say the A7r IV, and it's not hard to see why.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

My X-T2 came with the 23mm f/2 and for about a year it was the only lens I had. It wasn't until I got the 16-55 that I realized I don't really like shooting wide angle. I've read up on how to take advantage of wider angles, but I've very rarely taken a photo with it that I'm really happy with.

I have the 16-55/2.8 and the 50-140/2.8, and the 50-140 gets way more use, though my most used lens is the 56/1.2 according to my primary lightroom catalog (which only has keepers in it).

I personally prefer to use my Ricoh GR III for my own wide angle photography but that's.. for lack of a better way to explain, because it's size means it gets used differently. Sadly the shutter is probably going to die soon based on my history with the GR II (rolled over 150k last month) and it might just get replaced with a Fuji 18/2 and 35/2 since we might get a new X-Pro soonish.

I feel like amazing wide angle photography requires you to be able to take advantage of unorthodox angles, ground/hip level shots, etc, to really shine, and the only portraiture (besides random kid photos) I really do with the GR III for example is close up high contrast flash photography, but that's a whole derisive form/aesthetic to itself that only works (for me at least) in art/fashion, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think one of the reasons for me moving away from wide angle stuff on my big camera is it's an area where my phone fills those rolls more conveniently, having a built in wide and ultrawide camera. Most of what I used to use my wide lenses for can be adequately done on the phone, leaving the big camera wide angle stuff a bit niche. If my phone covers the 12-24ish area adequately maybe I should try a 50 equiv. Someone should invent a 35mm-50mm equivalent lens that just toggles between the two focal lengths.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
That kinda exists in the Sigma 18-35mm.

I wonder if sigma will ever re-release that on mirrorless.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The Fuji GFX 100 ii is $7,499 for the body. Is that really considered affordable in 2023? I don’t buy medium format, so maybe that’s a good price, but that seems to be in Leica territory.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For medium format that's a competitive price. Affordable like the A7r IV? Hell no.

The GFX 50 is a mere $4500k which is still a huge price tag but I guess it's closer to reality.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Brrrmph posted:

The Fuji GFX 100 ii is $7,499 for the body. Is that really considered affordable in 2023? I don’t buy medium format, so maybe that’s a good price, but that seems to be in Leica territory.

Well, usually the affordability argument also leans on comparisons against other product/studio photographer choices like Hasselblad.

The GFX series is trying to be professional gear charging prosumer prices.

I own a GFX and it takes some of my favorite photos, especially of wider angle shots. I’d buy it again.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
My brain was definitely using the GFX 50S II as a basis for comparison there, but I just noticed it finally got moved to discontinued last month.

The argument is less good at $7500 but the system has fans (e.g. rufius there) and I have rented a GFX 50 for photography work and would buy a GFX if there was more demand in my area that wasn't met with my X-pro3, but the reality is that I live in a mid sized city and the available commercial work isn't often beyond X-pro3 in need.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I would love to try a 100 megapixel camera. Sounds like fun.

The 50mp medium format never made sense to me since the full frame cameras like the D850 approach that in resolution.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

The 50mp medium format never made sense to me since the full frame cameras like the D850 approach that in resolution.

It's about sensor size, really. You can get 50MP or so in a cell phone these days. I've owned a GFX (50R) and while it's a close call I think it outperforms the Z7 by some margin. That said I sold my GFX setup since I wanted to have a single system, at the time I was using F-mount, Z-mount, m43 and GFX bodies and it was just too much poo poo to keep track of. 100% Z now (with some adapted lenses) and it's a great compromise IMO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't imagine the pain of editing 100MP files, the 46MP ones my camera makes currently have my new-in-2022 system feel like it's 10 years old.

Yeah Lightroom is already a clunky slow program but going back to my older 20MP files it feels pretty responsive. Every double in file size results in a lot more than twice as slow.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's about sensor size, really. You can get 50MP or so in a cell phone these days. I've owned a GFX (50R) and while it's a close call I think it outperforms the Z7 by some margin. That said I sold my GFX setup since I wanted to have a single system, at the time I was using F-mount, Z-mount, m43 and GFX bodies and it was just too much poo poo to keep track of. 100% Z now (with some adapted lenses) and it's a great compromise IMO.

I think this is where I’m headed. I currently shoot Fuji X and Nikon F. Thinking about selling my small Fuji collection and getting a ZF to start my slow transition to Z mount. It would be nice to be in one system using the FTZ adapter.

xzzy posted:

I can't imagine the pain of editing 100MP files, the 46MP ones my camera makes currently have my new-in-2022 system feel like it's 10 years old.

Yeah Lightroom is already a clunky slow program but going back to my older 20MP files it feels pretty responsive. Every double in file size results in a lot more than twice as slow.

I can relate to this. Workflow is so much faster with anything 24 mp and down.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

I have a pretty decent rig (i7-10700k, 2080 Super, all SSD etc) but Lightroom never feels particularly quick. However editing on my M1 iPad Pro is blazing fast. I brought it to a landscape workshop a few weeks back and it just breezes through large numbers of 46MP files. I'm considering using it as my primary editing tool and just running Classic on my PC for cataloging and any specific editing needs that the iPad version can't handle. It seems that you can set things up so Classic syncs smart previews to the cloud, then you edit those and sync the edits back. And you're supposed to be able to use the iPad as the "primary" in the field and then sync back to desktop via cloud though it doesn't seem quite as seamless as it ought to be. I suppose the most seamless thing would be to ditch Classic and just use the cloud versions on both PC and iPad but apparently you lose out on a fair amount of stuff if you do so.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Brrrmph posted:

I don’t really want to start a MP war, but I’ll say that the GFX glass + 50MP + medium format sensor does make a difference.

Mostly in shadow detail (a lot of what I like to shoot) and depth of field.

But it’s more dramatic in the 100MP for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It seems that you can set things up so Classic syncs smart previews to the cloud, then you edit those and sync the edits back.

You can, but you can only sync manually curated collections. No smart collections or "my entire library" can be uploaded from LR Classic. There's plugins to work around this but it's 100% a workaround.. it watches a chosen smart collection and triggers adding it to a cloud collection.

Only getting smart previews on classic-to-mobile sync is kind of annoying. They're significantly lower resolution than the originals so it's really not good for anything but general editing or quick slideshows for your adoring fans. You certainly ain't gonna be exporting for print out of LR Mobile. Maybe instagram uploads and that's it.

quote:

And you're supposed to be able to use the iPad as the "primary" in the field and then sync back to desktop via cloud though it doesn't seem quite as seamless as it ought to be.

No, it's not. Classic seems unable to merge mobile edits onto a local import when I get home. I end up with two versions of the same image, which I guess at least isn't destructive but it would be nice if it would recognize two files are the same. My guess is because importing into Mobile converts to DNG, and it's a CR2 when I import off media into Classic.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Classic is clearly end of life or close to it, at some point you're going to need to dehumanize and face to new Lightroom.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Can you keep local storage with the new lightroom though? the 20GB or so that's included in the cheap plan is pretty limiting.

Lightroom classic does not feel super snappy on my 7800X3D, but having the files saved on SSD helps a bit. Z7II files are on NVMe, older stuff is on a SATA SSD :haw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wibla posted:

Can you keep local storage with the new lightroom though? the 20GB or so that's included in the cheap plan is pretty limiting.

The better question is what they offer professionals to replace local storage.. the 1TB plan ain't gonna cover anyone that's done paid work for several years. I guess maybe Adobe could say "tough poo poo" and make them get the all apps plan (which allows one to buy as much storage as they want) but I assume that would trigger a revolt. Adobe has done it before and will do it again but their reputation in the photographer world is already pretty poo poo so I'd like to think they're stuck keeping LR Classic around for a good long while.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

xzzy posted:

I'd like to think they're stuck keeping LR Classic around for a good long while.

I have an SSD raid array that syncs hourly to a cheap HDD raid and then that syncs weekly to Amazon s3 and this whole setup costs less than Adobe's All Apps plan without accounting for the extra storage required over 3 years *by a lot*.

Buying storage from Adobe is an absurd proposition.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

qirex posted:

Classic is clearly end of life or close to it, at some point you're going to need to dehumanize and face to new Lightroom.

gently caress that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DxO Photolab. Do it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I think one of the reasons for me moving away from wide angle stuff on my big camera is it's an area where my phone fills those rolls more conveniently, having a built in wide and ultrawide camera. Most of what I used to use my wide lenses for can be adequately done on the phone, leaving the big camera wide angle stuff a bit niche. If my phone covers the 12-24ish area adequately maybe I should try a 50 equiv. Someone should invent a 35mm-50mm equivalent lens that just toggles between the two focal lengths.

Lenses like those do kinda sorta exist, but on M-mount cameras :laugh:

https://classic.leica-camera.com/at/en/lcc/Leica-Tri-Elmar-M-11890-4-28-35-50mm-Asph./33139-1

If you're wanting a 50mm-equivalent though, Fuji has some of the best IMO. The 35/1.4 is a classic, and I own the 33/1.4 and can vouch for it taking gorgeous images, almost effortlessly even.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

Lenses like those do kinda sorta exist, but on M-mount cameras :laugh:

https://classic.leica-camera.com/at/en/lcc/Leica-Tri-Elmar-M-11890-4-28-35-50mm-Asph./33139-1

If you're wanting a 50mm-equivalent though, Fuji has some of the best IMO. The 35/1.4 is a classic, and I own the 33/1.4 and can vouch for it taking gorgeous images, almost effortlessly even.

Not sure those are in the budget unless I find a deal on a used one. I did see that sigma makes a 30mm f1.4 for Fuji which is interesting and very affordable. Need to check some reviews on it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
When they have it in stock Fuji sells the 33mm 1.4 for $550 refurbished. Not as cheap as the sigma, but 250 bucks off the sticker price.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Brrrmph posted:

When they have it in stock Fuji sells the 33mm 1.4 for $550 refurbished. Not as cheap as the sigma, but 250 bucks off the sticker price.

Big fan of my 33 f/1.4, great walk around lens.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

You can, but you can only sync manually curated collections. No smart collections or "my entire library" can be uploaded from LR Classic. There's plugins to work around this but it's 100% a workaround.. it watches a chosen smart collection and triggers adding it to a cloud collection.

Only getting smart previews on classic-to-mobile sync is kind of annoying. They're significantly lower resolution than the originals so it's really not good for anything but general editing or quick slideshows for your adoring fans. You certainly ain't gonna be exporting for print out of LR Mobile. Maybe instagram uploads and that's it.

No, it's not. Classic seems unable to merge mobile edits onto a local import when I get home. I end up with two versions of the same image, which I guess at least isn't destructive but it would be nice if it would recognize two files are the same. My guess is because importing into Mobile converts to DNG, and it's a CR2 when I import off media into Classic.

Well gently caress it, I am going for it and migrating to new Lightroom. Been pruning my image library significantly this year so it's around 800GB and can probably be reduced a good 50% more if I put my mind to it, so the 1TB plan should last a good while. It seems that you can still access the cloud stuff from Classic for printing and such, so the downside I suppose is paying a bit extra every month. But I was so happy editing on the iPad and would like for poo poo to Just Work so this will be the way for now. And I can ditch my Backblaze account since I only used it for backing up my images anyway.

(edit: turned out my library was actually 1TB since some of the files were not where I thought so had to prune it pretty hard after doing the initial sync.)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 23, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

So CaptureOne announced that they're discontinuing CaptureOne Express at the end of the month, and the way they've described it, it sure sounds like they're not just disabling downloads and dropping support, but remotely disabling the software on everyone's devices, which is incredibly lovely. I guess it's time to buy DxO PhotoLab.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They sure went from everyone's darling to public enemy real drat fast.

At least Adobe didn't disable all prior licenses when they went subscription.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I guess it's time to buy DxO PhotoLab.

yes

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, they've been getting worse and worse. I used to recommend C1, but I think I'm going to dump it and use something else.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Goddamn, at this point I’m considering just giving up and doing everything in the Photos app. What’s the point of using something else if it’s just gonna get discontinued or turn into a subscription service that I have to pay for the rest of my life.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
What sucks is that Capture One was excellent at handling FujiFilm RAW files. God damnit.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It's sad because C1 had a great opportunity to swoop a decent number of customers from Adobe after LR when sub-only and become less of a niche option, which they did at first (myself being one of those people), but instead they decided to double down on "wE'Re fOr PrOs OnLY" within a couple years. Maybe they thought they'd convert a large chunk of the users they onboarded via LR-sub + their cheaper camera specific versions (e.g. C1 Pro Fuji/Sony) to full on Pro users, but if that's the case I don't think that's going to work out as expected for them.

C1 was really superior for Fuji RAWs and IMO at least at the time I liked the editing capabilities better than LR and felt like I could do almost everything fairly easily within C1 rather than having to export to PS or Affinity for somethings, but I'm guessing LR has probably addressed some of its Fuji and editing shortcomings by now and I should give it another look. But I really don't want to go back to Adobe after going all-in on C1/Affinity. However, having LR on mobile is starting to look more and more appealing (especially with C1 putting their mobile offerings behind an additional sub-only).

It sounds like DxO is another option that has good Fuji processing that hasn't yet tried to gently caress perpetual license holders.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
For now, the Adobe photographer package is alright since I just use Lightroom Classic and some Photoshop anyway. But if they start loving around with their plans, I'll just go back to DxO :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

frogbs posted:

Goddamn, at this point I’m considering just giving up and doing everything in the Photos app. What’s the point of using something else if it’s just gonna get discontinued or turn into a subscription service that I have to pay for the rest of my life.

Windows subfolder titled "date - location", full of numbered jpegs, with crops saved as xxxxxxxx-1 copies, edited with Photos app, is the way forward.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I used lightroom mobile recently for some Fuji RAF files and it was pure pain. This is on a Samsung Galaxy 23 Ultra btw.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I cannot get used to all the catalog nonsense. I just want to drag a file from my folder into the program and edit it. Why do I have to go through a five step process to add a file and then it has to be inside this weird format?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you want dxo photolab

it's what you all want

fuckin do it

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Grand Fromage posted:

I cannot get used to all the catalog nonsense. I just want to drag a file from my folder into the program and edit it. Why do I have to go through a five step process to add a file and then it has to be inside this weird format?

Photoshop, not Lightroom is what you want.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

whereas I am absolutely content with a cataloging system that removes me from the file system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

seriously, this. I keep all of my photos in a file system I know and have dated already (going back to buying my first DSLR in 2008), I haven't jumped in with Lightroom or anything similar because I don't want to mess with that system. I just want to adjust the photos I have, export the touched-up version, and call it a day.

but I'm also not into photography to adjust photos on the computer anyways. I'm here to take photos, not edit them, after all :v: