Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

silicone thrills posted:

My oven caught fire on thanksgiving in 2013 a similar way. was cooking the turkey and suddenly I noticed the electric element in the bottom like on fire burning its way around the whole element. called the fire department and they just said cut the power to the stove then replace the element or the stove.

got a new stove because gently caress that. The element was burning way hotter than it should have and my turkey was shockingly done early lol. Thanksgiving turned out ok but super stressful.

the other one has 30yr old hot point equivalent appliances that will burn one to death by failure to watch out for is the dishwashers. When the timing element fails they’ll get stuck in the dry cycle with the heating element running forever. they’ll melt and then burn.

if the timer stops advancing always replace the timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I don't see the point of a dishwasher and don't have one installed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dokapon Findom posted:

they wash ur dishes automatically through clever machinery and plumbing, hth

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
and they do so with less water and energy than one would by hand.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

saves time and water

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
So many "time saving" devices I think are pointless... I feel I would just waste the time anyway

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's why i grind my grains with a giant mortar and pestle

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Dokapon Findom posted:

they kind of sterilize stuff. they're nice if you have a baby or someone immunocompromised in the house or if you're into mycology

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that's not the way i expected that post to end

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

i say swears online posted:

lol that's not the way i expected that post to end

Brewing and fermenting too!

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

i wouldn’t put my brewing equipment in the dishwasher. that’s what pbw, star san and a 5gal bucket are for

also get a fuckin dishwasher. hand washing is a waste of water, energy and time just to do a worse job of cleaning

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

snack soul posted:

i wouldn’t put my brewing equipment in the dishwasher. that’s what pbw, star san and a 5gal bucket are for

Not for washing. I do what you’re saying for that, except with c-brite.

Dry cycles can be used to batch sanitize empty bottles.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

Chicago style is one of the best styles overall along with NY and Detroit. Worst are St. Louis, Altoona, and Ohio Valley

For PB&J I usually do white because that's what I have more often than not but I appreciate the nuanced flavor of a multigrain with peanut butter, and particularly with a seeded jam like raspberry

The pizza restaurant I went to as a kid had a peanut butter and jelly pizza on the menu for kids but I never ordered it. The regular pizza was incredible so I can't imagine it was that bad, but I don't think my parents would have let me in any case

rhode island pizza looks sad but at least it ain't got provel on it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

rhode island pizza looks sad but at least it ain't got provel on it

i lived three blocks from caserta for a few months and probably ate there twice a week the whole time

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

wasting time ftw

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

A bit off-topic but I just got done reading some old Bon Appetit issues I got from a gift sub. God, they write these for tourists offended at being called tourists, don't they? They will write up a column on good Colombian restaurants and cite it as plus that a particular location does not receive much tourist traffic.

I'm really not surprised things turned out the way they did with their employees, seeing how much of their print material amounts to trying to sell upper middle class white people on.. the rest of the world, really. At one point a columnist tries to say that "Ija" is a possible childhood nickname for a Spanish-speaking child, so clearly it's not angling for the smart ones. Figures that the publication would try to reap all the benefits of other cultures while not caring for the people, the yuppie way.

Ugh, too serious. This is the plum pudding and wassail I want to make soon:

quote:

Yule Plum Pudding Ingredients:
  • 16oz cranberries
  • 12oz white raisins
  • 9oz macerated prunes
  • 4oz chopped candied peel (any fruit)
  • 2oz blanched, chopped almonds
  • 4oz all-purpose flour
  • Measure spices with your heart (cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves)
  • 8oz granulated sugar
  • 8oz fresh white breadcrumbs
  • lemon zest (one lemon)
  • 4oz grated unsalted butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 8oz whole milk

Pudding Icing Ingredients:
  • 1½oz unsalted butter
  • 1½oz all-purpose flour
  • 10½oz whole milk
  • 3oz granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons brandy

Yule Plum Pudding Method:
  • A week before making, macerate your prunes in brandy.
  • Mix together all the dried fruit, peel, and almonds. Sieve flour and spices together then add to the fruit mixture along with the sugar, breadcrumbs, rind, and grated butter.
  • Beat eggs and then blend with 8oz of milk.
  • Stir the egg/milk mixture to incorporate into the dry ingredients. Add prunes, and stir some more.
  • Put batter into a well-buttered pudding basin, with parchment paper to cover.
  • Get a large pot and place a kitchen towel or something similar at the bottom- then place the pudding basin on top of the towel, inside the large pot.
  • Fill the outer pot with water until it’s halfway up the side, cover the pot with a lid (or foil).
  • Steam on the stovetop at 210f for 4-6 hours depending on size of pudding basin. If the water gets too low, add a bit more.
  • After steaming, uncover and allow to cool to room temperature. Do not remove it from the pudding basin! Cover with fresh parchment paper and foil and store in a cool, dry place for at least a day.
    (optional) to reheat; steam for 40-80 minutes, until warmed through.

Pudding Icing Method:

• Place butter in a medium saucepan with the flour, pour in the milk then whisk everything vigorously together over a medium heat.
  • As soon as it comes to simmering point and has thickened, turn the heat to its lowest setting, stir in the sugar, and let the sauce cook for 10 minutes.
  • Add the brandy and stir to mix. Keep warm until required.

Wassail Ingredients:
  • 4 cooking apples
  • 2 pears
  • Brown sugar
  • 4 Cinammon sticks
  • 2 lemon
  • 1 bottle of Sherry
  • ½ bottle of Brandy

Wassail Method:
  • Core the apples and pears, leave the rest intact, and set in a baking pan. Fill the hollow centers with brown sugar.
  • Add about an inch of water to the pan and bake at 350f for 30 minutes, or until the fruit is soft.
  • Move the fruit to a large pot, add a bottle of sherry, half a bottle of brandy, lemon peel, and 4 large cinnamon sticks. (Feel free to use less booze!)
  • Bring the pot to a simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain before serving!

excited to do an involved recipe, I'm a sicko for recipes that ask me to wait a week for something.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

baked sweet onions, small potatoes, and a single hamburger patty (on sale 50% off) in the oven for lunch today. was incredible

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bon apetit post reminds me i ran into brad leone while out and about eating at very touristy places a few weeks back. i said hello. nice enough fella, but iirc he gave out a pretty good way to give people botulism as a recipe, so maybe be careful with any fermentation instructions BA gives you under his byline lol

Griz
May 21, 2001

snack soul posted:

also get a fuckin dishwasher. hand washing is a waste of water, energy and time just to do a worse job of cleaning

i've lived in apartments for like 20 years and the only one that came with a dishwasher was the one where all the appliances were decades older than me

fuckin match light gas oven and 70s pastel fridge with exposed coils in the back. there was a dishwasher but it didn't work, and neither did the ones I grew up with in my parents and grandparents houses

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get a loving dishwasher that works

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

You don't need that poo poo. Don't be afraid to do the work.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

You don't need that poo poo. Don't be afraid to do the work.

Instead of doing that you could be using your time productively, by posting, for example. Dishwasher = more posting time. Simple.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Eat This Glob posted:

bon apetit post reminds me i ran into brad leone while out and about eating at very touristy places a few weeks back. i said hello. nice enough fella, but iirc he gave out a pretty good way to give people botulism as a recipe, so maybe be careful with any fermentation instructions BA gives you under his byline lol

It's his fermented honey garlic. It's a near-anarobic ferment with no added salt or acidity, making it a potentially viable place for botulism to grow. Garlic is thought by some to carry botulism spores.

You will probably be fine, but you can check and adjust the pH to 4.6 when starting the ferment if you wanna be completely safe.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think the goon who proposed the heating element had a runaway oopsie is correct.

it explains why the element shifted out of the clamps (the noise I heard) and why when I opened the oven there was a bright red hot spot where the heat was concentrated. it ignited the paper but didn't burn the food.

I called the appliance shoppe from which I bought the oven and told the guy my oven had a busted heating element and after I told him this plus the oven manufacturer he correctly guessed "is it one of the dual fuel models?"

dude knows his poo poo front to back. he's got me a part on order after telling me "send me a bunch of photos so I can see what's going on."

and now I'm an ovenslave

Griz
May 21, 2001

i say swears online posted:

get a loving dishwasher that works

it would be nice but if I move my rent will go up like $400, and the "portable" dishwashers that connect to a faucet cost $600

thotsky posted:

It's his fermented honey garlic. It's a near-anarobic ferment with no added salt or acidity, making it a potentially viable place for botulism to grow. Garlic is thought by some to carry botulism spores.

You will probably be fine, but you can check and adjust the pH to 4.6 when starting the ferment if you wanna be completely safe.

homemade garlic-infused oil is also a botulism factory if you didn't pressure can it and/or add acid

also check the label on your vinegar if you're making pickles, some stores are selling 4% which is not safe for food preservation (standard is 5%)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I called the appliance shoppe from which I bought the oven and told the guy my oven had a busted heating element and after I told him this plus the oven manufacturer he correctly guessed "is it one of the dual fuel models?"

dude knows his poo poo front to back. he's got me a part on order after telling me "send me a bunch of photos so I can see what's going on."

and now I'm an ovenslave

Dual fuel :dafuq: What is the second fuel... and the first?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

elbow grease

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the range top is gas and the oven is electric

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the range top is gas and the oven is electric

this is a ftw combo btw

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

funny that the electric part burnt out of control while the actual fire part is fine

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Parchment paper is so helpful it feels like cheating at cooking. Worth taking out the occasional oven.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Griz posted:

it would be nice but if I move my rent will go up like $400, and the "portable" dishwashers that connect to a faucet cost $600

Mine was under $300 and it works a treat (just clean the filter after every load). It'll fix six coffee cups and whatever else I manage to use in six days.

https://www.amazon.com/SPT-SD-2224DWB-Countertop-Dishwasher-White/dp/B09V9MMD4J/

There are better-rated models out there for similar prices, but this one is the best one that would fit under my cabinets.

e. Oh, you'll need a 10 Amp outlet.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

1.0 rating lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mllaneza posted:

Mine was under $300 and it works a treat (just clean the filter after every load). It'll fix six coffee cups and whatever else I manage to use in six days.

https://www.amazon.com/SPT-SD-2224DWB-Countertop-Dishwasher-White/dp/B09V9MMD4J/

There are better-rated models out there for similar prices, but this one is the best one that would fit under my cabinets.

e. Oh, you'll need a 10 Amp outlet.

That's the standard kind of outlet though?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's one review, from someone who liked their old one more. The listing I ordered from is gone, but was above a 4.0.

Not saying it isn't funny tho, 'cause it is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

The Voice of Labor posted:

funny that the electric part burnt out of control while the actual fire part is fine

electronics are shock sensitive.

heating elements are basically just a cm-ish thick resistive wire , they’re pretty hard to damage.

all it takes is a dumb logistics choice on the manufacturers part or bad last mile / installer by the retailer and things like controllers / sensor can be damaged in a way that is hidden and somewhat random in the time until failure and failure rate.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

experiencing that with my dishwasher. maybe 1 in 10 times it’ll shut down mid-cycle. hoping it’s not burning itself out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Not a Children posted:

experiencing that with my dishwasher. maybe 1 in 10 times it’ll shut down mid-cycle. hoping it’s not burning itself out.

Start checking that out. Search for symptoms on your favorite search engine, and iFixit.com looks like it's still useful for repair-focused work.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

mllaneza posted:

Start checking that out. Search for symptoms on your favorite search engine, and iFixit.com looks like it's still useful for repair-focused work.

Wow sounds so easy and convenient it's a marvel I won't have one in my home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

made a pear pie last night. very good.