Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea this is why I tried out The Front and Sunkenland because I could get something similar to Rust but not have to deal with public servers. I don't know why Rust doesn't have a Single Player?

You can try SCUM, it's not _incredibly_ heavy on PVE single player content, but as a new player you'll get a fair amount of play out of it. You got base building, farming, your standard looting. If you don't like building, you can just claim an existing house and lock it down/barricade the windows (and easier access to cooking, since most houses come with stoves). I like the fishing and cooking systems. Enemies are a variety of zombies outside the bunkers which have more dangerous zombies. Plus you might get run over by a goat or mauled by wolves or a bear.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

twistedmentat posted:

Yea this is why I tried out The Front and Sunkenland because I could get something similar to Rust but not have to deal with public servers. I don't know why Rust doesn't have a Single Player?

Speaking of sunkenland, getting a boat was the best thing, even the rinky dink paddleboat is a huge improvement over swimming everywhere. Not long does it get you places faster, it has storage so you can loot places in one trip rather than multiple trips. This enabled me to get a gun, which was a game changer. Though enemies are really hard to see sometimes. The weirdest mechanic about Sunkenland is to put up objects is you need to have a box equipped. Weird.
Are The Front / Sunkenland worth playing solo? I thought they were like Rust, mostly PVP focused with a bit of PVE content, not really enough to make it worth it if you're not doing PVP

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vib Rib posted:

Are The Front / Sunkenland worth playing solo? I thought they were like Rust, mostly PVP focused with a bit of PVE content, not really enough to make it worth it if you're not doing PVP

Sunkenland has a significant amount of PvE you can engage with, and is fully playable solo or with a buddy. I honestly don't even remember if it was intended or implied to have PvP.

I personally think it needs a bit more time to cook, but is still playable atm.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TorakFade posted:

I gotta try Card Survival because it looks like it scratches the very same itch, but I remember trying the demo and bouncing off it for some reason...

A lot of the learning curve in Card Survival is the UI. Some actions are done by clicking on cards. Others require you to drag cards on top of each other. It can be very non-obvious how to do some things that are obviously possible. At least that's what I had a hard time with until it become muscle memory.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

TorakFade posted:

I gotta try Card Survival because it looks like it scratches the very same itch, but I remember trying the demo and bouncing off it for some reason...

It doesn't really look like much - the whole cards gimmick is really weird since the game isn't in any way a card game and it seems like a holdover from a much earlier idea. But once you get into it, it's probably the most life-like survival simulator out there that I'm aware of. I've got over 700 hours into it (a lot of that is just leaving the game open, though), and my partner and I joke that games aren't fun if you don't have to move mud from place to place.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to like Dysmantle because it scratches the part of my brain that wants to loot everything and it's somewhat similar to a "survival" kind of game in that you collect stuff to make stuff and upgrade stuff but afaik there's no base building since its about breaking things down in the name, but I guess it'd be an honorable mention?

There is actually base building in Dysmantle. IIRC it’s almost vestigial however. It can be useful but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was possible to complete the game without ever setting it up. The location for it was off the quest path, some place called Tabula Rasa past Canaveral near the start of the game.

Looking it up, it was added in update 24, about two years in, perhaps.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I've just recently been playing through Dysmantle and I would not classify it as a survival game at all; it's weird, like, a survival game made by aliens, all the pieces are there but they are assembled all wrong.

The basebuilding is entirely meh, a waste of resources, and actively fucks with you since turrets/sandbags (used for specific events or just to help with a zone) use the same build limit as your base. A rocket turret takes as much of this limit as a picture frame on a wall does. The only good thing about it is it gives you a teleport to base item, which is also a bad thing since it entirely breaks the difficulty, since you can now freely teleport to a safe area, drop off your supplies, rest and recover, and go right back to where you were at any time.

The DLC's are also meh, the pet dlc is just... weird again, more signs the devs are aliens. It's basically a puzzlepack that rewards you with more gear. Underworld dlc is bad. Doomsday dlc has actually been pretty cool, they finally figured out level design and actually made some pretty nice to play through areas.

But I'd not really recommend the game overall, it's stretched waaaayyy too long for how little the combat and other systems can carry it.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 5, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jawnycat posted:

I've just recently been playing through Dysmantle and I would not classify it as a survival game at all; it's weird, like, a survival game made by aliens, all the pieces are there but they are assembled all wrong.

The basebuilding is entirely meh, a waste of resources, and actively fucks with you since turrets/sandbags (used for specific events or just to help with a zone) use the same build limit as your base. A rocket turret takes as much of this limit as a picture frame on a wall does. The only good thing about it is it gives you a teleport to base item, which is also a bad thing since it entirely breaks the difficulty, since you can now freely teleport to a safe area, drop off your supplies, rest and recover, and go right back to where you were at any time.

The DLC's are also meh, the pet dlc is just... weird again, more signs the devs are aliens. It's basically a puzzlepack that rewards you with more gear. Underworld dlc is bad. Doomsday dlc has actually been pretty cool, they finally figured out level design and actually made some pretty nice to play through areas.

But I'd not really recommend the game overall, it's stretched waaaayyy too long for how little the combat and other systems can carry it.

The whole thing felt very simplistic and repetitive to me.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Despite 100%ing Dysmantle I still can't really pinpoint any particular moments that stood out. It wasn't a bad game by any stretch but also wasn't particularly good. A very average game.

Also agree it wasn't survival at all and the base building was really only for completionism and the vault.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Evil Kit posted:

Sunkenland has a significant amount of PvE you can engage with, and is fully playable solo or with a buddy. I honestly don't even remember if it was intended or implied to have PvP.

I personally think it needs a bit more time to cook, but is still playable atm.

Yea, just exploring around you run into enemies quite a lot. you can claim the islands after you clean them out if you want too. I don't know if that stops attacks though. The attacks do make you think about defense as like in 7 days they ramp up over time. the most recent attack had the majority armed with guns. The most annoying thing isn't that i have to scavange some high end parts and I think they might be limited, is that you can only make one iron at a time, and manually replace the ore, so it takes forever to make a decent amount. I cannot imagine how much time it would take to make enough to build a reenforced base.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Rynoto posted:

Despite 100%ing Dysmantle I still can't really pinpoint any particular moments that stood out. It wasn't a bad game by any stretch but also wasn't particularly good. A very average game.

Also agree it wasn't survival at all and the base building was really only for completionism and the vault.

Yeah, but its fun to destroy everything, especially in coop where you just mow down the world like locust. Scratches the "pick up everything" itch if you want something mindless and simple to play while chatting. Combat isn't very good, you only get the tools to break the big stuff at the end of the game, I built enough base for the quest bits and then had that portal so I could store stuff.

I didn't know there were DLCs available, might have to check them out the next time I want to pick up thousands of items...

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I got return to moria cheap during the epic sale and oof. Overall not fun, played way more than I should have. I'm 17 hours in and it feels just like hour 2, but now my weapon is tier 3 instead of tier 1? I'd give it a solid 2/5, not sure why anyone would give this a positive rating it does nothing well, I can't think of a single good feature. Sucked in by another mediocre to bad LotR game...

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sweeper posted:

2/5... I can't think of a single good feature
drat, what's is take to get a 1/5?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I know a lot of people like Dysmantle but I thought it’s the most “press buttons to do the same thing for X hours” game I’ve played in recent memory. I like busywork games like Snowrunner but Dysmantle just didn’t have any hook whatsoever.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

drat, what's is take to get a 1/5?

It’s not buggy and generally works? I can only think of twos bugs and neither really mattered. Lighting is weird between rooms and sometimes bugs out for a second and sometimes the torch would be sideways in my hands instead of vertical. The game works fine, it just isn’t fun.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Gave Icarus another shot after letting it bake for a couple years and jesus it's still such a miserable experience. Even in open world, grind your way up to 10 before you can even begin to do anything except grind for XP until you unlock the mission terminal at 10. You'll have a base going with everything you need by 5, the rest is pure grinding by killing mostly easy wildlife and resource gathering. After that you can get missions.

I attempted 2 "easy" missions, the first was "go find some poo poo on the ground and send it back up in a rocket". Well the poo poo is guarded by 2 level 30+ bears in dense wood so you can hear them but you can't see poo poo. When they do spot you, the bears can kill you in 3-4 hits even in full armor and they run faster than you and no there's no water nearby the mission to cheese it. Only reason I beat that mission is because bears are easy to cheese near trees, they always charge and attack and you can just strafe around a tree and knife them as they go by. This takes a while and it's stupid and sucks. I died 2-3 times finishing this one.

The second "easy" mission I did was "go find this downed drone, start it uploading data and defend it until it's done". This one once you start the upload, it seems fairly quiet for a while then a whole bunch of poo poo starts spawning in basically nonstop. I killed probably about 6 poison spitting worms, two horse things and 2 jaguars before the 3rd jaguar got me. You can't just sit back at range and snipe them with a bow for some reason, as soon as you get more than 10-20 feet away it tells you to get back in the mission area. I died and couldn't complete the mission because I couldn't get back before the animals destroyed the drone.

gently caress this stupid rear end game.

So frustrating because it's a very pretty survival game and I really enjoy some of the building and resource gathering but everything else about it is just complete rear end.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 6, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
bears are pretty easy once you learn to joust them, use a spear or a bow. You can cheese most of the "guard the scanner" missions pretty easily by building some wooden walls & platforms to sit on and throwing a bunch of hedgehogs around it for stuff to mash itself into. And a few points in archery plus bone arrows means you can sneak headshot wolves pretty easily for good xp - make sure you skin them as well because they're worth like 2-3k xp even if you arent taking anything

but yeah there are points in the game where it is far too grindy and also points where they dump an insane challenge on you without any setup or warning (the scanner + bear mission you mentioned, elephants & mammoths and poo poo later) and none of that has really improved since launch

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also if the way to beat the very first missions of a game boil down to "cheese them" maybe there's a bigger problem.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

Also if the way to beat the very first missions of a game boil down to "cheese them" maybe there's a bigger problem.

Yeah, the typical solution from the forums seems to be "just build a stone building and get in a place the animals can't reach you, easy peasy".

LOL, thanks but no thanks.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
During my free weekend of Icarus, I think my conclusion was that it doesn't do anything better than any other survival game. It's mechanics rise to mediocre at best in any one area so the total effect is massively underwhelming if it's not literally the first survival game you've ever played. Because if it's not you can't help but think "Boy howdy, [system] sure is definitely worse than [other game]!"

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My main bouncing off point on Icarus is when I did a mission to kill a wolf or something and Boss Wolf had like 10000hp and could insta-destroy any structures I built, and would heal fully if I moved too far away. That and the games font sizes are SO loving SMALL, with no options to increase them I literally could not read allot of poo poo without smushing my face into the monitor because of my bad eyesight.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
yeah the wolf boss is definitely one of those incredible stupid missions where if you aren't insanely overprepared you just get smoked out of nowhere, not fun. I like a lot of the crafting and gathering in Icarus (except for tier 4 stuff, gently caress the tier 4 grind), I like the world and the way that starting in different spots kinda changes how you do things from the start, I like a lot of the sound design, but there's a lot of drag in the game that sucks to deal with

i played it for like 40 hours straight when it came out and then bailed cause there was just too much stupid poo poo to bother to keep playing. Played it a bunch a few months ago and while it was better, the experience was somewhat the same. Apparently the expansions are better but idk if they're so much better that it makes playing worth it when there are so many other great games out there; Vintage Story is scratching my survival itch way better anyways.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 7, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

My main bouncing off point on Icarus is when I did a mission to kill a wolf or something and Boss Wolf had like 10000hp and could insta-destroy any structures I built, and would heal fully if I moved too far away. That and the games font sizes are SO loving SMALL, with no options to increase them I literally could not read allot of poo poo without smushing my face into the monitor because of my bad eyesight.
Really love how so many survival games make buildings out of tissue paper. Love the idea that a wolf could rip a log cabin's wall down, let alone in one bite, because it was a very strong wolf. Love these lovely buildings being so expensive you'd rather die yourself than get your structures destroyed so they don't even make good protection.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I mean, on the flip side chopping down enough trees to build a log cabin with a stone axe and shaping them to fit with an adze would take you months and months of insane physical effort but that wouldn’t be a very fun game, either

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Really love how so many survival games make buildings out of tissue paper. Love the idea that a wolf could rip a log cabin's wall down, let alone in one bite, because it was a very strong wolf. Love these lovely buildings being so expensive you'd rather die yourself than get your structures destroyed so they don't even make good protection.

Agreed that this stuff in general can get ridiculous, and I'm okay with some unrealistic balance if it makes for a good time, but:

idiotsavant posted:

I mean, on the flip side chopping down enough trees to build a log cabin with a stone axe and shaping them to fit with an adze would take you months and months of insane physical effort but that wouldn’t be a very fun game, either

Just because one thing is not fun in a game doesn't justify something else also not being fun in a game but somewhat less in comparison.

I haven't even played Icarus (since that's what the above quotes were aimed at) and don't plan on it, but the best I have heard is "at least it's not as bad as it used to be".

However, my bigger point is that most people play games to have fun, some people like a challenge, but no one enjoys a sucker punch.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idiotsavant posted:

Let me simplify it:
Fudging realism to save the player's time or improve quality of life is usually good.
Fudging realism to waste the player's time and make poo poo obnoxious is usually bad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

the wood buildings are like Thatch in other games

I spent hours today in zomboid and it's certainly fun it's rather hard with all the zombies. Sneaking around takes forever and your bag space is super limited. I found a katana and it was useful but no way to repair it along with some police items too. You can deconstruct a lot of stuff but it's incredibly grindy and takes forever. I shouldn't have picked the debuff that reads books slower because it's painful

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I spent hours today in zomboid and it's certainly fun it's rather hard with all the zombies. Sneaking around takes forever and your bag space is super limited. I found a katana and it was useful but no way to repair it along with some police items too. You can deconstruct a lot of stuff but it's incredibly grindy and takes forever. I shouldn't have picked the debuff that reads books slower because it's painful

Zomboid is one of those games where you can change anything you want with the 10,000 mods available. Carry weight, weapon repairs, XP gain rates, etc. There's also a dedicated thread at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011483

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Even without mods PZ is super customizable in the regular menu settings, both for characters and world settings. Anything between "you're probably a gonner the first step you take outside" to "there aren't even any zombies in this zombie survival game and your character is basically superman" and much more is doable.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Also iirc that katana isn't repairable in vanilla at all, you use it until it breaks and hope to find another one. If you played with starter kit on, then keep an eye out for zeds with duffels or backpacks. The really good bags are going to be in places you probably aren't ready to go yet. Hit up the dedicated thread for a lot more detailed help.

In SP you should schedule your day like: early morning - get up and watch shows for as long as you have power; morning-afternoon - loot loot loot; evening - more tv shows, cook, then work on reading and skill grinding like tailoring; nighttime - sleep. It's actually easier to play on a server because sleep generally gets turned off and you can read or skill grind all night. Since you took slow reading you can at least fast forward time in SP so while you may only get through a quarter of a book at least you can do it in a minute or two instead of 10. I cannot recommend the skill journal mod enough, since you'll die a lot at the beginning and losing progress in hard-to-level skills like tailoring and electronics is a huge help.

There's also a goon server in PGS you can log into and play with other people, assuming of course they're on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ironically I recently got Icarus along with my co-op buddy and we've been having a good time? It's a chill zen out building game with some direction towards exploration in Open World and building up to go into harder areas or drop in and do specific missions. I've played more than my buddy who has dad stuff to handle but so far we've both enjoyed it.

Ironically my first time doing a mission was actually the Alpha Wolf one and i went into it blind with full bone armor, an iron axe (I'm going axe berserker for my combat option :black101:), and some basic food buffs, right around level 17-18... and I beat it in one go! Literally skin of my teeth too, had one HP by the end. No cheese or anything, just whacking pack wolves and the alpha in the face.

Bears suck though. Especially polar bears. Thankfully the power of Large Rock and video game enemy object impermanence exists.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Jawnycat posted:

Default settings ARK absolutly does not respect your time yeah and is untenable for solo play.

SoD2 was fun from my playtime a few months back. Felt like it was both too easy and too hard at the same time, weirdly. Nothing is a threat (that you can't avoid) till inevitably a juggernaut spawns just outside your base, is eventually aggro'd accidently, and wrecks poo poo. Doubly so if your playing on a high enough difficulty that they are plague jugs instead, that can quickly turn into a full save wipe instead of just a shitshow since they cause AoE infection at an absurd rate. I dislike how the difficulty works in regards to plague zeds allot, and usually use a mod that changes it. Overall the game was a polished and fun experience though, if inconsistently balanced.

I go back to SoD2 often, as it is almost a great game, but still never sticks the landing. But it gets close, and has improved a lot since release.

Issues I have with the game is
-Your group of survivors is really just there for buffs and to trade off when someone is injured or needs a break. It would nice if they could be assigned to do things like loot buildings.
-You can never really clear out a section of the map, or make a safe zone. You get a zone around your base, but all it does is ring your base with zombies. Be nice if you could clear out a region of the map, setup walls and actually make something.
-Plague/Special zombies aren't fun at all. I'd rather they replace them with more regular zombies. The difficulty slider just adds more plague ones to the mix, and no.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CitizenKain posted:

I go back to SoD2 often, as it is almost a great game, but still never sticks the landing. But it gets close, and has improved a lot since release.

Same here. I really hope SoD3 releases and doesn't suck.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I played some The Forest and it's absolutely massive map (though not as insane as the PZ map) and also a complete pain to find food reliably. I think it's a bit easier later on when you get more tools but it certainly nails the "stuck on an island with cannibals" theme

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Forest
a complete pain to find food reliably

What, how? Don't birds all but literally fly into your mouth at all times? That's what I remember, food was never, never an issue in The Forest, it almost felt like a vestigial system.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

idiotsavant posted:

We were talking about Unreal World recently, to make a log cabin there it will take several weeks of gametime at least, and that's if you have good tools and dedicate yourself to that almost exclusively (so you'd need to have a fairly sizable stock of preserved food, appropriate clothing for the season, etc). If you try to do it with a stone axe, it'll be months, and same if you're taking hunting or exploring breaks or get hurt and have to spend time recovering or whatever.

Still fun :getin:

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I've been busy for over a month building a huge fort in 7DTD, not sure why i enjoy it so much as I tuned down everything zombie related but I can't stop building, farming and scavenging. It's what I liked most about Fallout 4 too, is there anything more out there scratching that same itch? I prefer more or less modern day settings, not a huge fan of the medieval/fantasy setting of things like Conan and Valheim. I do have the forest, green hell, scum, subnautica, terraria, project zomboid, state of decay 2 but none of these feels so satisfying to build your own home while still in sort of danger like 7DTD halp need more

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

What, how? Don't birds all but literally fly into your mouth at all times? That's what I remember, food was never, never an issue in The Forest, it almost felt like a vestigial system.

If I remember my time with The Forest, birds didn't bombard you until you had certain things built. So an established base became food sufficient just from the avian influx. Until then I was dodging cannibals to try and scrunge up rabbits and candy and it was genuinely tricky.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

TorakFade posted:

We were talking about Unreal World recently, to make a log cabin there it will take several weeks of gametime at least, and that's if you have good tools and dedicate yourself to that almost exclusively (so you'd need to have a fairly sizable stock of preserved food, appropriate clothing for the season, etc). If you try to do it with a stone axe, it'll be months, and same if you're taking hunting or exploring breaks or get hurt and have to spend time recovering or whatever.

Still fun :getin:

Haha, I’ve been playing the heck out of Vintage Story lately and while it isn’t quite that extreme it’s definitely more effort to get to like, bronze tools than most other survival games I’ve played and the pacing is kind of nice. Survival game where the big challenge is building your dream house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bug Squash posted:

If I remember my time with The Forest, birds didn't bombard you until you had certain things built. So an established base became food sufficient just from the avian influx. Until then I was dodging cannibals to try and scrunge up rabbits and candy and it was genuinely tricky.
I played it just a couple years ago and the "certain thing" I had to build was one of those little starter shelters to save your game at.