Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I always expect these types to end up doubting their own gender as a sort of inevitable endpoint of this line of reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That plastic slipper/big insulated mug marketing guy seems pretty good at his job.

I’d hire him.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the ditz whisperer

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I got one of them Stanley cups because it fits in my cup holder and also I'm a basic white girl.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

What the cup is going on

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Crocs and cup marketing guy reminds me of someone but I can't place it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a stanley*, but big insulated water bottles rule. I don't get buying so many of the drat things, but I waste my income on records, and old video games I'll probably never get around to playing, so who am I. to judge.

* a takeya if you were curious

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Push El Burrito posted:

I got one of them Stanley cups because it fits in my cup holder and also I'm a basic white girl.

Just having a thing because it had utility isn't creepy, unless you camped out to get an exclusively branded collaboration or something

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Tiggum posted:

I don't think he's suggesting that the computer would be put in charge, just that it would be able to look up and learn all the laws, find one you've broken, and report you. Yudkowsky is overlooking the fact that this would then require the police to give a poo poo and actually do something about it, the prosecutor to consider it a worthwhile use of resources, and the whole thing to go before a court and not get thrown out as a waste of everyone's time. Like, you can call up the police and tell them your neighbour cut a $20 note in half or swore on a train, and a hypothetical AI could also do that, but in both cases the police will not do anything about it.

But what if the police are also AI robots and the prosecutor and jury and judge and everyone else are also AI robots? Then they can come to your house and steal you in the night and throw you in prison and only the AI robots will know

Henchman of Santa posted:

A bunch of places still have sodomy laws on the books or recently struck them down.

And slavery!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What I'm learning here is that white girls are unbearably thirsty.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i use a water bottle i got from work

e: take a handful of altoids, keep them in ur mouth and then take a big drink of water for a good time

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I don't have a stanley*, but big insulated water bottles rule. I don't get buying so many of the drat things, but I waste my income on records, and old video games I'll probably never get around to playing, so who am I. to judge.

* a takeya if you were curious

I also like to collect old video games but I have so far not camped overnight for one

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
After seeing that collection of stanley cups I decided to look them up. The normal ones go for between $35 and $50 usd. That's a very expensive collection of lovely cups.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Lamination is one of the worst ways you could preserve a piece of paper so good job lady.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is there a particular reason they have smaller bases than the top, it seems like an invitation to topple them off tables easily

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014

don longjohns posted:

Lamination is one of the worst ways you could preserve a piece of paper so good job lady.

Let’s be honest, by the time it goes bad nobody will care about the cups anymore. Including that lady

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is there a particular reason they have smaller bases than the top, it seems like an invitation to topple them off tables easily

To fit into cup holders I guess

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
e: beaten

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

They're basically the new Yetis, aren't they?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neito posted:

Some GBS tryhard is going to try to base their whole posting persona around it?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

To fit into cup holders I guess

This is also why for like, a decade or two a lot of fast food joints had lovely plastic cups that had really tiny and really unstable bottoms that just expanded outwards dramatically after a few inches. Now most of them have gone back to waxy cardboard cups, here in my state at least.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Neito posted:

They went viral after a lady posted about how her car burnt down but the mug in the center console still had ice, and the company capitalized on it buy buying her a new car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nuebot posted:

really unstable bottoms that just expanded outwards dramatically

But enough about the dating pool.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I assume this has created some very confused hockey fans.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zero_Grade posted:

I assume this has created some very confused hockey fans.

The Leafs got so excited at first!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/eyeslasho/status/1742992998311288843?t=QNbNBMo3gf6OzEDDSiqJ3A&s=19

quote:

Arguments in favor of "decolonization" often break apart once you engage with the real world.

Four quick examples related to nationhood:

— Many US slaves were freed and returned to Africa where they created a "decolonized" independent nation: The failure that is Liberia.

— Another colonized nation became independent in 1804: The basket case that is Haiti.

— One was never colonized for more than a handful of years: The intermittent war zone and occasional basket case that is Ethiopia.

— And the one that broke free of colonial white rule most recently: The previously-promising but now full basket case that is Zimbabwe.

There's also this: Some of the Sub-Saharan nations today that are doing best are those which have replaced white "neo-colonialism" with Chinese "neo-colonialism".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My niece saw someone with a fake Stanley cup and called it a "Steve". Teenagers will just ruin someone with a word.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Push El Burrito posted:

My niece saw someone with a fake Stanley cup and called it a "Steve". Teenagers will just ruin someone with a word.

"youre like 12, who gives a poo poo"

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My Spirit Otter posted:

"youre like 12, who gives a poo poo"

Quite. Something like "I really don't give a gently caress" shuts that down fairly quickly.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Goons and children lmao. I'd probably laugh if the child roasted my mug mercilessly.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
No, attempt to "own" the child in return, you must establish dominance

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why the hell are you taking pride in "owning" a child I swear to God

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sounds like someone couldn't think of a comeback in time and walked away owned.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Leave posted:

No, attempt to "own" the child in return, you must establish dominance

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Libertarian Party

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The Stevest Rhino

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Those Stanley tumblers are pretty legit. Way better than the yetis. My wife just got one since her job requires water bottles to be non spill. Can confirm they keep ice for days just being topped up with cold water. I've been running back and forth filling it for her for the last few days on only a couple ice fill ups. They're easy to clean and heavy enough to give someone a concussion with pretty easily.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Tumblers seem like a really bad name for a thing supposed to hold your drink.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Those Stanley tumblers are pretty legit. Way better than the yetis. My wife just got one since her job requires water bottles to be non spill. Can confirm they keep ice for days just being topped up with cold water. I've been running back and forth filling it for her for the last few days on only a couple ice fill ups. They're easy to clean and heavy enough to give someone a concussion with pretty easily.

I grew up in the town where Stanley used to be headquartered and manufactured so it's weird seeing them be this huge viral sensation. Can't speak to their tumblers but I've got a thermos that's well over a decade old and still keeps drinks hot/cold for far longer than I've ever needed. One of these guys:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I drink water out of a big glass with my wife