Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As someone who feels more movies should have intermissions, I'm a-ok with someone taking a smoke break mid set. I too can piss off for a minute.

Given his recent output if that's the worst bit of his new show, that'd be an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

ruddiger posted:

I saw the pixies live and Frank had to take a break midset to catch his breath, dude looked like he just ran a marathon.

Gotta respect a fat punk boy goin' hard

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
This really cracked me up.

https://twitter.com/JacobOller/status/1743020825182126310?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think everyone should be allowed a smoke break except Chappelle he should suffer

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Movie night tonight for me is Past Lives.

How hard am I going to cry?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

That’s pretty good. His story about it is pretty funny also.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
She's not wrong.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
drat. My Christmas present from my mum arrived and it's the Mr Bungle Tractor Ate My Balls Again t shirt Mike Patton wore in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg

I used to wear it all the time as a teenager and then lent it to somebody because she had a crush on the bass player of a band and wanted him to think she was cool. Never gave it back. She got laid though so ce la vie

When I got it it was like twenty bucks mass produced on Mike Patton's record label website but now it's an expensive mess to find a good one, I been told. By my mother

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 5, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching "The Man Who Would Be King" for the first time and drat. Had no idea Connery and Caine did a buddy-colonist flick - or that they could look like they're having this much fun in a film. I'm not sure I've seen Connery express this much uncertainty in a role before. Used to him always be either an authority figure or someone with a certainty to their character. Seeing him play someone who's weak luck into godhood is fun.

Weird film to watch nowadays as the story relies on the trope of "white guys easily take over ignorant nonwhite people", but is self aware enough to never present Connery and Caine as anything but bad guys. Skilled enough soldiers, but also lucky in multiple instances. Feel like it wasn't coming from a place of endorsement at the very least, but I don't know enough about Houston or 1975 to know how much consideration that stuff got.

Really neat flick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Watching "The Man Who Would Be King" for the first time and drat. Had no idea Connery and Caine did a buddy-colonist flick - or that they could look like they're having this much fun in a film. I'm not sure I've seen Connery express this much uncertainty in a role before. Used to him always be either an authority figure or someone with a certainty to their character. Seeing him play someone who's weak luck into godhood is fun.

Weird film to watch nowadays as the story relies on the trope of "white guys easily take over ignorant nonwhite people", but is self aware enough to never present Connery and Caine as anything but bad guys. Skilled enough soldiers, but also lucky in multiple instances. Feel like it wasn't coming from a place of endorsement at the very least, but I don't know enough about Houston or 1975 to know how much consideration that stuff got.

Really neat flick.

I got to see this in a theater with Connery presenting. I think it was close to the time he retired. He looked so frail and old

Yeah I concur the movie isn’t endorsing their actions at all, it’s a “we were greedy and lost” story.

“Maybe colonizing isn’t so great” was already a thing in movies for decades by then

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp. Past Lives was great.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Have you people ever considered that in Star Wars 6: Newer Hope (2015, d.p. Dan Mindel) the famous heartthrob Oscar Isaac plays Poe Dameron but in the action classic Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) Nicolas Cage née Coppola plays Cameron Poe. Dameron is a pilot and Cameron spends almost all of Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) an airplane. Furthermore Isaac also starred in Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) but the villains of Star Warses 6 through 8 is Kyle Lauren played by Adam Driver who is also Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) and sings a song with Issac where they, and boy wonder Justin Timberlake, plead to be the soon-to-be-dead President John Fitzgerald Kennedy to not send them into outer space which where Star Wars, by nature, generally take place. Additionally Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) is based on the life of folk music legend Dave Van Ronk. Ronk was of allegedly Dutch heritage. The Dutch word for "father" is Vader. Darth Vader is a space samurai in a Star War who is famously a father and Adam Drive plays his grandson and colleague.

How deep does the rabid hole go people
?

lol but I also didn't know about the full extent of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppola_family. wtf

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The best performance given by a Coppola was Sofia's daughter getting on TikTok and casually talking about how she's grounded because she used her parents' black card to book a helicopter to take her and her friends to summer camp and yeah it's like $16,000 but it was Brooke's & Courtney's birthdays and this would be their gift and I didn't even ask for anything for my birthday and it's not like they need the money and don't you want me to be popular mom and dad??

It was either performance art or a glimpse into a world I won't get a better view of anytime soon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You made up like the entire second half of that sentence

I really wish we got more of those tiktoks lmao they were hilarious

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

iirc she recognized her nepo baby status

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lobster Henry posted:

Thank you, this is really interesting stuff. A lot it didn’t come into focus for me, unfortunately. Like, for example, the Tower Master seemed so thinly characterised that I couldn’t attach a lot of weight to the idea of “malice” that seemed so important in the end. But it sounds like I could stand to read some more about the film, mull it over, and then try a second watch.

I think of all of Miyazaki's movies it's the one that benefits most from a second watch. I liked it the first time around then loved it on a rewatch.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

A Discord server I'm in suddenly pointed out we are living in the year that Highlander II: The Quickening is set and I'm finding that fact way more amusing than I should.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 5, 2024

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

AceOfFlames posted:

A Discord server I'm in suddenly pointed out we are living in the year that Highlander II: The Quickening is set and I'm finding that fact way more amusing than I should.

This is an extremely useless spoiler tag.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's also the year of the Bell Riots in Star Trek

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This is an extremely useless spoiler tag.

It's to build anticipation. (I took it out).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Escobarbarian posted:

You made up like the entire second half of that sentence

Haha yeah. I did switch perspectives when I got to the part I was unsure of, although I had 16k in my head for some reason. And I guess even the camp thing wasn't exactly right. But I didn't think it mattered because: I was fairly sure it's performance art given that this, i.e. chartering a helicopter to take a girl to camp, takes place in a Sofia Coppola film (except it's Stephen Dorff doing it for his screen daughter).

Unless it's something that Hollywood parents sometimes actually do for their kids and both baby Coppola and the movie scene were inspired by it.

Jay Rust posted:

iirc she recognized her nepo baby status

I watched it again and she says her parents don't let her have social media because they don't want her to be a nepo kid. Close enough though.

And I actually LOLed at being basically 'My parents don't want me to be spoilt' *is grounded, but gets babysitter's boyfriend to go fetch vodka and pasta sauce to make a dish for the TikTok account I'm not supposed to have*

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 5, 2024

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched The Cat (1992) last night, and while it takes a bit to get going and never feels quite as feverish as the other stuff I’ve seen from Lam like Riki-Oh or The Seventh Curse, it’s still pretty wild and fun. The junkyard fight between the cat and Lo Pau is bonkers, but I absolutely do not want to know how they filmed it. I’m pretty sure one shot was achieved by just throwing a real cat into a puddle.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't know about you, but I'm posting from my solar-shielded bunker right now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched The Cat (1992) last night, and while it takes a bit to get going and never feels quite as feverish as the other stuff I’ve seen from Lam like Riki-Oh or The Seventh Curse, it’s still pretty wild and fun. The junkyard fight between the cat and Lo Pau is bonkers, but I absolutely do not want to know how they filmed it. I’m pretty sure one shot was achieved by just throwing a real cat into a puddle.

Yeah there's a lot of just animal abuse in Hong Kong films from the 80s especially cat 3 films

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Yeah there's a lot of just animal abuse in Hong Kong films from the 80s especially cat 3 films

I tried watching Calamity of Snakes expecting a crazy horror/disaster movie but turned it off once it was obvious they were just hacking up real snakes with garden tools.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I tried watching Calamity of Snakes expecting a crazy horror/disaster movie but turned it off once it was obvious they were just hacking up real snakes with garden tools.

Yeah they kill a lot of chickens too. I don't know why specifically Hong Kong films killed snakes and chickens but they do. Also they seem to gently caress with cats a lot too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they kill a lot of chickens too. I don't know why specifically Hong Kong films killed snakes and chickens but they do. Also they seem to gently caress with cats a lot too.

Jackie Chan snaps a chicken’s neck as a joke in Spiritual Kung Fu.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wonder if the puppy blood Sammo Hung throws at the hopping vampire in Encounters of the Spooky Kind was actual puppy blood.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching Yakuza Weapon. It’s not very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t know if I’m going to finish Yakuza Weapon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK when I posted that I assumed there was only like 15 or 20 minutes left, it would just be one big action set piece and that would be it. But then they started introducing this whole new plot element and I checked and there were 45 minutes left.

So I am officially bailing on Yakuza Weapon

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gripweed posted:

OK when I posted that I assumed there was only like 15 or 20 minutes left, it would just be one big action set piece and that would be it. But then they started introducing this whole new plot element and I checked and there were 45 minutes left.

So I am officially bailing on Yakuza Weapon

This is me but with Midsommar when I was like "Wow this move sure is taking its time, hoping it speeds up" then I look at the clock and its got another hour and a half left. I was like "Goddamn it".

Apparently I was watching the directors cut.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maestro is weird in that it’s a biopic, but I felt like it wanted me to know a lot more about Bernstein than I do. Events and names just pop up without much reference. I guess it stands out compared to Oppenheimer which actively tries to guide the viewer through this world of scientists.

Maestro looked really good though, and glad that Cooper has anything but boring direction.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

checkplease posted:

Maestro is weird in that it’s a biopic, but I felt like it wanted me to know a lot more about Bernstein than I do. Events and names just pop up without much reference. I guess it stands out compared to Oppenheimer which actively tries to guide the viewer through this world of scientists.

Maestro looked really good though, and glad that Cooper has anything but boring direction.

Maestro was probably my biggest disappointment of last year. It looks and sounds like a million bucks, and Carey Mulligan is really putting in the work, but in terms of a biopic it's almost aggressively unhelpful. Some of Bernstein's biggest/most noteworthy achievements are literally just sidelined to a single line of dialogue in the middle of the movie in order to fit in a few dozen more 'you know, I think he's a lovely husband' scenes.

I saw someone on Reddit say that it was like having a conversation with the most gorgeous person you've ever seen while you slowly realize they have nothing interesting to say, and I think that's a fair appraisal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even for a prestige Biopic it just looks intensely boring. I cannot muster any enthusiasm for it whatsoever.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Even for a prestige Biopic it just looks intensely boring. I cannot muster any enthusiasm for it whatsoever.

It's worth noting that the movie is over two hours long. At a certain point I looked at the clock, certain that the movie had maybe 10 minutes left, only to discover that it still had 50.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Biopics should loudly proclaim every important character with a subtitle like Legend of galactic Heroes or Yakuza

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Irishman does that, basically

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Parker Posey. She's cast in the next season of White Lotus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
And if subtitles seem clumsy, you can do it diagetically like Miss Marple did for Timothy Dalton

Or how Hot Fuzz did it for Timothy Dalton