Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Touch ID works when the phone is horizontal and is therefore superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Yo gots an iPhone now - more or less have everything adapted after a few hours coming from Android, but one thing I can't find a good google (lol lmao) suggestion for:

There a way to set alarms + indicate a blackout/pause period? Say I have a regular Mon/Tues thing, but want to say "hey from January 1st to 4th gently caress off" and neither would play. About the only thing I'm not able to 1:1 more or less. OK with using an App if that's a better answer, because as is the alarm/health thing seems janky at best.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Touch ID works when the phone is horizontal and is therefore superior.

So does Face ID

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kalsco posted:

Yo gots an iPhone now - more or less have everything adapted after a few hours coming from Android, but one thing I can't find a good google (lol lmao) suggestion for:

There a way to set alarms + indicate a blackout/pause period? Say I have a regular Mon/Tues thing, but want to say "hey from January 1st to 4th gently caress off" and neither would play. About the only thing I'm not able to 1:1 more or less. OK with using an App if that's a better answer, because as is the alarm/health thing seems janky at best.

Use an automation in shortcuts to run DND immersion mode at your favorite intervals.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I use this same pack and cable all the time and it works perfectly. If it were trying to charge the pack, I don't the pack wouldn't go from full to empty. The phone was seemingly drawing full power but not banking any of it and just converting it straight to heat for hours.
The phone and battery were probably sending charge back and forth. I had the same issue when I got my 15 Pro with an Anker Powercore Slim that uses USB-C to both charge and discharge.

The solution I found, like the other poster who replied, was to use a USB-A to USB-C cable I had lying around. It does charge very slightly slower (15W vs 18W I think) but it’s fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kalsco posted:

If you have a holiday set in your calendar Siri Suggestions should ask if you want to disable your alarm during that period but for doing it manually I usually just have to turn the alarm off and remember to turn it back on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also once the alarm is active (what the phone is in bed mode), you can long press it on the Lock Screen to disable it only for the next day.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

The old card is dead once you activate the new one, even if it hasn't expired yet.

The infrastructure exists for your card to be updated in Apple Pay automatically, but it's bank/card issuer dependent.

Thanks, I honestly had no idea. I guess it's been ~5 years since I got the credit card so it doesn't happen often enough for me.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So does Face ID

This was apparently recently added but is afaict arbitrarily restricted to certain models so still a miss in my book :colbert:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

FCKGW posted:

If you have a holiday set in your calendar Siri Suggestions should ask if you want to disable your alarm during that period but for doing it manually I usually just have to turn the alarm off and remember to turn it back on.

smackfu posted:

Also once the alarm is active (what the phone is in bed mode), you can long press it on the Lock Screen to disable it only for the next day.

SlowBloke posted:

Use an automation in shortcuts to run DND immersion mode at your favorite intervals.

Yeah using the Shortcuts thing seemed like the best result but that's some premium rear end jank and more steps than it needs to be. Sigh. Probably my best solution is using calendars tho, I guess functionally the same but a little more reliant on me being remotely capable of remembering to do anything. Thanks y'all.

Other Q: Theoretically I should have the option of adding my local media (music) files through iTunes to upload to my phone. I'm on Windows. This doesn't work. Online guides suggest some options (iPhone -> Music -> Checkbox there to Synic Music (isn't there), or, Summary/Options - Has a "Sync only checked songs and videos" but it's greyed out). Syncing doesn't actually do anything. All my stuff is "in" my library and appropriately points back to it's home folder (separate drive). Click sync and... Nothing has shown up. What gives?

I know there's apparently also an option to manually upload to iCloud/Dropbox or whatever and then pull the files from there into the phone but I'd rather just sort through this means. I did it like 15 years ago with an iPod no problem, but maybe my feeble brain has atrophied.
it was some iCloud bullshit i mad

e: this is some truly obnoxious bullshit - i can turn off icloud syncing to do as i please but then it fails to recognize my phone at all. gently caress off.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 1, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Rather than trying to upload mp3 files directly to your phone, your best bet is to add those local songs to a playlist in Apple Music or Spotify of whatever your streaming app of choice is, on your pc. Download them as an offline playlist and they should work.

Avoid using iTunes for windows if you can.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Very dumb question here, but has anyone made good use of Smart Reminder Lists? I have about 6 different lists in reminders (General reminders, shopping, work, etc.) to keep different to-do lists separate and I'm not sure what the benefit is to having smart lists, since I'm not sure how many reminders would really cross over across multiple lists? I'm sure it's useful though so I'm curious how other people use it to see if there's any other way I ought to be organising my stuff.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Question Mark Mound posted:

Very dumb question here, but has anyone made good use of Smart Reminder Lists? I have about 6 different lists in reminders (General reminders, shopping, work, etc.) to keep different to-do lists separate and I'm not sure what the benefit is to having smart lists, since I'm not sure how many reminders would really cross over across multiple lists? I'm sure it's useful though so I'm curious how other people use it to see if there's any other way I ought to be organising my stuff.

I previously used one that shows me all high priority reminders from specific lists scheduled over the next seven days but that was when I was dealing with a lot of scheduled tasks I needed to keep track of and couldn't just use the "Scheduled" smart list that's built in.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Most of my lists are smart lists with smart tags for...

#personal
#work
#things-borrowed
#invoices (I split internet service family memberships with friends)
#shopping
#home-diy
#bills
#vacation
#costco

I rely heavily on "Today", "Scheduled", and "All" to consolidate these all into one master list so I can get more of a overarching chronological idea of what's on my plate, and if I want to dive deeper into specific categories, I can use a smart list. These tags let me easily filter across all my lists at once and categorize things a little better without having to jump into each list to look at things. You can even setup a smart list with multiple smart tags, so maybe you want one list for invoices and bills since they're similar but not quite the same.

I also really like that Fantastical, a third party calendar app, integrates scheduled reminders and displays them in a calendar view and on their widgets so I can easily check them off when I'm looking at my agenda for the day. Apple should really add this to the calendar app, along with colored dots for specific calendars:

Smart tagging is huge across most of Apple's apps - It's great in Reminders, where you can add smart tags within notes and easily sort and filter them and create folders for specific collections of tags.

It bums me out that haven't added smart filtering/sorting to the iOS version of Photos, Mail (although I use Spark on mobile), and Apple Music - their macOS apps have them. I want to be able to create a smart photo album that identifies specific people or animals and sorts all of them, or a smart playlist that pulls in specific artist's DJ sets all into one big playlist.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 2, 2024

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Corb3t posted:

Hmm, that seems to be more or less how I use it with mostly using the Today view, but with smart tags rather than individual fixed lists for each category. With your workflow do all your reminders just get added the default "Reminders" list and then the smart lists do all the actual separation with those tags? That seems to be the most natural way to use smart lists, but I suppose I'm struggling to see how it's functionally different from using separate lists other than it being quicker to create a "new" list by just typing a new #tag when making a new reminder. Although I'm also maybe just an old gently caress who is too used to file structure folders and subfolders to think about things any other way! :)

That feature in Fantastical looks great though and it's really something Apple should steal be inspired by.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Corb3t posted:

#personal
#work
#things-borrowed
#invoices (I split internet service family memberships with friends)
#shopping
#home-diy
#bills
#vacation
#costco

I rely heavily on "Today", "Scheduled", and "All" to consolidate these all into one master list so I can get more of a overarching chronological idea of what's on my plate, and if I want to dive deeper into specific categories, I can use a smart list. These tags let me easily filter across all my lists at once and categorize things a little better without having to jump into each list to look at things. You can even setup a smart list with multiple smart tags, so maybe you want one list for invoices and bills since they're similar but not quite the same.

I also really like that Fantastical, a third party calendar app, integrates scheduled reminders and displays them in a calendar view and on their widgets so I can easily check them off when I'm looking at my agenda for the day. Apple should really add this to the calendar app, along with colored dots for specific calendars:

Smart tagging is huge across most of Apple's apps - It's great in Reminders, where you can add smart tags within notes and easily sort and filter them and create folders for specific collections of tags.

It bums me out that haven't added smart filtering/sorting to the iOS version of Photos, Mail (although I use Spark on mobile), and Apple Music - their macOS apps have them. I want to be able to create a smart photo album that identifies specific people or animals and sorts all of them, or a smart playlist that pulls in specific artist's DJ sets all into one big playlist.

I haven’t really played around at all with Reminders but I might have to look into it if it plays this nicely with Fantastical (which I love!)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

With your workflow do all your reminders just get added the default "Reminders" list and then the smart lists do all the actual separation with those tags? That seems to be the most natural way to use smart lists, but I suppose I'm struggling to see how it's functionally different from using separate lists other than it being quicker to create a "new" list by just typing a new #tag when making a new reminder. Although I'm also maybe just an old gently caress who is too used to file structure folders and subfolders to think about things any other way! :)

That's exactly why I use tags - the smart lists do all the updating automatically and can add the same item to multiple smart lists if I need a reminder to be able displayed on two lists at once in real-time.

You're completely right - smart tags/lists goes against the hierarchical folder organization structure that we're all so accustomed to, but it does offer more flexibility with automatic sorting and filtering.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm not sure if this question specifically belongs here since the iPhone is only part of the equation but here goes: I have an iPhone 15 Pro running 17.2.1 and a 2023 Chevrolet Bolt. I use CarPlay in the Bolt every time I drive and generally it works as intended (until the 17.2.1 update there was a problem with wireless charging in the Bolt but that has been fixed), but lately when I play music through the Music app via CarPlay once in a while a song will suddenly start rewinding playing backwards at I'm guessing 4x speed until it hits the start of the song and then starts playing as normal until it randomly does this again. I will skip to another song and the same action will inevitably happen. Sometimes I can select a different album to play and this will fix it, but sometimes not.

Has anyone else run into this bizarre behavior before?

I have this exact combination of phone and car, but rarely use the music app. In general wireless CarPlay works perfectly, but I wonder if your issue could have something to do with downloaded vs streaming tracks. Have you noticed if that makes a difference?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can I turn off “FaceTime voicemail” on ios17?

FaceTime Audio used to be a great way to call my wife hands-free, like on a bike ride. If she didn’t answer, it would just “bonk” and my music would resume.

Now I have to fumble to hang up before the voicemail beep like on a regular call. Voicemail is for old people

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just use Siri to hang up like a boss.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I have this exact combination of phone and car, but rarely use the music app. In general wireless CarPlay works perfectly, but I wonder if your issue could have something to do with downloaded vs streaming tracks. Have you noticed if that makes a difference?

I think this might be it- my car was completely up to date as is my phone. I haven;t run into the issue in a bit, but I'll keep my ears open. Its an odd one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Leave a nice voicemail to your loving wife

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

hatty posted:

Leave a nice voicemail to your loving wife

Guy probably sleeps in a big bed with her

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I both love and hate this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2n2ftM-MwI

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm curious but I ain't clicking any video with a title card like that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

https://www.clicks.tech/product/clicks-for-iphone
160 loving dollars, holy poo poo lmao
:eyepop:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope they salvaged 10,000 Blackberry keyboards from a landfill for that project.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Seems too big and dumb to at least not put a battery in it so it could double as an extended power bank.

Also imagining someone pulling out a pro max with that thing attached to it is making me giggle. Stick a magsafe battery on the back, maybe some lens attachments, a folding front cover...just AR gun nerd levels of poo poo on your phone.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 4, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

Seems too big and dumb to at least not put a battery in it so it could double as an extended power bank.

Also imagining someone pulling out a pro max with that thing attached to it is making me giggle.

This is exactly what I was thinking

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also imagining someone pulling out a pro max with that thing attached to it is making me giggle. Stick a magsafe battery on the back, maybe some lens attachments, a folding front cover...just AR gun nerd levels of poo poo on your phone.

Finally the Booster Boy comes to iPhone. We think you're going to love it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Finally the Booster Boy comes to iPhone. We think you're going to love it.

I had the STD Handy Boy. Yep.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

does anyone else remember the cybiko

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

I had the STD Handy Boy. Yep.

They have pills for that now.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

does anyone else remember the cybiko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VEBOseAzM

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got in my car today and for some reason my CarPlay was flipped backwards. I mean not like the screen contents were mirrored, but the navbar was on the right, all the elements which are traditionally on the right were on the left, etc.

I pulled into a parking lot and pulled up my phone to see if this was some iOS update change but I didn't see anything in CarPlay settings about display ... direction? Was fairly annoyed for the remainder of my drive and promptly forgot about it.

Then got in my car to ride home an hour later and it was back to normal.

Anyone else have this experience? :raise:

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

I think I’ve only seen that correctly happen when renting a right hand drive vehicle. I assume it’s part of the interface.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Have these fools never heard of being Sherlocked?

Introducing the iPhone 16 Max S:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Three Olives posted:

Have these fools never heard of being Sherlocked?

Introducing the iPhone 16 Max S:

Finally, i have a place for my tall cat meme background...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
All 10 of the asian girls who bought that really tall Nokia Lumia will be very pleased.