Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Fifty Three posted:

Ask him what coach the Steelers could hire that would reliably get them winning seasons in perpetuity and, failing that, just try to steer him away from the thinly veiled racism that underpins every other moron calling for Tomlin to be fired

Also, if he's ok with any success Tomlin has after being fired, since a coach in his early 50s that won a Super Bowl will immediately be hired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I was never a picky eater per se but I definitely didn't clear my plate and my mother at one point had tons of bloodwork ordered on me to make sure there wasn't a problem. She was so confused that whenever we'd go to a restaurant I'd inhale things, or I would literally be CRAVING fast food whenever we went on car trips. Or that I started eating more at home when I realized I could cover everything in A1.

It somehow never occurred to my mother that she was a terrible cook with a bizarre aversion to any kind of spices. She could make presentable meals, but it was just the blandest poo poo in the world and I probably had low blood pressure or something and was craving sodium.

Mom's top recipes included

- Medium-Well London Broil marinated in low sodium newman's own italian dressing (A1)
- Hand made perogies without spice (A1)
- Squishy, bland quiche (absolutely not)
- Boiled veggies from a can (A1)
- Turkey and veggie casserole with a cup of cheddar cheese

But writing this out every thing with her is the blandest thing imaginable. Her preferred drink is a 7&7. She thinks Arugula is fancy. We never EVER went to a mexican restaurant growing up because it was "too spicy." Of course my sister married an indian dude.

Anyway I do all the cooking in the house now whenever we get together and everyone is better off for it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Coco13 posted:

Also, if he's ok with any success Tomlin has after being fired, since a coach in his early 50s that won a Super Bowl will immediately be hired.

Yeah I was thinking that the bears and chargers would be pretty good with Tomlin

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm terrified of Tomlin taking over the Chargers.

But also I think Tomlin and Pittsburgh might be better off apart kind of like the Eagles and Reid

jaadee
May 3, 2013

wandler20 posted:

Has anyone upgrades their router lately? I'm considering upgrading mine. I prefer mesh for how my house is setup and currently have an older Netgear Orbi setup that I like. I haven't really paid attention the last few years so I'm not really sure what wifi 6 or 7 or whatever has to offer or even if they're worth upgrading too. Anyone have some info that can help me out?

We've got gigabit up and down but were still using the hardware provided by our ISP and it just wasn't cutting it once I tried inhouse streaming ripped 4K blurays at their full bitrate. The signal falloff 20 feet from the router through a single wall was absurd. I researched starting off of thewirecutter's mesh wifi reviews and sprung for a pair of ASUS ZenWiFi XT8.

One functions as the router and the other I plunked in the den where I have my PC plugged in to my TV. This lets use wired networking connections from both the PC and the TV into the back of the node. Even though the remote node itself is wirelessly backhauled to the router node rather than wired in, I get 50-60% of that gigabit connection which is far more than I need. The XT8s are complete overkill for our 2200sqft house otherwise. There was one squirrely firmware update that I applied and subsequently rolled back because it instantiated a memory leak that over time would cause the remote node to stop responding and require a factory reset.

If you're not a power user you can definitely save a few bucks and go for a TP-Link or Eero or whatever. The article I linked is a good starting place.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tomlin's career record is .622 with ten playoff visits in 17 years, so he's a winning coach and anyone who is mad about having Tomlin as their coach should consider the majority of the alternatives: losing coaches.

That said, maybe it's time for a change for them, because things can get stagnant after 17 goddamn years, holy poo poo.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Offer him Luke Getsy

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Fifty Three posted:

Ask him what coach the Steelers could hire that would reliably get them winning seasons in perpetuity and, failing that, just try to steer him away from the thinly veiled racism that underpins every other moron calling for Tomlin to be fired

Well obviously they'd have their choice Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher, Andy Reid... they'd definitely be jumping to coach the Steelers and wouldn't be a complete failure like THAT guy. Hell maybe even Big Ben will come back and coach!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Offer him Luke Getsy

The Packers this defensive super genius I guess they could be willing to part with for a nominal fee.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 5, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Smoking Crow posted:

posters of tff i come to you with a problem: a football e/n

so my dad is a huge steelers fan. he loves the steelers. i would talk to him about the steelers before but not in any detail since i quit watching football like ~10 years ago. now that i've gotten fully back into it with this lions team, i've been talking to him more and more about football bc it's something that we can talk about and not have it go into angry shouting or whatever. except that he won't shut up about how much he wants mike tomlin fired. every game he tells me about how this is the one where tomlin loses and finally gets canned. he begs and pleads for the steelers to lose so he can have a losing season and get fired. he tells me about how he wants tj watt to be traded to a better team so he can be rewarded with a super bowl that he will never get in pittsburgh under mike t

what do i do? how do i convince him that losing tomlin won't make your qb room any better? how do i get him to talk about literally anything else about the steelers except mike tomlin jesus christ
Tell him rooting for losing is for loser franchises, now great ones like the Steelers

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

Tomlin's career record is .622 with ten playoff visits in 17 years, so he's a winning coach and anyone who is mad about having Tomlin as their coach should consider the majority of the alternatives: losing coaches.

That said, maybe it's time for a change for them, because things can get stagnant after 17 goddamn years, holy poo poo.

His last playoff win was 2016. They've underperformed their talent the past 5 years, but that's basically because they've had talent everywhere but QB. As a Ravens fan I'd rather they stick with Tomlin than roll the dice on a new coach. That should tell you everything right there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I don't like Shannon Sharpe.

Somebody ordered me, not told me, ordered me to watch the Katt Williams epsiode.

This motherfucker came in to burn the house down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRRZiRQxTs&t=875s

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Somebody ordered me, not told me, ordered me to watch the Katt Williams epsiode.

I don't think I have the ability to listen to Katt or Shannon talk for almost 3 hours.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don't think I have the ability to listen to Katt or Shannon talk for almost 3 hours.

That’s how Caro got the $50 million

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

His last playoff win was 2016. They've underperformed their talent the past 5 years, but that's basically because they've had talent everywhere but QB. As a Ravens fan I'd rather they stick with Tomlin than roll the dice on a new coach. That should tell you everything right there.

Yeah. God knows I'd kill for the Panthers to be even sniffing the kind of stability Tomlin brings to the table right now, but the Steelers are clearly in need of a change. Whether that's at HC or elsewhere, they need to reevaluate something that they're doing, because whatever it is ain't it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Smoking Crow posted:

posters of tff i come to you with a problem: a football e/n

so my dad is a huge steelers fan. he loves the steelers. i would talk to him about the steelers before but not in any detail since i quit watching football like ~10 years ago. now that i've gotten fully back into it with this lions team, i've been talking to him more and more about football bc it's something that we can talk about and not have it go into angry shouting or whatever. except that he won't shut up about how much he wants mike tomlin fired. every game he tells me about how this is the one where tomlin loses and finally gets canned. he begs and pleads for the steelers to lose so he can have a losing season and get fired. he tells me about how he wants tj watt to be traded to a better team so he can be rewarded with a super bowl that he will never get in pittsburgh under mike t

what do i do? how do i convince him that losing tomlin won't make your qb room any better? how do i get him to talk about literally anything else about the steelers except mike tomlin jesus christ

Buy him an account and tell him to pick an NFCS team. Any team. He'll be running back to Pittsburgh so fast.

Any one of our teams would take Tomlin in a second.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah. God knows I'd kill for the Panthers to be even sniffing the kind of stability Tomlin brings to the table right now, but the Steelers are clearly in need of a change. Whether that's at HC or elsewhere, they need to reevaluate something that they're doing, because whatever it is ain't it

Overdrafting Pickett and backing him up with cafeteria trash was probably part of it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

Yeesh, both of these guys are fine in small doses but they're definitely the loud ones at the party and there's no way I'd be able to listen to that.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GD_American posted:

tl;dw? im not watching all that

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Uh guys did you not read his post? He was ordered to do it. He had no choice.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Shannon barely gets 2 sentences at a time in.

Katt never yells. It's 3 hours of monologue.

It's gone viral so you can get the big bits anywhere online. I'm just dying laughing at the tone the whole time

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kat tends to only yell when telling a joke to the audience.

Also being old sucks. Had this loving chill (was outside when it happened) back pain that has been nagging me for days. I think at one point it's gone but nope it shows up the next day. Ugh.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

jaadee posted:

We've got gigabit up and down but were still using the hardware provided by our ISP and it just wasn't cutting it once I tried inhouse streaming ripped 4K blurays at their full bitrate. The signal falloff 20 feet from the router through a single wall was absurd. I researched starting off of thewirecutter's mesh wifi reviews and sprung for a pair of ASUS ZenWiFi XT8.

One functions as the router and the other I plunked in the den where I have my PC plugged in to my TV. This lets use wired networking connections from both the PC and the TV into the back of the node. Even though the remote node itself is wirelessly backhauled to the router node rather than wired in, I get 50-60% of that gigabit connection which is far more than I need. The XT8s are complete overkill for our 2200sqft house otherwise. There was one squirrely firmware update that I applied and subsequently rolled back because it instantiated a memory leak that over time would cause the remote node to stop responding and require a factory reset.

If you're not a power user you can definitely save a few bucks and go for a TP-Link or Eero or whatever. The article I linked is a good starting place.

Great post thank you. My kids are I do some gaming and we stream everything including Plex with some 4k rips so hoping to lessen the minor hiccups that come up there.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Kat tends to only yell when telling a joke to the audience.

Also being old sucks. Had this loving chill (was outside when it happened) back pain that has been nagging me for days. I think at one point it's gone but nope it shows up the next day. Ugh.

Tried stretching your legs and hips? Particularly hamstrings? I know whenever my back is getting sore it's because my hips, groin and hamstrings are for whatever reason carrying a bit of tension and a follow along stretching video can make a world of difference.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm flying out to pick up a car in Norman, OK on Saturday and driving it back to Mobile. Can either run through Dallas or shove east down 271 to Shreveport. Anything worth seeing along the road?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, I'm looking at going to Houston for the CFB championship, and it's at least $850+fees for the ticket, and pretty much all direct flights to Houston from Seattle are sold out unless I buy first class so I'd probably have to fly to Austin or Dallas and drive it. Then hotel...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

seiferguy posted:

Man, I'm looking at going to Houston for the CFB championship, and it's at least $850+fees for the ticket, and pretty much all direct flights to Houston from Seattle are sold out unless I buy first class so I'd probably have to fly to Austin or Dallas and drive it. Then hotel...

I think this is the biggest argument against having it at the Rose Bowl every year. I was lucky to live in Miami when the NCG was there AND my team ( Florida) was playing in it. So I was able to shell out a huge amount for tickets and host a few college friends so they saved on a hotel.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lol, and here I'm too cheap to shell out for the FCS Championship Game when Montana's in it. In my defense if my dad were going I'd absolutely do it, he had season tickets my whole life and is the reason I'm a fan, but it wound up being the same weekend he's on another trip.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

If they win, you won't care about any of that at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Last day in Thailand/SE Asia and I am so ready to go home. A lot of fun but I remembered about a week ago why I only do this trip once every few years.

Also regarding Tomlin, 17 years without a losing season is insane even if it has gotten stale. Someone in one of the N/V threads said that the Brady-Belichek Pats broke a lot of brains regarding coaching expectations, and I'm inclined to agree. The Lions haven't even had half that many non-losing seasons since 9/11!

seiferguy posted:

I have a friend who's using some settlement money from her somewhat-recent divorce to go. Queen poo poo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

swickles posted:

I think this is the biggest argument against having it at the Rose Bowl every year. I was lucky to live in Miami when the NCG was there AND my team ( Florida) was playing in it. So I was able to shell out a huge amount for tickets and host a few college friends so they saved on a hotel.

Hotel seems the least expensive (I could use airline miles of which I have an excess amount of), the biggest deterrent is having to fly to a nearby airport and driving it. No friends / family want to do it so it'd probably be a solo thing and yeah, not feeling that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

Hotel seems the least expensive (I could use airline miles of which I have an excess amount of), the biggest deterrent is having to fly to a nearby airport and driving it. No friends / family want to do it so it'd probably be a solo thing and yeah, not feeling that.

You said all direct flights are sold out...why not a 1 stop flight?

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 5, 2024

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Coco13 posted:

God, the Seahawks and Steelers are gonna swap coaches in the next couple years aren't they

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BlindSite posted:

Tried stretching your legs and hips? Particularly hamstrings? I know whenever my back is getting sore it's because my hips, groin and hamstrings are for whatever reason carrying a bit of tension and a follow along stretching video can make a world of difference.

Yeah gonna try that. Gonna take PTO to at least heal cuz sitting all day is probably not helping too much.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Silly Burrito posted:

You said all direct flights are sold out...why not a 1 stop flight?

I thought about that, it'd probably be easier to just fly into Austin or Dallas and just roadtrip it :)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

this is the one you want

Seattle -> Austin roundtrip, arrive Saturday and get home Monday night. Should be enough time to drive from Austin as well. It's about a 3 hour drive to Houston from Austin so you won't have to rush your trip at all.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't help but feel pretty lovely as it hits afternoon on my last friday of leave about returning to work. I think that for my mental health I'm gonna have to start the dogshit job search again in a rapidly contracting economy, should be fun. At least at this point I'd be happier digging ditches than doing what I'm doing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

I thought about that, it'd probably be easier to just fly into Austin or Dallas and just roadtrip it :)

If you really don't care about driving, you can also look at Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge or even New Orleans as possible airports too. Personally I'd rather just make a 1 or 2 stop flight, but hey you do you. Come by close to my area, and I'll treat you to some pepperjack boudin balls at Billy's. :)

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

seiferguy posted:

If you fly into another major city, see if there's an alumni group. Very possible there's a chartered bus someone's set up.

Not sure it's any more convenient than a multi-leg flight, but at least you might not have to drive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Its Rinaldo posted:

God, the Seahawks and Steelers are gonna swap coaches in the next couple years aren't they

It'd be sorta fitting for the Steelers to be coached by someone who knows that steel is so strong it can't be melted by jet fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

this is the one you want

Seattle -> Austin roundtrip, arrive Saturday and get home Monday night. Should be enough time to drive from Austin as well. It's about a 3 hour drive to Houston from Austin so you won't have to rush your trip at all.

The NC game is Monday night

Saturday through Wednesday to OKC on Southwest is around $400. Three hour drive to Arlington.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 5, 2024