Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

Someone with a TV would be able to switch to news or weather and look at the time there, or go by what programming was on. Maybe it's just "we've always had a no clock rule" and the people running the prisons have forgotten the reason to? Not allowing them makes sense if it's the year 1900 and a typical desk clock can be a lethal bludgeon.

It's so inmates can't use the TV clocks to coordinate actions. E.g. at 5 til 9, cause a big problem on one end of the building that draws personnel away from my end of the building, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
While we are on the topic, here is a great article in the New Yorker about the Sony SRF-39FP AM radio "The IPod of Prison":

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-ipod-of-prison

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I finally got around to powering up the Compaq Portable III, and good news, it passes the smoke test.

Bad news, the power and disk LEDs keep flashing and otherwise doesn't power up at all.

A bit of cursory googling suggests this could be due to blown capacitors in the power supply triggering the short circuit protection. So, regrettably, that smell is most likely not piss but blown caps.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Today’s tech relic, a Macintosh SE FDHD with a hard drive.

Previously owned by a school, as evidenced by what I’m guessing is crayon on the front of it.

Right now it powers on, beeps, but doesn’t display anything, and I don’t hear the hard drive spin up. Probably time to take it apart and see if I can smack the spindle free on the hard drive with the butt of a screwdriver.

Well, a quick pop open of the case reveals exactly why its beeping and not booting (frankly I'm surprised it still beeps). I have never in all of my days of loving with ancient electronics, seen a cap explode this badly

:wtc:

Even a random cap on the edge of the board is swollen hilariously huge

So this brings me to my next question. This being an SE FDHD with a hard drive, can you swap a normal SE motherboard in and have it work? I have an SE with a cracked CRT that otherwise works fine. Can I swap that motherboard in to this? Anyone know offhand?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Well, a quick pop open of the case reveals exactly why its beeping and not booting (frankly I'm surprised it still beeps). I have never in all of my days of loving with ancient electronics, seen a cap explode this badly

:wtc:

Even a random cap on the edge of the board is swollen hilariously huge

So this brings me to my next question. This being an SE FDHD with a hard drive, can you swap a normal SE motherboard in and have it work? I have an SE with a cracked CRT that otherwise works fine. Can I swap that motherboard in to this? Anyone know offhand?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Christ, i haven't seen anything like that ever, except for the literally sloshing, liquid filled electrolytics from the 1930s.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

where's the battery?

i'm guessing varta battery bomb damage took out that cap when someone tried to power it up
the good news is that you can order a new PCB with the gerbers from https://github.com/kr239/Macintosh-SE-Reloaded

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

drat I wonder how does that taste like

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ll take it apart this weekend and assess the full damage. I’m hoping it’s salvageable.

Beve Stuscemi has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jan 5, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the board isn't salvageable, that replacement board sounds like a fun project.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://roadrunnerelectronics.com/wiring-pencils-or-wiring-pens/

You might want to get one of these with solderable wire (i think one of the brand names is Posyn) to make the job of bridging destroyed tracks easier.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Negostrike posted:

drat I wonder how does that taste like

it looks like citrus i bet it's delicious citrus

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a minute to take the SE FDHD apart last night and somehow its SO MUCH worse than I initially thought by just looking into the case. There are actually two spots on the board where things went wrong

Note the random cap laying on the table. That was just rolling around in the case, completely detatched

People working on these old machines like to say "the battery exploded", or "it blew up", but this battery literally exploded. The guts of it are sticking out of one side, and the terminal is just hanging in the air on the other.

Other components besides the caps seem to have just puked their guts out onto the board as well

They're making their own stalagmites out of whatever is in them.

The actual caps that are left on the board are just completely destroyed

The damage also went upwards into the chassis. This big rust spot is right above the battery, implying that when it went, it went violently

At this point the damage is so bad, and the board is so destroyed, that I think I want to take a crack at repairing it just to say I did it. The amazing thing out of all of this is that the mac still chimes when you turn it on!! So some of the critical stuff in there is still working. If I fail at fixing it, well, the odds were stacked against me anyway. If I succeed, it might just be the most ridiculous electronics rescue short of the Gameboy that got bombed in the gulf war.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dear God in heaven.

Start by giving us a post wash image, we can only imagine the damage under the crud.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I went to the hardware store yesterday and bought a bunch of 99% IPA, so I’ll try to give it a bath tonight.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

thanks for the reminder that I never got around to opening the SE that was included in a big mac lot I bought a couple years back
incredibly, it still looks pristine inside, I don't think it can have been used much

hi battery!

bye battery!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YOU DONT SAY!!

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

By popular demand posted:

Dear God in heaven.

Start by giving us a post wash image, we can only imagine the damage under the crud.

I had a 386 laptop like that once, after I washed off the crud there was nothing left.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah I had an SE/30 with an exploded battery; several small components just came right off the board with a pretty gentle toothbrush scrub. Eventually gave it to a friend who pulled the ICs and installed them into one of those repro SE/30 boards you can get these days.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

one of those repro SE/30 boards you can get these days.

That's wild and I figure it's people who never had to actually use SE/30s buying them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s wrong with se/30’s?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What’s wrong with se/30’s?

They're Apple products, OP.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hmmyes:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Here’s the thing about Apple products.

They’re good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bargearse posted:

They’re good.

My Classic II is the best writing machine I've ever owned even though the keyboard for it isn't as good as my PC's weirdo mechanical keyboard.

Apple knew their poo poo in the 80s through the early 90s.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bargearse posted:

They’re good.

You're thinking of apples.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I had a minute to take the SE FDHD apart last night and somehow its SO MUCH worse than I initially thought by just looking into the case. There are actually two spots on the board where things went wrong

Note the random cap laying on the table. That was just rolling around in the case, completely detatched
drat, those lovely red batteries always explode in the most destructive way. Thankfully both the Mac SE and SE/30 I have got had the original purple battery which hadn't even look like leaking. However the surface mount caps on the SE/30 wanted to cause some destruction.

SE logic board with the battery removed

SE/30 before I removed the battery and got it recapped

Bargearse posted:

They’re good.
True that. Happy Belated New Year to you sir

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The corrosion on the SE logic board steel bits is pretty impressive, did someone store it in a sauna?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It was pretty mistreated when I got it. Looks like it was used my a high school Maths teacher back in the day, as there were Hypercard maths apps created on it. However since then it must have been stored in fairly crappy shed or garage.

I've cleaned it up a bit but there's marks in the case that won't come out without further damaging it

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

You Am I posted:

True that. Happy Belated New Year to you sir

Hey, Happy New Year. I’ve finally gotten around to sorting out the stuff I brought over from my old place and I might have some more Mac stuff. I’ll PL you the details once I’ve sorted it out properly.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
For an update on the Toshiba T3100, I got myself a 3inOneder Toshiba bus card with CF/Ad Lib/Ethernet. Though I might have an plasma screen addiction now since I snagged a cheap T5200. That looks like a much easier system to mess with, two ISA slots and CPU/BIOS upgrade options, plus easier to disassemble. It's got these weirdo 40-pin SIMMs that will probably be impossible to upgrade, but it looks to have at least 4MB which is perfectly respectable for a 386.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
3 in O'neder

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bargearse posted:

Hey, Happy New Year. I’ve finally gotten around to sorting out the stuff I brought over from my old place and I might have some more Mac stuff. I’ll PL you the details once I’ve sorted it out properly.

Ah nice, thanks. I'll keep an eye on PMs :)

Picked up this LCD TV recently. Some no name brand, but the connections on the back of it made it a worthy pick up:

(yes, I am using an Apple ADB cable as I didn't have a S-Video cable at the time)

I got this S-Video adapter for Amigas in a bag that had a ton of SCART cables and a SCART switch. As you see in the first picture, it works great

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just picked up a flat earth shortwave station from the other side of the planet:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just picked up a flat earth shortwave station from the other side of the planet:

I know "heil Hitler" but what's the other number?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

73 is ham radio code for "best regards".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

73 is ham radio code for "best regards".

Is it normal to end your messages with heil Hitler, best regards in the ham world? Or is it just these guys.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it normal to end your messages with heil Hitler, best regards in the ham world? Or is it just these guys.

A quick google says that 88s in the ham world is the equivalent of signing off with XOXO, so I think you're diving a bit too deep into this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That seems like a tradition they may want to revisit

(unless it's a "why should we change, he's the one who sucks" situation)