Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you think that’s impressive, Lamar Jackson is going to win the MVP without any pro bowl skill position players at all!

That is impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you think that’s impressive, Lamar Jackson is going to win the MVP without any pro bowl skill position players at all!

You're right, they're both extremely impressive QBs in their own right :hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What's more impressive if he wins it while not being even the best QB in his conference.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That's what honestly scary. The fact Ravens got dinged up and both games showed.. yeah that wasn't a problem at all.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

What's more impressive if he wins it while not being even the best QB in his conference.

Whoa whoa I think the world of Joe Flacco but PUMP THE BRAKES

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Whoa whoa I think the world of Joe Flacco but PUMP THE BRAKES

But what would the NFL be without overwhelming recency bias?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hmm

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1743344758422954225?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What an indictment of Bowles.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Bryce is going to break rookie QB records.

The ones that David Carr set.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What an indictment of Bowles.

I'd love for him to be right, but still: lol, lmao

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Bryce is going to break rookie QB records.

The ones that David Carr set.

He'll go down in history.

As a cautionary tale.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nervous posted:

As a cautionary tale.

a cautionary short story

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ripleys believe it or not

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That's nice of Bowles to be so complimentary. I hope he's right. I doubt he's right, but I hope he's right.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nervous posted:

As a cautionary tale.

The bowels Bowles of history

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Stroud in the playoffs would be fun

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I almost want Jacksonville to win the AFC South, just because I think Stroud would do better @ Kansas City then at home against Cleveland.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mahomes would dissect the Texans sorry rear end secondary

Flacco might too but Mahomes definitely would

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intruder posted:

Mahomes would dissect the Texans sorry rear end secondary

Flacco might too but Mahomes definitely would

Mahomes struggled against a pretty bad Packers secondary you would be fine

Though this year like 75% of defenses suck anyway

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It is a famously resurgent year for defense. Except in Green Bay.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I disagree even the good defenses will have multiple games where they get lit up for 30+

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tom Clements might be the greatest QB coach in league history.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Jordan Love

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wrong thread

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bryce’s last game: 11/18 93 yards no picks or TDs

A few fumbles. That stat line includes a 46 yard almost touchdown to Chark on a busted coverage. Rotoworld sums it up.

quote:

Bryce Young completed 11-of-18 attempts for 94 yards in the Panthers’ 9-0 Week 18 loss against the Bucs, adding two rushes for 24 yards.

Young was sacked three times and nearly threw a pick for a touchdown in the first half. The rookie, as usual, looked lost and had trouble seeing over linemen. Young checked down time and again, and was robbed of a touchdown when he hit a wide-open DJ Chark for what should have been a 46-yard score in the first half. Chark fumbled in the end zone and the Bucs recovered. This marks the merciful end of Young’s catastrophic rookie season for the beleaguered Panthers, who have quickly become the laughingstock of American sports under volatile owner David Tepper. Young this season posted the lowest adjusted EPA per drop back of any quarterback in the NFL. He had the ninth lowest completion rate over expected, with 11 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Whoever takes the Carolina head coaching job this offseason will be tasked with turning Young into a pro-caliber quarterback — a tall task indeed.

Worst performance by a season long qb I’ve ever watched. Not much difference between him and pickles, except panthers spent more for him. Consistently showed he could not reliably complete basic throws. very poor accuracy and it’s clear his footwork isn’t going to work in the nfl. Could not throw deep balls at all; earlier in the season before the book was written on him, he regularly through go routes out of bounds. Looks and acts like a kid out there and I understand why he was hidden in the preseason.

Bryce was able to pad his stats a bunch in garbage time. Even in games his defenders will point to, Green Bay especially, was a whole lot of yards against prevent. Just look at his yards prior to the 4th quarter against Green Bay. He also consistently showed a lack of awareness or urgency at the end of games. There were multiple times the panthers were within one score with the ball in the fourth and the panthers would run the clock out on themselves. Guy just did not understand situational football at all.

He minimized turnovers, but not for lack of trying. He almost got housed again yesterday. Really looked like as the year went on he and the coaches trimmed down the playbook to focus on the throws he could make. Nothing at all downfield in the second half of the season. Yes, there were offensive line problems, but Bryce’s complete lack of down field ability let defenses blitz more. Bryce made the o line worse made Bryce worse etc.

And the way he was covered really makes me believe in Alabama conspiracies. Obviously the job of the color guy is to get people interested in the game. Vilma’s opening bump yesterday was about how Bryce was “coming into his own” as a qb, a week after maybe the worst game for a panthers qb since like Randy Fasani. The various talking heads constantly talked about his surrounding cast and never mentioned the constant bad reads, throws, accuracy on completed throws etc. I did like how Vilma kept having to catch himself criticizing Bryce. Vilma is a good color guy.

With every game Bryce played, the jump required to become a good nfl starter got bigger and bigger. I have no idea how you get that guy to league average, to say nothing about being worth what was paid for him. I’ve never seen a first round qb unable to elevate players around him like Bryce. Bryce didn’t help anyone. Bad receivers? Give them a better ball to catch. Even yesterday Sullivan, who’s is a JAG, dropped a pass on an in route. But the throw was behind him and high and Vilma even pointed it out. That was a constant with Bryce. And even his “big” game against Green Bay’s 4th quarter prevent was mostly Chark making circus catches. If you need wide receivers to make highlight reel catches to be productive, that isn’t an indictment of the wide receivers.

And even if you think there’s enough with Bryce to develop into an nfl starter, and become one good enough to overcome his short comings, how long is that going to take? The clock is ticking on him physically. How many hits does Bryce have in him? Someone on here defended Bryce’s durability by saying he hadn’t gotten injured yet, which is idiocy. He gets ragdolled constantly and in yesterday’s game showed he’s starting to dive in the pocket. The last thing he needs is starting to see ghosts.

No matter what happens coaching wise, if the panthers are going to have any success in the next few years, they cannot go into next season with Bryce as the starter. They have to have camp competition for him. He has to earn the job in a new system, not just given the job because the owner wants it.

Based on what we saw this season, Bryce’s negatives do not outweigh his positives. I do not believe you can craft an nfl offense with a player like him.

Probably going to go down as the worst draft pick in nfl history. He’s a product of Alabama system with their entire PR machine behind him and he simply cannot make nfl throws. And tepper swallowed it hook line and sinker and blew the team apart because of it.

Tepper has completely destroyed the panthers, and Bryce is what we have to show for it.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 8, 2024

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

FizFashizzle posted:

Probably going to go down as the worst draft pick in nfl history.

Young probably actually gives a poo poo about football so he has that over Jamarcus at least.

Tepper is definitely a dumb oval office. condolences cat team

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

Young probably actually gives a poo poo about football so he has that over Jamarcus at least.

Tepper is definitely a dumb oval office. condolences cat team

Russell was a victim of generational trauma and the closest thing he had to a father figure died shortly before or after he was drafted. In retrospect it’s completely understandable he was unable to focus on his job, especially in that situation. And he only went for 1 first rounder. Bryce was two first overall picks and a number 1 wide receiver.

I don’t know if Bryce cares at all. He certainly never played like it, and several times looked like he was realizing he didn’t belong out there. Dude just wants to do game day and dancing with the stars and I’m glad of it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also it's (at least hypothetically) easy to fix someone not caring, if given enough time or the right people around them. Someone being physically, in both height and weight, not in the same world as everyone else is much much harder to work with and adjust to. He's a twig in a pile of leaves kids are jumping in 17 weeks of the year; eventually that twig's gonna break, and there's no way around it and no place you can move it to that will help avoid that fate

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Considering the additional draft capital given up for Young, sure I'll give it to you. I don't hate Jamarcus or anything and understand he had issues but a lot of guys come from even worse backgrounds and find a way to focus. Then again, a shitload of people in real life never get past traumatic poo poo either so I get it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The Panthers should trade for the most mentally and physically tough QB in the league to take Bryce's job: Justin Fields

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I am unironically thinking they have a rare opportunity this off-season to get a replacement caliber QB. Minus last season and simply signing baker mayfield.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Baker is staying in Tampa

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FizFashizzle posted:

Not much difference between him and pickles

This isn't a fair comparison. I can understand why people like pickles even if I don't, but I've never understood the Bryce hype.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Black Sunshine posted:

not like they can do anything else, they're in the playoffs so they can't even really draft a non project QB

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Black Sunshine posted:

Well yeah the time to sign him was last season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So who are you thinking this offseason then, Cousins?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't a fair comparison. I can understand why people like pickles even if I don't, but I've never understood the Bryce hype.

Bryce was a very fun and dynamic college player whereas Clausen played for Notre Dame.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I dunno this might be one of those wojak bell curve meme situations where you have the insane Bama homers with 69iq on one side saying he’s great, a bunch of weirdo analytics guys with 169iq on the other saying he’s great, and then every normal person in the middle of the distro going “he’s a 5’9” smol bean who played every single college and high school game with a massive talent advantage”

I know that meme is supposed to show the truth is at the ends but let’s ignore that in this case because the obvious middle has it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hear me out

CJ Stroud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bryce was a very fun and dynamic college player whereas Clausen played for Notre Dame.

This response made me laugh thank you.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I dunno this might be one of those wojak bell curve meme situations where you have the insane Bama homers with 69iq on one side saying he’s great, a bunch of weirdo analytics guys with 169iq on the other saying he’s great, and then every normal person in the middle of the distro going “he’s a 5’9” smol bean who played every single college and high school game with a massive talent advantage”

I know that meme is supposed to show the truth is at the ends but let’s ignore that in this case because the obvious middle has it.

I'm never gonna put the time into being like an actual serious talent evaluator or whatever but whenever I see a guy who just very obviously to me has a big problem with arm strength or accuracy it's a giant red flag because you can't get away with the same stuff in the NFL that you can in college and Young very much showed me that first one