Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

trevorreznik posted:

Stroud, burrow, hurts, Allen, mahones, Houston Watson, tua, and Lawrence would all have busted on this awful franchise

Burrow fixed the entire loving Bengals organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Abugadu posted:

The Trubs draft and reactions were wonderful.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818639

Trubs trade starts bottom of page 9.

Then lots of Panthers fans bitching about McCaffrey.

Page 32 for Mahomes and all the people making GBS threads on KC for trading up for him.

Page 59 for Packer fan resignation about trading down and missing on Watt

Lol, my immediate response was gently caress you Bears. You need more picks, not less!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Burrow fixed the entire loving Bengals organization.

Cincy has a good OC which the Bears will never have.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Niwrad posted:

Cincy has a good OC which the Bears will never have.

Also historic success with QBs. Young Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton and Jon Kitna would be gods here. Boomer Eisason, Ken Anderson vs who, Sid Luckman?

Edit Jeff Blake in 95 put up twenty yards less than numbers Kramer/Cutler for the top bears season , and Blake is 10th on the Bengals list

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 5, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

There is no way I would ever load this website on any company device lol

You folks are brave as hell

Just lmao if you don't think your corporate it isn't also full of goons.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Niwrad posted:

We need a poll from Bears fans on what they want to do with Fields/#1 pick.

My stance is to begrudgingly move on. Having a cheap QB is like a cheat code and while I think Fields is fine, I don't know if he'll ever be that franchise QB without a great coaching staff which the Bears will never provide. And I hate being in a weird spot where you have to decide whether to commit a bunch of money to someone you're not sure of.

With that said, it would also depend on the trade offers. If some team goes stupid and just throws years of 1st round picks at you, I think you take it.

Trade back just a little and get mhj

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or: draft Caleb and run the fabled two quarterback offense: oops all options

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1743015204802248759?t=qzxNQIEjBgr6GXBKHaROfQ

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I was a hardline "gotta move on from Fields" guy a few weeks ago who has since become increasingly open to the idea of keeping him just because the potential trade down haul is super alluring to me, but weirdly enough this article from The Ringer (which I clicked on expecting to roll my eyes at) cemented in my mind that sticking at 1 and picking a QB is very obviously the soundest strategy (presuming you love at least one of Williams/Maye and you aren't getting a cartoonishly good offer to move down from #1)

It could and probably will all go wrong because it's the Bears, but it has somehow kind of gotten lost in this conversation just how big a deal hitting on an elite QB would actually be for this franchise. Gotta go for it when the opportunity presents itself

that article just assumes a #1 QB pick will be good, that's an absolutely insane assumption!!!!!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Big deal, I’m sure Rodgers also hosted film sessions. Yes, it was probably do ayahuasca and watch Loose Change but same basic idea.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If the Bears keep Fields: He will suck and Caleb Williams will have a great career somewhere else.

If the Bears move on from Fields: Caleb Williams will suck and Fields will have a great career somewhere else.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Rodgers is a big ol moron, but he definitely did good team building crap. He's also still welcome on the Packers bandwagon.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I kind of lump him in with the 'conspiracy theory cousin that you try not to invite to any family functions that you want to have a good time at' now. Like, yeah, he's family, but that doesn't mean I need to like him. He can take a flying gently caress at a rolling donut, or failing that, the moooooon.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So it goes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mike N Eich posted:

100%

And like Sataere said, one of the benefits of trading out of the #1 overall is that with future 1st round picks, if Fields doesn't pan out in the next two years, you give yourself more bullets to get QBs in the future.

Using the the 2032 first through eighth picks the bears select every QB that made it to the playoff

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Abugadu posted:

Page 32 for Mahomes and all the people making GBS threads on KC for trading up for him.

Was I posting then and was that before the Mack trade? Because I know I was melting down over which ever came second

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
We had a whole year of Mitch+Shaheen as rookies in 2017 under John Fox before going to Nagy in 2017, and that year took Roquan. I remember screaming about needing a pass rush instead of off ball linebacker.

The Mack trade wasn't until September and Mack destroyed (int, forced fumble, fumble recovery, sack, td, all in first halfl) the Packers singlehandedly like 4 days after the trade and the bears still lost

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

trevorreznik posted:

Stroud, burrow, hurts, Allen, mahones, Houston Watson, tua, and Lawrence would all have busted on this awful franchise

Lawerence survived Urban Meyer.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Abugadu posted:

I kind of lump him in with the 'conspiracy theory cousin that you try not to invite to any family functions that you want to have a good time at' now. Like, yeah, he's family, but that doesn't mean I need to like him. He can take a flying gently caress at a rolling donut, or failing that, the moooooon.

That reminds me, I should call my dad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rodgers did this for the first several seasons he started. As far as I know he stopped sometime around the middle 2010s.

That's also around the time that he began becoming significantly older than the rookies and probably had a harder time relating to them.

e: Rodgers also famously spread the ball around to anyone and everyone early on in his career. Later on he started throwing to only his favorites. I don't think that's a coincidence, given the above.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 5, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If the Bears keep Fields: He will suck and Caleb Williams will have a great career somewhere else.

If the Bears move on from Fields: Caleb Williams will suck and Fields will have a great career somewhere else.

Duh

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1743022795573858536?s=20

That explains a few things I guess

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Abugadu posted:

Lol at the "Whelp" by a goon now rocking a Mahomes AV.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

This one is my favourite lol

BlindSite posted:

Please dont draft Mccaffery panthers.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Darth Brooks posted:

Going through old draft threads is the best, so many overreactions, so many confident predictions of boom/bust that went horribly wrong. I think I've been pretty good on about 90% or so of my reactions on GB 1st rounders here over the last 20 years (jesus that felt old to type), though I whiffed horribly on thinking Rashan Gary would bust.

edit: I was also pissed at the Love pick, though not in any way due to Love's skills.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 5, 2024

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Cook was cut by the Jets and is heading to the Ravens apparently. Great move to move on from him last season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

Mangles with the correct prediction once again after the Bears traded up for Trubs. Although 10 years might have been too long, maybe.

R.D. Mangles posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lol the Bears are totally hosed for the next 10 years, holy poo poo what a loving shitshow

It’s kind of amazing how everyone knew it was an idiotic move, yet somehow a GM still did it. The moving up one spot to do it was the worst part. If they drafted Trubs at 3, I think there would’ve been a lot more forgiveness.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Abugadu posted:

Going through old draft threads is the best, so many overreactions, so many confident predictions of boom/bust that went horribly wrong. I think I've been pretty good on about 90% or so of my reactions on GB 1st rounders here over the last 20 years (jesus that felt old to type), though I whiffed horribly on thinking Rashan Gary would bust.

edit: I was also pissed at the Love pick, though not in any way due to Love's skills.

Packers have been in a luxury spot being able to have years to develop their QBs. I think there's a good chance Aaron would have been a bust if he was taken first by the 49ers and thrown into service in his first year like Alex Smith was. Love didn't impress me until this year and looked like poo poo in his start last year against KC. Granted it takes a certain type of guy willing to wait and learn.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The KC game was in 2021, fwiw. Got barely any time to practice with the first team either due to when Rodgers positive test came out.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bears should consider trading down to the 3 spot this year

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1743278681055760433

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

That which is dead can never die!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Crypt Keeper has been eating well, really filled out.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Yes.... the souls of Quarterbacks... gives her strength!

<insert Freddy chest with pics of Glennon, Trubisky, Orton etc...>

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Not looking a day over 82

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Not looking a day over 82

It's amazing what a lot of money will do for a person.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I'd like to congratulate the Chicaghoul Bears on another successful NF HELL season hehehehehehheheheh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1743322853246894181

:sickos:

Just the pure amount of bullshit the Bears can do this offseason is staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Bears are going to trade down repeatedly until they're getting 28 seventh round picks.