Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sirtommygunn posted:

8. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust - This one's been installed on my computer for over a year now, its time to either play it or remove it. I heard it's like a mix of the 2d and 3d zeldas and I like both of those.

drag and drop that bad boy to number one, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Terper posted:

Top 3 Reasons to be Excited for Eiyuden Chronicle

#3 It's Suikoden 2
Suikoden 2 is an incredible game, so if Eiyuden Chronicle is Suikoden 2, that means it'll be incredible too

#2 You can hear me in the ending credits
I recorded some lalala sounds which are used in the ending credits song :)

#1 This shark

is your friend and party member

Hell yes friend can't wait to hear your lalala sounds

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Snooze Cruise posted:

2. Hollywood Handbook

The funniest podcast that is impossible to recommend to people.

A fantastic podcast, perfectly described

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

A fantastic podcast, perfectly described

speak on that

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

For real. There’s a reason I said it deserves to have GOTY veto power.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How's the first Anodyne? I own that one already, played maybe a half hour of it when it came out, got confused, forgot about it, never picked it up again

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Terper posted:

#1 This shark

is your friend and party member

Gah, it's so tempting!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MockingQuantum posted:

How's the first Anodyne? I own that one already, played maybe a half hour of it when it came out, got confused, forgot about it, never picked it up again

It’s a fun, weird, and incredibly janky lite clone of Link’s Awakening, but isn’t nearly as good as the sequel, in ways that are hard to describe without getting into spoiler territory.

The stories are basically 99% disconnected from each other so it’s arguably skippable, but it’s just a few hours long and Anodyne 2 calls back to it in a couple of ways so I think it’s worth playing.

Also: Don’t try to get all the trophies/achievements unless you really like it. Anodyne’s cheevos are super busted lol

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

Top 5 things I listened to while playing video games

5. Revolutions

Mike Duncan's follow up to his History of Rome podcast. I get confused by all the names while playing video games. Bolivar was a fascinating guy tho.

4. Trueanon

Great podcast! One of my favorites. But the subject matter is often much darker than the fun times you are having with pixel people while listening, creating a dissonance. But still if you want to learn about JFK conspiracies while playing Tiny Rogues, good choice! Brace mentions metal gear a lot.

3. The Mountain Goats, Jordan Lake Sessions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Se76S0XH-I
My favorite band ever! I love the Jordan Lake sessions! Everyone who has ever been sad loves the Mountain Goats. In this song in particular John mentions playing video games which is why I picked it for this post.

Exquisite taste but I would have gone with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmsCDVTvOcI

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

Top 10 games I'm going to play/finish in 2024:

Ok, yeah, let's actually do this rather than stuff I'm excited to see release. These are all games I already have and haven't gotten around to playing, in no particular order.

Armored Core 3. I've had this on my list for ages and everyone raving about AC6 has me jonesing to try it now.
Ghost Song. I played the demo and it was great.
Lords of the Fallen. I loved all three Dark Souls games and I've also enjoyed a lot of Legally Distinct From Dark Souls knockoffs, and this looks like one of the latter.
Desperados 3. Shadow Tactics single-handedly redeemed its entire genre for me and I am excited for more Mimimi tactical stealth puzzling.
Freespace 2: Blue Planet. Freespace 2 is my second-favourite space combat sim and Blue Planet is a fan-made sequel with writing by local goon and excellent SFF author General Battuta.
Thief: The Black Parade. TDP and TMA are great, unofficial expansion T2X was also great, and it sounds like TBP continues this trend. As a long time Thief enjoyer, I am looking forward to this.
Atelier Escha + Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. The Atelier games are basically the only JRPGs I play anymore, in large part because they are good about not wasting your loving time with random encounters, but also because showing up to every boss fight with your party ripped to the gills on custom-made combat drugs and hauling a backpack full of pocket nukes is not merely permitted but encouraged.
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. TRPGs are hit and miss with me but when they hit they hit hard, and I really enjoyed what I've played of this so far.
Perfect Dark. Did you know that there's an unofficial PC port of Perfect Dark, with support for mouselook and multiplayer? Well there is! My favourite N64 game is back in a form that no longer requires Nintendo's mutant three-handed controller!
STASIS. Sci-fi horror puzzle game aboard a derelict starship? You have my attention.

There's also a few games in Early Access that will immediately preempt whatever I'm doing if they actually reach completion this year: The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, Mashinky, Dyson Sphere Program, and Satisfactory.

StrixNebulosa posted:

yo Mike Duncan might be one of the best history podcast guys out there, great stuff!

For sure, although I find Revolutions really hard listening because so many of them either start or end with "and then a CIA-backed fascist group loving killed everyone and took over the country".

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Lords of the Fallen has astonishingly good level design. There’s one area I would rank in the top 10 of all souls games, From included. Sadly I think the quality drops a bit in the midpoint. But Lords gave me that non-linear level design I’ve been sorely missing.

Also the world is truly interconnected, where you’re unlocking areas in the late game that bring you to early areas. It’s extremely impressive what they pulled off in terms of level design and they deserve more credit.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I liked how vertical the world was and the vistas that let you over places you've been/will go to. The first few areas are really nicely laid out too. Like you say, it drops off in quality halfway through... but that's true for a few of the From games too.

The game has massive issues that drag it down, but the level and world layouts weren't among them.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Lords of the Fallen has astonishingly good level design. There’s one area I would rank in the top 10 of all souls games, From included. Sadly I think the quality drops a bit in the midpoint. But Lords gave me that non-linear level design I’ve been sorely missing.

ooh which area

3rding the praise for LotF's level design, easily it's strongest point. i had a lot of fun with the combat and other stuff too! it's a good game!!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The way the whole umbral realm is laid out around the frozen giants erupting from where the imprisoned kid is, rising up and climbing up over each other to reach the giant sky eyeball was really cool. A really nice moment of horror when I pieced it together, made entirely through level design.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Also the world is truly interconnected, where you’re unlocking areas in the late game that bring you to early areas. It’s extremely impressive what they pulled off in terms of level design and they deserve more credit.

I'm looking forward to it, but unfortunately I'm having some technical difficulties (or possibly gameplay difficulties; in particular neither sprinting nor dual-wielding seem to be working), and it is impossible to google anything about this because it looks like the same studio released another game which is also called "Lords of the Fallen" just last year.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 5, 2024

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wait are you trying to play Lords of the Fallen (2014) because that game is apparently quite bad and we are all talking about Lords of the Fallen (2023) which is good

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yes I am. :negative:

Some friends had talked about LotF favourably and recommended I get it when I mentioned it was on sale and at no point in the conversation did any of us realize that I was talking about the 2014 version that GOG has and they were talking about the 2023 release.

E: I am now playing Perfect Dark PC instead, game still rules and I'd forgotten how good the soundtrack was

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 5, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JonathonSpectre posted:

Thanks to absolutely everyone who recommended this, I would have missed it for sure and I'd have been worse off for it. My buddy is coming over tomorrow thinking we're just going to watch some movies or something and I can't wait to just start the game and hand him the mouse and see what he does on his trip down to the basement to Slay the Princess.
hell yeah

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Some friends had talked about LotF favourably and recommended I get it when I mentioned it was on sale and at no point in the conversation did any of us realize that I was talking about the 2014 version that GOG has and they were talking about the 2023 release.

E: I am now playing Perfect Dark PC instead, game still rules and I'd forgotten how good the soundtrack was

The 2023 release is divisive. Some love it, some hate it. It has a lot of rough edges both technically and design wise, but it does a few things extremely well. I personally wouldn’t go so far as to call it good, but I thought the strengths made it worth trying. I’d be very selective about who I recommended it to though.

The 2014 game on the other hand is just awful. (Its team went on to make The Surge and its sequel though. Those are really good!)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The top 5 Fortnite skins I want to comeback this year.

5. Paradigm

4. Mothmando

3. Marigold

2. Ghostbusters

1. Master Chief

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ToxicFrog posted:

Hell yeah Perfect Dark rules. One of my favorite soundtracks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perfect Dark is so good, especially now that you can sometimes play it at higher than 15 fps.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hell yeah Perfect Dark rules. One of my favorite soundtracks.

That explosion sound followed by the low industrial bass notes as the green main menu lasers turn red for the Combat Simulator :allears:

So distinct, even 25 years later, etched upon my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G84fXoE_v2Q

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Villa -> Chicago Streets -> Infiltration sequence might just be the finest trio of video game levels ever assembled.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Makes me want to go out and but a working N64 right now. I love that game so much.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just buy a cheap xbone

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Loving all these extra posts :D I am going to have to add a ton of stuff to my upcomings.

Just to let you know that results day WILL be next Saturday, 13th of January at 1:00pm my time, which is GMT. So by the time it is a comfy afternoon for most other people it will be near the end.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

Just buy a cheap xbone

I've thought about it, but the game really was fully designed around the N64 pad.

VideoGames posted:

So by the time it is a comfy afternoon for most other people it will be near the end.

:argh:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Well, Slay the Princess was loving amazing. Do NOT read this spoiler unless you've beat it, because you don't want to know! Trust me!

We entered the Infinite. gently caress the narrator, me and my 3-headed darling are going to explore the DMT Realm. The section near the very end where you talk to the Narrator and every question you ask breaks another piece of him is so good. Every question leading to 2-3 more new ones and the limited chances mean you really, really think about what you're going to ask next. I'm not cruel enough to tell him "Hey your plan is loving ridiculous and I'm not going to do it, now die and know you failed," though. And I keep thinking about that one dialogue option in the Long Quiet I never chose, "Destroy your body..."

Can't say enough about it, buy it, etc. I'm legitimately excited to see my friend play it and see what, if anything, goes differently. Knowing him I think the game might start off with him marching downstairs and stabbing her without a word.

So last night I started Pentiment. I chose a rapscallion who studied law and logic and spent his apprenticeship in Italy.

Uhhh, you should buy this one too if you can. I had no idea what to expect and calling this a pleasant surprise would be like calling Godzilla an alligator. This thing blew me away from the word go.

I shut down the noble's debate at the abbot's table with "It's his table, I have to be respectful" and was pretty bummed that it seemed like the guy disliked me now, I was hoping to get friendly so I could maybe use those connections later and then...

AAAAAAAH! >that sounds like it's coming from the chapter house< Oh gently caress he got murdered.

What a surprise! I didn't see this coming at all. This morning, I begin the investigation. WHODUNIT. I know there's three potential suspects, but it was the abbot who suggested hiding the body and also immediately declared that we've found the killer lock him up despite all the sound reasons that man couldn't be the killer. As an old friend of mine would say that's... suspicious.

The game is also loving beautiful. I absolutely love the way faces change when people say something nice/surprising/etc. Andreas's :wtc: face is great, I laugh every time he does it. The little mini-game where you eat lunch while having a conversation somehow makes it feel like you really are sitting around chatting and chomping. It's just so unbelievably charming and you can feel the love and attention to every little detail. I feel like I've spent half my time in game looking at the illustrations on the pages when you click a term to define it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

No, for you guys it will be. These things take hours - 5 minutes between posting entries and I gotta do at least 50. Late night for me, comfy afternoon for you ;)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yes Pentiment absolutely loving rules and it delights me that this thread has convinced a few more people to get to experience it, it's so drat good. Loved how sometimes the most stressed I got in the game was deciding who to go and have a meal with :sweatdrop:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The ability to eat lunch with other characters was the one thing missing from Disco Elysium.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

No, for you guys it will be. These things take hours - 5 minutes between posting entries and I gotta do at least 50. Late night for me, comfy afternoon for you ;)

VG must work for us, ...slave for us

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jerusalem posted:

Yes Pentiment absolutely loving rules and it delights me that this thread has convinced a few more people to get to experience it, it's so drat good. Loved how sometimes the most stressed I got in the game was deciding who to go and have a meal with :sweatdrop:

+1 bought Pentiment due to this thread

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i bought pentiment on release because i love josh sawyer and i fucken love the reformation but i never got around to it because of the amount of juiced up games coming out non stop. i also have a real problem with talky games where i think i should just read a book instead. but in 2024 i vow to play pentiment and elsinore and (replay and finish) disco.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I bought Pentiment based on last year's thread, and thought it was okay but didn't love it. I'd try it again if it came to Playstation though, since I think my experience suffered from it being basically the only PC game I've played in years.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I swear Pentiment is on my "to play" list. Hopefully it will be in my GOTY list for next year.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought (played on game pass) Pentiment based on last year’s thread and completed it in enough time for it to make my top 5 that year!! Such a brilliant game, god drat.

Also yes Perfect Dark is still so good. I used to waste hours even just in the base area.