Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
I regularly put all my free tickets and occasional 150 gold in Duels, only ever managed to get 8 wins but still preferred it to Arena. Both seemed RNG swingy but I like the dungeon-run addition of treasures and buckets. Not looking good for Blizz, maybe Microsoft will change things for the better...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I really enjoyed duels, too. I didn't play it all the time, but it was great as a change of pace whenever both the standard and wild metas were kinda stale. I absolutely did craft some cards over the years, only so that I could use them in duels, too. It deserved an overhaul and a relaunch on the main screen, not a cancellation, and maybe the devs knew that, but didn't want to sink any more resources into it.

I really don't get the disconnect between this game still making over 20 million bucks a year (data from between january and september 2023 (https://gameworldobserver.com/2023/09/27/blizzard-layoffs-hearthstone-revenue-china)) and features and modes dying left and right. Yes, that number has gone down (significantly) over the years, but with every mode Blizzard discontinues, they drive away more players. Tavern Brawl has also been a graveyard of recycled low effort content for years. Also remember when we had single player modes?

Somewhere in that announcement they wrote that they'll try moving some duels treasures to arena, so maybe they'll try and revive that. My impression was that arena was also a dead and dying game mode with poor balancing, but maybe there are still a lot of f2p players playing that out there, who knows.

For fun and comparison I checked the numbers on Marvel Snap: Apparently they made $70m in the first 6 months, which then rose to $100m total after their first year (in October 23). It's bigger than hearthstone right now, but it also shows a decline already.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
How is Snap doing? I dropped off maybe 6 months ago (I think the Conquest mode was the next big upcoming feature but hadn't released yet). I had been playing since launch and was at the front of the curve as far as card acquisition goes but the pace was still too slow for me and it was a bummer getting like maybe one S4 card a month without shelling out big bucks.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I played a bit of it over the last few months, but the design of the game really limits the possible deck archetypes, so it becomes very Rock Paper Scissors. They are also doing a slow drip of new cards every week, but they have to be acquired in this awful lottery box system. There’s 4 cards available per week: 1 new card, two older S4/5 cards, and a random option. If you have the S4/5 card, you instead would get a new variant. If you get the random option and it’s a card you already have, you get 1000 dust.

So if you really want that new card, you either have to get lucky or burn a bunch of keys potentially on variants or tokens before getting it. It sucks! You don’t even know if the card is worth getting until perhaps a month down the line if the meta settles into it being a good card or not, and then you can’t just go get it another way.

Anyway, I’ve had two long stints with the game, once when it came out, and the last 3 months, but I think I’m definitely done. I got my Infinite ranking twice so I’ve beat the game imo. Making card collection random and anxiety driven like that is somehow worse than just buying a box of boosters every 4 months, especially when it just feels like tweaking the same archetypes that existed a year ago.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 5, 2024

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

goferchan posted:

How is Snap doing? I dropped off maybe 6 months ago (I think the Conquest mode was the next big upcoming feature but hadn't released yet). I had been playing since launch and was at the front of the curve as far as card acquisition goes but the pace was still too slow for me and it was a bummer getting like maybe one S4 card a month without shelling out big bucks.

I was about the same, I just completed the series 3 when Conquest mode was introduced, but stopped playing shortly after that because Conquest felt just like a different flavor of grind I didn't need in a toilet game. RegisKillbin still does regular content updates from what I can see, and they seem to have hit their stride with 4 new cards and a new location or so a month, but I unfollowed all other snap tubers. I found a roadmap that has some neat sounding features like clans in the future, but other than that they lean heavily into the collectible card customization angle: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/marvel-snap-reveals-card-customization-in-2024-roadmap/

No ideas about fun, meta, health and player numbers.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Goon Vs Goon Wild Reno fun match. This game is a lot of fun sometimes once you abandon antiquated notions regarding the importance of winning or losing.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/mwXe5c9UztxzxAcLWF2J9h

Strawberry Panda/CMBrick playing:

### Rainbow Reno
# Class: Death Knight
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (1) Heart Strike
# 1x (2) Down with the Ship
# 1x (2) Obliterate
# 1x (2) Plague Strike
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Acolyte of Death
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 1x (3) Corpse Farm
# 1x (3) Crop Rotation
# 1x (3) Eulogizer
# 1x (3) Howling Blast
# 1x (3) Photographer Fizzle
# 1x (3) Sickly Grimewalker
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Blightfang
# 1x (4) Death Strike
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (3) Crop Rotation
# 1x (4) Ignis, the Eternal Flame
# 1x (5) Corpse Bride
# 1x (4) Helya
# 1x (4) Maw and Paw
# 1x (5) Corpse Bride
# 1x (5) Famished Fool
# 1x (5) Queen Azshara
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (7) Frost Queen Sindragosa
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (8) Reno, Lone Ranger
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 1x (10) Climactic Necrotic Explosion
# 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
#
AAEBAfHhBB7DFoUX/KMD27kEltQE7eME8OME9OME/OMEieYEvPAE2fEEh/YEtPcEqIEFzaUFoaoF/cQFrNEFgvgFr/kF/PkFk/sF7f8Fi5IGl5UGkZcG/5cGgJgGr6gGAAABA7T3BP3EBdiBBv3EBZGXBv3EBQAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Me with:

### Reno Priest
# Class: Priest
#
# 1x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (1) Chameleos
# 1x (1) Shadowcloth Needle
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Insight
# 1x (2) Seance
# 1x (2) Serena Bloodfeather
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
# 1x (2) Spirit Lash
# 1x (2) Thoughtsteal
# 1x (2) Twilight Torrent
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Cathedral of Atonement
# 1x (3) Handmaiden
# 1x (3) Identity Theft
# 1x (3) Madame Lazul
# 1x (3) Mindrender Illucia
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) The Harvester of Envy
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (5) Mass Hysteria
# 1x (4) Hysteria
# 1x (4) Kazakus
# 1x (4) Najak Hexxen
# 1x (5) Darkbishop Benedictus
# 1x (5) Mass Hysteria
# 1x (5) Raza the Chained
# 1x (6) Ra-den
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Aman'Thul
# 1x (7) Blackwater Behemoth
# 1x (7) Confessor Paletress
# 1x (7) Murozond, Thief of Time
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (8) Elise, Badlands Savior
# 1x (8) Shadowreaper Anduin
#
AAEBAZ/HAige1wr8E8MWhReDuwLYuwLwzwKQ0wLy7AKXhwPmiAPrmwP8owPXzgP70QP73wP44wOf6wOm7wP08QOLowTlsASktgSotgSW1AS42QS43ATF5ASX7wSGgwX9xAXP9gWv/wWLlQblnAbRngbJoQa+ogavqAYAAAEDl4cD/cQF184D/cQF0Z4G/cQFAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Check out my misplay on turn 10 lol. Should have grabbed Confessor. meant to. Didn't notice til it was too late

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Reflecting on the duels announcement more, this totally fills my dust coffers because there are a LOT of one-off cards I kept from prior sets that I would have melted down long ago.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Been having fun on the D5-Legend climb with Relic DH. Fun send off for a deck that's rotating next expansion.

### Relick
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 1x (1) Illidari Studies
# 2x (1) Relic of Extinction
# 2x (1) Unleash Fel
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 1x (2) Pocket Sand
# 2x (2) Relic Vault
# 1x (3) Enchanter
# 2x (3) Relic of Phantasms
# 1x (3) Sigil of Time
# 2x (3) Silvermoon Arcanist
# 2x (4) Fan the Hammer
# 1x (4) Felerin, the Forgotten
# 1x (4) Going Down Swinging
# 1x (4) Prosecutor Mel'tranix
# 1x (5) Jotun, the Eternal
# 2x (6) Relic of Dimensions
# 1x (7) Argus, the Emerald Star
# 1x (8) Artificer Xy'mox
# 1x (9) Yogg-Saron, Unleashed
#
AAECAdKLBRCXoATlsASq3QTu7QSkkgX1nAXipAX3wwWs0QXh+AXG+QWogAaHkAaplQacmgavqAYHr94EsN4EquIEheUEi5IFnaQFipAGAAA=
#

The hybrid Reno works better than I thought it would, both between Finley to shuffle it back in if you draw it too early but also with the amount of draw in the deck you activate it fairly regularly with ~10 cards left in the deck or so. It's also completely busted if you discount Reno from dimensions.

What's most fun/different from previous relic decks is that you can pump out a crazy amount of damage from off the board with Fan the Hammer. With all the mana discounting from dimensions and the titan, it's super easy to set up a turn where you play something like Arcanist x 2 + Unleash Fel x2 + Fan the Hammer to full clear their side of the board, heal to full, and deal 20 damage to the opponents face. You can even do this two or three times if you get a good Jotunn + Snapshot

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Been having fun on the D5-Legend climb with Relic DH. Fun send off for a deck that's rotating next expansion.

### Relick
# Class: Demon Hunter
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 1x (1) Illidari Studies
# 2x (1) Relic of Extinction
# 2x (1) Unleash Fel
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 1x (2) Pocket Sand
# 2x (2) Relic Vault
# 1x (3) Enchanter
# 2x (3) Relic of Phantasms
# 1x (3) Sigil of Time
# 2x (3) Silvermoon Arcanist
# 2x (4) Fan the Hammer
# 1x (4) Felerin, the Forgotten
# 1x (4) Going Down Swinging
# 1x (4) Prosecutor Mel'tranix
# 1x (5) Jotun, the Eternal
# 2x (6) Relic of Dimensions
# 1x (7) Argus, the Emerald Star
# 1x (8) Artificer Xy'mox
# 1x (9) Yogg-Saron, Unleashed
#
AAECAdKLBRCXoATlsASq3QTu7QSkkgX1nAXipAX3wwWs0QXh+AXG+QWogAaHkAaplQacmgavqAYHr94EsN4EquIEheUEi5IFnaQFipAGAAA=
#

The hybrid Reno works better than I thought it would, both between Finley to shuffle it back in if you draw it too early but also with the amount of draw in the deck you activate it fairly regularly with ~10 cards left in the deck or so. It's also completely busted if you discount Reno from dimensions.

What's most fun/different from previous relic decks is that you can pump out a crazy amount of damage from off the board with Fan the Hammer. With all the mana discounting from dimensions and the titan, it's super easy to set up a turn where you play something like Arcanist x 2 + Unleash Fel x2 + Fan the Hammer to full clear their side of the board, heal to full, and deal 20 damage to the opponents face. You can even do this two or three times if you get a good Jotunn + Snapshot

Why include Going Down Swinging?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

RatHat posted:

It’s fantastic with Jotun, it’s another board clear, and if you’re trying for Reno as a backup plan you want to minimize your number of duplicates, so even if it’s a weaker card it’s still probably a better pick than the second Illidari Studies or Enchanter.

I have a knee-jerk reaction against Reno decks that aren’t strictly singleton, but this is about as close as you want to do it. The deck is playing seven duplicates — the Relic package, the Arcanist-Unleash combo, and Fan the Hammer, and none of those are worth shaving in order to make Reno more consistent.

This deck looks kind of sweet, actually. I like Relic DH a lot but haven’t found a build I’ve liked since Titans, so I’ll have to give this a try.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's by far your strongest early card against treant Druid and now that it's buffed it's just a good board clear

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
This deck has been doing some surprisingly consistent work climbing at the moment. (Disclaimer - 11 star wild means I've not seen Even Shaman for ages so I don't know how it does against that)

### pirate bane
# Class: Rogue
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Buccaneer
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Doomerang
# 2x (1) Gear Shift
# 1x (1) Kingsbane
# 2x (1) Leeching Poison
# 2x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Silverleaf Poison
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (2) Blade Flurry
# 2x (2) Cavern Shinyfinder
# 2x (2) Harmonic Hip Hop
# 2x (2) Instrument Tech
# 2x (3) Mic Drop
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Raiding Party
# 2x (4) Dread Corsair
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
#
AAEBAaIHBJG8ArvvApfvBKzRBRLUBagIqc0Csc4C5dEC1YwDqssD99QDqesDrOsDkp8E958E/dME07IF2sMFuMUFv/cF1p4GAAA=
#

You've got so much draw that the 40 cards aren't really an issue for consistency, and that early pirate package can really help you get a footing against aggro until your Kingsbane is suitably fat.

Fizzle is good just being played out just to get another refill sometimes, though I'm not 100% sure if I might not swap it for ETC with weapon tech for Reno Shaman and have fizzle in there too.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

motherfucker got the dream topdeck but i topdecked reno in return

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Token Druid has entirely taken over now; Basically playing the game as 'I'm consistent at highroll enough that I'll blow the game out 6/10 times, and that'll climb'. I don't think there's a single decision to be made beyond 'Is the card in my hand?' and 'Can I afford it?'

Echoing an earlier poster - I like the variety of decks we had this year, but the power envelope push has really just encouraged very linear strategies. It doesn't matter what kind of deck you're on, you're all in on whatever it is. There's extremely little (like 1, maybe 2 cards, at most) variation.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 10, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I don't want to complain about Treant druid because it hasn't been good in quite a while...

...however the current version where they can generate a full board of 5/5s or 6/6s with a bunch of 1 or zero mana cards is the most frustrating the deck has been to play against possibly ever

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Looks like the miniset is going to be announced tomorrow. If history is any guide, we’ll probably get reveals over the weekend and then patch/release Tuesday.

Looks like the covergirl is Therazane, joining Ragnaros, Al’Akir, and Neptulon after all this time…

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bravesword posted:

Looks like the miniset is going to be announced tomorrow. If history is any guide, we’ll probably get reveals over the weekend and then patch/release Tuesday.

Looks like the covergirl is Therazane, joining Ragnaros, Al’Akir, and Neptulon after all this time…

Yup

https://x.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1745158570532802965?s=20

Therazane and Brann for the neutral legendaries. And we get dual-class cards again

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I can’t help but think that dual-class cards are just a decent idea for minisets as a rule. Each class gets a few more cards to play with without increasing the overall number of cards being released. Maybe every year they could switch up the pairings they focus on.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hoping the hunter/dk class combo means some more deathrattle support for hunters

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
hope new dual-class cards mean they’ll update Keywarden Ivory since I’m pretty sure they didn’t last time

also another Rogue/Priest card almost certainly means thievery :gritin:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mechanics question: If your opponent has just played Reno Lone Ranger and you play a minion with a big battlecry that summons stuff (Tess, Shudder, etc.) what happens?

Because I was playing some mage memes in wild and dropped a juiced Rommath in response and it just fizzled. It literally just spent my mana, nothing happended on the play, and I could only pass my turn. I'm pretty sure that there was no Objection or something like that but it was kinda late at night so I could have overlooked some other effect. However, it was just an instant fizzle after the play which is why it was such a weird experience that stuck with me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You’re limited to 1 space on the board, so yes those summons are wasted. Same as if you had played it with 6 other minions already on the board

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Does a battlecry like that fizzle if it can't perform all actions?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

You’re limited to 1 space on the board, so yes those summons are wasted. Same as if you had played it with 6 other minions already on the board
Sure but in my example the Rommath didn't even hit the board. Playing him just spent my mana and then nothing happened. That's why I figured it may be a weird interaction with the limited board slot.

Scholtz posted:

Does a battlecry like that fizzle if it can't perform all actions?
Yeah that was my suspicion but hell if I know :v:

E: As said, maybe it was something else that I missed due to it being late, I just wanted to ask

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 11, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, no it should’ve hit the board. Was Blademaster Okani on the board maybe?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24046222/unearth-powerful-new-synergies-with-the-delve-into-deepholm-mini-set

:shepicide:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Odyn's Battlecry doesn't stack, right?
R-RIGHT?!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
welp

that's good enough to turn Odin Warrior into a Highlander deck

e: ah I missed that they patched it, it's still really strong though

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 11, 2024

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Odyn's Battlecry doesn't stack, right?
R-RIGHT?!

it used to, but they patched it recently so it does not stack anymore

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
My instinct is that Brann is nuts, but maybe the tempo loss/costs of going Highlander are more severe than I’m thinking. Warrior doesn’t exactly have tons of meaningful battlecries right now, since Odyn no longer stacks — it’s basically Astalor for two months and some miscellaneous value plays like Stoneskin Armorer and Steam Guardian. (There’s also the Ox, but going Highlander makes it more difficult to excavate consistently and there’s not a lot of cards that can deal with two 8-drops but not four.)

Therazane is a weirdly boring card for how long they’ve held off on making her. Despite being technically neutral she’s really a Mage/Shaman dual class card, and she’s just another boring pile of stats card. I do think the reason Elemental decks haven’t caught on is that they’re basically just “make a board and ride it,” and those aren’t very attractive to play unless they’re power outliers.

I have no idea why those two Enrage Warrior cards are dual class. Do they have any applications in DH at all? The spell is decent setup for Going Down Swinging, I guess.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

excited for another round of doubled patchwerk, mograine and denathrius

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Oh, no it should’ve hit the board. Was Blademaster Okani on the board maybe?
I was against Reno Shaman so it's possible and I could have missed the animation due to the visual effect from Reno :v:

Thx for all the replies

Hell yeah baby

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

peer posted:

excited for another round of doubled patchwerk, mograine and denathrius

It's a warrior card only.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Chernabog posted:

It's a warrior card only.

gently caress i'm dumb/blind. maybe still denathrius though

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

no warrior deck plays it now and it rotates in a tick anyway

peer
Jan 17, 2004

no warrior deck plays it right now but there's also no current highlander warrior as far as i've seen. if highlander warrior is good enough to survive i don't think it'll be all-in on odyn

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

*my brain is visibly pulsating within my skull* duplicating photographer fizzle's battlecry

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

also, the reason fizzle is on my mind is this: having multiple copies of climactic necrotic explosion doesn't make it not terrible, but it's funny

### dryscale cookin'?!
# Class: Death Knight
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Body Bagger
# 2x (2) Dryscale Deputy
# 2x (2) Gold Panner
# 1x (2) Mosh Pit
# 2x (2) Northern Navigation
# 2x (3) Eulogizer
# 2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 1x (4) Ignis, the Eternal Flame
# 2x (4) Malignant Horror
# 1x (4) Maw and Paw
# 1x (4) School Teacher
# 2x (5) Boneshredder
# 2x (5) Corpse Bride
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 2x (9) Stitched Giant
# 1x (10) Climactic Necrotic Explosion
# 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
#
AAECAdvJBgrlsASWtwTipAWYxAWs0QX8+QXt/wXYgQaLkgb/lwYKsvcEtPcEmIEFmYEFopkF5coFr/kF6v8F65gGzpwGAAA=
#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Does that new 3-cost treasure have a limited Elemental pool? Because otherwise that seems like absolutely absurd in terms of what you could get out of it on like, turn 4.