Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

didn't know the bills could miss the pee offs. don't listen to what i said. i don't know nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
After a year of incredible parity and a huge cluster of teams that seemed dead early on recovering (Buffalo, Denver, Chicago, etc), I'll make a wildly improbable long-shot prediction of 0 outright 'firings' of coaches.

Belicheck's departure, should it occur, will be announced as a mutual parting of ways

Rivera was a good soldier during the teardown season and he seems to still be popular with his players, so let's say the org gives him a plum gig in as a Assistant VP of Morale, or something, for additional good pub in the first full non-Snyder off-season

Eberflus hangs on by upsetting the Packers and then jettisoning Getsy

The NFC South coaches sweet-talk their way into one last prove-it year, citing *exaggerated arm gesticulations at stuff*

I am wholly expecting to be proven wrong thrice over before 9am next Monday

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Arthur Smith is going to lose to the Saints and if he keeps his job I have to assume it’s some kind of billionaire old boys club thing. Because his whole tenure in Atlanta has been a manifestation of the Billy Madison “Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul” scene.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

kalensc posted:

The NFC South coaches sweet-talk their way into one last prove-it year, citing *exaggerated arm gesticulations at stuff*

I feel like this post traveled from both a year ago and a year from now to reinforce some bedrock constant of reality

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kalensc posted:

After a year of incredible parity and a huge cluster of teams that seemed dead early on recovering (Buffalo, Denver, Chicago, etc), I'll make a wildly improbable long-shot prediction of 0 outright 'firings' of coaches.

Belicheck's departure, should it occur, will be announced as a mutual parting of ways

Rivera was a good soldier during the teardown season and he seems to still be popular with his players, so let's say the org gives him a plum gig in as a Assistant VP of Morale, or something, for additional good pub in the first full non-Snyder off-season

Eberflus hangs on by upsetting the Packers and then jettisoning Getsy

I am wholly expecting to be proven wrong thrice over before 9am next Monday

Black monday always brings the usual 4 or 5 guys or so where everyone goes "as expected" one "wtf?" and one team that keeps a dead man walking. Chicago are my pick for keeping a dead man walking. My wtf pick is Vrabel.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Arthur Smith's tenure in Atlanta has greatly disappointed me. his offenses were very good in Tennessee running maybe the most faithful version of that original Shanahan/Kubiak wide-zone play action offense left in the league, but Atlanta has been terrible and he probably should get fired because the offense sucks and the vibes seem bad

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

AndrewP posted:

Arthur Smith's tenure in Atlanta has greatly disappointed me. his offenses were very good in Tennessee running maybe the most faithful version of that original Shanahan/Kubiak wide-zone play action offense left in the league, but Atlanta has been terrible and he probably should get fired because the offense sucks and the vibes seem bad

Part of me wonders if he's suffering from the whole "good is the enemy of great" because Allegier has been very effective and I'm a big fan of his as a player but he's obviously not the weapon that Bijan is. Ridder has obviously been an anchor, but I can't help but feel if you put even a replacement level quarterback in there and had just about anyone else calling plays London, Robinson and Pitts would be dramatically more effective. Falcons are such a weird team to watch because they for sure have some pieces but just haven't played or deployed them well at all.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I agree. It's not like he's completely incapable of utilizing the talent he has - AJ Brown became a star under Arthur Smith's offense.

The QB situation has been terrible - I think his best QB was a washed Matt Ryan? Which was also Kyle Pitts' only great season so far.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah if the falcons get a decent qb I think they would immediately skyrocket in productivity. Ridder is really bad.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah if the falcons get a decent qb I think they would immediately skyrocket in productivity. Ridder is really bad.

Sounds like they need to get Ridder him :dadjoke:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Atlanta with like Kirk Cousins is probably a division winner. Fields I don't think is a fit but if ever a team needed a splash at that position...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BlindSite posted:

Atlanta with like Kirk Cousins is probably a division winner. Fields I don't think is a fit but if ever a team needed a splash at that position...

Russ to the Falcons seems like a thing that is inevitable

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I still don't know whether or not Glenn is a good coordinator, but that rating tracks with the vibe that I get from the Lions D. They may not be the best but they play their asses off for him, and maybe that's enough.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

brian callahan's image on this is a different guy. it's a picture of dan pitcher. pitcher picture. i don't care either but i like to say hello to you all

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I also see this as very likely.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'm not convinced Vrabel would be a super great hire unless your team already has a good established QB, his inability to put an offense together after Arthur Smith left is kind of concerning

Like, there are some stories about how the Krafts like him and would be interested but how is he going to be any different than just giving Bill another shot with a rookie QB

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
"If you think about it, the collapse of the Patriots football dynasty under Belichick is reminiscent of the fall of Napoleon, another brilliant but disagreeable strategist who failed to adapt to the changes his own success instigated, and who never developed a robust staff system."

Everyone: ::frogout:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I hadn't given it any thought but this makes a lot of sense.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Local radio guy. No idea if he has legit sourcing on this or is just connecting dots/stirring poo poo.

https://x.com/95keeppounding/status/1743261729411256486?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

new Dan Snyder just dropped

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Local radio guy. No idea if he has legit sourcing on this or is just connecting dots/stirring poo poo.

https://x.com/95keeppounding/status/1743261729411256486?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Could be a bit of poo poo stirring but it does fit with everything we have seen from Tepper.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I mean it'd be the most obvious mismatch between coach and owner since...well, the last time Jim was in the NFL. There's gotta be a word for a lie built upon truth but I'm blanking on it.

Also I have no idea why he'd be more interested in the Panthers roster than the Chargers or Raiders, beyond the hubris of "I can fix them".

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
So long as the league has a Dan Snyder, Ron Rivera will have a job.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean, was this not the most obvious outcome of any Harbaugh2Carolina chatter? The guy is notoriously difficult to work with and has had power struggles with authority everywhere he's been. Harbaugh and Tepper is oil and water and would never, ever work.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

C-Euro posted:

I mean it'd be the most obvious mismatch between coach and owner since...well, the last time Jim was in the NFL. There's gotta be a word for a lie built upon truth but I'm blanking on it.

Also I have no idea why he'd be more interested in the Panthers roster than the Chargers or Raiders, beyond the hubris of "I can fix them".

Yeah, unless he saw something in Bryce that no one else did this year, he'd be looking at a roster with no QB, no offensive skill players worth a drat, no first round pick to fix either of these problems and a lovely owner with an itchy trigger finger. There's no way he's actually interested.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oil just sits calmly on top of the water as its boss. holding it down perfectly. it looks beautiful. i didn't know you meant very hot oil. don't point fingers. there's no major problem here

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

Man whose team who will at best finish at 32-67 and has become one of the worst teams in the four major American sports leagues since he took over still thinks he shouldn't have to cede any power to improve it.

It's honestly very believable.

C-Euro posted:

I mean, it's the same reason that Tepper is probably unwilling to give Harbaugh what he would want in this situation: ego. Sure Chargers/Raiders are better landing spots, but if you fix the Tepper Panthers you'd be considered one of the greats

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

a neat cape posted:

He's gonna be a Steeler.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I mean, it's the same reason that Tepper is probably unwilling to give Harbaugh what he would want in this situation: ego. Sure Chargers/Raiders are better landing spots, but if you fix the Tepper Panthers you'd be considered one of the greats

I just think Harbaugh's general deal works best in college, where he's free to rail against the NCAA that everyone hates, rather than in the pros, where egomaniacal, meddling owners are a dime a dozen and will butt heads with him constantly. He's clearly a fantastic coach, so it's got nothing to do with his football acumen, but he needs a hands-off/absentee/humble (lmao) owner to avoid drama, and as lovely as Tepper demonstrably is, he's far from alone in the category of owners Harbaugh would drive insane. All this to say: I've never once considered Harbaugh a viable candidate for this job, given the egos involved. Even if it'd be a great fit on the field, I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse pairing from a personal standpoint.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll have my final ranking posted later today.

I do expect a somewhat quiet Black Monday, if only because most of the hottest-seat coaches have already been fired. 4-5 job openings (with room for a possible "surprise" or two) feels like the safe bet right now.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RumbleFish posted:

All this to say: I've never once considered Harbaugh a viable candidate for this job, given the egos involved. Even if it'd be a great fit on the field, I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse pairing from a personal standpoint.

Agreed. If he could get the concessions from Tepper I think he'd need it might work, but I think that's almost impossible to guarantee.

I really do think LA would be his best choice if what we've heard about Spanos is accurate

Benne posted:

I'll have my final ranking posted later today.

I do expect a somewhat quiet Black Monday, if only because most of the hottest-seat coaches have already been fired. 4-5 job openings (with room for a possible "surprise" or two) feels like the safe bet right now.

:dance:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

a neat cape posted:

Russ as a bridge in Atlanta after they draft penix makes the most sense and sickens me

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

EmbryoSteve posted:

Russ as a bridge in Atlanta after they draft penix makes the most sense and sickens me
Isnt Penix almost as old as Russ?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt Penix almost as old as Russ?

All his ligaments are much younger tho

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

All his ligaments are much younger tho

Well, not all of them really. Man's ACLs have seen some stuff. Also his non-throwing shoulder.

He's put some wear on that body.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nodoze posted:

I'm not convinced Vrabel would be a super great hire unless your team already has a good established QB, his inability to put an offense together after Arthur Smith left is kind of concerning

Like, there are some stories about how the Krafts like him and would be interested but how is he going to be any different than just giving Bill another shot with a rookie QB

Titans have had the 32nd ranked O line by PFF for the last 2 years

How much of that is up to Vrabel Vs the GM is up for debate but it's not too much of a surprise the offence has been poopy

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Cavauro posted:

oil just sits calmly on top of the water as its boss. holding it down perfectly. it looks beautiful. i didn't know you meant very hot oil. don't point fingers. there's no major problem here

Your posts are like the morning dew shining under the rising sun, Cavauro.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sean10mm posted:

"If you think about it, the collapse of the Patriots football dynasty under Belichick is reminiscent of the fall of Napoleon, another brilliant but disagreeable strategist who failed to adapt to the changes his own success instigated, and who never developed a robust staff system."

Everyone: ::frogout:

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1743302889177555353

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I feel like Vrabel is a younger Belicheck, for all the good and bad that means. The problem is I don't trust this guy with an offense, so I'm fine if he wants to go to New England.

MikeCrotch posted:

Titans have had the 32nd ranked O line by PFF for the last 2 years

How much of that is up to Vrabel Vs the GM is up for debate but it's not too much of a surprise the offence has been poopy

A mix of both. Failing to rebuild the OL and trading away AJ Brown killed our offense, but Vrabel's assistant choices have been pretty underwhelming too. Arthur Smith was good for us, but who knows how much of that was just having that trio of Tannehill/Henry/Brown balling out and opening things up for the likes of Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith to actually do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Just like napoleon was too ill to take the flanks at waterloo...