Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I estimate elevation marks for the first shot, but if I'm way off I'll use manual zeroing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Same, I also changed the control settings so that manual zeroing is bound to the mouse wheel. It's really quite useful in pre-laser designator stuff.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Manual zeroing is nice since you can make a mental note of some guy who’s been peeking around a corner so whenever they show you can pop them spot on. Also, the zeroing will take the trajectory into account if your vehicle is sitting at an acute angle.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Also, the zeroing will take the trajectory into account if your vehicle is sitting at an acute angle.

Nice this is exactly what I was worried about.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I use elevation marks and can generally eyeball it up to 800m but after that will usually find a piece of terrain to pre sight for when someone pops out.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I can never get the hang of rocket drop to eyeball it correctly while doing CAS, I always end up hitting the general vicinity, even with a maxed out pilot.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It varies by rocket and position on the wing. It is silly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tiny Tims especially can be deceptively frustrating for a new player that hears about them as a super-rocket; they take a second after launch to really leave their hardpoint so if you're thinking "I shouldn't get caught in the explosion so I'll pull away immediately" you'll make your rocket fly off in the wrong direction and kill gently caress-all. You've got to account for that delay, launch slightly earlier than you would otherwise, and then pull away once the rocket is safely off your craft.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I can barely hit things with a 20mm cannon flying right at them, rockets seem like a non starter to me.

I unlocked the battle pass Breda and it’s exactly what you expect - by far the best gun of any vehicle I’ve played at BR 4.0 but you are constantly getting your crew machine gunned. Good mobility though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Warbadger posted:

Personally I think they just need to have better oversight on the national advisors/leads. Some nations (USSR/Germany/Sweden for example) usually get very favorable interpretation of vehicles, unique mechanics, and quick fixes when they perform badly.

Others do not. They get features and capabilities left out, generally unfavorable interpretations of capabilities, and when poo poo is doing badly it takes forever to see changes to fix it. China literally had their advisor intentionally sabotaging their modern lineup for years until a scandal forced him out ~2 years ago. I suspect the US lineups are getting something of the same treatment in that their intended proponent(s) aren't.

Edit: And I was wrong, after a week of playing my US lineup stats show a 34% win ratio. Meanwhile I'm batting over 65% with Russian, Chinese, and German lineups. Out of those I think German is the strongest overall - though I need to grind out the PSO and 2A7V still. By choosing to play my US lineup I will lose twice as often - and I can't even clown on planes while doing it like I can with the Tor and Pantsir because they *still* haven't loving added radar lead calculation to other nation's radar guided SAMs.

I would like to know more about China scandal.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I found the guy who never bothers to angle his Tiger.

Reading this gave me an aneurysm and now you can have one too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I unlocked the battle pass Breda and it’s exactly what you expect - by far the best gun of any vehicle I’ve played at BR 4.0 but you are constantly getting your crew machine gunned. Good mobility though.

The low-key best thing about the Breda 90/53 isn’t even the gun. It’s the rangefinder. Being able to get accurate ranges out to arbitrary distances in a second or two is pretty amazing, and I think it’s the lowest BR rangefinder in the game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
YaG-10 (29-K) has one at 3.3

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Farecoal posted:

YaG-10 (29-K) has one at 3.3

Welp, I know what BR I’m going clubbing in later.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is it 2.7? It should be 2.7 in the Swedish ANTI.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

That's a lot less fun when you're constantly uptiered into guys who have ir sights so they will usually spot you before you spot them, pen you frontally without even aiming, and then you're just dead because you can't aim when your engine is out

Like in a same tier or downtier they're a lot of fun and you can really rack up kills with them but the poo poo you have to deal with at 9.0-9.7 just neuters them, and the number of uptiers you get there is... lots.

I'd probably go back and play them more in some future world in which they decompress BR and un-gently caress the matchmaking around that range.

My first Strv 103 match of the day.

I J'd out to get my nuke, it was too late though, and the game ended. I don't get uptiered much at 8.0, and I think a lot of the recent BR changes have to do with this.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Got 6 kills in my first match with the Bkan 1C. Might be a fluke but it feels a bit silly (I like it)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lately it seems German players aren't the only ones with no situational awareness, luckily.

https://i.imgur.com/yi8T7Ha.mp4

I'm starting to think my M4A2 76W is cursed. I do really well in the M4A1 76W (which is a god tier tank with no lineup to go with it) despite being fully uptiered pretty much all the time, and I do really well in the M4A3E8 76W which typically fights at its BR level or slightly above.

The M4A2 76W on the other hand despite not being really much different from either of the other tanks I am guaranteed to get blown to bits in the first few minutes without ever spotting what killed me.

I'm continuing to spade the F4U-4B Corsair and I'm thoroughly enjoying the hell out of this plane; it's definitely up there among my favourite planes with the Bf-109 K4 and Spitfire LF Mk IX. I'm so used to having a single motorcannon or a couple of Hispanos so having 4 cannons and an ammo pool of 984 rounds that I can just unleash until whatever I'm shooting at dies is extremely cathartic.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

If you don’t know - you can click on a target in bino mode and it will line up the gun for you (you will still have to adjust for range after but much faster still).

I didn't know this, just tried it in a test drive. Oh my God this is so good. Thank you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Not having TWS at top tier is great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm having a blast with low tier France atm. No bullshit, no missiles, no lasers, no jets, I just trundle up in my fat B1, watch the drat fool who gets in my way plink at me, and then give them the mercy of a quick death from like a metre away.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The M4A2 76W on the other hand despite not being really much different from either of the other tanks I am guaranteed to get blown to bits in the first few minutes without ever spotting what killed me.

I have this exact same issue whenever I try to get research done on a new tank. Like some kinda of "no-fun-allowed" curse.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Action-Bastard posted:

I have this exact same issue whenever I try to get research done on a new tank. Like some kinda of "no-fun-allowed" curse.

See when it comes to new tanks I have the opposite problem. Like the first couple of games with a new vehicle I'll do amazingly well and think "wow that was fun, this tank is really good, im going to spade it". Then after those first couple of games the "honeymoon period" comes to an end and afterward I'll promptly have my arse handed to me on a platter time after time after time.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
If recall, the A2 diesel Sherman has a competitive top speed with the A1 and A3 versions but sluggish acceleration. Particularly from a dead stop. It makes playing the positioning games the Sherman excels at harder to pull off.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Jumped back into this after years away through Steam and it set me up with a new account, which apparently I can't link after the fact but decided starting over would be fun anyway.

I forgot they start you out against bots and I was thinking my 14-1 round was hot poo poo. Embarassing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So I've been considering getting back into this game for a while (last time I really played was back in like, early 2014) to do high-tier jet stuff but didn't want to grind all the way up (I had just unlocked rank IV before I had stopped back then), but decided to jump in with this winter event reward for planes being a Mirage 2000. Ended up deciding to be That Player and buy my way into top tier with the F-4S when it went on sale and it has been a hell of a lot of fun:
https://i.imgur.com/WCvg09M.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/tdHrMga.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/QiXNsIu.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/vlRArtv.mp4
(sorry for the gif spam (not actually sorry I love this dumb brick))

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Jumped back into this after years away through Steam and it set me up with a new account, which apparently I can't link after the fact but decided starting over would be fun anyway.

I forgot they start you out against bots and I was thinking my 14-1 round was hot poo poo. Embarassing.

You can log out from your player profile in game and log back in on your real account.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

YF-23 posted:

You can log out from your player profile in game and log back in on your real account.

Good to know, thank you.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

YF-23 posted:

Where is this? I can't find an option to log out anywhere on the Steam version.

e: These are the only options on the player card:

I can't use bind email to connect to my main account either and War Thunder help for connecting your Steam account to an existing Gaijin account says it can't be done after you've actually logged in with the Steam version.

Worst case scenario I can just download the client from their site and run it that way I guess.

e2: Found I can run the launcher from the game's Steam install dir and it'll take me to the login screen when I start the game that way. Steam doesn't see I'm playing the game that way but it's probably a good thing it's not tracking my time in this game.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 9, 2024

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there some sort of stratagem for defeating a Scharnhorst?

Or there're just literally invincible and naval is a forgotten mode

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

appropriatemetaphor posted:

This is your answer. Boats is bad, and War Thunder should have stuck with their initial plan to do only coastal. I'm sick of trying to have fun in speedy PT boats only to be wrecked by some destroyer from 5km away. I only play boats when the Battle Pass requires it, and I hate every moment of it. My queue times in arcade boats has been 5+ minutes so that's definitely a bad sign.

By the way, I got this done yesterday. I'm freeeeee!

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I doubt there was ever a chance of coastal-only naval, larger ships and different classes are too iconic. Sometimes I dream about a fun, popular naval mode with sane BRs and research rates, but it morphs into a nightmare of grinding out hundreds of thousands of RP for an extra Bofors while ships of the next class look on, laughing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Is there some sort of stratagem for defeating a Scharnhorst?

Long Lance it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I’m dumb America with poo poo torps the bureau of ordinance gave me :(

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Where is this? I can't find an option to log out anywhere on the Steam version.

e: These are the only options on the player card:

I can't use bind email to connect to my main account either and War Thunder help for connecting your Steam account to an existing Gaijin account says it can't be done after you've actually logged in with the Steam version.

Worst case scenario I can just download the client from their site and run it that way I guess.

e2: Found I can run the launcher from the game's Steam install dir and it'll take me to the login screen when I start the game that way. Steam doesn't see I'm playing the game that way but it's probably a good thing it's not tracking my time in this game.

Oh weird, I have a "Switch User" button to the left of "Change Nickname". But I've also been playing this (through steam) predating them adding options for automatic steam accounts so maybe it Just Knows.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I love the Ontos. It's made 6.7 USA a lot more bearable

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

7.0 USA is where it’s at. The T92 and F-84B-26 hit just right.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I’m dumb America with poo poo torps the bureau of ordinance gave me :(

Are you high enough in the US tree to have BBs or postwar CAs?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Farecoal posted:

I love the Ontos. It's made 6.7 USA a lot more bearable

I could never get the hang of the Ontos, but weirdly I do fairly well with the Japanese type 60 SPRG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Madurai posted:

Are you high enough in the US tree to have BBs or postwar CAs?

I’ve got the Mississippi then next highest are Fargo and Cleveland at 6.0 I believe.

Been dragging the 5.0 destroyer with the highest torpedo load. But by the time I realize a Scharn has killed the whole team the game is done.