Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Her first name is "神子", "Miko". It's a play on words.

Every game has her as Yae. In game she is directly referred to as Lady Yae, not Lady Miko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Note Block posted:

Every game has her as Yae. In game she is directly referred to as Lady Yae, not Lady Miko.

Thoma, frienship level 4
about Yae Miko:

Lady Miko? Wh—What about her? *sigh* Every time Miss Kamisato sends me out to deliver messages, my least-favorite destination is the Grand Narukami Shrine... Oh! N—Not because Lady Miko scares the bejeebers out of me, it's, uh... respect. Yes! She strikes respect deep into my heart, ahahahaha...

There could be other references to her as Lady Yae, but the character all refer to her as Lady Miko or Lady Guuji.

e: Her talent description refers to her as Lady Yae . It's still her last name.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2024

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
The most easy to find conversation with her referenced as Lady Yae:

Kano Nana: Heizou, what are you doing here, you little brat? Oh, and the Traveler, too. So I assume you're here to see Lady Yae? I honestly don't know who we're here to see.
Shikanoin Heizou: Hehe, hey c'mon cuz, maybe I'm just here to see you.
Kano Nana: Hmph, don't play your little games with me. If the Traveler isn't looking for Lady Yae, then you must be here looking for Etsu, right?

Kuroda: Lady Yae! I've finally found you.
Yae Miko: Kuroda? What are you doing here?

I do not want to spend an entire evening crawling through quest dialog and screenshots over something like this. Outside of the fact that she's been referenced to as a number of conflicting things (Yae Miko, Yae, Miko, Lady Yae, Lady Miko, Guuji Yae, etc) she is iteratively in 3 Hoyoverse games, all named Yae. I didn't call Yae Sakura "Sakura" either, I know some do and that's fine, I never gave it much thought as to which was more correct then. You want to call Yae Miko just Miko and that's fine too, I do not care and I'm not the judging others for the way characters are referenced. But people do have valid reasons for going with Yae over Miko. Yae being an expy does give a bit more weight to that portion of her name carried over between games. It also happens to be simple and unifying. Much like Raiden.

edit: For comparison, regarding Kamisato Ayaka in particular, she is referred to as Lady Ayaka, not Lady Kamisato. Ayaka is her first name, unless this is also some kind of point of contention? BUT IF IT IS, LEAVE ME OUT OF IT. I GOT RESIN TO SPEND.

edit edit: sorry one more thing

Note Block fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 5, 2024

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Her best friend calls her Miko.

Imperatrix Umbrosa Act 2:
Yae Miko: Ei, you're thinking about this all so conscientiously. I've only got as far as wondering whether I'll be able to sell entrance tickets to the Grand Narukami Shrine in the future.
Ei: Honestly, Miko...

Duel! The Summoners' Summit! Act 3:
Ei: Miko invited me here to experience the fun and festivities along with everybody else.
Paimon: Oh, Paimon gets it. The tournament venue is full of excitement and tasty food, and Miko didn't want you to miss out.

I call her Yae too, but Miko is part of her name.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 5, 2024

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
C6 and you didn't triple crown her :baduk:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
I literally call my best friend by his last name because there's like six people in our friend group with the same first name. The game itself references Yae Miko as simply Yae in her own skill talent. For comparison again, this is also done for Ayaka's alternative sprint. If you still can't see why some of us call her Yae then I simply do not know what else to say that can add to the conversation besides continued semantics.

CandyCrazy posted:

Imperatrix Umbrosa Act 2:
Yae Miko: Ei, you're thinking about this all so conscientiously. I've only got as far as wondering whether I'll be able to sell entrance tickets to the Grand Narukami Shrine in the future.
Ei: Honestly, Miko...

Duel! The Summoners' Summit! Act 3:
Ei: Miko invited me here to experience the fun and festivities along with everybody else.
Paimon: Oh, Paimon gets it. The tournament venue is full of excitement and tasty food, and Miko didn't want you to miss out.

I call her Yae too, but Miko is part of her name.

That's a great point. This part is tricky since she's also called Guuji Yae multiple times which has the correct lastname-firstname structure, but that can be chalked up to a number of things. Ei calling her Miko definitely makes Miko part of her name rather than her title so I was confused there. Paimon doing it forms a weird spot in my memory because I also remember Paimon was always hostile to her.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

C6 and you didn't triple crown her :baduk:

At c6, her skill is all you need! I refuse to spoil her bratty fox butt any further.

edit: FYI NINJOATSE.CX my fiancé has been reading along and he just said you destroyed me and "get humbled idiot" and you know what? VALID.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 5, 2024

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Note Block posted:

Tighnari and Yae are a match made in heaven

want to run this team so bad, but Tighnari is too greedy for those water flowers :arghfist:

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I never found Tighnari's lotuses particularly annoying to grab, especially with him in the party to mark the minimap.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
The lotuses upon being picked still look like something you can pick and I kinda just hate that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CandyCrazy posted:

is that what we're calling it now

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Chevrause is surprisingly fun and badass, I want to play as her more, immediately

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Raiden side of the banner is very complete, it seems to be what will probably become the new Raiden hypercarry team (Bennett, Chevy, Sara)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Meowywitch posted:

is that what we're calling it now

we will never know just like President Shinra

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm doing what I said I wouldnt and am farming the navia domain. But its actually for the healing set that can go on Mika, Chevreuse, and CR.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I just assumed calling her Yae was because people were being formal with a magical being of high social status. "Guuji Yae" and "Lady Yae" are just how you address someone formally, by title and surname. You wouldn't call her Miko unless you're a friend.

Also Yae is clearly not her first name because she runs Yae Publishing House and if it were her given name that would be like calling it "Frank's Plumbing Company."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nakar posted:

Also Yae is clearly not her first name because she runs Yae Publishing House and if it were her given name that would be like calling it "Frank's Plumbing Company."

Or naming a restaurant Wendy's.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Nakar posted:

I just assumed calling her Yae was because people were being formal with a magical being of high social status. "Guuji Yae" and "Lady Yae" are just how you address someone formally, by title and surname. You wouldn't call her Miko unless you're a friend.

Crazy Yae's Discount Publishing.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Re: Zhonglichat -- I downloaded this game in early September but didn't start playing until literally the day after Zhongli's banner ended, and I've been crying ever since. Does he show up in banners more often than once a year? :ohdear:

Do any of you play Ayato? Pages ago, I protested the need to rely on external websites/spreadsheets in order to figure out how best to build characters/teams, but I've now caved in to that need. HOWEVER...in the Ayato build guides I've seen (like this one), none of them recommend giving him HP artifacts, but his Elemental Skill description literally says: "After a Shunsuiken hits an enemy, it will grant Namisen, which increases the DMG based on Ayato's Max HP." So...why shouldn't I give him HP artifacts?

(That's what I've done, and his Elemental Skill is how he's doing the most damage....which is what I would expect, you know, given the in-game indication to build up his Max HP! Why are build guides steering us in another direction?)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you read his scalings (character -> talents -> click on E talent) and his E scales with atk. The HP thing is some additional damage added on top of it but % atk gives a lot more damage than % hp for him because the atk scaling is larger. He is also the most appropriate 4 gladiator user in game so I highly recommend using it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 5, 2024

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

:laffo:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

No Wave posted:

If you read his scalings (character -> talents -> click on E talent) and his E scales with atk. The HP thing is some additional damage added on top of it but % atk gives a lot more damage than % hp for him because the atk scaling is larger. He is also the most appropriate 4 gladiator user in game so I highly recommend using it.
Also it's totally not worth building Ayato's artifact set because the domain is exceedingly low value unless you also have Xiao (Vermilion may have other users but it's ultra niche), and the set is ping-dependent in weird ways. Sticking to Gladiator is vastly more resin-efficient for Ayato while also being consistent.

But yes, he does have some HP scaling, it just isn't enough to be better than ATK. It's basically there to take advantage of getting some HP% substats on his artifacts without them being a total waste, as he's somewhat vulnerable to taking damage while on-field (his skill requires standing still a lot and doesn't stagger enemies a ton), so he's just getting a little reward for making himself bulkier.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Vermilion has slightly more use now that Furina exists, but in most cases Hunter would be better for Furina enabled artifact sets.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Vermillion could have been an interesting choice for Dehya if Hoyo hadn't utterly screwed her over. Never not gonna be mad about that.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Re: Zhonglichat -- I downloaded this game in early September but didn't start playing until literally the day after Zhongli's banner ended, and I've been crying ever since. Does he show up in banners more often than once a year? :ohdear:

Do any of you play Ayato? Pages ago, I protested the need to rely on external websites/spreadsheets in order to figure out how best to build characters/teams, but I've now caved in to that need. HOWEVER...in the Ayato build guides I've seen (like this one), none of them recommend giving him HP artifacts, but his Elemental Skill description literally says: "After a Shunsuiken hits an enemy, it will grant Namisen, which increases the DMG based on Ayato's Max HP." So...why shouldn't I give him HP artifacts?

(That's what I've done, and his Elemental Skill is how he's doing the most damage....which is what I would expect, you know, given the in-game indication to build up his Max HP! Why are build guides steering us in another direction?)

If you're going to use external resources, keqingmains (https://keqingmains.com/) guides are a better bet than game8. For example, the Artifact Stats section of their Ayato quick guide summarizes "While Ayato can make use of HP% substats, they should not be prioritized over CRIT or ATK%." So HP is useful, but other stats are better.

And to help figure out when it's better, I'd point to the Genshin Optimizer (https://frzyc.github.io/genshin-optimizer/). Scan/upload your artifacts and it will analyze millions of potential artifact combinations to find the best average damage for an optimization target. As I've gotten better at evaluating artifacts, I usually arrive manually at one of the top 5 loadouts, but when I used it the first time, my Xiangliang's pyronado damage basically doubled.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
So after posting about how I got distracted from finishing the Archon quest a few days ago, I ended up getting in the mood to play through it after all... and man, that might end up being my favorite one in the game

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

So after posting about how I got distracted from finishing the Archon quest a few days ago, I ended up getting in the mood to play through it after all... and man, that might end up being my favorite one in the game

Don't forget to do Furina's character quest after, it's got some nice wrap up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That annoyed the hell out of me, that once the climax was done and you're doing the talking to various characters bit, furinas just disappeared.

I know the story quest is meant to be kind of the character moment and end to her arc, but I still would have liked to talk to her a bit in the immediate aftermath.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Feels like my Miko knowledge has increased. And then decreased and maybe increased a little. A net positive, maybe.

Re: Vermillion

When I was doing the sheets part of furina testing I found that on some teams with some characters using some weapons, vermillion was actually competitive with both their strongest personal sets and march hunter. The big standout here being Catch Raiden with Furina/Yelan/Jean. Makes sense, even with both Atk sands/cup on Raiden it's a team with very few Atk boosts compared to damage%. It is a pretty narrow group of units, tho, and if your healer is Benny you can pretty much forget it. Not really worth farming.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I won the 50/50 on Navia

Life...is good

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Captain France posted:

Don't forget to do Furina's character quest after, it's got some nice wrap up.

lol yeah, I went to double check immediately to see if she had one up once I was done. I'll probably do that after I do the event.

Garrand posted:

That annoyed the hell out of me, that once the climax was done and you're doing the talking to various characters bit, furinas just disappeared.

I know the story quest is meant to be kind of the character moment and end to her arc, but I still would have liked to talk to her a bit in the immediate aftermath.

Honestly it makes sense given everything; I'm sure it goes into the fallout but my initial reaction to her disappearing was she wanted to go off and die somewhere. Obviously she won't, but her last segment was pretty clear in that she had been trapped in a living hell for centuries, and just before that we had broken her in an attempt to get to the truth. Everything turned out to be fine in the end, but that's still a lot of trauma that she's had to endure with no outlet. I imagine her character quest will be a little dark in the beginning lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Meowywitch posted:

I won the 50/50 on Navia

Life...is good

congrats, she is a lot of fun to use imo

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I feel like the furina quest was intended to be done like a week or so after the archon quest tbh. Flows better that way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Navia is the best Fontaine character because she does awesome damage but most importantly has no bullshit health drain mechanics in a game where there is no passive out-of-combat health regen. Like sure that would screw up characters like Hu Tao but like just don't let her have it or whatever. There's zero reason to have to have a healer in your team in the overworld, it's just a pain.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I won the 50/50 on Navia

Life...is good

Be smarter than me and just mainline upgrading her skill first, don't even bother with the other things until it's maxed.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Neuvillette's self-damage leaves him at an HP threshold higher than most normal carries at full HP

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

FractalSandwich posted:

If we ever do a non-patch thread title change, this one

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Stare-Out posted:

Navia is the best Fontaine character because she does awesome damage but most importantly has no bullshit health drain mechanics in a game where there is no passive out-of-combat health regen. Like sure that would screw up characters like Hu Tao but like just don't let her have it or whatever. There's zero reason to have to have a healer in your team in the overworld, it's just a pain.

food?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I played for over a year without realizing what the NRE gadget did :shepicide:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hell yeah I love going into the menus to heal my characters after every random fight in the overworld.

And the food gadget is just a band-aid solution, point is that it's clunky as hell and no excuse not to have out-of-combat health regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stare-Out posted:

I feel like the reason to have a healer on your team in the otherworld is that this is a game where there is no passive out-of-combat healt regen.