Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Oh god. I’m sorry lol. I guess it speaks to how bad the franchise is that I was fooled by that (or I’m just an idiot).

Edit: in my defense it was linked in an article on The Ringer

Edit2: maybe that isn’t really a defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Whatever you think of the franchise, its trailers have always been stellar. Like legendary trailers for almost every mainline entry.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

https://youtu.be/JY12NsfJOLw?si=L-gIbAKpxVmCC85_

This looks very bad. And the trailer looks like it was cut by a complete amateur?

didnt click but love the thumbnail

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Jewmanji posted:

https://youtu.be/JY12NsfJOLw?si=L-gIbAKpxVmCC85_

This looks very bad. And the trailer looks like it was cut by a complete amateur?

The thumbnail looks like bad AI for an alien sex novel.

Edit: Oh, it’s fake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jewmanji posted:

Oh god. I’m sorry lol. I guess it speaks to how bad the franchise is that I was fooled by that (or I’m just an idiot).
Opinion as bad as the thumbnail

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Whatever you think of the franchise, its trailers have always been stellar. Like legendary trailers for almost every mainline entry.

I do remember the Prometheus trailer being insanely good but the covenant one didn’t do much for me. And I liked Prometheus fwiw. But the best Alien thing since Aliens is actually the game Alien: Isolation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really need to figure out how to block that channel specifically

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really need to figure out how to block that channel specifically

Replace with the right channel if/when it shows up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

Replace with the right channel if/when it shows up.

That keeps them off the front page but unfortunately it’ll still show them in search results and related content. (And the weird instagram feed)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stomping out clickbait and fake trailers is the real war on terror.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Hulu Exec: We need a Knives Out! Get me Mandy Patinkin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIn-D8FVvwA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol at that font.

Let's test fonts what makes people think "Glass Onion"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just make one called "The Coziest Lil' Murder" and be done with it!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Give me money and I will adapt the Hilary Tamar books so people will actually know what a great murder mystery looks like.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also lmao that title is so lame. Its what a random episode of a murder mystery series that went on for 7 seasons would be called, not something you would use for the whole thing.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Missed opportunity to call it “Mandy Patinkin’s Deductive Thinkin”

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

clown shoes posted:

Sadly for everyone involved they overshot past Knives Out! and landed on the much worse Glass Onion instead.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Imagine a world where they didn't include every story beat in the trailer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Svensken posted:

I watched some British Drama recently that literally had no new information in the film. This has to stop!!!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

clown shoes posted:

Mum: We have Agatha Christie at home hun.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Svensken posted:

it's usually a last resort

or the director is too involved

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Movie studios, sadly, are in the business of selling tickets, not making good movie watching experiences. Not ruining it matters much less than getting you to buy it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, sadly? I guess I don't view it that way. If you want to watch a movie that is designed to be purely a good watching experience take the effort to seek out indie films or watch them in fine arts theaters. Even then the creators have ulterior motives to enhance their careers and graduate to bigger budgets. But if you expect a group of people or studio or corporation to invest millions of dollars into something, they expect to see a return on that investment. It's kind of silly to expect them to spend millions of dollars of their money in order to entertain you without any motivation like they are your grandpa and your entertainment is the only thing that matters.

Not that that's what you're saying but I do encounter this philosophy a lot and the longer I'm in this business the less sense that mentality makes

edit: it turns out I have more to say on this even though I'm not having this conversation with you, but rather my brother who writes screenplays and sells movies somewhat successfully. We got drunk on New Year's and had a drawn out argument about this subject.

He tends to say things like he knows how to "fix Hollywood" by simply creating better stories. It's incredibly condescending, myopic and fairly naive. As if they haven't been trying to do that all along. He's under some kind of delusion that the best stories are the goal and the financial side will simply take care of itself and if it doesn't oh well it's not his money. This made me yell a lot. It's loving hard to balance transitioning a great script to a great film and then convincing everyone that great film is worth seeing and spending your money on. It's like a sports fan that thinks he can fix the offense if only the idiot coach would try to score more points than the other team. Ugh.

/vent

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 5, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

He tends to say things like he knows how to "fix Hollywood" by simply creating better stories. It's incredibly condescending, myopic and fairly naive. As if they haven't been trying to do that all along.

have they?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Svensken posted:

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but this is not a new trend. This Godfather trailer is basically stills of the entire movie, showing major character deaths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x0GpEZnwa8

Granted, this was an adaptation of a recent famous book, but they did not give a poo poo about giving away basically the entire movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When looking at a script the story being gripping is 100% part of the decision-making process. The thing is, scripts that are outstanding don't often translate to great movies. The script for The Campaign with Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis was one of the funniest things I've ever read. There are several factors that go into whether to purchase / option a script. Sellability is another. Will it have the event factor to get people into theaters?

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN made $10m in the US and was a nominee for best screenplay. If Searchlight / Fox / Disney wants to make that film they have to throw some bullshit Marvel properties up.

That movie opened to $184k domestically. Like, you have to balance those things. Martin McDonagh also had to have the pedigree in order for that film to get made. Without In Bruges (2008), Seven Psychopaths (2012) and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) it doesn't matter how incredible the script is it's going to take a lot for a studio to take that risk.

Please don't poke holes in my argument because well Banshees had this nuance going on or that situation. It's just the first example I grabbed

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es1pFnq_VJ4

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Jewmanji posted:

Ahahaha

The "Im Stupid therefore something else must be at fault " defense. Incredible to see this in person and not just in satire.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiimo posted:

I mean, sadly? I guess I don't view it that way. If you want to watch a movie that is designed to be purely a good watching experience take the effort to seek out indie films or watch them in fine arts theaters. Even then the creators have ulterior motives to enhance their careers and graduate to bigger budgets. But if you expect a group of people or studio or corporation to invest millions of dollars into something, they expect to see a return on that investment. It's kind of silly to expect them to spend millions of dollars of their money in order to entertain you without any motivation like they are your grandpa and your entertainment is the only thing that matters.

Not that that's what you're saying but I do encounter this philosophy a lot and the longer I'm in this business the less sense that mentality makes

edit: it turns out I have more to say on this even though I'm not having this conversation with you, but rather my brother who writes screenplays and sells movies somewhat successfully. We got drunk on New Year's and had a drawn out argument about this subject.

He tends to say things like he knows how to "fix Hollywood" by simply creating better stories. It's incredibly condescending, myopic and fairly naive. As if they haven't been trying to do that all along. He's under some kind of delusion that the best stories are the goal and the financial side will simply take care of itself and if it doesn't oh well it's not his money. This made me yell a lot. It's loving hard to balance transitioning a great script to a great film and then convincing everyone that great film is worth seeing and spending your money on. It's like a sports fan that thinks he can fix the offense if only the idiot coach would try to score more points than the other team. Ugh.

/vent

the problem is less with the profit motive and more with the desire for the profit margin to be as fat as possible…..frankly the movie industry was a lot healthier when studios were routinely spending $30 million to make $80 million, not gambling $500 million on a quarterly basis in hopes theyll score a billion dollar megahit

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

bows1 posted:

Ahahaha

The "Im Stupid therefore something else must be at fault " defense. Incredible to see this in person and not just in satire.

Me: good-naturedly calling myself an idiot
You: Ahahaha you loving idiot, you dipshit.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think the sticking point is that you trash talked a series a lot of people love. That’ll draw some poo poo talk.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
He probably just meant "it speaks to how bad the franchise has become" which isn't an unfair point. I love Alien, Aliens and even 3. But it dropped off real fast after that.

Alien and Aliens are pretty indisputably great. The rest? Eh.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
To be honest I'm not even attached to my original take. Alien and Aliens are classics, needless to say. I like Alien 3 enough, Alien 4 was bad, Prometheus was fun, and I didn't see Covenant but heard it was "ok".

However I do feel very strongly that anyone who likes the franchise should play Alien: Isolation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewmanji posted:

To be honest I'm not even attached to my original take. Alien and Aliens are classics, needless to say. I like Alien 3 enough, Alien 4 was bad, Prometheus was fun, and I didn't see Covenant but heard it was "ok".

However I do feel very strongly that anyone who likes the franchise should play Alien: Isolation.

Yeah I didn't take your original take as really serious either tbh. Just taking the piss while laughing at yourself. But this is CineD after all so people are going to take everything way too seriously!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

the problem is less with the profit motive and more with the desire for the profit margin to be as fat as possible…..frankly the movie industry was a lot healthier when studios were routinely spending $30 million to make $80 million, not gambling $500 million on a quarterly basis in hopes theyll score a billion dollar megahit

I guess. It feels like people see the billion dollar movies, skip the really good $184k movies and then say "Hollywood doesn't make good movies anymore".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In my experience, when people say "Hollywood doesn't make good movies anymore" they mean "Hollywood doesn't make good sci-fi/action blockbusters aimed at me anymore."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiimo posted:

I guess. It feels like people see the billion dollar movies, skip the really good $184k movies and then say "Hollywood doesn't make good movies anymore".

thats correct. the general moviegoing audience would probably see more of the cheaper movies if there wasnt an informal distinction between them and the billion dollar blockbusters. people probably dont think of most released movies as “real movies” unless they have at least a hundred million dollars spent on super bowl ads, billboards, brand deals, and toys. only horror movie studios are satisfied with a modest profit; every other movie has to either make box office records or win an academy award, or else they arent worth funding

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
There truly is a lack of mid budget movies like they used to make in the 80s and 90s. Granted those were pretty poo poo a lot of the time too but it provided another space for adults to go see stuff that wasn’t a huge effects driven spectacle or low budget indie. I guess all that kind of stuff is going directly to streaming and/or becoming a miniseries these days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that stuff has largely moved to TV, which sucks because it's not really suited to the medium and also when am I ever gonna make 10 hours to watch some dry adult drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was going to use August Osage County as an example for some point and then saw it made $74m globally.

Then I saw that it was Weinstein Company. Seems like the Weinsteins made a lot of those mid level dry adult dramas people are talking about. I don't really have a point, just something I noticed