Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think I'm gonna force myself to play through as a gith Wizard since all my previous playthroughs have been super melee heavy and my three previous classes were Monk, then Sword bard, then Paladin.

So far Laez is super loving bossy like more than usual even.

May also do all pure classes, no MCing for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The combo of veiny tadpole face, being caked with blood from combat, and the circus clown makeup is just incredible. How do I mod my game to make my gnome shout "woop woop!"?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Jay Rust posted:

Pillars of eternity 2 did it good

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous had a great level planner very similar to this screen. It was great for synergizing multiclassed characters and seeing what all abilities they get later.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

exquisite tea posted:

Having been through the game with multiple characters now, I think Larian balanced out the face character options really well. High Charisma will obviously let you breeze past the most common checks, but the most difficult extended sequences all tend to be Wisdom and Intelligence saving throws. A high Intelligence character usually gets an investigate option to lower their DC, and a Barbarian can literally shout their way past any problems. I think the only class that seems disadvantageous to use as your main character would be Fighters, since most strength checks aren't too serious and they don't get an easy out like Barbs.

Sick Gortash av, mate.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn’t see it mentioned, but for Blade Pact there are also a few cool weapons that specifically only work as pact weapons and improve your melee.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do non-returning weapons sometimes just disappear when you throw them? I made Karlach into a throw barb with the Returning Pike, and I thought it would be a good trick to give her the Sussur Dagger to be able to shut down mages by using one of her attacks to ding them with it, but I just tried and it hit but I couldn't see the dagger anywhere to pick it up. Tried reloading and tried throwing it at a few different targets and it always seems to just disappear if she hits someone with it. She has another non-returning magical spear (Vision of the Absolute) that doesn't seem to have this problem. Is this just an issue with the Sussur Dagger or daggers in general?

e: apparenty the Sussur Dagger only applies silence on melee hits anyway, so so much for that plan.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 5, 2024

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a weapon to use if you're not a lizard for melee, I feel like almost every greatsword I wanna use is racist towards non-lizards

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Entropic posted:

Do non-returning weapons sometimes just disappear when you throw them? I made Karlach into a throw barb with the Returning Pike, and I thought it would be a good trick to give her the Sussur Dagger to be able to shut down mages by using one of her attacks to ding them with it, but I just tried and it hit but I couldn't see the dagger anywhere to pick it up. Tried reloading and tried throwing it at a few different targets and it always seems to just disappear if she hits someone with it. She has another non-returning magical spear (Vision of the Absolute) that doesn't seem to have this problem. Is this just an issue with the Sussur Dagger or daggers in general?

At least two other people have complained in this thread about problems throwing the Sussur Dagger (although at least one of those was it getting stuck in the air, I think) so there definitely seem to be some issues with that weapon specifically.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah it seems the consensus is the Sussur Dagger doesn't believe in normal physics, so avoid using it as a thrown weapon.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I, also, tried throwing the Sussur Dagger and had it vanish from existence afterwards. Haven't seen that happen with any other thrown weapons, so I think it's just that one specifically.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I've had a Returning Pike disappear in the Moonrise Prison when the character tried to restealth after throwing it at the warden but before it returned. Turns out, it teleported to one of the guards inventories outside.

Might not be related to the sussur dagger, but maybe you could check all of the NPC inventories on the map.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I reworked Wyll to stay warlock and only use slots on a critical counterspell and darkness/hadar, giving him the obscured armour ring, phalar aluve two handing, and some extra on hit damage. To test this I fought everyone in the jail at moonrise and he outperformed Karlach. I don't think I'll bother with another class I just had to give it some thought.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

At that point just spawn in another one

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

My first playthrough was on PC but I'm now playing on PS5 with my wife and the seemingly "controller only" ability to hold X and search everything in a radius is so much better than pressing left Alt on keyboard

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Surely there's a mod?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Berzerker posted:

My first playthrough was on PC but I'm now playing on PS5 with my wife and the seemingly "controller only" ability to hold X and search everything in a radius is so much better than pressing left Alt on keyboard

Was well into my third PS5 years playthrough before I learned about the “press left joystick in” option as well to flag everything and see enemies’ line of sight

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

bird with big dick posted:

Making a new character for a new run, what's your favorite genital, mine is Penis B.

I think it’s penis C from memory. Whichever one is uncut; but doesn’t create a weird huge mangy patch of pubes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's really silly that the solution to the Cazador fight is to slightly put Astarion in the back so he can't trigger the cutscene where he's taken hostage and make it a 3 man party.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

I think it's really silly that the solution to the Cazador fight is to slightly put Astarion in the back so he can't trigger the cutscene where he's taken hostage and make it a 3 man party.

Why is that the solution? You can just free Astarion and beat Cazador's rear end. Takes a turn at best to free him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I accidentally fixed astarian to chill out because i didnt realize you didnt have to murder everyone

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

According to youtube the actual solution is to cast Daylight on Cazador when he can't see you so he burns to death

I'm working through on my first barbarian playthrough and I love that you can hiss at a cat to make it calm down and talk normally.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm approaching 35 hours in this game, but the combat is wearing me down to the point to where I want to quit. I'm getting real tired of a) getting ambushed and having party members knocked out before their turns can even come up, b) enemies who explode on death, and c) getting punted into a chasm to my death. I'm basically quicksaving every 5 minutes because I don't want to lose an hour of progress when something inevitably goes wrong. It's not even a matter of the game being "too hard", it's just that I'm not having fun playing around what the game seems to expect you to do.

I really enjoy turn based games and I have a good grasp on the underlying mechanics and how to equip and build characters. BG3 just keeps putting me in situations where it's 4 vs 8 or the enemies have gimmicks I can't figure out until I die to them once. I mean honestly, the enemy gimmicks are generally fine and are simple to deal with once you're aware of the solution, but it is beyond frustrating when you spend 20 minutes on a fight with 12 characters only to have one of your dudes get kicked into a lava pool and killed right at the end. Shove might be the most egregious part of combat and the most annoying for me. It's supposed to be a 5 foot movement to break engagement, not a 40 yard punt over a cliff face.

I love everything about this game except the combat system. I've spent a lot of time inspecting enemies and reading up on the game mechanics, but no amount of systems knowledge is going to fix something like the Nere encounter where he sics 8 Duergar on you on top of having to fight him too, and then having your PC kicked into the lava pool on turn 1. I eventually got through that combat scenario by replaying that section a few times, but there was no way I was going to beat it the first time around given the order I played the area in originally. The solution I narrowed down was freeing Nere, running away before the dialogue had a chance to trigger, then spamming Fireballs on the clumped up group on top of Web. So you know, classic Baldur's Gate 1 strat.

On the other hand, I had a lot of fun with the Grym golem fight, because the fight gimmick was telegraphed via lore notes and inspecting the creature to figure out its vulnerabilities. I had to reload once because my party was out of resources the first time around and I had to long rest. But it was set up as a boss encounter and I should have refreshed my party when the autosave notification popped up.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

What difficulty are you playing on? I've heard that tactician will be much more aggressive with that sorta stuff so you might think about dropping it if you're not enjoying the combat

Balanced felt fine to me, I felt like the combat was reasonably challenging without ever being frustrating (minus a big encounter in act 3 that I had to ultimately cheese because dang, what a difficulty jump)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Picking your battles and how you fight them is an important part of the game. Scanning ahead in the environment and arranging your dudes so that you're in an advantageous position relative to ledges, lava etc. are as much a part of learning the combat as casting magic missile. Remember that anything the bad guys can do, you can do the same tenfold, so take sweet revenge and shove THEM off cliffs instead of getting caught in a bad position. You can't always control when you'll enter combat, but most of the time you can get a feel for when a battle is coming and switch to another character to move them to the right spot if you have to. In the early game especially, using consumables like speed potions and scrolls are super helpful. Don't hoard them and use whatever you can to gain an advantage. If you're truly struggling, then I guarantee there are aspects of the combat you haven't yet intuited, because there are many ways to completely break encounters without even being particularly cheesy. Which is fine, not everybody should expect to be an expert on Day 1! So there's no shame in knocking down the difficulty a peg until you do.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm playing on Balanced right now. I think my problem is just the encounter design itself and not the difficulty. Just a lot if small things that add up. Fights either feel too easy or too hard with little median.

Honestly, I think I just wish the game had like a Real Time with Pause setting or something I could toggle. Kind of like Pathfinder.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I love this game, am on my sixth playthrough, but my faith is being mightily tested by non-Karmic dice. Nine straight misses, two of which were back-to-back Critical Misses, on a 90% chance to hit. It almost wiped my Hard Mode party that breezed through all Githyanki encounters in Act 1 and 2 because the dice are a real butt. I’ve never missed so many times in a row, with or without karmic dice on. :negative:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm playing on Balanced right now. I think my problem is just the encounter design itself and not the difficulty. Just a lot if small things that add up. Fights either feel too easy or too hard with little median.

Honestly, I think I just wish the game had like a Real Time with Pause setting or something I could toggle. Kind of like Pathfinder.

One thing that might help is to make sure you're using consumables, I'm a big hoarder in other games but they make a huge difference in bg3. That and really thinking about positioning to avoid shoves, one thing I had a lot of success with is doing things like rotating around my opponent to move without taking an opportunity attack and make sure I wasn't as close to the death pit lol

Also it sounds like you already know this, but the heavy cc spells are really good. Especially in the huge fights with tons of enemies, it was legit the only way I could beat a huge fight in act 3

There's no getting around the fights with lots of targets especially taking awhile though, but I found them pretty fun even still. And there's not too many throw away fights vs one or two mooks which helps imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm kinda not liking this Evil Wizard Durge run. Being a bad Wizard is fun but I want to make the super unethical choices instead of being straight-up psychotic. Plus I killed off Gale early and I think it would be more fun to take him along and taunt him with how much of a better Wizard I am. Think I might restart as a normal Tav.

It's a shame you have to do so many bad things to get Dark Shadowheart because she's a lot more fun as a true baddie than a wine mom.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Weird Pumpkin posted:

One thing that might help is to make sure you're using consumables, I'm a big hoarder in other games but they make a huge difference in bg3. That and really thinking about positioning to avoid shoves, one thing I had a lot of success with is doing things like rotating around my opponent to move without taking an opportunity attack and make sure I wasn't as close to the death pit lol

Also it sounds like you already know this, but the heavy cc spells are really good. Especially in the huge fights with tons of enemies, it was legit the only way I could beat a huge fight in act 3

There's no getting around the fights with lots of targets especially taking awhile though, but I found them pretty fun even still. And there's not too many throw away fights vs one or two mooks which helps imo

Yeah I'm juicing my dudes up a good bit when I get stuck on something. The alchemy system has been good for consumables.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tae posted:

Is there a weapon to use if you're not a lizard for melee, I feel like almost every greatsword I wanna use is racist towards non-lizards

The best 2h weapon in the game doesn’t give a gently caress what race you are; and you can pick it up as soon as you get to baldur’s gate if you want.

Balduran’s giantslayer. Does extra damage equal to your strength modifier (so basically tavern brawler for weapons); does extra damage to large enemies, and lets you enlarge yourself in combat (which also increases weapon damage by 1d6)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just got a bunch of blue dorf slavers to help me kill nere and pay me 500 dollars for the privilege on my first run.

Vargatron posted:

This is my nightmare.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Listen, I loved the Pillars of Eternity games, but the RTWP combat was 100% the worst part of both. They'd have been better with purely turn-based combat and a lower density of encounters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Angry Diplomat posted:

Listen, I loved the Pillars of Eternity games, but the RTWP combat was 100% the worst part of both. They'd have been better with purely turn-based combat and a lower density of encounters.

Same (well not really poe1)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

JBP posted:

I just got a bunch of blue dorf slavers to help me kill nere and pay me 500 dollars for the privilege on my first run.

I did this and then when they wanted to take their slaves I immediately double crossed them. :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I figured I'd betray both Nere and the slavers by calling in the ogres to bash em. Unfortunately as soon as the ogres saw the gnomes, the gnomes all went agro too. So I reloaded and killed the baddies the hard way.

You know all those knockback arrows you've been finding and not using? *Really* fun in that fight.

One weird thing is that the duergar merchant that usually shows up in that room (not the cool merchant that asks the architecture questions) never appeared at all. It's not that big of a deal, but it did mean I was unable to get his greatsword with the unique line attack action.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's because he's the same dude you push off the raft on the way there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ah that would do it. I regret nothing though, since his entire squad joined him in the lake before any of them could act.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Monathin posted:

I did this and then when they wanted to take their slaves I immediately double crossed them. :colbert:

:same:

I'll allow them to help me bash Nere, but the gnomes were non-negotiable (until I do an evil run)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Something I didn't know until this last run was that you can side with Nere against the duergar, let the gnomes go free, then kill him anyway for all the rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

Thundarr posted:

One weird thing is that the duergar merchant that usually shows up in that room (not the cool merchant that asks the architecture questions) never appeared at all. It's not that big of a deal, but it did mean I was unable to get his greatsword with the unique line attack action.

exquisite tea posted:

That's because he's the same dude you push off the raft on the way there.

Wait...he's a MERCHANT?! :psyduck: I've killed him every time on all of my (aborted) playthroughs so far. drat, I've never seen the stuff he sells. Though I always make sure to kill the Duergar on the raft rather than shoving them and if you do that his greatsword is lootable on his body.