Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Branch Nvidian posted:

I've literally never had this happen to me or to anyone else I know. If it's happening with several other people it's more likely to be something on your end causing it. How old is your SIM card?

tbh it mostly only happens with this one dude primarily. i'll tell him to go kick rocks (more than i already do)

to answer your question, my sim card is brand new bc i switched to an iphone that was e-sim then back to a pixel with a brand new sim since my old one was, like, de-registered or whatever after switching to e-sim and back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Almost every single person I talk to is on WhatsApp. I can only think of 1 that I use RCS/text with. It's weird that this is all still an issue in the US. When I travel to a variety of places even businesses all use WhatsApp. Nothing is text anymore. iMessage isn't even a part of the equation.

Why would you want to encourage people to use a platform owned by Meta?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

because it works

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My friends are on iPhone but we all used WhatsApp then switched to Signal and everyone here uses one of the two.

This seems like an American problem where they absolutely love texts? For some reason?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

it's really not that difficult to understand at all. it's 100% apple's fault from a strategy standpoint.

most people are not posting on a hyper niche Internet forum. most people don't understand the format of places like something awful or reddit which is more mainstream but still niche.

why do you think the feed is one of the most popular software innovations of the last decade? people are lazy. they open an app and scroll and scroll. instagram, facebook, twitter, tiktok, etc.

if i have an iphone and i text everyone i know from the app that comes with the phone and i can append a 👍 or 😂 to a message and make a little sticker out of a photo someone sent me, why would i use anything else?

now let's say you become friends with someone with an android phone and none of that stuff works. and images and videos send looking like poo poo. and a group thread behaves all wonky. you're not going to download another app and create a login and password (that your text message app doesn't need) just to talk to one person. you're going to tell them they should get an iphone.

most people aren't in information technology roles. most people are marketers and copywriters and sales people. most people don't know what 2FA or encryption is. people are lazy, and apple capitalizes on that laziness. tim cook himself addressed the problem of text message compatibility by saying if it were your grandma, that your grandma should just get an iphone. and that's the exact same attitude most iphone users also have.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alan_Shore posted:

My friends are on iPhone but we all used WhatsApp then switched to Signal and everyone here uses one of the two.

This seems like an American problem where they absolutely love texts? For some reason?

In Australia it's all SMS and FB Messenger, I think

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's really not that difficult to understand at all. it's 100% apple's fault from a strategy standpoint.

most people are not posting on a hyper niche Internet forum. most people don't understand the format of places like something awful or reddit which is more mainstream but still niche.

why do you think the feed is one of the most popular software innovations of the last decade? people are lazy. they open an app and scroll and scroll. instagram, facebook, twitter, tiktok, etc.

if i have an iphone and i text everyone i know from the app that comes with the phone and i can append a 👍 or 😂 to a message and make a little sticker out of a photo someone sent me, why would i use anything else?

now let's say you become friends with someone with an android phone and none of that stuff works. and images and videos send looking like poo poo. and a group thread behaves all wonky. you're not going to download another app and create a login and password (that your text message app doesn't need) just to talk to one person. you're going to tell them they should get an iphone.

most people aren't in information technology roles. most people are marketers and copywriters and sales people. most people don't know what 2FA or encryption is. people are lazy, and apple capitalizes on that laziness. tim cook himself addressed the problem of text message compatibility by saying if it were your grandma, that your grandma should just get an iphone. and that's the exact same attitude most iphone users also have.

Yes this is definitely the case but from what I understand it's also a very uniquely American issue as we rely on native messaging apps and the rest of the world use WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

BonoMan posted:

Yes this is definitely the case but from what I understand it's also a very uniquely American issue as we rely on native messaging apps and the rest of the world use WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram.

i'd love to know more about what makes it less of a hurdle outside of the US. from what i understand, apple's dominance on the market isn't as strong so that might have something to do with it.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Whatsapp got its hold everywhere but the US because the US had expensive data plans and slower adoption from SMS thanks to roaming agreements with carriers that allowed people to still use that method of communication even in bumfuck nowhere. Then Apple came along and now you have people throwing literal fits over colored bubbles. I've been seeing apps like Signal become more popular thanks to things like people becoming more privacy aware or learning that your interactions within the app trump any SMS app especially if it's cross platform.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Why would you want to encourage people to use a platform owned by Meta?

You must be American

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, uh, imagine us Android folks using a product made and owned by a company whose revenue stream is entirely centered around acquiring and selling your personal information.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Apple are really the ones who did it right. Google and Samsung dropped the ball so hard they created the mess they're in in the US now.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Most of my friends outside NA use apps like WhatsApp because their usage doesn't count against their monthly data limits. I would be really interested to find out how those types of deals came to be.

Personally, I found getting my parents on Google Messages to be hard because one used Samsung Messages and the other used whatever messaging app Verizon maintains. Neither of them wanted to change but I was sick of the potato images. Nothing like having state-of-the-art sensors only for MMS to make the image look as if it came from a 0.3MP Mavica that uses floppies for storage.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just as a heads-up to anyone with a Galaxy smartwatch, there is a very stupid bug with a very stupid solution that I've posted about in the WearOS thread.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lucky for me all the remaining people using Facebook Messenger switched to Signal during that big outage a few years ago.

Almost no one uses SMS with me except for scammers. Got a really weird one claiming I had a $6.82 balance on the toll road. That's ridiculous because it's impossible to spend that little on the 407. And I don't drive.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just as a heads-up to anyone with a Galaxy smartwatch, there is a very stupid bug with a very stupid solution that I've posted about in the WearOS thread.

Lmao excellent timing since I just gave my Galaxy Watch 5 to my father after I switched over to iPhone.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Watch 5 still works perfectly, so it's just another bizarre Android thing that only affects the chosen few

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Whatsapp took off in Germany because SMS used to massively overpriced by the network companies, compared to the relatively cheap low speed data rates. They dropped their prices since then but it was too late.
SMS was even expensive enough that most people spent the time to teach grandma to use whatsapp and on their old phone. And that made it popular enough that you can buy feature phones that are whatsapp compatible. And interact with many businesses through whatsapp.
Now we are stuck, because nobody wants to explain the meaning of meta's purchase of whatsapp to grandma in order to motivate her to plan a day where you can explain signal to her.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Imagine texting in this day and age. It's sick

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

VictualSquid posted:

Whatsapp took off in Germany because SMS used to massively overpriced by the network companies, compared to the relatively cheap low speed data rates. They dropped their prices since then but it was too late.
SMS was even expensive enough that most people spent the time to teach grandma to use whatsapp and on their old phone. And that made it popular enough that you can buy feature phones that are whatsapp compatible. And interact with many businesses through whatsapp.
Now we are stuck, because nobody wants to explain the meaning of meta's purchase of whatsapp to grandma in order to motivate her to plan a day where you can explain signal to her.

The same happened in other European countries, not just because SMS was overpriced but also because MMS was even more overpriced. I remember seeing prices of like €1,50 per message for MMS back in the day in The Netherlands. Not to mention group chats on Whatsapp quickly became a thing and those are still sticking around.

Meanwhile over here in Bulgaria both Viber and Whatsapp peacefully coexist although Viber has a bigger share and most companies will use it for communication. The only thing SMS is still used for is paying for parking or 2FA.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

VictualSquid posted:

Yes, it's always hilarious when people just spout "switch everyone to signal" or some poo poo when these conversations come up. They do not live in the real world

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, it's always hilarious when people just spout "switch everyone to signal" or some poo poo when these conversations come up. They do not live in the real world

Not only do I live in the real world (whatever that implies), but it's exactly what I did and it worked!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

No one expects it to happen over night. What I don't understand is people who can't stand the burden of running more than one app.

When exchanging contact information with people I just say, "my preference is Signal or What's App if you don't use that". That means nothing to a lot of people, but people will generally check it out eventually if it comes up often enough.

I've had people I would never have considered savvy (like gen X neighbours) ask me if I use Signal because they're not comfortable with Facebook. Anyway sorry your world sucks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My sister, despite being an iPhone user, uses Google Chat (formerly Hangouts) for texting, both with me and with our sibling group chat.

However, that's a bridge too far for our dad, so it's just regular SMS text with him. Although I just remembered he does have Signal, but rarely uses it.

Otherwise, I have some friends and group chats on WhatsApp, a few more on Signal, and then I have regular SMS. Plus FB/IG Messenger.

I don't mind adding apps and using them for different people/purposes. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Considering how people are willing to download just about any garbage app, it was an easy task for my friends and family to switch. It's even spread to further friend groups because surprise: pictures and group messages work regardless of platform! Or how easy it is to drop or add people to threads. Don't get how people still aren't adopting it quicker.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I don't mind adding apps and using them for different people/purposes. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Yeah my attitude now is they're just notifications, and app switching is so fast. Not sure how it is on other models, but I noticed recently the Contacts app on my OnePlus actually throws all the Signal & WhatsApp contacts in too as separate entries if they're not in my address book (to my chagrin ... I'd rather disable that but couldn't see how).

It's funny though, I used to be obsessed with Trillian and having all the networks run in one app/programme. Gave up eventually when networks started actively blocking that from working.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Literally no one I know uses Signal and I'm not taking on a loving goony rear end side project to make them switch. Whether or not you rant online about Meta owning WhatsApp, the reality is that it's the defacto norm and getting people worldwide to change off it will basically be impossible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Literally no one I know uses WhatsApp. Or signal. It's all text or discord.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

Literally no one I know uses WhatsApp. Or signal. It's all text or discord.

Have you considered living in the real world?!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mom if you need me, you've got plat, send me a PM

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It feels like Discord was hot poo poo at the height of the pandemic among "normies" but it's dropped precipitously.

Anyway clearly there are regional/age/hobby reasons for who uses what. Dumb thing to argue about or have strong opinions over.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

am I the only one still using ICQ

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah I deleted my remarks about ICQ/AIM/WLM.

But I stopped using it when a Russian hacker stole it (somehow he knew to register an ancient hotmail address I had let lapse, and ICQ would restore your password to any email you had registered with it even if it wasn't on your profile any longer) ... I found out by googling my number. By then though I only had one active friend still on it.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

CLAM DOWN posted:

Literally no one I know uses Signal and I'm not taking on a loving goony rear end side project to make them switch. Whether or not you rant online about Meta owning WhatsApp, the reality is that it's the defacto norm and getting people worldwide to change off it will basically be impossible.

Goony rear end side project? lol dude you just tell them to download the app and then you message each other and you're done.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have no friends and my job requires no digital communication so really, I am the truly lucky one in that I don't have to care about any of these messaging apps.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

A god among men

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not taking on a loving goony rear end side project

:dafuq:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blurb3947 posted:

Goony rear end side project? lol dude you just tell them to download the app and then you message each other and you're done.

You tell them to:

Download the app
Register their phone number
Fill out their profile
Create a pin
Then add the contact all so that they can exchange messages with someone who already has a native way to exchange messages that's already setup.

No, it's not like they have to run shell commands or something, but it's friction to communicate that people don't want to deal with when there's already something that exists.

Meanwhile, if two iPhone people on iMessage want to talk to each other, with iOS 17, they have to place one phone over the other and the contact info is shared and they can start messaging with all the features that iMessage has. Frictionless. That's why people stay in that garden. This is especially true for teenagers, when making social connections are at their peak, since nearly 90% of teenagers have iPhones.

It feels like we have this discussion every 6 months. Whatsapp is big in Europe because SMS was expensive and iPhone marketshare is smaller. In the US, unlimited texts was a pre-smartphone account perk that naturally rolled into smartphones and apple piggybacked a message platform off of that and holds the dominate marketshare. Thus, you use iMessage or you use SMS to talk to people on iMessage if you are on Android.

I don't have a dog in this race as my friend group has been on Google Chat (or one of it's previous incarnations) forever. That, also, was due to convenience. Most of my friends had ditched the iPhone after the 3g or 3gs so they left Apple before iMessage became a thing. They also were already on gmail accounts and used Google Talk to message from their computer in the post AIM/ICQ world. So, when they got android phones it was easy to just keep doing that. Inertia. Talk became Hangouts became Chat and that's where we are today.

Otherwise, my parents are on Android so we have RCS between us and my sister is iPhone so she remains the only real SMS thread I have. I'm not going to go through the effort to try to get her, my parents, and all my friends on something else. My sister won't do it because she uses iMessage to communicate with her family and she wouldn't switch all of them over as my niece and nephew use iMessage to talk to all their friends. Without full buy in, it's just adding a 3rd message option to the mix and I really have no reason to do that when SMS works fine for talking to my sister.

All of that said, I would love for Google just to straight up merge Chat and Messages and ripoff the whole iMessage implementation soup to nuts. Then the google servers could do the handoff to RCS once implemented on iOS and I would have one unified messaging experience (including features).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

You tell them to:

Download the app
Register their phone number
Fill out their profile
Create a pin
Then add the contact all so that they can exchange messages with someone who already has a native way to exchange messages that's already setup.

You make some good points but you have to do all this to send a text too, right? Minus the app part:

You get their phone number
Create a profile
Fill out the profile
Text in your text app

The only "extra" is to download the app which takes seconds. WhatsApp and Signal both automatically add contacts from your address book, just like your texting app does. I don't know what "create a pin" means so I'm ignoring it.

I get why people (only in the US) stick with texting, but it's not some Herculean effort to switch to Signal (and you also get the added security that SMS doesn't have).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Laughed at an image