Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

cat botherer posted:

drat, this nerd sounds like an absolute pain in the rear end.

lmao

while the boy scout stuff is cringe, having organization, discipline and procedure is something that is absolutely advantageous to a military. Guerrillas emphasize that and look at Hamas hurting the poo poo out of the IDF even though they have an air force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Dude was also a landlord so gently caress that nerd and his self righteous horseshit.

edit: LMAO

quote:

In the Tillman case, officers were expected to cover up and put a positive spin on Tillman’s death. That violates the Uniform Code of Military Justice, not to mention morality, the Cadet Honor Code, the Cadet Prayer, the Boy Scout Oath, and any other perinent code that addresses integrity. In other words, officially, what McChrystal did in the Tillman case is prohibited. But I say that it’s really mandatory.

Retromancer has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jan 5, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

scoffing at the boy scout thing is correct, but what's even funnier is it actually has tangible cachet in the military: enlisting as an eagle scout gives you an extra rank

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

scoffing at the boy scout thing is correct, but what's even funnier is it actually has tangible cachet in the military: enlisting as an eagle scout gives you an extra rank

come the gently caress on LMAO

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Owlbear Camus posted:

seriously?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Eagle Scouts who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces may receive advanced enlisted rank in recognition of their achievements.[61][62][63] For commissioned officer programs, attainment of Eagle Scout is considered a positive factor in determining service academy appointments and award of college ROTC scholarships."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

drat so an IDF Eagle scout can make general by 23

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
tbf the scouts are probably more competent and trustworthy than the US military

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

cat botherer posted:

drat, this nerd sounds like an absolute pain in the rear end.

thats what everyone thinks until you're ordered on a road march and all your vehicles are deadlined

we "lost" (a marine unit also staying on the training base we were on stole it while a guy watching a bunch of gear took a poo poo, as a prank) an m4 and not only did the entire base get shut down but the ATF got involved. the marines must have had an "oh poo poo oh gently caress" moment because they ended up cramming it (sans optic) in a rusty locker in the middle of the woods. a rare occasion where a hands-across-america everyone thought was bullshit (the item was stolen, not lost, why the hell would it be in the middle of the woods) actually yielded fruit, an entire battalion of dudes hooting and hollering in real, authentic celebration is a sight to behold

you also get a rank up if you "refer a friend", which most unscrupulous recruiters interpret as "whoever enlists after you from the same high school", and for doing some "future soldier" training pre-shipping to basic. really if you go in any rank under PFC you got shafted and if you see anyone going in as an e4 you can safely assume they're a loving idiot because they could have went in as an o-candidate

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Jan 5, 2024

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mind you going from E-1 to E2 is like 3 months of service or something. Going in with I think 2 years worth of college credits gives you an E-3 rank and a bachelors gives you an E-4 if you decide to enlist instead of going through officer school.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The reason I knew about this is I knew a guy in tech school who sewed on E3 out of basic. I asked him why he had an extra stripe and thought he was pulling my leg for a good few minutes when he told me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Justin Tyme posted:

really if you go in any rank under PFC you got shafted

sounds a lot like cspam tbqh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
An enlisted member can also get a promotion or two while waiting to ship to basic if they take some online classes and the physical fitness test. Usually someone at E-1 is either brand brand new to the army with zero prep or got in trouble and lost the automatic rank they get very early on.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Owlbear Camus posted:

when I was in at the end of the fiscal year my unit would have a big budget Potlatch because if we didn't spend our entire budget would be cut and it was harder to justify raising it afterwards if you needed something. so we just made stupid purchases at the 11th hour of the FY to keep in place.

we'd update the TV in the day room, all the computers and monitors, new furniture etc. just Brewsters millions that poo poo.

even as an idiot 22 year old I imagined that same thing across the whole air force and dod and it didn't seem like a sustainable way to Do Military

One year we got a foosball table so nice I’m pretty sure it was imported from Germany.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
An eagle scout knows how to use a map, compass, and likely a protractor. probably worth a promotion for that alone.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

An eagle scout knows how to use a map, compass, and likely a protractor. probably worth a promotion for that alone.

they teach you this in the pre-shipping training stuff that counts towards a rank up which takes like a month or two, way easier than the years of boy scouting requires

i guess what i am saying is if you want to minmax your 3 year free college ticket, skip the boyscouts and hope someone from your school enlists after you but before you leave for basic

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah paying to become an eagle scout is absolutely not the “efficient” way to go from E- to E-3. But I understand why the government decided someone who already has a basic understanding of dismounted land navigation and camping can be a higher paid private than some random recruit.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
an eagle scout has demonstrated that they can ignore physical, mental and sexual abuse happening to their peers, making them the perfect culture fit for the united states military

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah paying to become an eagle scout is absolutely not the “efficient” way to go from E- to E-3. But I understand why the government decided someone who already has a basic understanding of dismounted land navigation and camping can be a higher paid private than some random recruit.

yeah this is true, and i assume out of pocket that the whole historical/foundational purpose of scouting is heavily military in nature anyway similar to school gym class and school lunch programs

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPMe_9XyMlo

Russia's first giant #panda cub born at Moscow Zoo in August 2023 was named Katyusha this Wednesday, which was selected among the votes in a name contest which attracted over 380,000 participants.
The cub is now four months old, has a lot of teeth and walks very well. She recently had a routine check-up and weighed 8.67 kilograms and was 79.5 centimeters long including the tail, according to Moscow Zoo.
Being taken good care of by "Panda Mama" at Moscow Zoo, Katyusha and her parents Ru Yi and Ding Ding live a happy life in Russia.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

us military sounds like a Bethesda rpg

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Justin Tyme posted:

yeah this is true, and i assume out of pocket that the whole historical/foundational purpose of scouting is heavily military in nature anyway similar to school gym class and school lunch programs

Yeah that's exactly why Scouting got invented, originally for the British Empire rather than the USA but still. Not a coincidence that basic firearms, landnav, and camping training along with paramilitary uniforms and a rank structure are key features of all the Anglosphere Scouts.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah that's exactly why Scouting got invented, originally for the British Empire rather than the USA but still. Not a coincidence that basic firearms, landnav, and camping training along with paramilitary uniforms and a rank structure are key features of all the Anglosphere Scouts.

i'm pretty sure his peers thought that baden powell being a pedophile was a point in his favor regarding establishing the boy scouts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Crazycryodude posted:

Do American scouts not learn about the Battle of Mafeking and do the activities about it? I remember we made Zulu cowhide shields out of cardboard and then learned about the veldt for an orienteering activity. We learned about telegraph lines and semaphore, that’s where you get the badge for Morse Code.

Then we learned about Kitchener, Gordon, obviously Baden-Powell and Mahon, Louis Botha, Jan Smuts and Christiaan de Wet.

The Boer War was a big part of Scouts and Venturers.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jan 5, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Do American scouts not learn about the Battle of Mafeking and do the activities about it? I remember we made Zulu cowhide shields out of cardboard and then learned about the veldt for an orienteering activity. We learned about telegraph lines and semaphore, that’s where you get the badge for Morse Code.
lmfao what the gently caress dude

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lmao definitely not, what little history did come up in my scouting experience was all American myth-making, either classic whitey Davy Crockett stuff or occasionally appropriating some native history or story or ceremony.

Which makes sense, I did American scouts which is supposed to produce American-indoctrinated kids. All the technical skills sound very similar, just with a right wing American coat of paint for the cultural trappings.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I didn’t do scouts, but my middle school friends who did only ever mentioned wars and poo poo in the context of going to a reenactment of a civil war battle (northern state) and going to an old American Revolution historic site.

Mostly they went hiking and camping. And a lot of their projects were either flood prevention or volunteering after floods, because their chapter was in a region with frequent river basin flooding.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the most interesting thing that happened in scouts for me was I put a cucumber in the foil pouch you make and throw on the fire and it turned out strange but edible

Erdoğan has basically shut down scouting though

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mawarannahr posted:

clearly someone has never re-enacted the battle of Rorke's Drift :rolleyes:

Griz
May 21, 2001

I didn't do scouts but I lived in central NJ so there was probably lots of american revolution type stuff on top of all the camping etc

they still have the morse code merit badge but now it's part of the radio badge which has some really interesting stuff like amateur radio direction finding https://www.scouting.org/merit-badges/radio/

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Then we learned about Kitchener, Gordon, obviously Baden-Powell and Mahon, Louis Botha, Jan Smuts and Christiaan de Wet.

Yeah there's a Baden Powell Drive near me, and the Voortrekkers would've taught me all that stuff, but then Apartheid ended and the Voortrekkers were abolished.

It's good they were abolished but I am kinda sad I didn't learn those skills and history.

Justin Tyme posted:

they teach you this in the pre-shipping training stuff that counts towards a rank up which takes like a month or two, way easier than the years of boy scouting requires

i guess what i am saying is if you want to minmax your 3 year free college ticket, skip the boyscouts and hope someone from your school enlists after you but before you leave for basic

According to a local SADF member I know, Americans coming to ZA for training exercises have a lot of trouble with maps.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

goddamn looking up what enlisted get paid is crazy. no wonder no one signs up anymore

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Scouts are doofy as gently caress but if you don't have the organizational wherewithal to get a lot of dumbshit 20 year olds to do a lot of boring, tiring, aggravating, and often pointless tasks, you don't actually have a fighting force at all, you have an adult daycare.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Scouts are doofy as gently caress but if you don't have the organizational wherewithal to get a lot of dumbshit 20 year olds to do a lot of boring, tiring, aggravating, and often pointless tasks, you don't actually have a fighting force at all, you have an adult daycare.

please stop engaging in Tropes against the most moral army in the world

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

goddamn looking up what enlisted get paid is crazy. no wonder no one signs up anymore

Yeah, it's not much. For a PFC with less than 2 years in, who's married or has a kid, at a base with a rather low cost of living/rent, it's about $52,000 a year. Though only taxed as if it was $28k/year, so either paying zero taxes or getting a tax credit back.

For a PFC with less than 2 years who is single, no kids, lives in barracks housing, it's only $34,000 per year, taxed as if it were $28k/year.

This all assumes no signing bonus, no job-related bonuses, etc.

For a young sergeant with 3 years in, about $63,000 a year, taxed as if it was less than $40k/year.

The wages go up a lot if you're stationed somewhere with a high cost of living, but you know... then it gets soaked up by the higher cost of living unless they're living somewhere mega-cheap on purpose.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Jan 5, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Jan 5, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

lmao

while the boy scout stuff is cringe, having organization, discipline and procedure is something that is absolutely advantageous to a military. Guerrillas emphasize that and look at Hamas hurting the poo poo out of the IDF even though they have an air force

Yup, exactly.

Like, in Somalia. The only reason the 'tragedy' was only 18 guys dead, when they turned a quick raid into a total clusterfuck where they were surrounded, is because the militias didn't/couldn't coordinate themselves. If the militias had better command and control, all those guys would have been toast.

Frosted Flake posted:

Nah, American scouts already have plenty of indigenous cultures to appropriate from as it is.

And generally, were not taught very much if anything about the Boer War or similar conflicts in 1800s Africa. I didn't know anything about it till I started following Liverpool FC and then the whole story of why an end stand is called the Spion Kop ( other stadiums also call stands this too).

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jan 5, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, it's not much... $52,000 a year.

what the gently caress jobs do you all have that this isn't that much around here you're definitely going to find people willing to go to exotic places and kill the locals if they get this annually

I guess poo poo holes like Utah are what's keeping the recruiting numbers from completely tanking lol lmao I love it here